Daily Current Affairs Updates– 12thJanuary 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· National Youth Day was observed across India on 12 January 2016 to mark the153rd birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda who was India’s foremost social reformer, philosopher and thinker.
· The day is celebrated annually since 12 January 1985 in recognition of his ideals and teachings and to project him as a role model for the Indian youth.
RBI IN NEWS:
2).Import cover increases to 9.8 months: RBI:
· The country’s foreign exchange reserves, which were $350.4 billion as on September 2015, were able to support imports for 9.8 months, up from 8.9 months as on end March, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said in its Half Yearly Report on Management of Foreign Exchange Reserves.
· As on end March, 2015, foreign exchanges reserves were at $341.64 billion. Import cover was 8.1 per cent in September 2014.
· Telangana has become the first State in the country to introduce compulsory gender education at the graduate level.
· In this regard, state government has introduced bilingual textbook titled ‘Towards a World of Equals’ on a pilot basis in engineering colleges.
· These engineering colleges are affiliated to the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU-Hyderabad).
4). Varanasi and Jaipur becomes members of UCCN:
· Two Indian cities for first time have been designated as members ofUNESCO’s Creative Cities Network (UCCN).
· Two cities are
o Varanasi City (Uttar Pradesh): It has been added in the City of Music category of network.
o Jaipur City (Rajasthan): It has been added in the City of Crafts and Folk Art category of network.
· It was announced byUNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova.
5). Government launches web-based rail track management:
· In a major step towards digitization, the Indian Railways launched a web-based system tomonitor track maintenance on a real-time basis by replacing more than a lakh registers related to it.
· The web-based management of track maintenance will be implemented in all the68 divisions of the Indian Railways.
· The system will givealerts through SMS and e-mails to the concerned officials in the Railways.
· Scientists at Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes (CIRB) in Hisar claimed to have successfully produced a cloned buffalo offspring ‘CirbGaurav’.
· CIRB Director DrInderjeet Singh said that the cloned buffalo calf is distinct from the earlier clones produced in India.
· The India’s first institute to produce a cloned calf is National Diary Reasearch Institute (NDRI).
· Illumina, the world’s largest DNA sequencing company, on announced the launch of the startup named GRAIL to develop blood-based cancer tests.
· The company was launched in association with Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezo’s venture fund Bezos Expeditions and Arch Venture Partners.
8). SEBI lowers MF exposure limits:
· The SEBI Board has decided to amend the mutual fund regulations so that single issuer limit is reduced to 10 per cent of the net asset value (NAV) of the scheme, which can be increased to 12 per cent of the NAV but only after an approval from the trustees.
· The sector-specific exposure limit has also been reduced from the current 30 per cent of the NAV to 25 per cent.
· Asia’s oldest stock exchange, Bombay Stock Exchange, will get its own postage stamp, telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad.
· BSE had recently become the world’s fastest stock exchange clocking a median trade speed of six micro seconds.
10). Bank of Baroda pays Rs 95 cr as interest on Basel-III bonds:
· Bank of Baroda said it has timely paid over Rs. 95 crore as interest to the beneficiaries of its additional tier-I Basel-III compliant bonds issue of Rs 1,000 crore.
· The payment was done through RTGS/NEFT to 75 beneficiaries, it added. Bank of Baroda stock closed at Rs 139.15 on BSE today, down 0.96 percent from the previous close.
· The ICC and MoneyGram International, a leading global provider of money transfer services, an eight-year deal which confirms MoneyGram as an event partner for ICC events from 2016-2023.
· A media release by ICC stated, “The ICC and MoneyGram recently completed a successful five-year partnership, which began with the ICC World Twenty20 West Indies 2010, concluding with the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015.
12). Anil Ambani’s Sasan Power to getRs.7,500-cr CERC bounty:
· Anil Ambani Group’s Reliance Power stands to gain an estimatedRs.7,500 crorefrom the electricity sold from its ultra-mega power project Sasan Power Ltd.
· This is due to a compensation cleared by the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) after the regulator approved a ‘change in law’ petition of Sasan Power, a wholly owned subsidiary of Reliance Power.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· The Nati folk dance of Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh in second week of January 2016 was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest folk dance in the world.
· Nati entered in the book as the largest folk dance in terms of participants’ number.
· Total 9892 women participated in this folk dance in their traditional colourfulKulluvi on 26 October 2015 during International Dussehra festival.
· Barcelona FC forward Lionel Messi from Argentina has won the 2016 FIFA Ballon d’Or Award.
· He has earned this title of world’s best football player for record fifth time. Earlier he was conferred with this award in 2010 (inaugural), 2011, 2012 and 2012.
15). Poet Balkrishna Garg conferred with 2015 Harikrishna Devsare Baalsahitya Award:
· Veteran poet Balkrishna Garg was honoured with the second edition of Harikrishna Devsare Baalsahitya Award 2015 for his collection ofpoems for children titled ‘Baal Geet’.
· He was conferred with the award by Sahitya Akademi President Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari and National Book Trust Chairman Baldeo Bhai Sharm.
· Apart from Mr. Garg, Yogendra Kumar and Hem Bhatnagar were also felicitated for their contributions to childrens literature.
16). Devender Kumar Sikri sworn in as the Chairman of Competition Commission of India:
· His oath to the office was administered byUnion Finance Minister Aurn Jaitley.
· Devender Kumar Sikri succeededAshok Chawla, who demitted office on 7 January 2016.
· E-commerce major Flipkart’s big bang management reshuffle, which saw co-founder and CEO SachinBansal relinquishing his role to install another co-founder and COO, BinnyBansal, in his place, appears intended to keep the house together.
· The country’s largest e-commerce company is currently valued at $15 billion and has so far raised $3.15 billion in 12 rounds from 16 investors.
18). AshishSaraf appointed as Vice President of Airbus Group’s:
· Saraf will look over the Group’s existing Make in India initiatives and conceive new ones for all the businesses of Airbus Group India with the aim to increase their industrial footprint in the country.
· Border Security Force (BSF) has launched ‘Operation Cold’ along the international border in Rajasthan covering Sriganganagar, Bikaner, Barmer and Jaisalmer that will continue till January 30.
· The Operation Cold was launched to contain any infiltration or intrusion from Pakistan in fog and cold wave weather conditions in the western desert.
20). Defence Procurement Procedure was changed: DAC
· The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Union Defence MinisterManoharParrikarhas approved major changes in thenew Defence Procurement Procedure (DDP) 2016.
· These changes were made in DPP 2016 tostreamline defence acquisitionsand give a big impetus to indigenisation of Defence sector through the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
· Some of the changes were based on recommendations of the expert committee headed by former Home Secretary Dhirendra Singh.
· David Bowie, one of the most influential recording artists of all time, passed away due to throat cancer. He was 69.
· Bowie was a legendary singer-songwriter and producer who excelled at glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during his over 40-year career.
MoU’s AND AGREEMENTS
22). Social Security Agreement was signed between India and Australia:
· India-Australia social security Agreement signed between both countries came into operation.
· This agreement will enable people of both nations toavail retirement benefits in each other’s country and willboost bilateral business linkages.
23). ‘MoUs worth Rs 1.5 lakh crore may be signed in CII summit’:
· Power minister PiyushGoyal said MoUs worth about R1.5 lakh crore are expected to be signed during the 22nd CII Partnership Summit in Vizag.
· The MoUs will be mainly for renewable energy and infrastructure projects.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
· Prime Minister NarendraModi released a book titled“MARU BHARAT SARU BHARAT “(My India Noble India) written byJain Acharya Ratnasunder suriswarji Maharaj.
· This is the 300th book of Ratnasunder suriswarji Maharaj. The book release function was organized by Sahitya Satkar Samiti of Ratnatrayee Trust in Mumbai.
· The book, My India, Nobel India, will be available in four languages – English, Hindi, Gujarati and Marathi.
25). Denmark’s sportsperson of the Year 2015: Rene HoltenPoulsen
· The Sports Confederation of Denmark and Danish Jyllands-Posten newspaper voted to award Poulsen the prize, which is known as Sports Name of the Year and is among the country’s top sports prizes.
26). Sony joins with ESPN to launch 2 sports channels
· Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN) announced the launch of two sports channels in partnership with ESPN, which is making a comeback in India.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here