Current Affairs Today 3rd April 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Visitors can now see Taj Mahal only for three hours:
- The three-hour time cap for visitors to the Taj Mahal came into force on Sunday.
- The Archaeological Survey of India said the time limit starts from the time of buying the ticket, with those spending more time at the site having to pay extra.
- Meanwhile, visitors booking the tickets online can select their 3-hour slot on the website.
Mangalore Airport Adjudged India’s Cleanest Airport:
- The Mangalore International Airport has been adjudged the cleanest airport in the country. Airport director VV Rao received the award during the 23rd annual day celebrations of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) in New Delhi.
- In the survey conducted across 53 airports in the country by AAI, Mangalore airport was adjudged the cleanest.
India is now the world’s No 1 almond importer:
- India has toppled China and Spain to emerge as the world’s largest Importer of Almond in recent times.
- Almond imports into India rose 7 per cent to worth about Rs 3,900 crore last year against Rs 3,640 crore in 2016.
Six monuments in North Eastern States identified for listing under World Heritage Site:
- As many as 6 monuments/historical sites in the North Eastern states have been identified tentatively for listing under World Heritage Site.
- Details of monuments/sites identified/placed under tentative list for listing under world heritage in the north eastern states are given below:
- Apatani Cultural Landscape, Arunachal Pradesh
- Iconic Saree Weaving Clusters of India
- Moidams the Mound, Burial System of the Ahom Dynasty, Assam
- Namdapha National Park, Arunachal Pradesh
- River Island of Majuli in midstream of Brahmaputra River in Assam
- Thembang Fortified Village, Arunachal Pradesh
New plant species Fimbristylis agasthyamalaensis discovered in Western Ghats:
- Researchers have discovered new grass-like plant species named Fimbristylis agasthyamalaensis in Ponmudi hills within the Agasthyamala Biosphere Reserve in the Western Ghats biodiversity hotspot.
- It has been classified as sedge, the grass-like plant and has been named after the locality from which it was found
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Alibaba buys delivery startup Ele.me at $9.5 bn valuation:
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba has announced the company will buy China-based food delivery startup Ele.me for an undisclosed amount in an all-cash deal.
- The latest deal will value the startup at $9.5 billion, Alibaba said in a statement.
- Alibaba and its affiliate Ant Small and Micro Financial Services Group already owned about 43% of the startup.
Google most likely to launch mid-range Pixel, Pixelbook in India:
- Google plans to release a midrange Pixel smartphone, specifically for Indian users. The device is rumoured to launch in July-August this year.
- Google may also launch a premium laptop Pixelbook along with intelligent home automation products such as doorbell, camera, alarm system and a smoke detector, sold under the Nest brand along with its Wi-Fi system – Google WiFi.
- The report also pointed out that Google will expand distribution into general trade and spend big on marketing like Apple and Samsung have been doing in India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
ICICI loses Rs12,000cr in value amid probe into Videocon loan
- ICICI Bank lost as much as Rs.12,000 crore in market value on Monday after the CBI initiated a preliminary enquiry into the bank’s loan to Videocon.
- The bank is currently valued at Rs.1.66 lakh crore after its shares dropped 7% to a 5-month low. A report alleged that the loan benefitted the ICICI CEO Chanda Kochhar’s husband Deepak Kochhar.
SIDBI Foundation Day- Launches ‘Samridhi- Virtual Assistant’ & ‘ Bankability Kit’:
- SIDBI (Small Industries Development Bank of India) celebrated its foundation day (2nd April 1990) as the day of Sampark (connect), Sanwad (interaction), Suraksha (security) and Sampreshan (disseminate).
- Chairman Managing Director of SIDBI Mohammad Mustafa launched a series of initiatives from its Lucknow bank headquarters.
- An MoU was signed with The New India Assurance Co. Ltd. and two MSMEs were issued insurance policies.
- Chairman SIDBI also launched ‘Samridhi- the virtual assistant’ on banks revamped universal loan portal udyamimitra.in.
- During the day, a ‘Bankability Kit’ (brought in partnership with Bank of Baroda and IDBI Bank) was also launched.
|Chairman||Shri Mohammad Mustafa|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has topped in Bloomberg Billionaires Top 100 Index:
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has added $21.8 billion to his fortunes this year and takes the top spot, Microsoft founder Bill Gates was ranked 2nd in Bloomberg Billionaires Top 100 Index.
- From Asia, Alibaba co-founder Jack Ma (ranked 13th) is the richest with a net worth of $47.2 billion and is followed by Tencent co-founder and CEO Pony Ma (17) with a $41.1 billion net worth.
- Reliance Industries Chairman and Managing Director Mukesh Ambani have been ranked 19th on Bloomberg Billionaires Top 100 Index as he becomes the third richest Asian on the list. With a net worth of approximately $38.3 billion, Ambani’s wealth is pegged at about over 1.5 percent of India’s GDP.
India ranks 37th in global startup ecosystem in 2017: Startup blink Report:
- According to report released by global startup ecosystem map Startup blink, India was ranked 37th out of 125 countries in global startup ecosystem in 2017.
- Startup blink is a global startup ecosystem map with tens of thousands of registered startups, coworking spaces, and accelerators. Its report prepared in association with ANSYS Startup Program measures startup ecosystem strength and activity.
- It includes global ranking index of 125 countries and 900 cities, measuring their startup ecosystem strength and activity. The rankings of country are based on thousands of data points gathered from various sources, such as incubators and accelerators that appear on StartupBlink global ecosystem.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
Tibetans to host ‘Thank You India’ campaign in Delhi:
- Former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dixit will preside over the opening ceremony of the Cultural Festival of Tibet event, a part of the year-long ‘Thank You India’ campaign organised by the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), in New Delhi.
- CTA President Lobsang Sangai will also attend the inaugural ceremony that will continue till April 4.
- Apart from the exhibitions, film screening and performances by the Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts, the festival would also see panel discussion on “India and Tibet: Ancient Ties, Current Bonds”.
Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched the Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan (RAA):
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched the Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan (RAA), a convergent framework across School Education and Higher Education aiming to encourage children towards learning Science and Mathematics.
- One of the interventions under RAA is strengthening of school Science and Mathematics laboratories, through the Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA).
- Under RMSA, an amount of Rs. 179.73 crore has been approved in 2017-18, for in-service training of Science and Maths teachers.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
President receives copy of special issue of ‘Think India’ journal on Deen Dayal Upadhyay:
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, received a copy of a special issue of the ‘Think India’ journal, devoted to the late philosopher-politician Deendayal Upadhyay, at Rashtrapati Bhavan today.
- The copy was given to the President by Dr Murli Manohar Joshi, MP, in the presence of Shri D P Tripathi, MP, and editor of the special issue.
- Among others Dr Shashi Tharoor, MP, and Shri Pawan Verma, former MP, were also present.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
Nirmala Sitharaman To Attend Moscow Conference In Russia:
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman is in Russia to attend the 7th Moscow Conference on International Security. This is her first visit to Russia in her capacity as the Defence Minister.
- During her three-day tour, she will meet her Russian counterpart Army General Sergei Shoigu and other senior leaders.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Nadal dethrones Federer to become world no. 1 again:
- Spain’s 16-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal displaced Swiss rival Roger Federer at the top of the ATP men’s singles rankings.
- Nadal, who held the number one spot up until February 18, is now beginning his fifth stint and 168th week at the top of the men’s singles rankings.
- The 31-year-old has been inside the top 10 since April 2005.