Current Affairs Today – 8th November 2017 | Daily Current Affairs
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Himachal Pradesh to use EVMs with VVPAT machines on all booths during assembly elections
- Himachal Pradesh will be the first state to use EVMs with VVPAT machines on all booths during assembly elections. The state will go to polls tomorrow in a single phase. Elaborate arrangements have been made for smooth conduct of polls.
- Additional police force has been deployed at vulnerable and critical polling stations. Except Jhanduta constituency in Bilaspur district, all other constituencies are likely to witness multi cornered contests.
|Governor||Acharya Dev Vrat|
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Apollo Munich Health Insurance conferred with the 21st Asia Insurance Industry Awards in the “General Insurance Company of the Year” category
- Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company, a joint venture between integrated healthcare provider, Apollo Hospitals Group, and the Munich Re Group was conferred with the 21st Asia Insurance Industry Awards in the “General Insurance Company of the Year” category.
- The award recognizes Apollo Munich’s contribution in demonstrating market leadership during the qualifying period via innovation in products, services, practices, responsiveness to end-users and intermediaries. It is the first standalone health insurer in Asia-Pacific region to win General Insurance Company of the Year at AIIA.
|CEO of Apollo Munich Health Insurance||Antony Jacob|
Piyush Goyal has launched ‘Grahak Sadak Koyla Vitaran App’ benefitting customers of Coal India Limited (CIL)
- Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Railways & Coal has launched ‘Grahak Sadak Koyla Vitaran App’ benefitting customers of Coal India Limited (CIL) lifting coal through road mode.
- The customer friendly app, launched recently in Kolkata on CIL’s Foundation Day, helps achieve transparency in despatch operations, as a tool to monitor, whether the despatches are made on the fair principle of ‘First in First Out’.
|Union Minister of Railways & Coal||Piyush Goyal|
|Constituency||Maharashtra, Rajya Sabha|
WCD launches She-BOX for online complaints of sexual harassment:
- The Ministry for Women and Child Development launched a comprehensive online complaint management system named SHE-BOX for women working in both public and private organizations to lodge complaints of sexual harassment at work place.
- The app was launched to ensure effective implementation of Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013.
|Union Minister for Women and Child Development||Maneka Sanjay Gandhi|
|Constituency||Pilibhit, Uttar Pradesh (LokSabha)|
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
Jaipur , Varanasi and Chennai Included in UNESCO’s Creative Cities Network For Contribution in Music
- Totally 64 cities from 44 countries have been designated as UNESCO Creative Cities by Director-General, Irina Bokova. Chennai is the third Indian city on the list of UNESCO Creative Cities list after Jaipur and Varanasi.
- After this, the UNESCO Creative Cities Network now counts a total of 180 cities in 72 countries. Few famous cities included in the list are- Auckland (New Zealand), Cairo (Egypt), Cape Town (South Africa), Istanbul (Turkey), Yamagata City (Japan).
|UNESCO||United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization|
|Headquarters of UNESCO||Paris, France|
Guinea Becomes New Member Of International Solar Alliance
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj held a meeting with Guinea’s Foreign Minister, Mamady Toure, during the course of which the latter handed over his country’s instrument accession to the India-initiated International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- According to a statement issued by the External Affairs Ministry, Sushma Swaraj and Toure exchanged views on a broad range of subjects covering bilateral friendship and cooperation.
Current Affairs Today: BANKING & ECONOMY
Digital payment platform Paytm introduced payments using BHIM UPI on its platform
- Digital payment platform Paytm introduced payments using BHIM UPI on its platform, using which users can create their own Paytm BHIM UPI ID on the app, which will be issued by Paytm Payments Bank.
- With Paytm BHIM UPI, users can now make seamless and instant money transfers directly between two bank accounts, with no waiting time to add beneficiary. They will also not have to share their bank account details and IFSC code with anyone to receive money.
|Paytm CEO||Vijay Shekhar Sharma|
PayPal launches domestic operations in India:
- Digital payments company PayPal has launched its domestic operations in India.
- The inception of domestic operations by PayPal coincides with exact date of one year of demonetization in India.
|CEO of PayPal||Daniel Schulman|
Current Affairs Today: AGREEMENT
India Signs Loan Agreement for “OHEPEE” Project with World Bank for US $119 Million
- A Financing Agreement for IBRD loan of US$ 119 million (equivalent) for the “Odisha Higher Education Programme for Excellence & Equity (OHEPEE) Project” was signed with the World Bank.
- The Objective of the project is to improve the quality of ‘students’ equitable access to selected institutions and enhance governance of the higher education system in Odisha. The closing date for the project is 30th November, 2022.
|IBRD||International Bank for Reconstruction and Development|
|Headquarters of World Bank||Washington D.C, USA|
|President of World Bank||Jim Yong Kim|
|Governor||S C Jamir|
Kerala government inked an MoU with Intel and UST Global
- The Kerala government inked an MoU with Intel and UST Global for exploring the possibility of transforming the state into an electronic hardware manufacturing hub. The MoU was signed by the state IT department, Intel and UST Global in the presence of Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- Kerala government was committed to make the state an electronic hardware manufacturing hub. To achieve this goal, government had taken the initial steps by setting up the Kerala Electronics and Hardware Mission.
Microsoft & Ola is building a new connected vehicle platform for car manufacturers
- Microsoft, Ola is building a new connected vehicle platform for car manufacturers worldwide. As part of the partnership, Ola announced that Microsoft will be its preferred cloud provider.
- At the heart of the partnership is Ola Play, that will leverage Microsoft Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Internet of Things (IoT). It will also provide auto manufacturers with custom digital experiences for their customers.
|Co-founder and CEO of Ola||Bhavish Aggarwal|
|Headquarters of Microsoft||Redmond, Washington, United States|
|Microsoft CEO||Satya Nadella|
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENT
Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia has been designated as the new Finance Secretary
- Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia has been designated as the new Finance Secretary. Adhia is a 1981 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre. The vacancy was caused following the superannuation of Ashok Lavasa in October 2017.
- As per the convention, the senior most Secretary in the Finance Ministry is designated as the Finance Secretary.
- There are five departments under the Finance Ministry- Expenditure, Economic Affairs, Financial Services, Revenue and Department of Investment and Public Asset management (DIPAM).
|New Finance Secretary||Hasmukh Adhia|
|Preceded by||Ashok Lavasa|
Current Affairs Today: DEFENCE
Long-Range Cruise Missile ‘Nirbhay’ Test-Fired
- India conducted a flight test of its indigenously designed and developed long-range sub-sonic cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’. It can carry warheads of up to 300 kg from a test range at Chandipur along the Odisha coast.
- This was the fifth experimental test of the homegrown missile system. The test fire was carried out by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
|DRDO||Defence Research and Development Organisation|
|Headquarters of DRDO||New Delhi|
|Present Chairman of DRDO||S. Christopher|
|Union Defence Minister||Nirmala Sitharaman|
|Constituency||Karnataka, Rajya Sabha|
Current Affairs Today: AWARD
Indian short film ‘The School Bag’ has won the ‘Best Short Film Award’ at the South Asian Film Festival of Montreal (SAFFM)
- Indian short film ‘The School Bag’ has won the ‘Best Short Film Award’ at the South Asian Film Festival of Montreal (SAFFM).
- It tells a story based in Pakistan. The movie is directed by Dheeraj Jindal. Actress Rasika Dugal plays the mother in the short film.
Current Affairs Today: SPORT
Indian Boxer Mary Kom wins Gold at Asian Women’s Boxing Championships in Vietnam
- M.C. Mary Kom (48kg) notched up her fifth gold medal at the Asian Women’s Boxing Championships in Vietnam. She has defeated North Korea’s Kim Hyang Mi. This is Mary Kom’s first international gold medal since the 2014 Asian Games.
- Mary Kom’s last medal came in the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, where she became the first Indian woman boxer to win gold in the Women’s Flyweight (51 kg) category.
India clinched the T20 series against New Zealand:
- India beat New Zealand by six runs in 3rd and final T20 held at Greenfield International Stadium, Thiruvananthapuram with reduced 8 over match. India has clinched the series 2-1.
- The venue Greenfield International Stadium, Thiruvananthapuram hosted its first ever international match.
- Man of the Series: JaspritBumrah (IND)