Current Affairs Today 19th March 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
Ordnance Factories Day:
- Ordnance Factories Day is observed all over India on 18th March every year.
- The production of the oldest Ordnance Factory of India, which is located at Cossipore, Kolkata was commenced on 18th March 1802.
- On this occasion, the Ordnance Factory, Field Gun Factory, Small Arms Factory, Ordnance Parachute Factory and Ordnance Equipment Factory acknowledge the day with great pomp.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
President has released Rs. 1,000 and Rs. 10 commemorative coins on Nabakalebar festival
- President Ram Nath Kovind has released Rs. 1,000 and Rs. 10 commemorative coins on the occasion of Nabakalebar festival at a function held in Puri, Odisha.
- These coins were release to mark the festival which is a symbolic recreation of sibling deities — Lord Jagannath, Balabhadra and Devi Subhadra.
- Nabakalebara festival is an ancient ritual that is observed in the Shree Jagannath Temple at Puri, Odisha at predefined time according to Hindu Calender.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT STATE
Garhwal rifle war memorial hostel has inaugurated in Uttarakhand:
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat, along with former Chief Minister and presently MP from Pauri Garhwal Major Gen(retd) Bhuvan Chandra Khanduri and Army chief Bipin Rawat inaugurated the Garhwal rifle war memorial hostel for boys and girls at Daanda Lakhaund, Dehradun
|CM||Trivendra Singh Rawat|
|Governor||Krishna Kant Paul|
Ptilomera Nagalanda: New species of water strider found in Nagaland:
- Scientists from Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) have discovered new species of water strider named Ptilomera nagalanda Jehamalar and Chandra in Nagaland. It was found in river Intanki in Peren district of Nagaland.
- This newly discovered species belongs to Ptilomera agriodes genus. It measures about 11.79 mm and has long slender legs. It has orange with black stripes on dorsal side and pale yellowish brown ventral part of body.
Sajibu Nongma Panba Cheiraoba celebrated in Manipur
- The traditional festival of Sajibu Nongma Panba Cheiraoba was celebrated in Manipur on 18th March to mark the beginning of a new year.
- The festival is mainly observed on the first lunar day of the lunar month Sajibu (March/April) by the Meitei community, a majority ethnic group of Manipur.
|Governor||Najma A Heptulla|
PM Modi Lays Foundation Stone Of Navi Mumbai Airport
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the Navi Mumbai International Airport site in Panvel, nearly 21 years after it was mooted.
- The first phase the Rs 16,700-crore project is expected to be completed by 2019. This is the country’s largest greenfield airport. Navi Mumbai airport will have capacity of handling 60 million passengers.
UP Government has released ‘Ek Saal-Naee Misaal’ for highlighting its achievements:
- To mark the completion of its first year in office, the Yogi Adityanath government in Uttar Pradesh would release a film and a booklet highlighting its achievements today.
- A programme will be held at the Lok Bhawan in Lucknow to mark the occasion and Chief Minister Adityanath will be attending it, an Uttar Pradesh government spokesperson said.
- The film ‘Ek Saal-Naee Misaal’ will be screened and a booklet with the same title will be released at the programme.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital||Lucknow|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Muthoot Finance Ties Up With Global IME Bank
- Muthoot Finance, the flagship company of Muthoot Group has tied up with Global IME Bank to expand its money remittance services between Indo Nepal Corridor.
- Muthoot Finance is the only NBFC to extend the money transfer services from India to Nepal.
- In FY16, Muthoot Finance had collaborated with Nepal based Prabhu Bank for money transfer business wherein the company completed 2.2 lakh transactions worth Rs 4.69 billion. With Global IME Bank, this is the company’s second tie-up in the region.
SEBI Raises Currency Derivative Trade Limit To $100 Million
- Capital markets regulator SEBI raised the exposure limit under exchange-traded currency derivatives trading for residents and FPIs to USD 100 million across all currency pairs involving the Indian rupee.
- The move will help entities engaged in Forex transactions to maintain their currency risks in a better manner.
UN Issues $951 Million Appeal For Rohingya Refugees:
- The United Nations has issued an appeal for 951 million Dollars to meet the needs of nearly 900,000 Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh.
- Over the months since the most recent Rohingya influx began, it has become the world’s fastest-growing refugee crisis with tens of thousands fleeing by land and sea daily from Myanmar’s northern Rakhine state at the peak of the emergency.
- So far, the emergency response from September 2017 to February 2018 has received 321 million Dollars of the 434 million required.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENT AND RESIGNATION
Li Keqiang Appointed for Second Term as Chinese Premier:
- China’s ceremonial legislature voted to approve Li Keqiang’s appointment as the country’s secondary leader of the ruling Communist party.
- The largely rubber-stamp National People’s Congress voted 2,964 to two to approve Li’s appointment for a second five-year term as Chinese Premier.
- China’s Premier traditionally serves as the country’s top economic official.
Mauritius President Ameenah Gurib-Fakim resigns over a financial scandal
- Mauritius President Ameenah Gurib-Fakim has resigned after being embroiled in a scandal over the use of a credit card to buy luxury personal items. She will leave office on 23rd of this month.
- It has been alleged that Gurib-Fakim made personal purchases, buying jewellery and clothing using a credit card provided by London-based Planet Earth Institute.
- Africa’s only female head of the state, Gurib-Fakim is an internationally renowned scientist and biologist.
|Mauritius Capital||Port Louis|
Vladimir Putin Re-elected as the Russian President:
- Russian President Vladimir Putin won a landslide re-election victory, extending his rule over the world’s largest country for another six years at a time when his ties with the West are on a hostile trajectory.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
Two-day ministerial meeting of World Trade Organisation begins in New Delhi today:
- Representatives from 50 countries will gather in New Delhi today for a two-day informal World Trade Organisation (WTO) ministerial meeting.
- The meeting will provide an opportunity to engage in free and frank discussions with the hope that it will lead to political guidance on some major issues.
- In the absence of Ministerial guidance at the Eleventh Ministerial Conference (MC 11) that took place in December last year in Buenos Aires, it is hoped that the meeting in New Delhi will provide an opportunity for ministers to explore in greater detail options on different issues for re-invigorating the WTO.
1st India-Japan Workshop On Disaster Risk Reduction Inaugurated
- The Vice-Chairman, NITI Aayog, Dr Rajiv Kumar inaugurated the First India-Japan Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction in New Delhi.
- The two-day workshop is being jointly organised by the Ministry of Home Affairs, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and Government of Japan.
- The workshop marks the beginning of the formal implementation of the initiatives agreed under the Memorandum of Cooperation signed between the two countries on Disaster Risk Reduction in September 2017.
7th Women’s Science Congress Inaugurated In Manipur
- The Women Science Congress, 2018 was inaugurated in the backdrop of the ongoing 105th Indian Science Congress on its 3rd day being held at Manipur University, Imphal.
- Keshari Nath Tripathi, Governor of West Bengal inaugurated the 7th Edition of Science Congress for women.
- Vijay Laxmi Saxena, Former General Secretary, India Science Congress Association (ISCA) and Mrs.Namita Gupta, Scientist, Dept.of Science & Technology graced the function as guests of honours.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
President Inaugurates Festival Of Innovation And Entrepreneurship in New Delhi:
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurates a Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship and present Gandhian Young Technological Innovation awards at Rashtrapati Bhavan, in New Delhi.
- The five-day festival is an initiative to recognise, respect, showcase, reward innovations and to foster a supportive ecosystem for innovators.
- It is being organised by Rashtrapati Bhavan in association with the Department of Science and Technology and the National Innovation Foundation-India.
(KUSUM) scheme inaugurated to harness solar power for rural India:
- The Indian government is in process of formulating ‘Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthan Mahabhiyan (KUSUM) scheme’ to harness solar power for rural India. The scheme will allow to setup grid-connected solar plants in rural areas.
- KUSUM will build 10,000 MW solar plant and provide 1.75 million off-grid agricultural solar pumps. The program aims to boost farmers’ income as they can sell their additional power to the main grid produced by solar plants located on their lands.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Worldwide Cost of Living Report 2018- Singapore Most Expensive, Damascus Least
- Singapore remains the most expensive city in the world, according to The Economist Intelligence Unit’s Worldwide Cost of Living report 2018.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) published the Worldwide Cost of Living index 2018 for 133 cities across the world, based on a survey that compared more than 400 individual prices across over 150 products and services.
- Damascus, the capital of war-ravaged Syria, is the cheapest city for living in the world, followed by Venezuela’s capital Caracas.
WEF Energy Transition Index 2018: India Ranks 78th, Sweden Tops:
- India has been ranked at 78th, lower than its emerging market peers like Brazil and China, among 114 countries on the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) energy transition index. The list was topped by Sweden.
- The report titled ‘Fostering Effective Energy Transition’ ranks countries on how well they are able to balance energy security and access to environmental sustainability and affordability.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
C-437: Indian Coast Guard commissions interceptor boat:
- The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) has commissioned interceptor boat ICGS C-437 at Porbandar, Gujarat as part of its efforts to strengthen coastal security. ICGS C-437 shall be based at Jakhau under administrative and operational control of commander Coast Guard Region (North West).
- The interceptor boat is 27.8m long, has displacement capacity of 106 tonnes and has maximum speed of 45 knots. It is capable of undertaking multifarious task such as surveillance, search and rescue, interdiction and rendering assistance to boats and craft in distress at sea.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Sri Lanka Pays Tribute To J Dalmiya With Book ‘A Tribute To Jagu’:
- Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) paid tribute to former BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya with a book titled, ‘A Tribute to Jagu’.
- The cricket association felicitated Dalmiya posthumously as the greatest non-Sri Lankan contributor to Sri Lankan cricket.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Indian Wells 2018- Complete List of Winners
- The Indian Wells Masters, also known as BNP Paribas Open and the WTA Indian Wells Open, is an annual tennis tournament held in March at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California, United States.
|1.||Men’s Singles||Juan Martin Del Potro
|2.||Women’s Singles||Naomi Osaka
|3.||Men’s Doubles|| John Isner (United States)
Jack Sock (United States)
|Bob Bryan (United States)
Mike Bryan (United States)
|4.||Women’s Doubles||Hsieh Su-wei (Chinese Taipei)
Barbora Strycova (Czech Republic)
|Ekaterina Makarova (Russia)
Elena Vesnina (Russia)
India clinch Nidahas Cricket Trophy by defeating Bangladesh in nail-biting final in Colombo
- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win the Nidahas Cricket Trophy final in Colombo last night. In a nail biting final, the visitors clinched the T20 Tri-series title with Dinesh Karthik’s last-ball six.
- Washington Sundar is Man of the Series.
- Chahal is Emerging Player of the series.
English Cricketer Kevin Petersen Announces Retirement:
- Kevin Petersen, 37 years old, has officially announced his retirement from the International cricket.
- A prolific scorer in all forms of the game, Petersen has 8,181 runs in 104 tests, 4,440 runs in 136 ODIs and 1,176 runs in 37 Twenty20 Internationals. Petersen is England’s fifth highest test run-scorer.
Vidarbha win Irani Cup after posting 800 in 1st innings
- Vidarbha claimed the Irani Cup trophy after posting a total of 800/7d in the first innings of their drawn final against Rest of India.
- The match featured a 286-run innings from 40-year-old Wasim Jaffer.
- Notably, Vidarbha remained unbeaten throughout the domestic first-class season, winning seven and drawing three of the 10 first-class matches they played this season.