Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
Universal Children’s Day
- United Nations Universal Children’s Day was established in 1954 and is celebrated on November 20th each year to promote international togetherness, awareness among children worldwide, and improving children’s welfare.
- November 20th is an important date as it is the date in 1959 when the UN General Assembly adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child.
- It is also the date in 1989 when the UN General assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Since 1990, Universal Children’s Day also marks the anniversary of the date that the UN General Assembly adopted both the declaration and the convention on children’s rights.
|Theme 2018||Children are taking over and turning the world blue|
Africa Industrialization Day
- The purpose of Africa Industrialization Day (AID), marked each year on 20 November, is to raise global awareness of the challenges faced by the continent with regard to industrialization. The theme for AID 2018 is “Promoting Regional Value Chains in Africa.
|Theme 2018||Promoting Regional Value Chains in Africa: A pathway for accelerating Africa’s structural transformation, industrialization and pharmaceutical production”.|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
President Ram NathKovind addresses Vietnam national Assembly house
- President Ram NathKovind addressed the Vietnam national Assembly house on third and final day of his Vietnam tour. Full range of bilateral and multilateral cooperation was also discussed during the bilateral talks by presidents of both the countries. Several MoUs were also signed by both nations.
- Both sides reiterated the importance of building a peaceful and prosperous Indo-Pacific region. They agreed to further strengthen bilateral cooperation in defence, atomic energy, space, science and technology, oil and gas, infrastructure, agriculture and innovation-based sectors.
- MoUs were also signed in the fields of communications, education and trade and investment.
|Vietnam Currency||Vietnamese Dong|
|Vietnam Prime Minister||Nguyen XuanPhuc|
Suresh Prabhu launches upgraded versions of Airsewa 2.0 web portal, mobile
- Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu launched an upgraded versions of Airsewa 2.0 web portal and mobile app to make air travel convenient and hassle-free.
- The digital platform, Airsewa 2.0 will address air passengers’ grievances including flight delays, the problem in a refund, long queues and complaints of lost baggage. The system will also give real-time information about the current status and schedule of the flights.
- The upgraded version of Airsewa operates through an interactive web portal and a mobile app for both Android and iOS platforms and will offer people a convenient and hassle-free air travel experience.
49th International Film Festival of India begins
- The 49th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will begin today at Panaji in Goa. The opening ceremony will be held at the Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Stadium in Bambolim.
- Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting RajyavardhanRathore and film star Akshay Kumar will be among host of celebrities present on the occasion.
- The 9-day event will showcase 212 films from 68 countries. While The Aspern Papers is the opening film, Sealed Lips will be the closing movie.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Google News may shut down in EU over ‘link tax’
- Google could shut down Google News services in Europe if the European Union goes ahead with its plan to ‘link tax’ for reproducing news stories in the member countries.
- Link tax is intended to allow content creators to charge search engines like Google for incorporating short pieces or even linking to their news articles.
- EU Commission’s proposal aims to make certain that artists, notably musicians, performers and script authors, as well as news publishers and journalists, are paid for their work when it is used by sharing platforms such as YouTube or Facebook, and news aggregators such as Google News.
|Google Headquarters||California, USA|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Tamil Nadu Government announces one thousand crore rupees relief package for recent cyclone victims
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister EK Palaniswamy has announced a relief package for people affected by Cyclone Gaja that devastated eleven coastal and interior districts of the state.
- Palaniswamy reviewed the situation with senior ministers and higher officials in Chennai, and later announced that 1,000 crore rupees will be released for theongoing relief works.
- In a statement, the Chief Minister stated that, 46 people lost their lives in the cyclone, and their families would be given a compensation of ten lakh rupees each. H
- e also announced that 8,800 rupees each would be given to those sheltered in camps or lost their houses and the fishermen who could not go for fishing.
|Tamil Nadu Capital||Chennai|
|Tamil Nadu Chief Minister||Edappadi K. Palaniswami|
|Tamil Nadu Governor||BanwarilalPurohit|
Bengal Government to come out with interactive app for restaurants
- The West Bengal Tourism Department has decided to launch an interactive mobile app next month, listing all the good restaurants in Kolkata and other places across the State.
- The move comes as tourists visit the Department website for locating restaurants.
- The restaurants already listed on the Department’s website will find a place in the app. More restaurants will be added gradually. The app will also have provisions for customers to share their experiences.
- The department will also rate the restaurants with stars. A valid trade license is a primary requirement. Besides the quality of food, other factors like health-friendly environment, and fire-fighting arrangements will be taken into account.
|West Bengal Capital||Kolkata|
|West Bengal Chief Minister||Mamata Banerjee|
|West Bengal Governor||KeshariNathTripathi|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS
Eight Indian-American women honoured in US
- Eight Indian-American women have been honoured in the US in recognition of their achievements in diverse fields ranging from politics and business to civil rights activism and astrophysics.
- Immigration lawyer Sheela Murthy, vice chairwoman of the Asian American Hotel Owners Association (AAHOA) JagrutiPanwala and NASA astrophysicist MadhulikaGuhathakurta were among the awardees.
- Other honourees were Maryland Delegate Aruna Miller, ManishaGaekwad from Florida; Ann Ramakumaran, founder and CEO of a tech company Ampcus, Inc; and SumanRaghunathan, executive director of the racial justice and civil rights group South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT).
- They were honoured at the inaugural American Bazaar Women Entrepreneurs and Leaders Gala.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI to set up expert panel to look into issues on capital surplus
- The RBI board on Monday decided to set up a high-powered committee to examine issues related to surplus capital of Rs 9.69 lakh crore with the central bank and advised it to consider a scheme for restructuring stressed assets in the MSME sector.
- At the crucial meeting of the board,concluded in Mumbai, it was also decided that the Board for Financial Supervision (BFS) of the RBI would examine the issues concerning the banks health under Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework and the Economic Capital Framework – ECF of RBI.
- RBI’s next board meeting is likely to take place on 14th December.
- Meanwhile, RBI has announced to inject Rs. 8,000 crore into the system through purchase of government securities on November 22. In a statement, RBI said the open market operation will be carried on the assessment of durable liquidity needs going forward.
|RBI Governor||Urjit Patel|
|RBI Deputy Governors||BP Kanungo,
N S Vishwanathan,
Viral Acharya and
Mahesh Kumar Jain
Extension of time period for implementation of Basel 3 guidelines is credit negative for banks
- The Reserve Bank of India’s decision to extend the timeline for the full implementation of Basel 3 guidelines by a year is a credit negative for Indian public sector banks (PSBs), according to Moody’s Investors Service.
- The RBI’s board decided to ease capital pressure on banks by allowing them one more year to meet the Capital Conservation Buffer (CCB). This buffer is aimed at ensuring that banks build up capital buffers during non-stress periods so that they can be drawn down when losses are incurred.
- The transition period to implement the last tranche of 0.625 per cent under CCB has been extended by one year — up to March 31, 2020. Now, banks can achieve CCB of 2.5 per cent of their risk-weighted assets by March-end 2020.
- However, the capital to risk-weighted assets ratio (CRAR), which is the amount of capital banks need to hold for making loans and absorbing possible losses, has been retained at 9 per cent.
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank launches personal loan facility for salaried individuals
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ujjivan Financial Services Limited, launched personal loan facility for salaried professionals making it the first small finance bank in India to offer this.
- The product will be launched across 14 tier I and tier II locations including Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Delhi, Kolkata, Pune, Surat, Mumbai, Mysuru, Ankaleshwar,Coimbatore, Kochi, Chennai and Vadodara. The facility is a new product to the existing loans offered by the bank – Home Loan (for purchase of property and construction) and Business loans.
- The personal loan will be available for salaried professionals who are earning a monthly salary above Rs. 15, 000. Individuals can avail loans starting from Rs. 50,000 up to Rs. 15 lakhs.
|Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Headquarters||Bangalore, Karnataka|
|Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Tagline||We believe in your belief|
|Ujjivan Small Finance Bank MD and CEO||Ittira Davis|
4 dialysis facilities under CSR scheme
- KarurVysya Bank has partnered with the Rotary Foundation to set up low-cost dialysis facilities at Karur, Theni, Dindigul and Tiruchi in Tamil Nadu.
- Inaugurating the facility at Abirami Maternity Centre in Karur, the bank’s Chief Executive PR Seshadristated this was among the several initiatives undertaken by the bank as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility obligations.
- The bank has contributed ₹20 crore to set up the dialysis facility and a matching contribution was made by Rotary District 3000.
|KarurVysya Bank Headquarters||Karur, Tamil Nadu|
|KarurVysya Bank Tagline||Smart Way to Bank|
|KarurVysya Bank MD and CEO||P R Seshadri|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
21-yr-old Zverev beats world no. 1 Djokovic to win ATP Finals title
- Alexander Zverev of Germany defeated world number one Novak Djokovic to win his maiden ATP World Tour Finals title.
- The 21-year-old won with a scoreline of 6-4, 6-3 and became the youngest player to win the tournament since Djokovic himself in 2008.
- Further, Zverev became the first German to win the season-ending tournament since Boris Becker in 1995.
Maldives cabinet approves to rejoin Commonwealth, 2 years after withdrawing from 53-nation grouping
- The Maldives cabinet has approved to rejoin the Commonwealth, two years after withdrawing from the 53-nation grouping. New President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih made the announcement, stated that the proposal will be sent to Parliament for ratification.
- The country left the Commonwealth during former President Abdulla Yameen’s administration in October 2016, amid mounting pressure over corruption and deteriorating human rights.
- The new government under Mr.Solih has begun to reset several decisions and policies of the previous administration.
- The two Supreme Court judges, who were imprisoned since imposition of emergency, have been shifted to house arrest and a committee has been formed to release political detainees.
|Commonwealth Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Commonwealth Head||Elizabeth II|