Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
International Human Solidarity Day 2018
- The United Nations’ (UN) International Human Solidarity Day is annually held on December 20 to celebrate unity in diversity. It also aims to remind people on the importance of solidarity in working towards eradicating poverty.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
The Department of Post has issued a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Rajkumar Shukla
- The Department of Post has issued a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Rajkumar Shukla in New Delhi on 18th December 2018. The stamp was released as a tribute to the contribution made by Rajkumar Shukla in the launch of Champaran Satyagraha in the year 1917.
Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS) to procure anti plagiarism software
- The Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS) announced that it has decided to procure anti-plagiarism software. The move is after it stumbled upon cases of students copy pasting articles as part of their thesis. It said that all thesis and dissertations submitted by students will be checked for plagiarism. The university, however, is yet to decide on the modalities of which software will be procured, but will be seeking expert opinion on the technical specifications and will call for tender.
CCEA approves setting up of Eklavya Model Residential Schools
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has given its approval for the revamped Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRSs) scheme. Under this, Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRSs) will be set up in every block where Scheduled Tribes population is more than 50% and has at least 20,000 tribal persons.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
USA pulls out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty
- Russia has confirmed that the United States of America has decided to cancel the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty signed between Russian and the USA in 1987. The USA had already announced the withdrawal decision from the INF treaty in October 2018.
|US Capital||Washington DC|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Nasscom partners with IIT Madras for skill development
- Nasscom, IT industry body, announced its partnership with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras for reskilling students and employees in the Information Technology sector and IT-enabled Services (ITeS). The partnership is aimed at building an able workforce to support the industry and other stakeholders. Nasscom aims to get India accelerated on the path to becoming the global hub for talent for the new emerging technologies like AI (Artificial Intelligence), IoT (Internet of Things), cyber security, big data, cloud and blockchain
|Tamil Nadu Capital||Chennai|
‘Shiksha Setu’ Mobile App launched by Haryana Government
- Haryana Government has launched a mobile app named as ‘Shiksha Setu’ with an aim to help the students of the state. The ‘Shikhsa Setu’ App will help in bringing transparency in the Education Department and in the administration of colleges in the state. Also, the connectivity between students, parents, teachers and administration will be improved through this mobile application.
|CM||Manohar lal Kathar|
|Governor||Satyadev Narayan Arya|
Jammu and Kashmir to come under President’s rule from 20th December
- President’s rule will be imposed in Jammu and Kashmir from 20 December with President Ram Nath Kovind signing a proclamation to give effect to the recommendation of the state Governor Satya Pal Malik. Kovind has signed the proclamation based on the proposal sent by the ministry following a report by the state governor.
|Jammu & Kashmir Capital||Jammu & Srinagar|
|Governor||Satya Pal Malik|
A statue of former Indian captain MS Dhoni has been unveiled at Jaipur Wax Museum, situated at Nahargarh Fort
- Jaipur Wax Museum, situated at Nahargarh Fort, marked its second anniversary by unveiling a wax statue of cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Weighing 56 kg, of which 19 kg is wax and the rest is fibre, the statue is five feet and nine inches tall, and is designed by sculptor Susanta Roy.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
India, South Korea agree on redoubling trade to 500bn USD by 2030
- South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha and her Indian counterpart Sushma Swaraj agreed to redouble bilateral trade to 50 billion USD by the year 2030. Both the leaders met here at the Jawaharlal Nehru Bhavan and reviewed multifaceted cooperation under the Special Strategic Partnership between the two countries.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Belgium’s Prime Minister Charles Michel announced his resignation
- Belgium’s Prime Minister Charles Michel announced his resignation from the post. Calls for his resignation were made on December 16 when over 5,500 anti-migration protestors took to the streets in Brussels to demonstrate against Belgium being a signatory to the non-binding UN pact, the ‘Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration’.
Government Appoints Interim CBI Head Nageswara Rao As Additional Director
- The interim chief of Central Bureau Investigation (CBI) M Nageswara Rao was promoted to the rank of an Additional Director by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Late rights activist Asma Jahangir wins UN Human Rights Prize for 2018
- Late lawyer and human rights activist Asma Jahangir has been awarded the UN Human Rights Prize for 2018. Her daughter Munizae Jahangir received the prestigious award on behalf of her mother.
Mandeep Kaur Sandhu won Mrs.India Worldwide 2018
- In the Mrs.India Worldwide 2018 Category,India’s Mandeep Kaur Sandhu, who hails from Haryana, was declared as the winner and crowned at 27th annual global pageant.Jeya Priya Pandian from Malaysia and Kavita Malhotra Pattani from USA were declared the first and second runner ups of the Mrs India Worldwide 2018. Girls andWomen’s of Indian Origin from 17 Countries Participated in this 27th annual global pageant.The next edition of the Miss India Worldwide will be held in Mumbai in 2019.
Deepika Padukone has been named the top Indian star of 2018, by the global film and TV website IMDB
- The ‘2018 Top 10 Stars of Indian Cinema’ list, based on global film and TV website Internet Movie Database’s (IMDb) ‘StarMeter’ stats and page views, was released. Actress Deepika Padukone has been named the top Indian star of 2018, by the global film and TV website IMDb. Shah Rukh Khan was second on the list, followed by Aamir Khan and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
Shaan and Arijit Singh were given the “Sangeet Mahasamman” award by the West Bengal government at the inaugural session of the Bengal music and folk culture festival held in Kolkata
- Popular singers Shaan and Arijit Singh were given the “Sangeet Mahasamman” award by the West Bengal government at the inaugural session of the Bengal music and folk culture festival held in Kolkata. Legendary singer Sandhya Mukhopadhyay gave away the awards. Leading Bengali singers like Rupankar Bagchi, Raghab Chattopadhyay, Manomoy Bhattacharya, Saikat Mitra, Pratik Chowdhury and music director Debojyoti Mishra were also given the ‘Sangeet Mahasamman’ awards.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
9th India-ROK Joint Commission Meeting Held in New Delhi
- The ninth meeting of the India-Republic of Korea (ROK/ South Korea) Joint Commission will be held in New Delhi during the South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha‘s official two-day from December 18 to 19 in New Delhi.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
God of Sin: the Cult, the Clout and Downfall of Asaram Bapu “was authored by Ushinor Majumdar
- Book on self-styled godman Asaram Bapu released after a Chandigarh court refused to stay its publication. Authored by Ushinor Majumdar named “God of Sin: The Cult, The Clout and Downfall of Asaram Bapu”. The plea was filed seeking a permanent injunction against publishing of the book. Book was published Penguin Random. “God of Sin” is about Asaram’s journey to spiritual godhood, his fall from grace and the long and arduous road to bring him to justice.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOBILE APP AND PORTAL
Chuppi Tod app launched in Bihar against child marriage, sexual harassment
- A mobile application “Chuppi Tod” (break your silence) was launched in Patna to fight the rampant social evil of child marriage and sexual harassment. Launched by noted women rights campaigner Prashanti Tiwari, the application will educate women and girls on the evils of sexual harassment and child marriage.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Military Communication Satellite GSAT-7A successfully launched by ISRO
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched the communication satellite GSAT-7A on 19th December 2018 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh. GSAT-7A weighing 2250 kg was launched using Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-F11).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
The International Tennis Federation announced Serbia’s Novak Djokovic as the 2018 ITF World Champion.
- The International Tennis Federation announced Serbia’s Novak Djokovic as the 2018 ITF World Champion. The ITF World Champions will receive their awards at the 2019 ITF World Champions Dinner on Tuesday 4 June, in Paris, during Roland Garros. In Men’s Singles Category: Djokovic receives the honour for the sixth time. He won four titles including Wimbledon and the US Open, and climb from No. 22 in the rankings to secure the year-end world No. 1 position. In the Men’s Doubles Category:USA’s Mike Bryan and Jack Sock will receive the award. It will be the 12th time Bryan has received the award but the first time Sock has been honoured.