Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates, those who are preparing for IBPS/RBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
Celebrate World Coconut Day
- Coconut Development Board is celebrating World Coconut Day 2018 in association with the Department of Horticulture, Government of Chhattisgarh on the theme ‘Coconut for Good Health, Wealth & Wellness’ on 2nd September at Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Census 2021 for first time to collect data on Other Backwards Castes
- Union Home Ministry has announced that Census 2021 for the first time in independent India will collect data on Other Backwards Castes (OBCs). This comes more than 25 years after implementation of 27% reservation for OBCs based on Mandal Commission’s recommendations on basis of last castes data collected in 1931 census.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Nepal-Bharat Maitri Pashupati Dharamshala inaugurated in Kathmandu
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with Nepal PM K P Sharma Oli inaugurated 400-bed Nepal-Bharat Maitri Pashupati Dharamshala in Kathmandu, capital of Nepal. They handed over this dharamshala to Pashupati Area Development Trust.
China-Maldives Friendship Bridge: First cross-sea bridge in the Maldives inaugurated
- China-Maldives Friendship Bridge was recently opened for traffic. It is first cross-sea bridge to be built in Maldives. It was China’s flagship infrastructure project in Maldives. It is considered as iconic project of China and Maldives cooperation towards building 21st Century Maritime Silk Road.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Bengal aiming to reduce under nutrition by 2020: Mamata
- Observing the National Nutrition Week, West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee said that the state government has adopted a multi-sectoral strategy to reduce under-nutrition and anaemia among women and children in a targeted manner by 2020.
|West Bengal Capital||Kolkata|
|Governor||Keshari Nath Tripathi|
Kerala ropes in KPMG as consultant for rebuilding flood hit state
- Kerala Government has decided to appoint KPMG as project consultant partner for rebuilding state ravaged by recent massive floods. This decision was taken at state cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. Beisdes, Tata Project Ltd was entrusted with task of reconstructing roads, buildings and bridges destroyed in rain fury at Pamba, the foothills of famous Lord Ayyappa shrine in Sabarimala.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Eight core industries output record 6.6% growth in July 2018
- According to Index of Eight Core Industries released by Ministry of Commerce and Industry, eight core sectors have grown by 6.6% in July 2018 pushed by healthy output in coal, refinery products, cement and fertilizer sectors. It had registered growth of 2.9% in July 2017.
Sunil Mehta elected as new Chairman of Indian Bank’s Association for 2018-19
- Punjab National Bank (PNB’s) managing director and chief executive, Sunil Mehta was elected as new chairman of Indian Banks Association (IBA) for year 2018-19.
- Bank of India’s managing director and chief executive Dina Bandhu Mohapatra was elected as the deputy chairman.
- Madhav Nair, country head and chief executive, Mashreqbank PSC, was elected as Honorary Secretary of IBA for 2018-19, State Bank of India’s chairman, Rajnish Kumar, and Federal Bank’s managing director, Shyam Srinivasan, will continue as deputy chairmen of IBA.
PM Modi Launches India’s Largest Payments Bank, IPPB
- Prime MinisterNarendra Modi launched the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) that aims “to change the the banking system in the country”. The launch was done at Talkatora Stadium in New Delhi
- IPPB will offer a range of products such as savings and current accounts, money transfer, direct benefit transfers, bill and utility payments, and enterprise and merchant payments.
- The India Post Payments Bank (IPPB)is a public sector company under the department of posts and ministry of communication with a 100% equity of the government of India, and governed by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- This will create the country’s largest banking network with a direct presence at the village level. IPPB has been allowed to link around 17 crore postal savings bank accounts with its accounts. IPPBhas been launched with 650 branches in addition to 3,250 access points co-located at post offices. Two pilot IPPB branches were inaugurated on January 30, 2017 at Raipur and Ranchi.
- Managing director and chief executive officer of IPPB-Suresh Sethi.
SBI opens e-facilitation facility for army veterans in Bengal
- Major General A.K. Sanyal, General Officer Commanding, Bengal Sub-area, inaugurated State Bank of India (SBI)’s e-facilitationand e-corner facility for Indian army veterans at the Army Complex near Fort William, Kolkata.
- The key feature will be bank’s Central Pension Processing Centre (CPPC)representative working in close coordination with the officer responsible for welfare of veterans under Bengal Sub-area headquarters to facilitate the process of resolution of pension cases which affects a large segment of pensioners.
India to exceed 7.5% growth this fiscal: Govt
- Enthused by 8.2 per cent GDP growth in the first quarter of 2018-19, the Finance Ministry expressed the hope that economy may expand at5 per cent in the current fiscal. The country’s economy is on steady growth path, Economic Affairs Secretary S C Garg said while commenting on the April-June quarter growth number.
He also said that the fiscal deficit will not exceed 3.3 per cent of the GDP in 2018-19.
Indian economy likely to grow at 7.4% in FY19: NCAER
- Economic policy think-tank NCAERhas retained India’s growth forecast for the current fiscal at 4 per cent citing comfortable agricultural sector outlook and a marked improvement in the external sector.
National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) report suggests that GDP at market prices will grow at 7.4 per cent for 2018–19.
- According to the economic policy think tank, the trends for both rainfall and prices indicate comfortable agricultural sector outlook for the year as a whole.
UIDAI relaxes minimum Aadhaar enrolment targets, related deadlines for banks
- UIDAI extended till November 1 the deadline for banks to do minimum Aadhaar enrolments and updations in identified branches.
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has asked banks to ensure that at least eightenrolments or updations are carried out daily in each stipulated branch from November 1, 2018, to avoid financial disincentives to be applicable from July 2018.
- Under the new deadline, the banks will have to ensure that minimum enrolment or updation be raised to 12 from January 1, 2019 and 16 from April 1, 2019, according to the UIDAI.
Licence of Bhilwara Mahila Urban Co-operative Bank cancelled by RBI
- The RBI has cancelled the licence of Rajasthan-based Bhilwara Mahila Urban Co-operative Bank as it does not have adequate capital and earning prospects. The RBI said it has cancelled the licence of the bank with effect from the close of business on August 31, 2018. “The bank does not have adequate capital and earning prospects. The bank is not in a position to pay its present and future depositors in full as and when their claims accrue,” the apex bank (RBI) said.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Vodafone Idea Ltd: Idea Cellular and Vodafone completes merger to create India’s largest telecom operator
- The merger of Idea Cellular and Vodafone India has been completed after it was cleared by National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT). This merger has created India’s biggest telecom service provider. The merged entity is named Vodafone Idea Ltd and dislodges current market leader Bharti Airtel from top position, by its sheer size and scale. New board has been constituted for merged entity with 12 directors (including six independent directors) and Kumar Mangalam Birla as its Chairman.
India to house Uber elevate
- Uber plans to launch ‘Uber Elevate’, an air taxi service, in 2020. Uber chose Dallas and Los Angeles as its first two launch cities in the U.S. for introducing its aerial taxi service. Uber is considering to include India in this service. It has also shortlisted five countries, namely India, Japan, Australia, Brazil and France and one of them will become the first Uber Air City outside of the United States. Uber will be operating demonstrator flights starting 2020 and beginning commercial operations in 2023 in the three cities.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Binoy Kumar appointed as the new Secretary of the Ministry of Steel
- Binoy Kumar, the 1983 batch IAS officer of the Telengana cadre, has assumed charged as the new Secretary of the Ministry of Steel on September 1, 2018. He had been posted as Officer on Special Duty in the Steel Ministry since May 21, 2018. He succeeded Aruna Sharma, who recently superannuated. Prior to this, Binoy Kumar held the post of Special Secretary, Logistics, in the Department of Commerce, where he continued to hold additional charge till 31st July 2018
ICICI Bank reappoints Chanda Kochhar on board of ICICI Securities
- ICICI Bankhas favoured the reappointment of Chanda Kochhar as a director on the board of ICICI Securities during the latter’s annual general meeting. This, for all intents and purposes, finalises Kochhar’s another stint at the ICICI Securities board, as the ICICI Bank holds 80 per cent stake in its broking arm.
Madhavan takes charge as HAL CMD
- Defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)said R Madhavan has taken over as Chairman and Managing Director from T Suvarna Raju. He was heading HAL’s Accessories Division at Lucknow as an Executive Director.
Justice Ranjan Gogoi to take charge as Chief Justice of India
- JusticeRanjan Gogoi is set to take over as the new Chief Justice of India on October 3, 2018. His name has been recommended for the post by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra to the government
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
India, Nepal sign MoU on Raxual-Kathmandu railway line
- India and Nepal have signed MoU to build strategic railway line connecting Raxaul city in Bihar, India to Kathmandu, capital of Nepal. It was signed after Prime Minister Narendra Modi held talks on all aspects of the bilateral ties with his Nepalese counterpart KP Sharma Oli on sidelines of 4th BIMSTEC Summit held in Nepal.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
The 4th International Ayurveda Congress (IAvC) 2018 has been inaugurated at Leiden, the Netherlands
- The 4th International Ayurveda Congress (IAvC) 2018 has been inaugurated by Minister of State for AYUSH Shripad Yesso Naik at Leiden, the Netherlands on September 1. The congress would focus on promotion and propagation of Ayurveda in the Netherlands and its neighbouring countries of Europe. The 2-day congress is jointly organized by International Maharishi Ayurveda Foundation (Netherlands), All India Ayurvedic Congress (New Delhi) and the International Academy of Ayurveda (Pune) in association with the Indian Embassy in the Netherlands. A special Seminar is also organized by the Indian Embassy titled “India-Netherlands collaboration in Healthcare, including Ayurveda”.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOBILE APP AND PORTAL
Punjab’s CM launches e-properties module to facilitate online property transactions called PUDA 360
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singhlaunched PUDA 360, an e-properties module to facilitate online property transactions. It is aimed at bringing greater efficiency and transparency in the functioning of Punjab Urban Planning and Development Authority (PUDA).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Tamil Nadu Subramaniam Badrinath quits all forms of cricket
- Former India and Tamil Nadu batsmanSubramaniam Badrinath announced his retirement from all forms of cricket in a specially organised presser at the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) headquarters in Chennai.
Japan’s swimmer Ikee named Asian Games’ MVP
- Japan’s young swimmer Rikako Ikee was named the Indonesia Asian Games’ Most Valuable Player (MVP) after winning six gold and two silver medals. She received $50,000 in prize money.