Current Affairs Today 5th April 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
April 5: National Maritime Day, India:
- On this day in 1919 navigation history was created when SS Loyalty, the first ship of the Scindia Steam Navigation Company, journeyed to the United Kingdom.
- The National Maritime Day was first celebrated on 5th April, 1964.
|Theme||Indian Shipping – An Ocean of opportunity|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) unveils ‘Virtual ID’:
- The UIDAI has unveiled the beta version of ‘Virtual ID’, which will soon be accepted by service providers in lieu of Aadhaar number.
- In January 2018, UIDAI had announced that it will come up with a ‘Virtual ID’ for Aadhaar Card-holders in order to address privacy concerns related to quoting Aadhaar.
- Virtual ID (VID), which an Aadhaar-card holder can generate from UIDAI’s website is a random 16-digit number mapped to a person’s Aadhaar number and biometrics.
- VID of the user would give any authorized agency like a mobile company, limited details such as name, address and photograph, which are enough for any verification.
- Thus VID will do away with the need of disclosing 12-digit Aadhaar number for authentication or verification purposes.
- UIDAI had stated that all authorized agency/service providers will have to compulsory accept VID for undertaking authentication from June 1, 2018.
Cigarette packs to show addiction helpline number from Sept:
- All tobacco products and cigarette packs will have the national toll-free number 1800-11-2356 printed on them starting September 1 to help users quit smoking.
- Further, enhanced pictorial images and the text messages “tobacco causes painful death” and “tobacco causes cancer” will cover 85% of the packet area.
- As per government data, 62% smokers thought of quitting because of pictorial warnings.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Turkey launches construction of first-ever nuclear plant:
- On April 3, 2018, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan launched construction of Turkey’s first ever nuclear plant on the Mediterranean coast at Akkuyu.
- Turkey launches construction of first-ever nuclear plant. Turkey’s first-ever nuclear plant is being built by Russia’s nuclear energy agency, Rosatom.
- Estimated cost for building this plant is $20 billion. First stage is likely to become operational in 2023, coinciding with 100th anniversary of foundation of Republic of Turkey, while the entire project will be completed in 2026.
|President||Recep Tayyip Erdogan|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
MAA programme launched by Himachal Pradesh Health Minister Vipin Parmar
- On March 4, 2018, Himachal Pradesh Health Minister Vipin Parmar launched Mother’s Absolute Affection (MAA) programme with an aim to promote breastfeeding.
- Objective of MAA programme is to create awareness among masses about the importance of breastfeeding.
- Besides community awareness generation, other components of MAA programme are strengthening inter-personal communication through ASHA workers, skilled support for breastfeeding at delivery points in public health facilities and work places.
- Breastfeeding helps in reducing the incidence of infant mortality and early childhood mortality and provides complete nutrition to a child.
|Himachal Pradesh Capital||Shimla|
|Chief Minister||Jairam Thakur|
|Governor||Acharya Dev Vrat|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
IndusInd Bank to use WhatsApp for customer service:
- On April 4, 2018, IndusInd Bank announced that it has launched a pilot WhatsApp enterprise solution to communicate with its customers.
- IndusInd Bank’s message service on WhatsApp is being rolled out to customers in phases, wherein customers can save the official WhatsApp number of the bank and initiate conversation.
- There will be a two-way communication with replies to customer messages seeking basic banking services.
- The customers of IndusInd Bank will now be able to check balance, obtain mini statement, check reward points as well as update of Aadhaar through WhatsApp.
|IndusInd Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|CEO||Mr. Ramesh Sobti|
|Tagline||We Make You Feel Richer|
Rs. 9 Cr fine on Bank of Baroda over 2015 forex remittance scam:
- The Financial Intelligence Unit has imposed Rs.9 crore penalty on Bank of Baroda. The bank failed in detecting wrongdoing and instances of money laundering at its Delhi-based branch, where a Rs. 6,000-crore forex remittance scam was reported in 2015.
- The bank was also held guilty for failing to file 63 integrally connected cash transactions in seven accounts.
|Bank Of Baroda Headquarters||Vadodara|
|CEO||P. S. Jayakumar|
|Tagline||India’s International Bank.|
Doha Bank sets up first branch in Chennai:
- Qatar-based Doha Bank has set up the first branch in the Chennai taking the total number of branches in the country to three, a top official said.
- Doha Bank currently has a branch in Mumbai, Kochi and Chennai, respectively.
- The Chennai branch will assist the bank’s growing customer base in India offering a host of services including corporate, retail, treasury, trade, finance and foreign exchange services.
|Doha Bank Headquarters||Doha, Qatar|
1st Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement Released By RBI:
- On the basis of an assessment of the current and evolving macroeconomic situation at its meeting, the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) decided to keep the policy repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) unchanged at 6.0%.
- Consequently, the Reverse Repo Rate (RRR) under the LAF remains at 5.75%, and the Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate at 6.25%.
- India’s real gross domestic product (GDP) growth marginally upward to 6.6% from 6.5% in the first advance estimates. GDP growth in 2017-18 at 6.6 percent was lower than 7.1% in 2016-17.
India Ratings ups India’s FY19 GDP growth to 7.4%:
- India Ratings and Research has revised its FY19 GDP growth forecast to 7.4% from 7.1% earlier.
- As per the report, FY19 growth will continue to be driven by consumption and associated sectors such as automobiles, cargo handled at major ports.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Study Khazana, an e-portal has been awarded “For best emerging online Education Portal in North India”:
- Study Khazana, an e-portal, was awarded “For best emerging online Education Portal in North India” at the ‘World Education Summit and Award 2018’ at New Delhi.
- Actress Sharmila Tagore presented the award to Sana Baqai, the Founder of Study Khazana.
- Study Khazana helps education-deprived aspirants get access to quality education irrespective of geographical boundaries and it encourages open knowledge movement.
Anupam Kher gets Best Supporting Actor nomination at BAFTA:
- Anupam Kher has received a nomination in the Best Supporting Actor category at the 2018 BAFTA TV Awards.
- He has been nominated for his performance in the show ‘The Boy with the Topknot’, which airs on the channel BBC Two.
- The actor had recently also featured in the Oscar-nominated film ‘The Big Sick’.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENT
Himanta Biswa Sarma elected as President of Badminton Association of India (BAI):
- On 3rd April 2018, Himanta Biswa Sarma was elected as the President of the Badminton Association of India (BAI) for the next 4 years.
- Himanta Biswa Sarma is a Cabinet Minister in Assam. He took charge as the interim President of BAI in 2017 following the death of former BAI president Akhilesh Das Gupta.
- He was elected as president of the BAI unopposed at its annual general body meeting and election in Goa on 3rd April 2018.
- Former Tamil Nadu Badminton Association president and Lok Sabha MP from Dharmapuri constituency, Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss was elected as the treasurer uncontested.
- Ajay Singhania of Haryana Badminton Association was elected as General Secretary of BAI.
Sanjeev Nautiyal is appointmented as SBI Life gets new MD & CEO:
- SBI Life Insurance has appointed Sanjeev Nautiyal as its new Managing Director and CEO.
- He replaces Arijit Basu, who takes over a key role in the State Bank of India Group.
- Nautiyal started his career with State Bank of India in 1985 as a probationary officer in the bank’s Lucknow Circle.
Subrata Bhattacharjee Appointed As Next Ambassador Of India To Serbia:
- Subrata Bhattacharjee has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Serbia.
- He is an IFS poffice of 1989 batch. He is currently Joint Secretary in Ministry of External Affairs.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Weightlifter Gururaja wins silver which becomes India’s 1st medal at CWG:
- Indian weightlifter P Gururaja bagged the country’s first medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games after lifting a total of 249 kg (111 kg snatch, 138 kg clean and jerk) to win silver in men’s 56 kg on Thursday.
- Earlier at the 2016 Commonwealth Championships, the 26-year-old, who is participating in CWG for the first time, had grabbed a gold medal.
/ 5. Reviews