Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS IMPORTANT DAYS
World AIDS Vaccine Day:
- World AIDS Vaccine Day, also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day, is observed annually on May 18.
- HIV vaccine advocates mark the day by promoting the continued urgent need for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection and AIDS.
International Museum Day:
- International Museum Day is an international day a celebration that held every year on or around 18 May, coordinated by the International Council of Museums.
|Theme||“Hyper connected museums: New approaches, new publics”|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Class X certificates for ‘gurukul’ students:
- Students who have studied at ‘gurukuls’ and ‘veda pathshalas’ will soon be eligible for Class 10 and Class 12 certificates, making them eligible to apply for jobs that have a Class 12 qualification.
- The National Institute of Open Schooling, which is an autonomous institution under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), has set the ball rolling to open such opportunities for Sanskrit learners whose traditional learning did not enjoy certification.
Air India could pay up $8.8 mn to passengers:
- State-run carrier Air India may have to pay a penalty of $8.8 million to 323 passengers of its May 9 Delhi-Chicago flight, which was delayed as a fallout of withdrawal of relaxations given on flight duty time limitation (FDTL) of the crew.
- Flight AI-127 was bound for Chicago on May 9 with a flight time of 16 hours. Due to inclement weather, it was diverted to nearby Milwaukee, 19 minutes flight time from Chicago.
Suresh Prabhu launches IP mascot – IP Nani
- The Commerce and Industry Minister, Suresh Prabhu has launched the Intellectual Property (IP) mascot – IP Nani – at the conference on National Intellectual Property Rights Policy in New Delhi.
- Mascot IP Nani is a tech-savvy grandmother who helps the government and enforcement agencies in combating IP crimes with the help of her grandson “Chhotu” aka Aditya.
First International Rail Coach Expo held in Chennai
- The first-ever International Rail Coach Expo (IRCE) held in Chennai, Tamil Nadu to focus on Rail Coaches and train sets.
- Many reputed rail car and equipment builders showcased their technology and products in this expo.
- The three day expo was hosted by Integral Coach Factory (ICF) Chennai, under the Ministry of Railways, in coordination with CII (Confederation of Indian Industries) and RITES Ltd.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: CABINET APPROVALS
Approves National Policy on Biofuels, 2018
- The Union Cabinet approved National Policy on Biofuels – 2018 in order to promote biofuels in the country.
- Biofuels in India are of strategic importance as it augers well with ongoing initiatives of Government such as Make in India, Skill Development and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
Approves Micro Irrigation Fund under NABARD
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved initial corpus of Rs.5,000 crore for setting up of dedicated Micro Irrigation Fund (MIF) in NABARD (National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development) under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY).
- The allocation of MIF under PMKSY will be made in instalments of Rs 2,000 crore and Rs 3,000 crore in 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- Under it, NABARD will extend loans to state governments during this period.
- The lending rate under MIF has been proposed at 3% lower than cost of raising fund by NABARD.
Approves enhancement of budget for Network for Spectrum Project:
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) gave its approval for enhancement of budget by Rs.11,330 crore for Network For Spectrum (NFS) project.
- This is over and above Rs.13,334 crore already approved by Cabinet Committee on Infrastructure in July, 2012.
- With this, total budget for the network for Defence services has now gone up to Rs. 24,664 crore.
Approves setting up of Central University in Andhra Pradesh
- The Union Cabinet has given its in-principle approval for establishing Central University by name of Central University of Andhra Pradesh in Janthaluru village of Ananthapur District of Andhra Pradesh.
- It also approved the proposal for operationalization of Central University in transit campus.
Approves setting up of new AIIMS in Deoghar, Jharkhand
- The Union Cabinet approved setting up of a new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Deoghar, Jharkhand under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
- It will serve dual purpose of providing super speciality health care to population and help to create large pool of doctors and other health workers in this region to be available for primary and secondary-level institutions and healthcare facilities being created under the National Health Mission (NHM).
- Under PMSSY, Government is planning to set up 20 AIIMS across the country.
- So far AIIMs have been established in Bhubaneswar (Odisha), Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh), Raipur (Chattisgarh), Jodhpur (Rajasthan), Rishikesh (Uttarakhand) and Patna (Bihar).
Approves strengthening commercial disputes resolution mechanism of CPSEs:
- The Union Cabinet approved strengthening commercial disputes resolution mechanism of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) inter se and also between CPSEs and other Government Departments and Organizations.
- The new strengthened mechanism puts in place institutionalized mechanism within Government for speedy resolution of commercial disputes of CPSEs without matter being referred to the Courts of law.
Approves establishment of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation at Bhopal:
- The Union Cabinet approved establishment of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR) at Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- NIMHR, Bhopal will be first of its kind institute in country in area of mental health rehabilitation.
Haryana hikes incentive for intercaste marriage:
- The Haryana government has doubled the incentive amount for intercaste marriages under the Mukhyamantri Samajik Samrasta Antarjatiya Vivah Shagun Yojna with immediate effect, an official said.
- Under the scheme, an incentive of Rs.2.5 lakh would be provided in the form of fixed deposit jointly in the name of the couple.
|CM||Manohar Lal Khattar|
|Governor||Kaptan Singh Solanki|
Guwahati now has India’s first solar powered railway station
- Guwahati now has India’s first railway station run by solar power. The project of installing solar panels was commissioned last year in April 2017.
- Around 2352 solar modules with a capacity of generating 700 kwp has been set up over the roof of the Guwahati railway station. Solar panels have been installed at the roof-top solar power plant.
Yeddyurappa sworn in as Karnataka chief minister
- BJP legislature party leader B S Yeddyurappa was sworn in as the chief minister of Karnataka.
- The 75-year-old Lingayat strongman was administered the oath of office and secrecy by governor Vajubhai Vala at a ceremony at Raj Bhavan.
- This is Yeddyurappa’s second stint as chief minister of Karnataka.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI has directed private sector lender Dhanlaxmi Bank to keep the appointment of a non-independent director:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has directed private sector lender Dhanlaxmi Bank to keep the appointment of a non-independent director in abeyance till further orders.
- “It is hereby informed that Reserve Bank of India vide letter dated May 16, 2018, has advised the bank that the proposal for the appointment of Arun Rao M. G. as a non-independent director on the board of the bank may be kept in abeyance, till further advice,” Dhanlaxmi Bank informed the exchanges without citing any reason for the regulatory action.
BSE becomes first Indian stock exchange to get US SEC’s DOSM recognition
- BSE Ltd (earlier known as Bombay Stock Exchange) has become the first Indian exchange to be designated as Designated Offshore Securities Market (DOSM).
- DOSM status has been given by United States Securities and Exchange Commission (US-SEC).
- DOSM status will allow sale of securities to US investors through trading venue of BSE without registration of such securities with US SEC.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENT AND RESIGNATIONS
Uttam Pacharne appointed regular Chairman of Lalit Kala Akademi
- The President of India has appointed Shri Uttam Pacharne, as regular Chairman of Lalit Kala Akademi. Shri Pacharne is an eminent artist and sculptor.
- He is a widely respected person in the field of art and has held various important positions.
- Currently, he is Member of Advisory Committee, Kala Academy, Goa and Member of Advisory Committee, P.L. Deshpande State Lalit Kala Academy and Director, Janseva Sahakari Bank Borivali.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
‘Raaya’ becomes India’s official entry for Cannes:
- A short film, ‘Raaya’, about an autistic girl has been chosen as India’s official entry into the Cannes Film Festival 2018.
- The film is scheduled to exhibit at the 71st Cannes Festival on May 18, second to last day of the festival.
- ‘Raaya’ has already bagged the ‘Special Festival Mention Award’ at Dada Saheb Phalke Film Festival 2018. Also, it has been shortlisted for other International film festivals in Los Angeles and Romania.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Women’s T20 squads for the women’s T20 challenge at Wankhede Stadium on May 22:
- The BCCI has named the IPL Supernovas and Trailblazers teams, to be led by Harmanpreet Kaur and Smriti Mandhana respectively, for the women’s T20 challenge at Wankhede Stadium on May 22.
- IPL Trailblazers: Smriti Mandhana (capt.), Alyssa Healy (Aus, wk), Suzie Bates (NZ), Deepti Sharma, Beth Mooney (Aus), Jemimah Rodrigues, Danielle Hazell (Eng), Shikha Pandey, Lea Tahuhu (NZ), Jhulan Goswami, Ekta Bisht, Poonam Yadav and Dayalan Hemalatha. Coach: Tushar Arothe
- IPL Supernovas: Harmanpreet Kaur (capt.), Danielle Wyatt (Eng), Mithali Raj, Meg Lanning (Aus), Sophie Devine (NZ), Ellyse Perry (Aus), Veda Krishnamurthy, Mona Meshram, Pooja Vastrakar, Megan Schutt (Australia), Rajseshwari Gayakwad, Anuja Patil and Taniya Bhatia (wk). Coach: Biju George.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Yamunabai Waikar passes away:
- The acclaimed Lavani singer and Padma Shri recipient, Yamunabai Waikar passed away in Satara district, Maharashtra at the age of 103.