Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
International Migrants Day 2018 observed on 18th December
- The International Migrants Day 2018 observed on 18th December 2018 across the world. In accordance with the Resolution 55/93 of the United Nations General Assembly(UNGA), the International Migrants Day is observed every year on 18 December.
|International Migrants Day 2018||Migration with Dignity|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
China launches its first-ever space mission ‘Chang’e-4’
- China launched its first-ever space mission ‘Chang’e-4’ to land a robotic craft on the far side of the Moon. It was launched on a Long March 3B rocket from the southwestern Xichang launch centre, which will explore the Von Karman crater. The mission, which consists of a stationary lander and a rover, will perform a variety of science work and plant a flag for humanity in a region that remains largely unexplored to date.
Merriam-Webster selects ‘Justice’ as its 2018 Word of the Year
- Merriam-Webster has declared ‘Justice’ as the 2018 Word Of The Year. As per Merriam-Webster says, the word ‘Justice’ is used in many phrases like racial justice, social justice and obstruction of justice.
Lok Sabha passes Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2016
- The Lok Sabha has passed the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2016, which seeks to empower the transgender community in the country by providing them a separate identity. The bill which was introduced in the parliament two years ago has been passed with 27 amendments.The primary objective of the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2016, is to define transgenders and prohibit discrimination against the transgender community.
India to give USD 1.4 billion financial assistance to Madives
- The Union government has decided to give USD 1.4 billion to the island nation of Maldives. This decision came after Maldivian president Ibrahim Mohamed Solih met Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his 3-days visit to India. This is Solih’s first foreign trip after he was sworn in as the President of Maldives in a ceremony on 17th November 2018, which PM Modi had also attended.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Govt raises its contribution in NPS to 14% from 10%
- Union Cabinet decided to raise the contribution of Central Govt to National Pension System (NPS) corpus of its employees from 10% to 14%. This will increase in eventual accumulated corpus of all central govt employees covered by NPS. There are 18 lakh central government employees at present. The revenue impact from higher govt contribution to employees’ corpus is expected to be around Rs.2,840 crore for 2019-20 and will be in nature of a recurring expenditure. With this decision, NPS has acquired parity with provident fund savings, which are not taxed at any of three stages of saving, profit accrual or exit.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENT AND RESIGNATION
Madhavi Divan appointed as the new Additional Solicitor General
- The Union government has appointed advocate Madhavi Goradia Divan as the Additional Solicitor General (ASG) in the government of India. She will hold office of ASG till 30 June, 2020 and will appear in the Supreme Court on behalf of the government of India. She is the third woman to hold the post of ASG. Senior advocate Indira Jaising was the first woman in India to become ASG. Pinky Anand was the second woman and she still holds the post.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
IIT Kharagpur wins the DSCI Excellence Award 2018
- IIT Kharagpur won the DSCI Excellence Award 2018 for cyber security education by Data Security Council of India (DSCI), an industry body on data protection set up up by NASSCOM. The institute was awarded for its focused curricula and research work in cryptography, hardware security, cyber security, Internet of Things (IoT) security, and network security.
Dr. Rajanish Giri awarded the DBT Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (IYBA) 2018
- Rajanish Giri has been awarded the DBT Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (IYBA) 2018. He is selected for his proposed innovative idea on Zika virus Capsid Folding and inhibitor discovery. Additionally, he has proven expertise on understanding and solving the fundamental problems of protein folding in various structured and Intrinsically Disordered Proteins.
Catriona Gray from Philippines wins Miss Universe 2018 Title
- Catriona Elisa Gray from the Philippines was crowned as the Miss Universe 2018, beating 93 contestants from other countries. She was crowned by Demi Leigh Nel-Peters from South Africa, the Miss Universe 2017 title winner.
Prof. Rattan Lal won the ‘Glinka World Soil Prize 2018’
- Rattan Lal , a distinguished university professor of soil science at the Ohio State University, won the ‘Glinka World Soil Prize 2018’ in a ceremony at the headquarters of UN FAO in Rome for his remarkable contribution to sustainable soil management.
- The Glinka World Soil Prize, named after the pioneering Russian scientist Konstantin D. Glinka, is considered the highest honour in the soil science profession.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) extended to all poor households
- The central Government has decided to extend the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) to all poor households in the country. Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) is the government’s flagship programme to provide free cooking gas (LPG) connections. The PMUY scheme targets to reach out to provide free LPG connections to 80 million families by 2020.
- With the expansion of the PMUY scheme, all the poor households can avail the benefit from PMUY and it will not be mandatory to be part of the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) list or the seven identified categories under the programme to be eligible for the scheme.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indra Navy-18 Joint Exercise concluded between India and Russia
- Indra Navy-18, a bilateral naval exercise, between India and Russia concluded on 16th December 2018. It was a 4-day maritime exercise that took place in the Bay of Bengal. INDRA NAVY or India – Russia Navy Exercise is being conducted since 2003. The first edition of this exercise was conducted in May 2003 in India.
Fact Sheet: Indian Navy’s IFC-IOR
- The Indian government will soon inaugurate the information fusion centre (IFC) to boost the maritime security and Information exchange in the for the Indian Ocean Region(IOR).
- The Information Fusion Centre (IFC) for the Indian Ocean Region will be set up by the Indian Navy at the Information Management and Analysis Centre (IMAC) in Gurugram, Haryana.
NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft find evidence of water on asteroid Bennu
- NASA’s Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft found water locked inside asteroid Bennu. Bennu is too small to have ever hosted liquid water, but this finding does indicate that liquid water was present at some time on Bennu’s parent body, a much larger asteroid.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Ajay Rohera created world record for highest first-class score on debut
- Rookie Madhya Pradesh opener Ajay Rohera has created world record for highest first-class score on debut. He scored 267 not out against Hyderabad in their Ranji Trophy Elite Group-B Cricket in Indore.
Joshna Chinappa wins National Squash Women’s Singles Title
- Joshna Chinappa won the National Squash Women’s Singles title after she defeated Urwashi Joshi in the final match of the competition by 9-11, 11-1, 11-6, 11-5. It was her 16th National title and with this win, she has equalled the record of Bhuvaneshwari Kumari of winning 16 titles.