Current Affairs Today 8th March 2018
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
International Women’s Day:
- International Women’s Day is a worldwide event that celebrates the achievements of women everywhere.
- This year’s celebration comes at the heels of an unprecedented movement for women’s rights as 2018 marks 100 years since women gained the vote after the suffragette movement.
- There have also been global campaigns in the form of #MeToo and #TimesUp – bringing sexual harassment and equal pay to the forefront of the agenda.
- International Women’s Day 2018 campaign theme is #PressforProgress. The day has been observed since 1908, and falls on March 8 each year.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Washington Becomes 1st State To Approve Net-Neutrality Rules:
- Washington has become the first state to enact its own net-neutrality requirements after U.S. regulators repealed Obama-era rules designed to keep the internet an even playing field.
- The new law also requires internet providers to disclose information about their management practices, performance and commercial terms.
- Violations would be enforceable under the state’s Consumer Protection Act.
|USA Capital||Washington DC|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Micro tie up with Bangalore for its first renewable energy deal in India:
- Tech giant Microsoft has inked its first renewable energy deal in India for powering its new facility in Bengaluru.
- The facility, which will be operational starting June, is spread over 5.85 lakh square feet.
- The agreement will see Microsoft purchase 3 megawatts of solar-powered electricity from Atria Power for its new office building in Bengaluru, meeting 80% of the projected electricity needs at the facility.
|Governor||Vajubai Rudubai Vala|
Telangana announces holiday for female staff on Women’s Day:
- The Telangana government has announced a casual leave on March 8 for its female employees on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- Meanwhile, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has also announced that it will deploy an all-women staff on at least one of its toll booths in every state and Union Territory.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI slaps Rs 40 lakh penalty on SBI for flouting fake note norms:
- The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 40 lakh on State Bank of India for non-compliance of its directions on detection and impounding of counterfeit notes.
- An RBI notification issued from Mumbai today informs that the action is based on deficiencies in regulatory compliance found at two of the bank’s currency chests.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS
BV Doshi Becomes 1st Indian To Win Pritzker Prize:
- Architect Balkrishna Vithaldas Doshi has become the first Indian to win the Pritzker Prize, the highest award in architecture.
- Calling the 90-year-old’s works “poetic”, the foundation commended him for respecting the eastern culture and working towards enhancing the quality of life in India.
- Doshi’s most noted works include a low-cost housing project in Indore which accommodates 80,000 people. The award was announced by Tom Pritzker of the Chicago-based Hyatt Foundation.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS
Vivek R Wadekar was appointed as the new Special Director in the Enforcement Directorate (ED):
- Vivek R Wadekar was appointed as the new Special Director in the Enforcement Directorate (ED) by the government.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi issued an order appointing the officer of the Income Tax Department to the new post.
- He has been appointed for the tenure of five years.
- The ED is the central investigative agency, under the Union finance ministry, that enforces the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) and the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) in the country.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Cabinet approves MoU between UPSC and Public Service Commission of Mauritius
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
- The MoU will strengthen the existing relationship between UPSC and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
- It will facilitate sharing of experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment.
- The MoU will develop institutionalized linkage between the Public Service Commission’s of two countries.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
World ATM Congress 2018 Held In Spain:
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) is participating in World ATM Congress (WATMC) 2018 being held in Spain.
- Now entering its sixth year, World ATM Congress is the world’s largest international air traffic management (ATM) exhibition and conference attracting thousands of delegates each year.
- The AAI is showcasing its achievements and initiatives, through a stall at the conference which was inaugurated by A.K. Dutta, Member (ANS), AAI.
‘Vision For Future’ Event Held In New Delhi:
- An event named ‘Vision for Future’ was held in New Delhi to commemorate 70 years of the Indo-Russia ties.
- The event sought to expose the youth to the dynamic opportunities of cooperation between the two countries.
- The program inaugurated at the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra was organised by the Ministry of External Affairs (Eurasia Division) and the International Federation of Indo-Russian Youth Clubs.
Swachh Shakti 2018 going to held in Lucknow:
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, in association with the Government of Uttar Pradesh, is organizing a Women’s Convention – called Swachh Shakti 2018 – on International Women’s Day, at Lucknow.
- 8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachhagrah, 2000 mahilasamakhyas from Uttar Pradesh and women sarpanches from across the country have been invited to recognize their outstanding contribution towards making Swachh Bharat a reality in rural India.
- Last year, 6000 women sarpanches from across the country had assembled in Gujarat on the occasion of International Women’s Day under the banner Swachh Shakti 2017.
4th India-Europe 29 Business Forum Held In New Delhi:
- The fourth India-Europe 29 Business Forum (IE29BF) took place in New Delhi.
- The Forum was created for the first time in 2014 by Ministry of External Affairs and Federation of Indian Chambers and Commerce (FICCI) to provide an institutionalized platform for promoting business exchanges between India and the twenty-nine countries of Central Europe region.
- The theme of IE29BF 2018 was ‘Synergizing Economic Vision for Expanded Relations’. For IE29BF 2018, Czech Republic was the ‘Focus Country’.
|Theme||Synergizing Economic Vision for Expanded Relations’|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
NITI Aayog Has Launched Women Entrepreneurship Platform:
- NITI Aayog launched the Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP), on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- The initiative is aimed at building an ecosystem for women across India to realize their entrepreneurial aspirations, scale-up innovative initiatives and chalk-out sustainable, long-term strategies for their businesses.
- CEO, NITI Aayog, Amitabh Kant, launched the WEP platform at NITI Aayog premises in New Delhi. The WEP theme song “Naari Shakti” composed and sung by Shri Kailash Kher was released on this occasion.
Itanagar Celebrates Silver Jubilee Of Losar Festival:
- The Buddhist Community of Itanagar celebrated the silver jubilee of the Losar Festival in Arunachal Pradesh. The three-day festival, organized by the Itanagar Buddhist Cultural Society (IBCS) was celebrated with a lot of enthusiasm and traditional zeal.
- For the Buddhist community, the festival is termed as the ‘New Year’ according to their Buddhist calendar.
RK Singh launches National E-Mobility Programme
- Shri R K Singh, Union Minister of State (IC) Power and New & Renewable Energy, launched the National E-Mobility Programme.
- The Programme aims to provide an impetus to the entire e-mobility ecosystem including vehicle manufacturers, charging infrastructure companies, fleet operators, service providers, etc.
- The Programme will be implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) which will aggregate demand by procuring electric vehicles in bulk to get economies of scale.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOBILE APP AND PORTAL
Udyam Sakhi Portal Launched For Women Entrepreneurs:
- On the occasion of International Women’s Day the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) launched a portal for women entrepreneurs of India: www.udyamsakhi.org.
- The portal was unveiled by the Minister of State (I/C) of MSME, Giriraj Singh, in a program in New Delhi.
- The portal is a network for nurturing entrepreneurship and creating business models for low cost products and services in order to empower women and make them self-reliant and self-sufficient.
SIDBI, CSC Partner To Offer MSME Credit Portal Udyamimitra:
- The Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) signed an MoU with CSC e-governance Services (CSCeGS) to take Udyami Mitra portal to the unserved and the underserved MSMEs.
- Udyamimitra is a portal to improve the accessibility of credit for the MSMEs. It allows entrepreneurs to apply for a loan without physically visiting bank branches.
- CSCeGS is a special purpose vehicle (SPV) set up by the ministry of electronics and IT ( MeitY) which acts as connect point for various digitally aligned services to villages in the country. The MoU is aimed to facilitate financial support to the upcoming CSCs through bank financing.
/ 5. Reviews