Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Power ministry mandates use of smart prepaid meters from April 2019
- The government has mandated the use of smart prepaid electricity meters in the country beginning April next year, as it looks to complete the transition over the next three years
- Smart meters are a part of the overall advanced metering infrastructure solutions (AMI) aimed at better demand response designed to reduce energy consumption during peak hours
- The government is procuring smart and prepaid meters from State-owned Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL)
Government Mulls Additional Rs 7,400 Crore Soft Loan to Sugar Mills
- The government is considering an additional soft loan of Rs 7,400 crore to sugar mills for creating ethanol capacity under a recently launched scheme
- The food ministry is also considering tweaking the scheme to ensure that non-molasses-based distilleries are also able to avail soft loans under the scheme launched in June for expansion and setting up of new ethanol plants
- India, the world’s second biggest producer, is likely to produce 31.5 million tonnes of sugar in 2018-19 marketing year, slightly lower than 32.5 MT last year
Pan-India clean air programme set to roll out with Rs. 300 cr
- The Centre has earmarked Rs. 300 crore for implementation of the upcoming National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) for financial year 2018-19 and 2019-20. Overall cost of taking multiple air pollution abatement measures in 102 cities across the country.
- The NCAP is a pan-India national level strategy to tackle increasing air pollution problems in a comprehensive and time-bound manner. The Centre has set a mid-term (five-year) target to reduce air pollution by 20-30% by 2024, taking 2017 as base year
Information Technology [Intermediaries Guidelines (Amendment) Rules] 2018
- The proposed amendments in the draft of the Information Technology [Intermediaries Guidelines (Amendment) Rules] 2018, Rule 3(9) is bound to force social media platforms like Whatsapp, Facebook and Twitter to remain vigil and keep users on their toes before posting or sharing anything that is deemed as “unlawful information or content”.
- The draft rules, which propose amendments to the Information Technology Act, have stated that an intermediary will be any platform that has more than 50 lakh users in Indiaor is in the list of intermediary specified notified by the government
62% of SEZs are operational and have created 20 lakh jobs
- The Ministry of Commerce and Industry data show that 230 out of the 373 Special Economic Zones (SEZs) in India are operational and have provided employment to as many as 20 lakh people
- Tamil Nadu tops the chart of operational SEZs with 75 per cent of its SEZs functioning without any hitch. It has 52 SEZs of which 39 are operational.
- Kerala, West Bengal, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh are the States where more than 70 per cent SEZs are functioning.
- Not a single SEZ is operational in the four States of Goa, Nagaland, Jharkhand and Manipur.
- The government had constituted a Group under the Chairmanship of Baba Kalyani to study the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) Policy of India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
India, Afghanistan and Iran meet for Chabahar Agreement
- The first meeting of the Follow-up Committee between the three South-Asian nations was held at the port city of Chabahar in Iran,
- India Ports Global Limited company opened its office and took over operations at the at Chabahar on this occasion
The next Follow-up Committee meeting, followed by the 2nd Coordination Council Meeting the level of Secretaries/ Deputy Ministers, will held in India in 2019
Government extends ban on import of milk products from China for 4 months
- The government has further extended the ban on import of milk and its products, including chocolates, from China for four months till April 23 next year, according to a notification of the commerce ministry
- The ban was first imposed in September 2008 and later extended from time to time
- The ban was imposed on apprehensions of presence of melamine in some milk consignments from China. Melamine is a toxic chemical used for making plastics and fertilisers
- India is the world’s largest producer and consumer of milk. It produces around 150 million tonne milk annually.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Haryana to rename childcare institutes as Jagannath Ashrams
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced to name all the Child Care Institutes being run in the state as ‘Jagannath Ashrams.
- The Chief Minister made this announcement while addressing the people during a dance competition organised by women wing of All India Vaish Federation, in Karnal.
|CM||Manohar lal Kathar|
|Governor||Satyadev Narayan Arya|
Karnataka to offer Rs.425/quintal bonus over MSP for tur growers
- Karnataka is offering a bonus of 425 per quintal for tur (redgram) growers, over and above the minimum support price (MSP) of Rs.5 675 for the pulses crop. The total pay-out for tur growers will be Rs.6100 a quintal for the 2018-19 season.
- A maximum quantity of 10 quintals will be procured from each farmer
- Tur has been planted on about 15.29 lakh hectares in the State and the total production is expected to be around 10.19 lakh tonnes.
|Governor||Vajubai Rudubai Wala|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Yes Bank to use data analytics to offer right mix of products
- With an increasing focus on retail customers, Yes Bank is now churning data to understand customer behaviour and offer a right mix of products based on a predictability model,
- The bank has already diversified into retail segment and now harnessing data analytics to come up with models that help understand customer behaviour
|Yes Bank CEO||Rana Kapoor|
|Tagline||Experience our Expertise|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
P.V. Bharathi Appointed as MD&CEO Corporation Bank
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of P V Bharathi as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of Corporation Bank. Prior to this elevation, Bharathi was an Executive Director at Canara Bank
- She will take over the charge on or after February 1, 2019 and remain in the post till March 31, 2020
|Corporation Bank CEO||Jai Kumar Garg|
|Tagline||A Premier Public Sector Bank, Prosperity for all|
Sangeeta Verma joins as CCI member
- Sangeeta Verma, a previous Indian Economic Service (IES) officer has joined the Competition Commission of India (CCI) as a member.
- The CCI will now have its full strength, with one chairperson Ashok Kumar Gupta and three members
- The other two members are Augustine Peter and UC Nahta.
- The Commission was established in 2003 to replace the Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission.
Tata Coffee appoints Chacko Thomas as MD CEO
- Tata Coffee Executive Director and Deputy CEO Chacko Purackal Thomas has been promoted as the managing director and chief executive officer.
- He will assume the charge from April 1, 2019.He will take over from Sanjiv Sarin, whose term ends on March 31, 2019
- Thomas has been associated with Tata Coffee as the executive director and deputy chief executive officer (CEO) since, 2015.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 106th Indian Science Congress
- The Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) has been organising the event annually to bring together science fraternity from across the world to discuss innovations and researches.
- This year, six Nobel laureates from countries like Germany, Hungary, England and others will be participating in the science congress to make it the largest such gathering of its kind in the world
- The 106th Science Congress to be hosted by Lovely Professional University (LPU) in Jalandhar, Punjabfrom January 3 to 7, 2019
- The theme of the Summit is FUTURE INDIA – Science and Technology
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Rafi Award conferred to late music composer Laxmikant and singer Usha Timothy
- The Mohammed Rafi Award has been bestowed upon late music composer Laxmikant Shantaram Kudalkar and playback singer Usha Timothy. The award was instituted by an NGO headed by Mumbai BJP Chief Ashish Shelar
- Kudalkar, was given the Mohammed Rafi Lifetime Achievement Award consisting of Rs 1 lakh and a trophy
- Timothy was honoured with the Mohammed Rafi Award and Rs 51,000
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Bengali poet Nirendranath Chakraborty Passes Away
- Bengali poet Nirendranath Chakraborty Passed away
- Chakraborty wrote at least 47 books, many of them for children, 12 novels and many essays on various problems.
- He was editor of the children’s magazine Anandamela for years,
- Chakraborty published his first book of poems, Nil Nirjone in 1954, when he was 30 years old.
- In 1974, he won the Sahitya Akademi award for his poem Ulanga Raja, which was a satire on society.