Current Affairs Today 9th February 2018
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Prime Minister Narendra Modi leaves on four-day visit to Palestine, UAE and Oman:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi left on a four day three nation tour to Palestine, UAE and Oman.
- This is the first ever visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Palestine and Oman and second visit to UAE.
- In Palestine, he will hold delegation-level talks with the Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas after which a number of MoUs are expected to be signed. It will be followed by a joint press conference.
- In Abu Dhabi, he will be hosted by the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohammad bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- He is travelling to Oman for the first time. Oman is a very important strategic partner of India. After the community event which will take place in a big stadium in Muscat, Mr Modi will meet with Sultan Qaboos and there will be a special dinner hosted by Sultan Qaboos in honor of the Prime Minister.
||Israeli new Shekel, Egyptian Pound, Jordanian Dinar
||United Arab Emirates dirham
||Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
||Qaboos bin Said al Said
Government redefines MSMEs based on annual revenue:
- The Cabinet approved a proposal to redefine micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs), based on their annual turnover.
- The move, which replaces earlier classification based on investment in plant and machinery, is expected to improve ease of doing business.
- Notably, the government announced a cut in the tax rate for MSMEs from 30% to 25% in the Budget.
Kerala tops Health Index, Uttar Pradesh worst performer:
- Kerala has topped the Health Index report prepared by NITI Aayog while Uttar Pradesh appeared at the bottom among larger states, though it has shown improvement in the recent past.
- As per the index report for large states, Kerala was followed by Punjab, Tamil Nadu and Gujarat.
- Besides Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar and Odisha are among the states that performed poorly in the health index.
- According to the index, among large states, Jharkhand, Jammu & Kashmir and Uttar Pradesh are the top three ranking states in terms of annual incremental performance.
- Among small states, Mizoram ranked first, followed by Manipur and Goa.
|NITI Aayog Chairperson
|NITI Aayog Vice chairperson
|NITI Aayog CEO
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
Former Bangladesh Prime Minister Khaleda Zia gets 5 years jail in corruption case:
- Bangladesh’s ex-premier and opposition BNP chief Khaleda Zia was sentenced to five years in jail in a corruption case.
- Zia, 72, was sentenced by the Special Court-5 in Dhaka in connection with embezzlement of 21 million takas ($252,000) in foreign donations meant for the Zia Orphanage Trust.
- In the same case, her son Tarique Rahman and four others have been sentenced to 10 years in jail.
|Bangladesh Prime Minister
Saudi Arabia temporarily bans poultry imports from India over bird flu:
- Saudi Arabia has temporarily banned imports of live birds, hatching eggs and chicks from India after a form of bird flu that is highly lethal for poultry was found in the south Asian country.
- In January, the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) said, citing a report from the Indian agriculture ministry, that India had reported an outbreak of a highly contagious bird flu virus near Bengaluru in the southern state of Karnataka.
|Saudi Arabia Capital
|Saudi Arabia Currency
|Saudi Arabia King
||Ali Salman Ahmed Salman
US government shuts down for 2nd time in three weeks:
- The US government shut down for the second time in three weeks after a vote on government funding bill was delayed in the Senate beyond the midnight deadline.
- The vote was delayed by Senator Rand Paul who said that the deal would result in a significant increase in the federal budget deficit without any corresponding cuts to spending.
||United States Dollar
Egypt Army launches major operation in Nile Delta, Sinai Peninsula:
- The Egyptian army announced the launch of a major operation in the Nile Delta and the northern Sinai Peninsula, heart of a persistent Islamic State group insurgency.
- Police and troops have been put on “maximum alert” for the duration of Operation Sinai 2018.
- The goal is to tighten control of border districts and clean up areas where there are terrorist hotbeds.
- Most of the violence has been in North Sinai province, but there have also been attacks on the military, police and even churches elsewhere, including Cairo.
||Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
Moody’s raises IOB, Central Bank of India outlook to positive
- Moody’s Investors Service has changed the outlook of Central Bank of India and Indian Overseas Bank (IoB) to positive from stable.
- The positive outlook reflects the possible upward pressure on these banks’ long-term ratings if their capital positions continue to improve over the next 12-18 months due to fund infusion by the government.
- The positive outlook also reflects Moody’s view on the expected evolution of their balance sheets, including a stabilisation in asset quality, moderate improvement in profitability metrics, and stable funding and liquidity positions.
|Indian Overseas Bank Headquarters
|Indian Overseas Bank Tagline
||Good people to grow with
|Indian Overseas Bank MD and CEO
|Central Bank of India Headquarters
|Central Bank of India Tagline
||Central to you Since 1911
|Central Bank of India MD and CEO
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
Abhilasha Kumari sworn-in as Chief Justice of Manipur High Court:
- Justice Abhilasha Kumari was sworn-in as new Chief Justice of the High Court of Manipur.
- Governor Dr. Najma Heptulla administered her the oath of office at Raj Bhavan in Imphal.
- Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren Singh, former Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh, Ministers, MLAs and Judges attended the swearing-in ceremony.
- Justice Abhilasha was a judge of the Gujarat High Court.
Justice Antony Dominic sworn in as Chief Justice of Kerala:
- Justice Antony Dominic was sworn in as the Chief Justice of Kerala.
- Kerala Governor P. Sadasivam administered the Oath of Office in the presence of Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan at Raj Bhavan in Thiruvanthapuram.
- Chief Secretary Paul Antony read out the Presidential order appointing Justice Dominic as the Chief Justice of the state.
- Senior High Court judges, judicial officers, cabinet ministers, political leaders and other officials filled the audience.
Current Affairs Today: SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY
Human eggs developed in laboratory for the first time:
- UK and US-based scientists have successfully developed human eggs outside the human body from their earliest stages to maturity, where they could be fertilised.
- Earlier, researchers achieved the same in mice while completing only different stages for human eggs.
- By nurturing ovarian tissue in culture, nine eggs reached maturity of the 48 that reached the penultimate step.
WhatsApp Payments feature based on UPI spotted on Android, iOS beta:
- WhatsApp Payments with UPI support has been spotted on Android and iOS beta versions of the app.
- It also looks like the UPI-based payment feature has been rolled out to select WhatsApp users for now. We were unable to spot the feature on the beta version of WhatsApp on our Android phones.
- The option for UPI-based payments shows up in the attachments segment next to Documents, Gallery, Audio, Location, Contact, etc.
- A user needs to input their account details, UPI pin for authorising every transaction on the platform.
Google Chrome to mark all HTTP sites as ‘not secure’ from July:
- Google will mark all HTTP sites as “not secure”, Emily Schechter. The move is aimed at encouraging websites to adopt HTTPS encryption.
- The Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is the secure version of HTTP – the protocol over which data is sent between the user’s browser and the website that they are connected to.
- The “not secure” tag will start rolling out for Chrome, starting July 2018, which is when Chrome 68 makes a debut.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
PepsiCo CEO Nooyi becomes ICC’s 1st independent female director:
- PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi has been appointed as the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) first ever independent female director.
- Nooyi will join the cricket body in June 2018 for a 2-year term. The introduction of an Independent Director, who must be female, was approved by the ICC in June 2017, aimed at improving the global governance of the sport.
UN allows sanctioned North Korea official to attend Olympics:
- The UN Security Council has given permission for a North Korean official under international sanctions to travel to the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.
- The council’s sanctions committee has granted the exemption to Choe Choe Hwi, chairman of North Korea’s National Sports Guidance Committee on the request of South Korea.
- Choe was sanctioned in June last year as a senior director of the propaganda and agitation department of North Korea’s ruling Workers’ Party.
- The 23-member delegation will be led by North Korea’s ceremonial head of state Kim Yong Nam and will also include Kim Yo Jong, the younger sister of North Korea’s leader and a senior member of the Workers’ Party.
Khelo India School Games concludes; Haryana tops overall medal tally with 38 gold medals:
- The first Khelo India School Games concluded in New Delhi with sports powerhouse Haryana topped the overall medal tally.
- The state won 102 medals which include 38 gold and 26 silver. Maharashtra with 111 medals finished second while Delhi with 94 medals came third.
- Khelo India School Games was a part of the Khelo India programme which has been introduced by the Sports Ministry to revive the sports culture in the country at the grassroots level and make India a sporting nation.
- 16 sports disciplines including Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Hockey, Judo, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, Shooting, Weightlifting and Wrestling were the part of the week long event.
- It was organized at multiple venues across Delhi including Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium and Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium.
Guinness World Record attempted for playing Ice Hockey at highest altitude:
- To set a record in the Guinness book for ice hockey on the world’s highest altitude, an international level tournament was organised at Chibra Kargyam in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Five international teams from USA, Germany, Canada, Solvakia and Russia and a local team participated in the tournament.
- It was jointly organised by the Hockey Foundation , USA , Ladakh Winter Sports Club and Lalok Winter Sports Association.
- The event at this altitude was certified by the Geological Department government of India. To make the rink as per the international standards, it was prepared by international experts with professional side boards imported from Austria.
- The mega event of this ice hockey held in Ladakh have submitted for analysis to Guinness World Record to certify it as the world’s highest altitude ice hockey tournament.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Former minister Anil Patel dies:
- Former Minister in the then Narendra Modi government and founder of Ganpat University, Anil Tribhovandas Patel passed away. He was 73.
- Patel was born at Lanva in Patan district in 1944. Very active in public life, he was chairman of Mehsana Urban Co-operative Bank and head of Umiya Sansthan, Unjha.
- He was also chairman and managing director of Apollo Group of Industries.
John Perry Barlow, Internet pioneer and songwriter passes away:
- A founder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and a former lyricist for the Grateful Dead John Perry Barlow has died.
- Barlow was known for his belief in cyber liberties and co-founded the EFF in 1990 to champion free expression and privacy online.