Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates, those who are preparing for IBPS/RBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORATANT DAYS
International Literacy Day 2018
- International Literacy Day is celebrated annually on September 8 across the world. The day was declared by UNESCO on October 26, 1966.
|Theme||“Literacy and skill development.”|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Lucknow’s Hazratganj Chauraha to be renamed after Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Lucknow’s famous ‘Hazratganj Chauraha’will be renamed after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee as ‘Atal Chowk’.
Sharing details of the decision, city Mayor Sanyukta Bhatia told that they will also build a memorial named “Atal Smriti Upvan” for the late veteran leader, who was a five-time Member of Parliament (MP) from Lucknow
|Uttar Pradesh Capital||Lucknow|
Assam govt makes Asian Games medalist Hima Das as Sports Ambassador of state
- Assam government has made Asian Games medalist Hima Das as the Sports Ambassador of the state. Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal announced to develop 500 village stadiums in the state.
1.80.37 Crores worth developmental projects sanctioned by Tourism Ministry under Swadesh Darshan in Kerala
- The project focuses on the development of water-based thematic cruise experiences in and around Valapattanam and Kuppam Rivers of Kannur District. It consists of three thematic cruises : Malabari Cuisine and Culinary Cruise in Valapattanam River(40 km), Theyyam Cruise in Valapattanam River (16 km), Mangrove Cruise in Kuppam River(16 km).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI slaps Rs 1 cr penalty each on three public sector banks
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of Rs 1 crore each on three public sector banks for non-compliance with its directions on “Fraud – Classification and Reporting”. According to the RBI, the penalty was imposed individually on all the three banks — Bank of Maharashtra, Bank of India, Union Bank of India — on August 30, 2018.
Axis CEO & MD Shikha Sharma’s tenure to end in December; Amitabh Chaudhry to take over
- Lending major Axis Bank`slong serving Chief Executive and Managing Director Shikha Sharma’s reign will come to an end on December 31, 2018 and she will be succeeded by Amitabh Chaudhry.
- The bank announced that the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the appointment of Chaudhry for a period of 3 years, with effect from January 1, 2019 up to December 31, 2021.
The incoming Chief Executive and Managing Director of the lending major, Chaudhry, is the Managing Director and CEO of HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Lockheed Martin, Tata JV collaborate to make F-16 jet wings in India by TASL
- It entered into an agreement with Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL) for the production of the wings. About Tata JV Tata Global Beverages Limited (formerly Tata Tea Limited) is an Indian multinational non-alcoholic beverages company headquartered in Kolkata, West Bengal, India and a subsidiary of the Tata Group.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Alibaba co-founder Jack Ma to retire for philanthropy
Chinese billionaire, co-founder of Alibaba Jack Ma is planning to step down from his role to pursue philanthropy in education. He will retire from his role when he turns 54. The date, September 10, is commemorated as Teacher’s Day in China. Ma will remain on Alibaba’s board of directors and continue to mentor the management.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: COMMITTEE
Former RBI Governor Bimal Jalan to head panel to select new CEA
- The Union Government has appointed former Reserve Bank of India governor Bimal Jalanas the head of the panel that has been tasked with selecting India’s next chief economic advisor (CEA).
- The other members of the panel include secretary of the department of personnel and training C Chandramouli and economic affairs secretary Subhash Chandra Garg. The panel will screen the applications received and conduct interviews. The move comes two months after the government sought applications for the post after previous CEA Arvind Subramanian resigned from office.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
Bengaluru to host Aero India in February 2019: Defence Ministry
- The next edition of Aero India will be held in Bengaluru from February 20 to 24, 2019, Defence Ministry announced. Yelahanka Air Force station in Bengaluru has hosted all the 11 editions of Aero India so far and has emerged as a premier air show in Asia.
World Summit on Accreditation underway in New Delhi
- The World Summit on Accreditation pertaining to educational institutes got underway in New Delhi on 8th September. The three-day Summit will focus on challenges and opportunities in outcome-based accreditation.The theme this year is – Challenges and Opportunities in Outcome-Based Accreditation.
3-day World Hindu Congress Begins In Chicago
- The three-day World Hindu Congress has begun in Chicago. Over 2000 delegates from across the globe are participating in this mega event. The theme of World Hindu Congress is ‘Think collectively, Achieve valiantly’.
India Pavilion at Food and Drink Technology Africa Trade Show in South Africa launched by TPCI
- Trade Promotion Council of India (TPCI) with the support of Ministry of Commerce and Industry and delegation of 42 Indian businessmen related to food and beverages industry took part in it. This provided a platform for them to explore export opportunities, joint ventures, technology transfers and marketing tie-ups with other nations including South Africa. Further, TPCI will be participating in similar events in Turkey, Mexico, Saudi Arabia and Spain in the coming months.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
Punjab, J&K ink pact on restarting Shahpur Kandi project
- Border states Punjab & Jammu and Kashmir signed an agreement to re-start work on the Rs 2,793-crore Shahpur Kandi project. The project, when implemented, will enable the country to fully utilize the Ravi water as per the Indus Water Treaty with Pakistan. It will not only deliver power and irrigation benefits to the nation worth Rs 850 crore annually but will also prevent Ravi water going waste to Pakistan.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Nepal not to join BIMSTEC military drill in India
- Nepal will not join the first-ever joint military drill among the armies of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) members, to be hosted by India next week. The decision was made by the Nepali government amid growing criticism from multiple quarters over the country’s participation in the first ever military drill among the armies of BIMSTEC members.
France to collaborate on India’s first human space mission ‘Gaganyaan’
- India and France inked an agreement to collaborate on Gaganyaan, ISRO’s first human space mission. ISRO and CNES, the French space agency, will be combining their expertise in fields of space medicine, astronaut health monitoring, life support, radiation protection, space debris protection and personal hygiene systems. The two space agencies also plan to work on Mars, Venus and asteroids. India plans to send three humans to space before 2022.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Shooting Worlds: Ankur Mittal wins double trap gold
- Ankur Mittal claimed the men’s double trap gold medal in the ISSF World Championship for his career’s biggest triumph, as the Indian shooting team continued its dominance in the premier tournament.
Luka Modric Wins ‘UEFA Men’s Player of The Year Award’
- Croatian midfielder Luka Modric has revealed that he received a congratulatory message from Portuguese striker Cristiano Ronaldo after the former was named UEFA Player of the Year. He rose to heights after his sensational performance in the 2018 FIFA World Cup in which he was awarded the Golden Ball at the tournament for his outstanding performance.