Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
IIT-Hyderabad researchers develop smartphone-based system to detect adulteration in milk
- Researchers from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Hyderabad are working to develop smartphone-based sensor to detect adulteration in milk. They have developed detector system which can measure level of acidity in milk using indicator paper.
Patients save around Rs 15,000 cr under govt’s initiative of ensuring ‘Affordable, Quality Medicines for All’
- Patients across the country have saved around Rs 15,000 crore under government’s initiative of ensuring ‘Affordable, Quality Medicines for All’.
- The Union Chemicals and Fertilisers Ministry has taken the step of fixation of ceiling prices and Maximum Retail Prices of essential and lifesaving drugs. This has resulted in patients saving over Rs 5,000 crore since then.
ICMR releases Antimicrobial Stewardship Guidelines to ensure judicious use of antibiotics in hospitals
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has released Antimicrobial Stewardship Guidelines to advise hospitals in setting up Antimicrobial Stewardship Programmes (AMSP) to ensure judicious use of antibiotics in healthcare facilities.
IIT Kanpur students done a project to induce artificial rain via cloud seeding to clear smog in Delhi.
- The Union Ministry of Environment has recently approved a project led by scientists at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur to induce artificial rain via cloud seeding to clear smog in Delhi. The Cloud seeding project will have an aircraft fly into the clouds and inject silver iodide, which will lead to the formation of ice crystals that will make the clouds denser, cause them to condense into rain and settle atmospheric dust enough to clear the sky.
IIT Kharagpur have devised a Decision Support System (DSS) to help maximise the number of LPG connections for BPL households
- The researchers at IIT Kharagpur have devised a Decision Support System (DSS) to help maximise the number of LPG connections in Below Poverty Level (BPL) households in the ‘Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY)’ . A DSS is a computer programme that helps in making sound rational decisions using mathematical programming and operation research techniques.
HRD Minister has launched ‘Institution’s Innovation Council’ programme
- The Union HRD Minister, Prakash Javadekar launched the Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC) programme under Innovation cell of the Ministry of Human Resource Development through video conferencing in New Delhi on November 21, 2018.
PM sets up National Implementation Committee to commemorate 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi constituted National Implementation Committee (NIC) under Chairmanship of Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh to commemorate the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak in the country and abroad.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Saudi, UAE announce USD 500 million in aid to war-torn Yemen
- Saudi Arabia and the UAE, which lead a military coalition against the Huthi rebels in Yemen, on November 20, 2018 announced USD 500 million in aid to the country on the brink of famine.Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates will each give USD 250 million in response to the food crisis to support more than 10 million people.
||Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashed al-Maktoum
Australia refused to sign UN pact on migration
- The Australian Government announced on November 21, 2018 that it would not sign the UN Global Compact for Migration saying that the agreement would undermine its existing immigration policies. According to the nation, its immigration policy already promotes safe, orderly and regular migration.
The world’s first underground hotel “the InterContinental Shanghai Wonderland”has opened in Shanghai
- In China, the world’s first underground hotel “the InterContinental Shanghai Wonderland”has opened in Shanghai, which is buried almost 90 metres deep in an old quarry. The 18-storey luxury hotel is almost entirely subterranean having two floors above ground and the rest underground, including two floors that are underwater.
France plays host to the International prototype of kilogram
- The International prototype of kilogram (IPK), which serves as the international standard of kilogram, is kept at the BIPM in Paris, France. It is made of 90 per cent platinum and 10 per cent iridium and is a cylinder of 39 mm diameter and 39 mm height. The replicas of the IPK are made of the same material and used at BIPM as reference or working standards.
||Euro , Franc
US suspends USD 1.66 bn security assistance to Pakistan
- The United States has suspended its 1.66 billion dollar security assistance to Pakistan. The decision has been taken on the directions of President Donald Trump.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Gujarat has launched an intensive project to conserve Gir lions
- Gujarat government has launched a Rs 351-crore project for the conservation of the Gir lions. The project is launched in the backdrop of the Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) outbreak that claimed 23 Asiatic lions lives in their only dwelling Gir National park in Saurashtra. This intensive project will also include an emergency ambulance van akin to the 108 emergency services.
||Om Prakash Kholi
Sikkim increases forest cover by over 4 per cent since 1993: CM
- A plethora of initiatives for preserving biodiversity in Sikkim such as spreading mass awareness and adopting an eco-friendly policy has led to an increase of its forest cover by over four percent since 1993, as per the state’s Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling.
||Pawan Kumar Chamling
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Erik Solheim resigned as the head of United Nations Environment Programme
- UN Environment Chief Erik Solheim resigned from United Nations Environment Programme following an audit report questioning his huge travel expenses. A UN audit had found that Solheim had spent nearly five lakh US dollar on travel. The unjustified travel expenses come at a time when the world body is struggling with shrinking budgets.
Upma Chowdhry has been appointed as the Secretary of Department of Youth Affairs
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi appointed Director of Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Upma Chowdhry, as Secretary, Department of Youth Affairs, on 19th November 2018.
Kim Jong Yang, a South Korean police officer, has been elected the new President of Interpol
- Kim Jong Yang, a South Korean police officer, has been elected the new President of Interpol for a two-year term. He succeeded Meng Hongwei of China. The decision was taken at the 87th General Assembly of the Agency in Dubai, UAE. The International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) is the international organization that facilitates international police cooperation. Its’ headquarters is located at Lyo, France.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Former JNU Professor S.P. Ganguly awarded Mexican Order of Aztec Eagle
- Mexican government has honoured Indian academician Shyama Prasad Ganguly with “Orden Mexicana del Águila Azteca” (Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle), the highest civilian honour given to a foreigner by Mexico.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
The central government announced setting up of Animation, Gaming and Visual effects Institute in Mumbai
- The central government announced setting up of Animation, Gaming and Visual effects Institute in Mumbai. This was announced by Information and Broadcasting Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore. This will encourage the youth participation in the field of film and cinematography.
27th BASIC Ministerial Meeting on Climate Change held in New Delhi
- 27th BASIC Ministerial Meeting on Climate Change held in New Delhi has urged advanced countries to enhance their support to developing nations in effectively implementing Paris Agreement to combat climate change. BASIC countries comprise Brazil, South Africa, India and China. This comes ahead of UN Conference of Parties (COP) scheduled to be held in December 2018 in Katowice, Poland.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
The book named ‘Radio Kashmir – In Times of Peace & War’ written by Dr Rajesh Bhat
- Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (I/C), Prime Minister’s Office, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh released a book named ‘Radio Kashmir – In Times of Peace & War’ written by Dr Rajesh Bhat in New Delhi. The book has been published by Stellar Publishers. The book explains the role played by Radio Kashmir in serving the people of Kashmir and strengthening democratic institutions in Kashmir, since the inception of Radio Kashmir in 1947.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
West Bengal Assembly passes Bill to give land rights to enclave dwellers in north Bengal
- West Bengal Assembly unanimously passed West Bengal Land Reforms (Amendment) Bill, 2018 to give land rights to enclave dwellers in north Bengal. The bill will end era of uncertain future for the people residing in those enclaves as it will help them to get full-fledged status as citizens of India, along with all civic amenities and rights.
India ranked 53rd in the survey of IMD World Talent Ranking 2018
- Switzerland has topped the list of the IMD World Talent Ranking 2018 for the fifth year in a row. Among the BRICS countries, South Africa remains in the middle position (50th) performing better than India (53rd) and Brazil (58th) but lagging behind China (39th) and Russia (46th).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indian Army selects Russian Igla-S missile system
- Indian Army has picked Russia’s Igla-S missile system as choice for its multibillion dollar contract for man-portable air defence systems (MANPADS). Igla-S bid around $1.47 billion from Russia’s Rosoboronexport had emerged lowest bidder for Indian Army’s Very Short Range Air Defence (VSHORAD) deal.
International Space Station of Russian space agency Roscosmos has completed 20 years
- The International Space Station (ISS) turned 20 years old on November 20, 2018. The project was kicked by Russian space agency Roscosmos when it launched its Zarya module from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on November 20, 1998.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
ICC rejects Pakistan compensation claim against India
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) on November 20, 2018 dismissed a compensation claim by Pakistan over India’s refusal to honour an agreement to play bilateral series.
- The ICC said in a statement that following a three-day hearing, the Dispute Panel has dismissed the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB)’s claim against the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Shubhankar Sharma became the first Indian to win Sir Henry Cotton Rookie of the year
- Chandigarh based Young Indian golfer Shubhankar Sharma became the first Indian to win Sir Henry Cotton Rookie of the year in DP WORLD TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP held in Dubai.
Indian gymnasts win two bronze medals in Acrobatic Gymnastics World Cup
- Indian gymnasts won two bronze medals in the men’s and women’s group events of the FIG Acrobatic World Cup in Baku. Prins Aris and Rejilesh Suribabu finished third after scoring 20.560 in the two-day event to bag the bronze medal at the National Gymnastics Arena.