Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
Vigilance Awareness Week – 2018
- The Central Vigilance Commission observes the Vigilance Awareness Week every year during the week in which birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (31stOctober) falls. The 2018 Vigilance Awareness Week is being observed from 29th October to 3rd November, 2018.
|Theme||Eradicate Corruption-Build a New India|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
MHRD to spend Rs 200 cr on research in social science
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)launched a scheme in New Delhi in which it will be spending Rs 200 crore for promoting research in social sciences. The ‘Impactful Policy Research in Social Science’ (IMPRESS) will fund around 1,500 projects on merit basis and each will be allocated Rs 20-25 lakh. The fund would be released in four phases, with the first batch being finalised by January 2019.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Mahinda Rajapaksha sworn in as Prime Minister of Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena has sacked Ranil Wickremesinghe, incumbent prime minister of Sri Lanka and appointed former President Mahinda Rajapaksha as new Prime Minister.
|Sri Lankan Capital||Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte|
World’s largest airport ‘under one roof’ to open in Istanbul
- The world’s largest airport terminal “under one roof” with a capacity to serve 90 million passengers will be officially opened on October 29 in Istanbul, Turkey. Dubbed as phase-1A of the project Istanbul New Airport will have a capacity to handle 90 million passenger per year, making it the largest such facility in the world.
Philippine Island once called ‘Cesspool’ reopens to visitors
- The Philippine island- Boracay, which was once called ‘cesspool’ due to overcrowding, partying and neglect, was opened for visitors on October 26, 2018 after a six-month closure to clean waters.
China and Japan to partner in building Asia infrastructure
- China and Japan to partner in building Asia infrastructure. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has arrived in China. His visit is expected to trigger significant collaboration between Tokyo and Beijing in developing infrastructure in Asia. He was received by his Chinese counterpart Li Keqiang, at the Great Hall of the People. The function was held to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the China-Japan treaty of friendship.
Pakistan to send first manned space mission in 2022
- Pakistan’s plan to send a human to space is aimed for the same year that India plans to launch its own manned human space mission. The major difference between the two missions is that while ISRO’s mission will be their own, Pakistan will do so with China’s help.
US to not allow Iran to develop world’s deadliest weapons
- US President Donald Trump said that all sanctions against Iran lifted by the 2015 nuclear deal will be back in full force from November 5 and promised more in the future to prevent Tehran from developing the world’s deadliest weapons.
|US Capital||Washington DC|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
The Punjab government has banned the sale of glyphosate
- The Punjab government has banned the sale of glyphosate. Glyphosate is a herbicide which is extensively used in the State to control a wide variety of weeds in almost all the crops. The chemical has been observed to be a Group 2A cancer-causing material. This chemical is also known for causing other health problems and has the potential to damage human DNA.
|Governor||V P Singh Badnore|
Centre to build sports stadium for differently-abled in Meghalaya
- Union Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot announced that the Centre would set up a sports stadium of international standard for persons with disability in Meghalaya. He said the stadium would be one of the five facilities across the country to be set up at an estimated cost of over Rs 200 crore. The detailed project report will be prepared soon and the stadium will come up before the National Games 2022.
Kerala needs Rs 31,000 crore post floods: UN report
- Kerala will need about Rs 31,000 crore for recovery and reconstruction following the century’s worst floods, according to a UN report presented to the Chief Minister by UN Resident Coordinator in India Yuri Afanasiev. Afanasiev presented the Post Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) report to Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan in Thiruvananthapuram. This is the first time the UN has prepared such a report in India.
Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board to issue masala bonds worth Rs 5,000 crore for development works
- Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB) is going to issue Masala bonds worth Rs. 5,000 crore to mobilise funds for various development works. KIIFB has appointed Standard & Poor’s and Fitch Ratings for rating the Masala bonds issue. The bonds will be listed in London and Singapore stock exchanges. The funds will be raised in tranches over period of 10 years.
Gogha- Dahej Ro-Pax Ferry service will be inaugurated in Gujarat
- Gogha- Dahej Ro-Pax Ferry service will be inaugurated in Gujarat on 27 October 2018. The ferry service is a part of Sagarmala programme of the Ministry of Shipping. The ferry service has a carrying capacity of 100 vehicles and 500 passengers. The ferry will travel through the sea route by crossing the Gulf in Cambay.
METRO INOX is India’s First Rooftop Solar Powered Cinema and South Mumbai’s Largest Multiplex
- Mumbai’s iconic heritage cinema METRO INOX is India’s First Rooftop Solar Powered Cinema and South Mumbai’s Largest Multiplex. It has launched two INSIGNIA screens which are 100% solar powered. It has become the first multiplex in India to join the solar revolution.
|Governor||Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI to inject Rs 40000 cr liquidity into system in November:
- The Reserve Bank of India will inject Rs 40,000 crore in the banking system next month, a move that will help ease cash shortage in the system and stabilise debt market rates. RBI has decided to conduct purchase of government securities under open market operations for an aggregate amount of $400 billion in the month of November 2018.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Reliance Naval and Engineering (RNEL) launched a 3,000-tonne training ship for the Indian Coast Guard (ICG)
- Reliance Naval and Engineering (RNEL) launched a 3,000-tonne training ship for the Indian Coast Guard (ICG). The state-of-the-art training vessel will be delivered to the ICG in May next year. The 105-metre long training vessel, the largest ship ever built for the ICG. The ship, built at a cost of Rs 220 crore, was named by Urmila Singh as ICGS Varuna at a ceremony attended by a large gathering of Coast Guard officers and government officials.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Senior diplomat Saurabh Kumar has been appointed India’s ambassador to Myanmar
- Senior diplomat Saurabh Kumar has been appointed India’s ambassador to Myanmar. Saurabh Kumar, a 1989 batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as the Indian envoy in Iran. Kumar will succeed Vikram Misri who has been serving as Indian envoy in Myanmar since August 31, 2016.
Five high courts in the country got new chief justices
|Chief justice of the Uttarakhand HC||Justice Ramesh Rangnath|
|Chief justice of the Sikkim HC||Vijai Kumar Bist|
|Chief justice of the Calcutta HC||Debasis Kar Gupta|
|Chief justice of Gauhati HC||Ajjikuttira Somaiah Bopanna|
|Chief justice of the Bombay HC||Naresh Harishchandra Patil|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Asma Jahangir posthumously awarded UN Human Rights Prize
- Late Pakistani human rights activist and lawyer Asma Jahangir was announced as one of the four winners of the 2018 UN Human Rights Prize. She became the fourth Pakistani woman to be awarded the UN Human Rights Prize.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
2nd International Conference On Primary Health Care Held in Kazakhstan
- J P Nadda, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare addressed the ‘Second Plenary Session of ‘2nd International Conference on Primary Health Care (PHC) towards UHC & SDGs’, at Astana, Kazakhstan.
Union Minister Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the 10th Edition of BIOFACH INDIA
- Honourable Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the 10th Edition of BIOFACH INDIA, the largest show on the “Organic Sector” in India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
Maneka Gandhi inaugurates 5th edition of Women of India National Organic Fest 2018 in New Delhi
- Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi inaugurated the 5th edition of Women of India National Organic Fest 2018 in New Delhi. The fest will continue till 4th of next month.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
India’s FIFA ranking unfazed, retain 97th spot
- The Indian men’s football ranking is unfazed, as it continues to be placed at the 97th spot in the latest rankings released by Federation International Football Association (FIFA). Belgium have retained the pole position ahead of World Cup champions France.
PV Sindhu regains World No. 2 spot in BWF rankings
- Olympic and world championship silver medallist PV Sindhu has once again regained her World No. 2 status in the latest BWF rankings. She is behind Chinese Taipei’s Tai Tzu Ying, who continues to dominate the rankings.
Wheelchair shuttler Sanjeev Kumar wins two gold medals at Denmark Open
- Dropped for Para Asian Games, wheelchair badminton player Sanjeev Kumar returned with two gold medals and a bronze from the first Victor Denmark Championship recently in Odense, Denmark.
/ 5. Reviews