Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
3 Andaman And Nicobar Islands To Be Renamed During PM’s Visit
- Three islands in Andaman and Nicobar will be given new names by the government, the latest in the list of places being renamed across the country.
- Ross Island, Neil Island and Havelock Island will be renamed as Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Island, Shaheed Dweep and Swaraj Dweep respectively.
|Andaman And Nicobar Capital||Port Blair|
|Governor||Admiral D K Joshi|
NABCB Accreditation Secures Recognition in Asia- Pacific Region
- The National Accreditation Board for Certification Bodies (NABCB), India’s national accreditation body has secured equivalence for its accreditation programme for Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems (OHSMS) Certification Bodies in Asia- Pacific region
- NABCB, a constituent Board of the Quality Council of India, is responsible for accreditation of certification/inspection bodies as per applicable international standards under an international system of equivalence.
- NABCB is the third accreditation body in the Asia Pacific Region to become internationally equivalent in the region, the other two being the accreditation bodies of Hong Kong and Mexico.
|Quality Council of India Chairpersons||AdilZainulbhai|
NCLT helps recover Rs. 800 bn in 2018
- As per estimates, the IBC has helped address stressed assets worth approximately Rs. 3 trillion directly or indirectly since the new law came into force in December 2016.
- In 2019, the NCLT is expected to finalise corporate insolvency resolution process of several stressed assets through its 11 functional benches across India.
- These cases would include Essar Steel, Bhushan Power & Steel, Videocon Group, Monnet Ispat, Amtek Auto, Ruchi Soya, LancoInfratech, JaypeeInfratech among others
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Assam’s Bogibeel Bridge Opens
- The Bogibeel Bridge in Assam has a two-line railway track on the lower deck and a three-lane road on the top deck. It will reduce the Delhi to Dibrugarh train travel time by about three hours
- The bridge, which also happens to be Asia’s second longest rail-and-road connector, has a lifespan of around 120 years,
- The Bogibeel Bridge, India’s longest railroad bridge, Total length of the bridge is 4,940 m
- Foundation stone of Bogibeel Bridge was laid by then Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda in 1997
- The bridge over the Brahmaputra river in the north eastern Indian state of Assam between Dhemaji district and Dibrugarh district.
Uttar PradeshGovernment to constitute board to discuss issues related to GST
- Uttar Pradeshgovernment has decided to constitute a board comprising members from the business community and government officials to discuss issues related to GST
- It will have 3 vice presidents, 11 non-government members and 9 ministerial members all nominated by Chief Minister. The board will hold meetings in every three months to comprise the government about the problems and suggestions regarding GST.
- Government also has decided to give extraordinary pension to the police personnel who fall into a coma in the line of duty.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital||Lucknow|
Rajasthan International Film Festival’ will be held from 19 to 23 January 2019 at Jaipur
- The 5th Rajasthan International Film Festival organized by RIFF Film Club is going to be held from January 19th to 23rd, 2019 at Inox, Jaipur.
- This event will be screening Feature Films, Short Films, Documentary Films and Animation Films
- Founder & CEO of Rajasthan International Film Festival Mr. Somendra Harsh
- This year one special category has been decided as The Mahatma on Celluloid
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
PM Modi releases Rs. 100 commemorative coin in memory of Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- On the event of AtalBihari Vajpayee’s 94th birth anniversary, Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a Rs. 100 commemorative coin in the memory of the former premier
- Coin features Emblem on India on the front side, portrait of Atal Bihari Vajpayee on the reserve.
- It weighs 135 grams and is made of 4 metals viz. Silver (50%), Copper (40%), Zinc (5%) and Nickel (5%).
PNB launches special card for Kumbh Mela
- State owned Punjab National Bank (PNB) has launched a special card for Kumbh Mela 2019
- The bank has partnered with the Uttar Pradesh government to create a model for digitization at this edition of Kumbh Mela.
- Kumbh Mela to be held at Triveni Sangam in Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh, India from January to March 2019.
|Punjab National Bank CEO||Sunil Mehta|
Corporation Bank, Bank of India to resume lending from FY20 on pick-up in liquidity: Kotak Sec
- Government announced another round of capital infusion into public sector banks (PSBs), Bank of India and Corporation Bank seem to the frontrunners among the four-five PSBs to resume normal lending operations outside the prompt corrective action (PCA) framework from FY2020,
- The government has sought Parliament’s approval for an additional round of capital infusion worth Rs 41,000 crore into PSBs for FY2019
|Corporation Bank CEO||Jai Kumar Garg|
|Bank of India CEO||Dinabandhu Mohapatra|
RBI to soon release new Rs. 20 note
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon introduce Rs. 20 notes with additional features
- The central bank has already issued new-look currency notes in the denominations of Rs 10, Rs 50, Rs 100, and Rs 500, besides introducing Rs 200 and Rs 2000 notes after demonetisation.
- The Rs 20 notes accounted for 9.8% of the total number of currency notes in circulation at the end of March 2018.
- Earlier this year, RBI released new Rs 100 note which has the impression of Gujarat’s Rani-ki-Vav (Queen’s stepwell).In 2014, UNESCO approved this 11th-century wonder at Patan (Gujarat) as a World Heritage Site.
|Reserve Bank of India Governor||Shaktikanta Das|
Radiant Life to Merge With Max Healthcare
- Radiant Life Care Ltd., backed by private equity firm KKR, agreed to merge with Max Healthcare Ltd. in a complex deal that will make the combined entity India’s third-largest hospital and diagnostics company
- The merged entity will operate over 3,200 beds through 16 hospitals across India and will be among the top three by revenue and the fourth-largest by beds
- The combined entity will be valued at Rs. 7,242 crore.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Trump replaces defence head Mattis with deputy Shanahan
- President Donald Trump announced Defense Secretary Jim Mattis will leave his post on January 1, He statedthat deputy Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan will take over as acting secretary to cover the accelerated departure.
|US Capital||Washington DC|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indian Navy commissions Naval hospital INHS Sandhani
- A naval hospital ship, the INHS Sandhani, has been commissioned at Naval station Karanja in the Raigad district of Maharashtra.
- INHS Sandhani, is tenth Naval hospital, at the Naval station Karanja in Uran.
- The Navy had earlier commissioned its ninth hospital ‘INHS Navjivani’ at the Indian Naval Academy in Kerala’s Ezhimala.
|Navy Chief||Sunil Lanba|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Veteran CPI(M) leader Nirupam Sen passes away
- Veteran Communist Party of India (Marxist) leader and former West Bengal minister NirupamSenpassed away in Kolkata
- He was born on October 8, 1946, his political career began when he became a member of the CPI(M) during his student years. He became the district secretary of the Students Federation of India, students wing of the party in 1966.
- Though he started his career as a teacher, he became full-time member of the party in 1968. Mr.Sen was district secretary of Bardhaman district CPI(M) from 1989 to 1995. He became MLA from Bardhaman town in 1987, became central committee member of the party in 1998 and Polit Bureau member in 2008.
Former Union Minister Jai Narain Prasad Nishadpasses away
- Former Union minister and Janata Dal (United) leader Jai Narain Prasad Nishad died in New Delhi after a long illness
- Nishad was a former MP from Bihar’s Muzaffarpur constituency
/ 5. Reviews