Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
Police Commemoration Day
- October 21 is observed as the ‘Police Commemoration Day’ every year in memory of the policemen killed at Hot Springs in Ladakh by the Chinese troops on this date in 1959.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
IIT Bombay tops in the “QS India University Rankings 2019”
- QS Quacquarelli Symonds, the global higher education think tank, has released “QS India University Rankings 2019”, its first standalone ranking of India’s higher education institutions. The rankings include Public Universities, Private Universities and H.E. Institutions or Deemed Universities. IIT Bombay has been named India’s leading institution.
Four Himalayan peaks near Gangotri glacier of Uttarkashi district have been named after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Four Himalayan peaks near Gangotri glacier of Uttarkashi district have been named after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Located near Sudarshan and Saifi peaks in Raktvan valley, the peaks have been named Atal-1, 2, 3 and 4. The peaks are located at 6,557m, 6,566m, 6,160m and 6,100m on the right flank of Gangotri glacier. The team, which returned after the climb, had hoisted the national tricolor on each of the peaks.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
World’s longest sea bridge between China-Hong Kong to open on October 24
- The world’s longest sea bridge Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge will be thrown open for traffic on October 24. The 55-kilometer-long bridge, situated in the Lingdingyang waters of the Pearl River Estuary, will be the world’s longest sea bridge.
China has successfully tested the world’s largest unmanned transport drone “Feihong-98 (FH-98)
- China has successfully tested the world’s largest unmanned transport drone “Feihong-98 (FH-98)”, which can carry a payload of 1.5 tonnes, at Baotou test site in North China’s Inner Mongolia autonomous region. The Feihong-98 has a maximum takeoff weight of 5.25 tonnes, a flight height of 4,500m, a cruising speed of 180 km/hr and a maximum range of 1,200 kms. The FH-98 was adapted from the prototype of the Shifei Y5B, a China-developed transport plane. It is developed and modified by the China Academy of Aerospace Electronics Technology (CAAET).
China is in the process of creating an “artificial moon”
- China is in the process of creating an “artificial moon” that would be bright enough to replace the streetlights in the south-western city of Chengdu by 2020. Chinese scientists plan to send three artificial moons into space in the next four years, and the moons – made from reflective material like a mirror – are expected to orbit at 500 kilometres above the Earth and light up an area with a diameter of 10 to 80 kilometres. The artificial moon will have a reflective coating that can deflect sunlight back to Earth, similar to how the moon shines.
Chinese-made world’s largest amphibious aircraft completes successful flight
- China‘s home-grown amphibious aircraft AG600, claimed by Beijing as the world’s largest, carried out its first take-off and landing on waters. Developed and built by the state-owned aircraft giant Aviation Industry Corporation of China, the seaplane took off from the Zhanghe Reservoir in Jingmen, Hubei’s province.
US has said that it could remove India from its currency monitoring list of major trading partners
- In its latest report, the US has said that it could remove India from its currency monitoring list of major trading partners citing certain developments and steps taken by New Delhi, which address some of its major concerns. India was for the first time, in April, placed by the US in its currency monitoring list of countries with potentially questionable foreign exchange policies along with five other countries – China, Germany, Japan, South Korea and Switzerland. This represented a notable change from 2017, when purchases over the first three quarters of the year pushed net purchases of foreign exchange above 2% of GDP.
|US Capital||Washington DC|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Punjab government signed a MoU with the Centre to implement the PMJAY
- Punjab government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Centre to implement the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) in Punjab. By implementing PMJAY in Punjab, the scheme will be extended to cover more than 43 lakh families, instead of the proposed 14.96 lakh families. Punjab cabinet approved the merger of Punjab’s Bhagat Puran Singh Sehat Bima Yojana (BPSSBY), with PMJAY. Through this, the existing cover of Rs 50,000 per year per family was extended to Rs 5 lakh per year per family.
|Governor||V P Singh Badnore|
In a first, UP govt makes man-animal conflict a ‘State Declared Disaster’
- The UttarPradesh government has made the man-animal conflict a ‘State Declared Disaster’bringing such incidents under the ambit of State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) to ensure better coordination and relief during such mishaps in the state.
- Taking the historical decision to this effect, the state government has issued orders which will enable faster monetary relief to the victims of attack of wild animals.
- As per the provisions of the order, in cases of human death due to man-animal conflict, relief of Rs 5 lakh would be given to the family of deceased while the disbursement of compensation for injury would be in accordance to SDRF guidelines.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital||Lucknow|
Andhra Pradesh tops in Rural Development Ministry survey.
- Kuligod in Karnataka’s Belagavi district is the country’s best developed village, but more than a third of the gram panchayats ranked in the top 10 are in Andhra Pradesh, according to the findings of an ongoing Rural Development Ministry survey.There are 97 panchayats in the top 10 ranks. Of these, 37 panchayats are in Andhra Pradesh while 24 are in Tamil Nadu.
- The Rural Development Ministry has done a gap analysis of more than 3.5 lakh villages, in more than 1.6 lakh panchayats under the Mission Antyodaya convergence scheme.
|Andhra Pradesh Capital||Hyderabad, Amaravathi|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Tejas wins RS111 crore Indian Navy order
- Tejas Networks, a maker of networking product, has received an Rs.111 crore purchase order from Sterlite Technologies to implement Indian Navy’s country-wide next-generation digital communications network.
L&T Ranks 22 In Forbes’ Best Global Employer List, Alphabet Tops
- Engineering and construction major Larsen & Toubrois the only domestic firm to be featured among the top 25 companies in the Forbes’ global 2000 best employers list that is led by Google parent Alphabet.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award for Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
- Grammy-winning Hindustani classical music instrumentalist Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt will be honoured with the annual Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award.
4th annual Carnot Prize 2018 won by Union Minister Piyush Goyal
- Union Minister for Railways, Coal and Corporate Affairs Piyush Goyal will receive the prestigious Carnot prize for his contribution towards sustainable energy solutions. The former power minister will be awarded by the Kleinmana Center for Energy Policy at the University of Pennsylvania School of Design.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
27th Fusion Energy Conference held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- The 27th Fusion Energy Conference (FEC 2018) was held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. The six-day event is organised by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and hosted by Department of Atomic Energy and Gandhinagar-based Institute of Plasma Research.
India To Host 4th Edition Of Global Partners’ Forum in December 2018
- India will host the fourth edition of Global Partners’ Forum on 12th and 13th December 2018 in New Delhi. The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH) will unite over 100 countries’ representatives to discuss issues, strategies and solutions to women’s, children’s and adolescents’ health. It will be co-hosted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and PMNCH.
The World Diamond Council (WDC) is to hold its 14th annual general meeting (AGM) in Mumbai
- The World Diamond Council (WDC) is to hold its 14th annual general meeting (AGM) in Mumbai on October 22 -23, 2018. It will focus on reform of the Kimberley Process and WDC System of Warranties in support of a commitment to sustainable development by the diamond industry. Kimberley process is established in 2000 to prevent ‘conflict diamonds’ from entering the mainstream rough diamond market. The meeting will be hosted by the Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council and the agenda will be to continue to focus on a push for reform.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Yogi Adityanath’s biography by Pravin Kumar is now in Hindi
- The biography of UP Chief Minister ‘Yogi Adityanath: The Rise of a Saffron Socialist’ is now amongst best seller books. The book written by Pravin Kumar.
Statistician Vijayan Bala comes up with new book
- Veteran commentator and cricket statistican Vijayan Bala has come up with his new book “Indian Sports: Conversations and Reflections”, a compilation of interviews of eminent sportspersons he has conducted since 1971.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOBILE APP AND PORTAL
CSIR-IITR has developed an innovative technology for “Drinking Water Disinfection System” OneerTM
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Indian Institute of Toxicology Research (CSIR-IITR), Lucknow, has developed an innovative technology for “Drinking Water Disinfection System” with the trade name “OneerTM”. The “OneerTM” technology was transferred to M/s Bluebird Water Purifiers, New Delhi, on 17th October 2018. It will be used in continuous treatment of water and will eliminate disease causing pathogens like virus, bacteria, fungi, protozoa and cyst. It will provide safe drinking water to domestic use and communities as per National and International standards for potable water (BIS, WHO etc.).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
European and Japanese space agencies launched an Ariane 5 rocket successfully
- European and Japanese space agencies stated that an Ariane 5 rocket successfully lifted a spacecraft carrying two probes into orbit for a joint mission to Mercury, the closest planet to the sun. The unmanned BepiColombo spacecraft successfully separated and was sent into orbit from French Guiana as planned to begin a seven-year journey to Mercury.
India’s First Domestic Cruise ‘Angriya’ Flagged Off From Mumbai
- Angria, India’s first luxury cruise ship,has been inaugurated at Mumbai. Union minister for shipping Nitin Gadkari and Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis flagged-off the cruise which will operate between Mumbai and Goa.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Kimi Raikkonen wins US Grand Prix
- Finnish Formula One driver Kimi Raikkonenregistered his first victory in last five years by finishing at the top of the podium in the United States (US) Grand Prix
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
BJP MP Bhola Singh passes away
- Senior BJP leader and sitting Member of Parliament (MP) from Bihar Bhola Singh passed away at a Delhi hospital. He was 79.
Japanese Nobel chemistry laureate Shimomura dies at 90
- Japanese-born Marine biologist Osamu Shimomura, who won the Nobel Prize in chemistry, has died. He was 90.
/ 5. Reviews