Current Affairs Today 9th March 2018
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Centre launches biodegradable sanitary napkins costing Rs 2.5
- Union Minister Ananth Kumar launched 100% biodegradable sanitary napkins ‘Suvidha’, costing Rs.2.50 per pad, on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- The napkins will be available at Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana stores from May 28. Kumar said that the sanitary napkins will help women improve their personal hygiene without harming the nature.
Girls’ marriage age should be 21 in case of without parents concern:
- BJP MP Gopal Shetty has proposed a private member bill in the Lok Sabha demanding that the age bar for girls’ marriage be extended to 21 from 18, if the marriage doesn’t have parents’ consent.
- Adding that by 21, girls attain maturity, Shetty said the age bar for girls could be 18 if the marriage has the consent of parents.
PM Launches National Nutrition Mission And Pan India Expansion Of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
- On the occasion of International Women’s Day, PM Narendra Modi launched the National Nutrition Mission (NNM) and Pan India Expansion of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) covering all 640 districts of the Country at a mega event held at Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan.
- NNM has been set up with a three year budget of Rs.9046.17 crore commencing from 2017-18. The NNM is a comprehensive approach towards raising nutrition level in the country on a war footing.
- The Prime Minister also awarded ten districts for showing outstanding performance in the areas of effective community engagement, enforcement of PC&PNDT Act and enabling the education of the girl child.
CURRENT AFFAIRS INTERNATIONAL:
UK College to teach Hinglish to students for jobs in India
- UK’s Portsmouth College has offered to teach its students ‘Hinglish’, a mix of Hindi and English languages, becoming the country’s first educational institution to do so.
- The course is being introduced partly due to India’s growing economic importance and to prepare British students who may take up jobs in India or in Indian companies based in the UK.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Gurugram’s first cyber crime police station inaugurated
- Gurugram Metropolitan Development Authority on Wednesday inaugurated the district’s first cyber crime police station where cyber crime victims can lodge complaints.
- The station will have 35 trained personnel and equipment for forensics and call detail analysis to investigate the crimes, police said. It will act as a centralised monitoring system for all types of online and tech-related crimes.
|CM||Manohar Lal Khattar|
|Governor||Kaptan Singh Solank|
Delhi Metro withdraws from Kerala project due to govt delay:
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has said it was forced to withdraw from Kerala’s Metro project in Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode after the state government failed to sign the project agreement that was submitted 15 months ago.
- Stating that it had started preparatory work in 2016, the DMRC said it could not start working since the agreement was not signed.
Delhi Police launches all-women patrolling squad:
- The South Delhi Police launched an all-women patrolling squad to ensure safety of women at public places on the eve of International Women’s Day.
- Named ‘Knightingales’, the squad has 16 members aged 20-35 years in the ranks of constables and inspectors.
- The squad has been given training in unarmed combat, weapon handling, and driving, officials said.
|Delhi Capital||New Delhi|
Mumbai is now the 16th Most Expensive City in the World
- According to the Knight Frank Wealth Report 2018, Mumbai ranks 16th among the top 20 costliest cities in the world. Delhi, Chennai and Bengaluru feature among the top 100 cities in the list.
- Guangzhou, a city in China, tops the list with property prices appreciating by 27.4% in the last one year.
|Governor||Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao|
Mumbai gets 47th spot on global city wealth index says report:
- An independent global property consultancy, in a city wealth index report, ranked India’s financial capital Mumbai at 47th spot out of 314 cities across the globe.
- As per the Knight Frank’s Wealth Report 2018, the ‘city wealth index’ takes into consideration four major indicators for ranking – Wealth, investments, lifestyle and future.
- In terms of the top 20 costliest global cities, where $1 million can buy only 92 square metres of area, Mumbai has been ranked at 16th position.
Diu Becomes First UT To Be 100% Powered By Solar Energy
- Diu has become the first Union Territory in India to run 100 percent on solar power generated energy.
- Diu has managed to generate surplus solar power for its residents, reducing their electricity costs, in a span of just three years.
- Diu, which is one of the least populated territories in India, marking an area of 42 square kilo metres, has witnessed the installation of solar power plants in over more than 50 acres of its land. Of this, about 3 megawatts is generated by the rooftop solar plants, while the other 10 megawatts is produced by other solar power plants.
|Daman and Diu Capital||Daman|
|Governor||Praful Khoda Patel|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
TCS ranked as the fastest growing IT services brand in 2018:
- Leading global IT services organisation, Tata Consultancy Services was named as the fastest growing IT services brand in the world in an assessment done by leading brand valuation firm, Brand Finance.
- According to Brand Finance IT Services 15 annual report for 2018, TCS now has a total brand value of USD 10.391 billion; a growth of 14.4 percent from last year.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India ranks 52 in Mastercard women entrepreneurs index:
- India ranked 52 among 57 countries studied for the Mastercard Index of Women Entrepreneurs (MIWE), showed the findings of its second edition.
- The latest ranking for India remains unchanged from the previous year.
- The MIWE focuses on female entrepreneurs’ ability to capitalise on opportunities granted through various supporting conditions within their local environments.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAMS
PM launches National Nutrition Mission:
- On the occasion of International Women’s Day, the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, launched the National Nutrition Mission, and expansion of the coverage of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao programme, at Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan.
- He also interacted with beneficiary mothers and girl children of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao programme.
- The Prime Minister awarded certificates to the best performing districts under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao programme.
Government announces launch of ‘SUVIDHA’:
- Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs, Shri Ananth kumar announced the launch of ‘Suvidha’, the 100% Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Napkin, under the Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
- The affordable sanitary napkin will be available for Rs. 2.50 per pad at over 3200 Janaushadhi Kendras across India and would ensure ‘Swachhta, Swasthya and Suvidha’ for the underprivileged Women of India.
- This step taken by the Department of Pharmaceuticals will ensure the achievement of Prime Minster Shri Narendra Modi’s vision of Affordable and Quality Healthcare for All.
MP announces ‘Mukhyamantri Mahila Kosh’ scheme pension for single women aged over 50 years
On the International Women’s Day on Thursday, Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced the ‘Mukhyamantri Mahila Kosh’ scheme aimed at providing pension to unmarried women aged over 50 years. Women shouldn’t be celebrated only on a designated day, Chouhan said. Earlier this week, Chouhan announced Rs.4, 000 monthly assistance to pregnant laborers from the sixth month of pregnancy.
|Madhya Pradesh Capital||Bhopal|
|CM||Shivraj Singh Chouhan|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Event named Vision for Future commemorate 70 yrs of Indo Russia ties:
- An event named ‘Vision for Future’ was inaugurated at the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi to commemorate 70 years of the Indo-Russia ties.
- This Program was organised by the Ministry of External Affairs (Eurasia Division) and the International Federation of Indo-Russian Youth Clubs.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
ISSF World Cup 2018- Anjum Moudgil Wins Silver:
- Indian shooter Anjum Moudgil clinched a silver medal in the women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions event at the ongoing ISSF World Cup in Guadalajara, Mexico. It was Anjum’s first World Cup medal. Former junior world champion China’s Ruijiao Pei won the Gold Medal in that event.
- This was India’s eighth medal in the competition and the first silver. India thus remained on top of the medals tally with eight medals, while China is in second with two gold, two silver, one bronze.
/ 5. Reviews