Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery 2018
- The International Day for the Abolition of Slavery is a yearly event on December 2, organized by the United Nations General Assembly. The Day was first celebrated in 1986.
International Day of Disabled Persons 2018
- International Day of People with Disability on December 3 each year is an international observance promoted by the United Nations since 1992. 2012 marks the 20th anniversary of the International Day for People with Disabilities. The day aims to promote an understanding of people with disability and encourage support for their dignity, rights and well-being.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Government puts imports of gold dore in restricted category
- Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) under Ministry of Commerce and Industry has put imports of gold dore in restricted category. This means, now, importer needs a license to import this commodity.
Ministry of Civil Aviation plans to introduce 15 helipads across the country
- Ministry of Civil Aviation plans to introduce 15 helipads across the country to improve tourism prospects. Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha said that the helipads will be established in hilly areas to explore the tourist potential in the north and north-eastern parts of the country.
PM Modi to be invited to Pakistan for SAARC summit
- Pakistan’s Foreign Office Spokesman Mohammad Faisal said Prime Minister Narendra Modi is to be invited to Pakistan for the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) summit.
India to Chair Kimberley Process Certification Scheme from January 2018
- India will Chair Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) from 1st January 2018. It was was handed Chairmanship by the European Union during KPCS Plenary 2018, which was held in Brussels, Belgium. India as KPCS Chair will be committed to
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Australia become first country to recognise orphanage trafficking as slavery
- Australia becomes the first country in the world to recognize ‘orphanage trafficking’ as a form of modern slavery. Children from smaller countries are recruited in orphanages in the West for the purpose of profit through foreign aid.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Hornbill Festival of Nagaland
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the 10-day-long Hornbill Festival of Nagaland at Naga Heritage Village Kisama on 1st December 2018. More than 60,000 people have visited the Hornbill Festival. The assistant director of Tourism department (Statistics) T. Khakihe Sumi said that altogether 63,032 visitors with 780 foreigners have visited the picturesque venue.
India’s first owl festival was held in Pune
- India’s first owl festival was held at Pingori village in Purandar taluka of Pune from November 29. The two-day festival, organised by Ela Foundation (an NGO working towards nature education and conservation), will give information on owl conservation and feature art forms like pictures, paintings, lanterns, lamp shades, posters, origami, stitched articles, poems and stories on owls.
||Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
WhatsApp awaits RBI approval to expand its payment services in India
- WhatsApp sought Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) approval that it can expand its payments services to all its 200 million users in India. The messaging app is waiting for a regulatory clearance to launch full-fledged payments operations in India. It has been almost two years since it first began discussions with the government on its payments services plans.
State Bank of Mauritius gets RBI approval for subsidiary
- Mauritius based SBM group granted a license by Reserve Bank of India to operate SBM Bank (India) Limited through Wholly Owned Subsidiary (WOS) mode under the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 with effect from December 1, 2018. Now at present SBM operate its branches in Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, and Ramachandrapuram since 1994. It plans to open six new branches in Delhi, Bangalore, Kolkata, Pune, Ahmedabad, and Jaipur by next year.
Growth rate of 8 infrastructure sectors slows down to 4.8% in October 2018
- According to index of eight core industries released by Ministry of Commerce and Industry, growth rate of eight infrastructure sectors slowed down to 4.8 per cent in October 2018. This was mainly due to contraction in production of crude oil, natural gas and fertilizer. It had recorded growth rate of 5% in October 2017. During April-October 2018-19, eight sectors recorded a growth rate of 5.4% against 3.5 per cent in the same period last year.
Reserve Bank of India moves to ease liquidity for non-banking finance firms
- Reserve Bank of India in a move to make more liquidity available to non-banking finance firms (NBFCs)issued a circular to relax the securitization norms by relaxing the Minimum Holding Period (MHP) requirement. The NBFC sector is facing liquidity shortage after Infrastructure Leasing & Finance Services, a core investment company, started defaulting on loans. The cost of funds gone up for the non-banking finance firms putting pressure on profitability.
India is the fastest growing e-commerce market: Report by Bain & Company
- According to the report, India’s online retail market had a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 53% from 2013 to 2017. This rapid growth is due to heavily discount-driven e-commerce marketplaces, improvement in delivery infrastructure and increased smartphone penetration and data usage. India’s total e-commerce retail sales in 2017 were nearly $20 billion. As per the studies, another $50 billion of online e-commerce could be introduced by adding new users and bringing back the currently inactive old users. India was in 8th rank in terms of online retail penetration among 11 countries.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Sunil Arora took charge as new Chief Election Commissioner
- Sunil Arora, the senior-most election commissioner, on Dec 2 took charge as the 23rd Chief Election Commissioner, succeeding OP Rawat who demitted office on December 1. Besides the Parliamentary polls, the 2019 assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir, Odisha, Maharashtra, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim will be held during his tenure. He will be in office till October 2021.
World Gold Council appoints David Tait as next CEO
- The market development organization for the gold industry, The World Gold Council announced the appointment of David Tait who has a very successful career in the financial services industry as the incoming Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
Andrs Manuel Lpez Obrador became first leftist president of Mexico
- He became as President and signed an agreement with three Central American counterparts to create a plan to stem the flow of migrants seeking asylum in the USA.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
UNESCO/Emir Jaber al-Ahmad al Jaber al Sabah Prize awarded to Vashkar Bhattacharjee and Tencent
- Bangladeshi disabilities’ advocate Vashkar Bhattacharjee and Chinese private sector ICT enterprise, Tencent (China) were awarded UNESCO/Emir Jaber al Ahmad al Jaber al Sabah Prize for Digital Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
India, China inked protocol on hygiene & inspection requirements for exports
- A protocol on hygiene and inspection requirements for the exports was signed in New Delhi during the visit of Chinese Vice Minister, General Administration of Customs of China Hu Wei who is leading a six-member delegation to India. The move would enable India to commence export of fish meal and fish oil to China.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
First India-ASEAN InnoTech Summit held in New Delhi
- The first India-ASEAN InnoTech Summit was held in New Delhi. It was organized by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) in association with Department of Science & Technology (DST) and Ministry of External Affairs.
India to host G20 summit in 2022
- India is to host the annual G20 summit in 2022 as it will be celebrating its 75th anniversary of Independence. This will be India’s first time to host the G20 summit. The announcement was made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the closing ceremony of the 13th G20 summit in the Argentinian capital on 1st December 2018. The Prime Minister thanked Italy for allowing India to play the host as it was to host the summit in 2022.
The 13th edition of the CII Agro Tech India-2018 – the biennial agro technology and business fair held in Chandigarh
- The 13th edition of the CII Agro Tech India-2018 – the biennial agro technology and business fair held in Chandigarh. The 4-day International Agro Technology and Business Fair is being organised by Confederation of Indian Industries (CII). In the fair, the partner country is Great Britain while focus countries are Canada and China
||‘Technology in Agriculture: Increasing Farmer’s Income’
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
FSSAI launches Heart Attack Rewind Campaign for elimination of industrially produced trans-fat
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) launched media campaign “Heart Attack Rewind”, calling for elimination of industrially produced trans-fat in the food supply. It will support FSSAI’s global target of eliminating trans-fat in India by 2022, a year ahead of global target by World Health Organization (WHO). It is in line with FSSAOI’s objective to get Freedom from ‘Trans Fat: India@75′.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Ex Cope India 18, the bilateral military exercise between IAF and the U.S., began
- The Air Forces of India (IAF) and the U.S. began the ‘Ex Cope India-18’, a 12-day military exercise, in the Kalaikunda and Panagarh air bases in West Bengal. The aim is to enhance operational coordination and to provide operational exposure and undertake the mutual exchange of best practices towards enhancing operational capability.
India, China to hold joint military exercises ‘Hand in Hand’ from December 10
- The militaries of China and India would hold a joint 14-day drill from December 10 in southwest China’s Chengdu city to improve their capabilities in fighting terrorism and promote mutual understanding. The 7th India and China joint military exercises – ‘Hand in Hand’ – will focuss on counter-terrorism operations. The exercises will be held after a gap of one year as both the sides were locked in a 73-day standoff in Doklam in the Sikkim sector of the border in 2017.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
UNESCO accepted Korean wrestling as one of the world’s most treasured cultural practices
- UNESCO accepted a joint bid for Korean wrestling to be recognized as one of the world’s most treasured cultural practices. This bids a new step in their reconciliation efforts of North and South Korea. The two Koreas had originally filed separate applications for their traditional form of wrestling to be recognized on the UN agency’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list.
Raninder Singh becomes first Indian to be elected ISSF Vice President
- The elections were held during the General Assembly meeting of ISSF in Munich in which Raninder secured 161 votes to make it to the coveted position. The 51-year-old Raninder is currently the president of the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI).
Magnus Carlsen retains World Chess Championship 2018 title
- World number one Norwegian Magnus Carlsen has retained his World Chess Championship title, beating US opponent Fabiano Caruana in a tie-breaker event. Carlsen’s peak rating of 2882, achieved in 2014, is the highest in history. Carlsen became World Champion in 2013 by defeating Viswanathan Anand.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Former US President George HW Bush passed away at 94
- George HW Bush became 41st president of the United States in 1989 after serving as vice-president under Ronald Reagan. His son, George W. Bush was also elected president and served two terms between 2001 and 2009. George HW Bush presided over the end of the Cold War and routed Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi army but lost a chance for a second term after breaking a no-new-taxes pledge.