Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates, those who are preparing for IBPS/RBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Government asks States to ban e-cigarettes
- Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare issued advisory to all states and Union Territories to not allow manufacture, sale and advertisement of e-cigarettes and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS). It also has issued warning that use e-cigarettes and other ENDS devices pose great health risk to public at large, especially to children and pregnant women.
NVIDIA made deep learning technology partner of NITI Aayog for Move Hack
- Union Government’s premier think tank NITI Aayog has made computer chip manufacturer NVIDIA its deep learning technology partner to support its Move Hack event. Move Hack is global mobility hackathon event organized by NITI Aayog to crowd source solutions aimed at the future of mobility in India.
Third Edition Of World’s Biggest Open Innovation Model Smart India Hackathon 2019 launched
- It is a nationwide initiative to provide students a platform to solve some of the pressing problems we face in our daily lives, and thus inculcate a culture of product innovation and a mindset of problem-solving. For the first time, Private industry/ organizations and NGOs can also send their problem statements to students under SIH-2019.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
India’s first interstate connected wind power project commissioned in Bhuj
- 126 MW wind power capacity, part of country’s first Inter State Transmission System (ISTS) auction, is commissioned in Bhuj, Gujarat. The energy generated from this project is being purchased by Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh.
|Governor||Om Prakash Kholi|
US based GEER to investigate the impact of the torrential rains that hit Kerala
- A team of scientists from the U.S.-based Geotechnical Extreme Events Reconnaissance (GEER) Association is to investigate the impact of the torrential rains that hit Kerala. The team will be arriving on September 3, 2018. The delegation is led by Thomas Oommen, Associate Professor, Michigan Technological University and Richard Coffman, Associate Professor, University of Arkansas.
Sushma Swaraj inaugurated ‘Jaipur Foot’ camp in Vietnam capital Hanoi
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj who is on a four day two nation tour of South East Asia which includes Vietnam and Cambodia, presented free India-made prosthetic limbs for 500 Vietnamese beneficiaries. Last month, it was announced in Jaipur that about 1,000 differently-abled people in Myanmar and Vietnam would be provided ‘Jaipur Foot’.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
99.3 percent of demonetised currency returned: RBI in its Annual Report 2017-18
- Over 99 percent of the demonetised currency was returned, as per the Annual Report 2017-18 of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). The report was released on August 29, 2018.
- In November 2016, the Union Government withdrew Rs 500 and Rs 1000 currency notes from the circulation with effect from November 9, 2016. The demonetisation was hailed as a step that would curb black money, corruption and check counterfeit currency.
Government to launch India Post Payments banks at 650 places
- The Union Government is planning to launch India Post Payment Banks-IPPB at 650 places. The information was shared by Communications Minister Manoj Sinha.
- The Minister said that savings accounts, current accounts, money transfer, enterprise and merchant payments will be the highlights of the India Post Payment Banks.
- The Minister also said that by December 2018, the IPPBs will provide doorstep banking at rural areas and with the help of National Payment Corporation of India and RBI , IPPB will give last mile connectivity to banking.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Google to display technology in Indian vernacular languages
- Google plans to introduce technology and product experiences which are locally relevant to users in India in vernacular languages. It has been observed, so far, that the majority of Internet users are Indian language users, a number expected to reach 500 million-plus in the next two years. Earlier, Google launched ‘Project Navlekha’ which helps to easily make offline content fully editable and publish on a branded domain without expert digital knowledge.
Freecharge, AbhiBus partner to launch new category of services
- Digital marketplace for financial services Freechargehas announced the launch of a new category of service offering in partnership with AbhiBus.
- Through this partnership, Freecharge aims at creating large footprints to scale up its value chain and deepen consumer engagement. The company’s objective, as a part of Axis Bank, is to make itself a comprehensive and open digital financial service platform which can facilitate a suite of offering to its consumers enabling them with accessibility and choice of service.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: COMMITTEE
Government constitute 21-member Prime Minister’s Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council
- Union Government has constituted new 21-member advisory panel on science, technology and innovation called Prime Minister’s Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC). It will be headed by Principal Scientific Advisor to government K Vijay Raghavan. It will replace earlier Scientific Advisory Committee to Prime Minister and to Cabinet.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
First SAARC Agri Cooperative Business Forum Begins In Kathmandu
- The theme of three-day Forum is the ‘Organizing and Strengthening Family Farmers’ cooperatives to attain the Sustainable-Development-Goals-1 and 2 in South Asia’. About SAARC SAARC: South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation Member states: 8 members Headquarters: Kathmandu Official languages: English
4th BIMSTEC Summit kicks off: PM Modi arrives in Nepal
- The 4th BIMSTEC Summit began on August 30, 2018 in Kathmandu, Nepal. The two-day Summit will be held during August 30-31, 2018 with the main focus on countering terrorism, enhancing regional connectivity and boosting trade.
- Theme 2018: ‘Towards a Peaceful, Prosperous and Sustainable Bay of Bengal Region’.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
Union Cabinet approves Earth Sciences Ministry’s umbrella scheme ‘O-SMART’
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs on August 29, 2018 gave its approval for implementation of an umbrella scheme ‘Ocean Services, Technology, Observations, Resources Modelling and Science (O-SMART)’.
- The CCEA, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the scheme for implementation during the period from 2017-18 to 2019-20 at an overall cost of Rs 1623 crore. The scheme covers a total of 16 sub-projects, which address ocean development activities such as services, technology, resources, observations and science.