Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
WORLD EARTH DAY:
- The World Earth Day (WED) is celebrated on 22nd April not only to spread awareness of the need for conservation but also to take action to protect the environment.
- Earth Day is considered to be the largest secular world event. This day was first celebrated on April 22, 1970 and has ever since been an annual event.
- The theme for World Earth Day 2018 is ‘End Plastic Pollution’. Earth Day 2018 is dedicated to providing the information and inspiration needed to fundamentally.
‘End Plastic Pollution’
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Center considering a ban on e-cigarettes:
- Nicotine addiction through e-cigarettes among young people may lead them to try conventional tobacco products; the Delhi High Court has been informed by the Union health ministry, which said it was considering a ban on the item.
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare also told the court that though there are no specific guidelines to deal with new emerging threats such as Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) or e-cigarettes (ECs), several states and Union territories have taken steps to prohibit them.
1,308 women to perform Haj without male guardians: Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- Union Minister of Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said that , A total of 1,308 women from the country will, for the first time, perform Haj without the company of a ‘mahram’ or male guardian.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Miguel Diaz-Canel is Named as Cuba’s new president
- Miguel Díaz-Canel was officially named as the new leader of Cuba, one day after a secret vote in the country’s National Assembly.
- Díaz It’s the first time in nearly six decades that Cuba is being led by a man not named Castro.
- Canel, 57, was selected by a vote of 603-1 as the unopposed candidate to replace Raul Castro, 86.
India offers medical help to Kabul:
- India has condemned the terror attacks in Afghanistan and offered medical assistance.
- An official statement called the attacks barbaric and said the blast at a voter registration centre in Kabul was aimed at hurting the democratic process.
- “What makes this attack particularly reprehensible is the fact that the terrorists and their backers chose to attack a voter registration centre [set up] for the upcoming parliamentary and district council elections. India stands ready to extend all possible assistance, including for treatment of those injured,” the statement said.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
DCW Chief Swati Maliwal Ends 10 Day long Hunger Strike :
- Delhi Commission for Women chairperson Swati Maliwal on Sunday ended her 10-day long hunger strike after President Ram Nath Kovind approved an Ordinance to award death penalty to those convicted of raping girls below 12 years.
- The Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance provides for stringent punishment of a jail term of minimum 20 years or life imprisonment or death for rape of a girl under 12 years.
|Delhi Capital||New Delhi|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
TCS first Indian company with $100 billion market capitalisation:
- Tata Consultancy Services has touched $100 billion mark in market capitalisation as its share price surged nearly 7%.
- The IT major is the first listed Indian company to achieve this milestone.
- TCS is the leading the chart as the most valued firm followed by Reliance Industries Ltd, HDFC Bank, ITC and HUL in the top-five list.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Idea Cellular’s proposal seeking 100% FDI under consideration of DIPP:
- Idea Cellular Ltd’s proposal to allow up to 100 percent foreign direct investment in the company is under consideration of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), an official said.
- The proposal assumes significance against the backdrop of pending merger of Idea Cellular Ltd and Vodafone India to form the country’s largest telecom operator.
- The present foreign direct investment policy allows an overseas firm to buy up to 49 percent stake in an Indian telecommunication company under automatic approval route. But government’s approval is required for stake above 49 percent.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS
Prince Charles to be next head of Commonwealth:
- Commonwealth leaders have formally announced that Prince Charles will become the next head of the organisation after the Queen.
- The role is not hereditary, but the Queen used the Commonwealth heads of government gathering in London to say it was her “sincere wish” to be succeeded by her son.
Sitaram Yechury re-elected CPI(M) general secretary:
- The CPI(M) has re-elected Sitaram Yechury as its general secretary, at its 22nd party Congress.
- “We had a momentous Congress, detailed discussions and we have taken important decisions in this Congress. If any message that should go to rank and file and our class enemy, it is that CPI(M) has emerged as a united party,” said Mr. Yechury.
AAI gets its first woman firefighter:
- Taniya Sanyal has become the first woman firefighter of the Airports Authority of India(AAI).
- AAI Chairman Guruprasad Mohapatra said the AAI was following the government’s policy of equal employment opportunities.“Congratulations to Taniya Sanyal on becoming the first lady firefighter of AAI.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
SJVN signs MoU with Ministry of Power:
- SJVN Limited, the operator of one of the largest Hydro Power Plants in the country i.e. 1500 MW Nathpa Jhakri Hydro Power Station, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Ministry of Power, Govt. of India for the year 2018-19.
- As per the targets set in the MOU, SJVN shall strive to achieve 9200 Million Units generation during the year under ‘Excellent’ category.
- Further, SJVN will have Capital Expenditure (CAPEX) target of Rs. 900 crore and Turnover target of Rs. 2175 crore under Excellent category along with other targets related to operational efficiency and Project monitoring.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Bangladesh Female Cricketer Nazreen Khan Mukta Gets Arrested With Drugs:
- A female cricketer Nazreen Khan Mukta in Bangladesh could be jailed for life after she was caught in possession of 14,000 methamphetamine pills.
- She plays in the Dhaka Premier League, was returning from a match in the southeastern city of Cox’s Bazar when police stopped and searched the team bus at Chittagong.
Rafael Nadal Won 11th Monte Carlo Masters title:
- Rafael Nadal cruised to a record-extending 11th Monte Carlo Masters title, brushing aside Kei Nishikori 6-3, 6-2 in Sunday’s final to retain the World No. 1 ranking. The 31-year-old became the first player to win a tournament 11 times in the Open era. This was also Nadal’s 76th ATP Tour title.
- Nadal’s 31st Masters crown helped him overtake Novak Djokovic.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
“Trishanku Nation – Memory, Self and Society in Contemporary India” Is Authored By Deepak Kumar:
- The Second Book reading session of ‘Archives Reads’ was organised by NAI with Author & Prof Deepak Kumar, former Professor, JNU reading from his latest publication “Trishanku Nation – Memory, Self and Society in Contemporary India”.
- Speaking on the occasion, Director General, National Archives of India (NAI), Shri Pritam Singh, said that the rich archives available with NAI is a treat for students, researchers, historians and authors.
- He said this book reading series would help inculcate archival awareness among the masses, to bring prominent historians closer to the young readers.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Musicologist Balantrapu Rajanikantha Rao Passed away:
- Noted musicologist and broadcaster Balantrapu Rajanikantha Rao passed away at his residence on Sunday morning (5.30 a.m.). He was 99.
- He left an indelible mark in the fields of art, music and literature with his invaluable contribution spanning over more than seven decades.
/ 5. Reviews