Current Affairs 27th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: IMPORTANT DAY
International Holocaust Remembrance Day:
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day is an international memorial day on 27 January commemorating the tragedy of the Holocaust that occurred during the Second World War.
- It commemorates the genocide that resulted in the death of an estimated 6 million Jewish people, 200,000 Romani people, 250,000 mentally and physically disabled people, and 9,000 homosexual men by the Nazi regime and its collaborators.
- It was designated by the United Nations General Assembly resolution 60/7 on 1 November 2005 during the 42nd plenary session.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
India to host informal WTO Ministerial gathering in March:
- Trade ministers from various countries including Australia, Japan and Switzerland met today for an informal WTO ministerial gathering in Davos to discuss the way forward for the global trade organisation, with India offering to host another such meeting in March.
- The meeting, also attended by the US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, was held on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum (WEF) annual summit.
- India was represented by Deepak Jagdish Saksena, ambassador and permanent representative to the WTO.
- India announced that it will host an informal WTO Ministerial gathering in March. The meeting would be held in New Delhi on March 19-20.
India, Cambodia ink four pacts to strengthen bilateral ties:
- India and Cambodia signed four agreements, including one to improve cooperation in prevention, investigation of crimes and legal assistance in criminal matters, besides a line of credit from India to fund Cambodia’s Stung Sva Hab water resources development project for USD 36.92 million.
- The pacts were signed after comprehensive talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Cambodian counterpart Samdech Hun Sen, who agreed to further enhance bilateral defence ties, including through exchanges of senior-level defence personnel and capacity-building projects.
- India and Cambodia also signed an MoU on the prevention of human trafficking under which the two countries will see increase bilateral cooperation on the issues of prevention rescue and repatriation related to human trafficking.
- They also inked a pact for cultural exchanges through 2018-2020. The agreement seeks to promote cultural exchange and strengthen the friendly relations between the two nations.
|Cambodia Prime Minister
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
China proposes building a road across the Arctic:
- China unveiled plans to build a ‘Polar Silk Road’ across the Arctic as part of its Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- It would build the ‘Polar Silk Road’ by developing shipping routes in the region.
- This comes after China invited Latin American and Caribbean nations to join the BRI.
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Kerala Literature Festival from February 8:
- The third edition of Kerala Literature Festival (KLF) will get under way in Kozhikode on February 8.
- The KLF has emerged as the second biggest after the Jaipur Literature Festival, and is being organised by the DC Kizhakemuri Foundation.
- More than 450 writers and thinkers from India and from countries including Austria, Germany, Latvia, Russia, Spain, France, Sri Lanka, and Ireland will participate in over 250 brainstorming sessions spread over four days in five venues.
- The central theme will be ‘dissent’. ‘No Democracy without Dissent’ will be theme of the third edition of the KLF,”.
|Kerala Chief Minister
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
Government allows Small Finance Banks & Payments Banks to offer Atal Pension Yojana:
- Government has allowed Small Finance Banks and Payments Banks to offer Atal Pension Yojana (APY).
- 10 Small Finance Banks and 11 Payment Banks have got license from Reserve Bank of India to start banking operations in the country.
- The Banks include Ujjivan Small Finance Bank, Janalakshmi Small Finance Bank, Suryoday Small Finance Bank, India Post Payment Bank and Paytm Payment Bank.
- Given the strength, expertise and reach of these new age banks, they can play a pivotal role in outreach of subscribers under APY.
- The government had launched this social security scheme- APY in 2015 and dedicated the first ever Guaranteed Pension Product to the people of the country.
- The scheme is available to the people in the age group of 18 to 40 years. Under the scheme, a subscriber would receive a minimum guaranteed pension of 1,000 to 5,000 rupees per month from the age of 60 years depending upon the contribution.
GST on houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna reduced to 8%:
- The government has cut GST rate from 12% to 8% on houses purchased using the credit-linked subsidy scheme (CLSS) under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna.
- However, people who are not eligible for CLSS will continue to pay GST at 12%.
- The tax benefit will also be extended to an affordable housing project, which has been given infrastructure status.
Paytm to invest ₹500 crore to create digital awareness:
- Mobile wallet Paytm platform would invest ₹500 crore in 2018 to conduct merchant training and awareness initiatives to scale up its operations across the country.
- Paytm is hoping to cover one crore merchants across the country in the next 3-6 months from the existing 60 lakh merchant partners for the Quick Response (QR) code-based payments
||Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
AP Hota on Federal Bank board:
- Federal Bank stated that Abhaya Prasad Hota has joined its board as an independent director.
- Hota, who served in the Reserve Bank of India from 1982 to 2009, was the first MD and CEO of National Payments Corporation of India from 2009 to 2017.
- He also served as RBI Nominee Director on the boards of Vijaya Bank and Andhra Bank in the past.
- Hota is also Director on the boards of IDBI Intech, Motilal Oswal Asset Management Company and Transaction Analyst Pvt Ltd.
|Federal Bank Headquarters
||Aluva, Kochi, Kerala
|Federal Bank Tagline
||Your Perfect Banking Partner
|Federal Bank CEO
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Delhi wins maiden Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy:
- Delhi beat Rajasthan by 41 runs at the Eden Gardens to clinch their maiden Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.
- Unmukt Chand hit a half-century to help Delhi set up a 154-run target for Rajasthan, who were later dismissed for 112 with three Delhi bowlers picking two wickets each.
- Delhi pacer Pradeep Sangwan was named Man of the Match.
Caroline Wozniacki beats Simona Halep to win Australian Open:
- A determined Caroline Wozniacki held firm to shake off a tenacious challenge from Simona Halep, edging a classic Australian Open final 7-6(2) 3-6 6-4 to claim her first grand slam title.
- The result ensured Wozniacki swiped Halep’s world number one ranking, six years after losing it at the 2012 Australian Open.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Congress leader and ex-minister Puran Bedia passes away:
- Senior Congress leader and former Madhya Pradesh minister Puran Singh Bedia passed away in Gurugram. He was 74.
- The Congress leader, a three-time MLA, was elected from the Kolaras assembly seat in Shivpuri district three times – in 1980, 1985 and 1998.
- The schoolteacher-turned-politician served as the education minister in the Cabinet in 1980s.