Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates, those who are preparing for IBPS/RBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
September 18 is World Bamboo Day
- Every year September 18 is celebrated as World Bamboo Day. World Bamboo Day is a day of celebration to increase the awareness of bamboo globally. Where bamboo grows naturally, bamboo has been a daily element, but its utilization has not always been sustainable due to exploitation.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
ISRO inaugurates S–Band Polarimetry Doppler Weather Radar at Sriharikota spaceport
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has inaugurated S–Band Polarimetry Doppler Weather Radar (DWR) at Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota spaceport, Andhra Pradesh. It will be used for observation of weather system up to range of 500 km and also for early warning of severe weather events.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Mt Everest Friendship Exercise: Nepal and China conducts second joint military exercise in Sichuan province
- The second edition of Nepal-China joint military exercise named Mt Everest Friendship Exercise-2018 (Sagarmatha Friendship-2018) commenced in China’s southwestern Sichuan province. The 12 day long joint exercise will focus on combating terror and disaster management trainings. Sagarmatha is the Nepali name for Mt Everest, which stands in between both the countries.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Kerala Tourism wins two Pacific Asia Travel Association gold awards
- Kerala Tourism has won two prestigious gold awards of Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) for its innovative marketing campaigns. These awards were won by Kerala Tourism’s Yalla Kerala print campaign and Live Inspired Posters under PATA’s Travel Advertisement Print and Travel Poster categories respectively. Both campaign and posters were developed and designed by Stark Communications which is advertising agency of Kerala Tourism.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Prashant Kumar appointed as CFO of SBI
· State Bank of India announced that Prashant Kumar has taken charge as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Bank. Before Kumar, Anshula Kant, who has been promoted as Managing Director of SBI, was the CFO.
Centre to merge Bank of Baroda, Vijaya Bank, Dena Bank
- The Centre proposed the merger of state-owned Bank of Baroda, Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank in order to create India’s third-largest bank. The decision was made during the ministerial panel meeting that oversees merger proposals of state-owned banks. It was headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, The decision is because Dena Bank had been placed under the prompt corrective action framework. The Centre believes that when the weaker bank becomes a merged entity, it will eventually become a stronger entity.
Reserve Bank to purchase government securities worth Rs 10,000 crore on September 19
- The purchase of the government securities (G-secs) by RBI will be done through Open Market Operations (OMO) for Rs 10,000 crore. The central bank will conduct the OMO through a multi-security auction – of five G-Secs (maturing in 2020, 2022, 2027, 2030, and 2042) using the multiple price method.
Punjab National Bank bagged Hindi implementation award Rajbhasha Kirti
- State-run Punjab National Bank (PNB) bagged the “Rajbhasha Kirti” award for outstanding performance in implementing the Official Language Policy during 2017-18, the bank said. The award, under the category of ‘Nationalised Banks and Financial Institutions in Region A’, was presented by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu to PNB Chief Executive and MD Sunil Mehta, the bank said in a statement here.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
Jaipur Literature Festival Begins In Houston
- The festival is the world’s largest free literary gathering, started with a soulful music performance by Indian Sufi singer Zila Khan. The inaugural session also saw Congress leader and writer Shashi Tharoor discuss his book “Why i am a Hindu” with writer Namita Gokhale.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India ranks 127 in gender inequality index (GII)
- According to gender inequality index (GII) of the report, India has a GII of 0.524, ranking it 127 out of 160 countries in 2017, while Pakistan is ranked 133 and Bangladesh 134.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
ISRO launches two satellites NovaSAR and S1-4 using PSLV-C42
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched two satellites— NovaSAR and S1-4–belonging to United Kingdom (UK) based Surrey Satellite Technology Limited (SSTL). Both satellites were injected into Sun Synchronous Orbit (pole-to-pole orbit) at an altitude of 583 km after the launch.
Yudh Abhyas 2018: India, US joint military exercise held in Chaubattia, Uttarakhand
- India and United States joint military exercise Yudh Abhyas 2018 commenced at Chaubattia, Uttarakhand. It will be fourteenth edition of exercise in Yudh Abhyas series which was started in 2004 under US Army Pacific Partnership Program. This will be fourth time exercise will be conducted at Chaubattia in Uttarakhand
MPATGM: DRDO successfully tests low-weight indigenously developed man-portable anti-tank guided missile
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted first successful trials of indigenously developed third generation Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM). Two rounds of missile were flight tested in operational configuration in two days from Ahmednagar range in Maharashtra.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Eliud Kipchoge set a new marathon world record
- Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge set a new marathon world record in Berlin with a time of 2hr 1min 39sec. He covered 42.2km in the Marathon. The 33-year-old Olympic champion smashed the previous record by Kenyan runner Dennis Kimetto who clocked 2:02:57.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITURIES
Former Odisha minister Dolagobinda Pradhan passes away
- Freedom fighter and former Odisha Minister Dolagobinda Pradhan died at his home following a short term illness, in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.