Daily Current Affairs Updates– 13th February 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1.Make in India week: Business week starts today:
· The ‘Make in India’ Week, touted as the largest business expo hosted by the country, will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
· At leastfour MoUs worth at least Rs 64,000 crore are expected to be signed on the first day of the event.
· Modi will be accompanied by the prime ministers of Sweden and Finland, and the Polish deputy PM. In attendance will be 2,500 foreign delegates and 8,000 representatives of Indian companies.
2.Gujarat Govt’s new IT policy aims to create 1 million new jobs:
· The Gujarat Government announced a new IT/ITes Policy and Incentive Scheme (2016-21), aiming to promote the sector by providing subsidies to investors and create 10 lakh new jobs.
· Saurabh Patelsaid the new policy aimed at scaling up the current investment in this sector by 10 times, and turnover to $ 15 billion. It also aims to increase IT-ITes sector exports from the state to $ 2 billion per annum.
3.Anil Agarwal to set up India’s first LCD panel plant:
· Vedanta Group’s owner Anil Agarwal is setting up the country’s first LCD panel manufacturing plant in Maharashtra with an investment of $10 billion ( Rs 68,000 crore).
· The investment is through a new company calledTwinstar Display Technologies, which is promoted by holding company Volcano Investments, chairman Agarwal said in an exclusive interview with ET.
· The metals tycoon is set to sign a memorandum of understanding with Maharashtra government on the first day of ‘Make in India’ week.
4.Union Government organises ‘Destination North east- 2016’ event:
· Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, DoNER, is organising a three-day mega event ‘Destination North East-2016’ at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
· The event is showcasing the activities by various Ministries in the region and also providing an opportunity to different sectors to showcase and deliberate upon their achievements, constraints and challenges.
5.States can clampdown mobile internet access under Section 144 of CrPC: Supreme Court:
· The Supreme Court ruled that States can clampdown mobile internet access under Section 144 of theCriminal Procedure Code (CrPC) if there is apprehension that a public agitation can turn aggressive and disturb public tranquillity.
· The ruling was delivered by a bench led byChief Justice of India T S Thakur while dismissing a plea filed by law student Gaurav Sureshbhai Vyas against a Gujarat High Court order.
· The petitioner contended that the high court’s order, which upheld a clampdown on mobile internet access under Section 144 of the CrPC during the Patidar agitation, was a violation of the right to freedom of speech and expression granted under theArticle 19 (1) (a) of the Constitution.
6.Companies to get Business Identification Number:
· The Government in the next 2 to 3 months is going to introduceBusiness Identification Number(BIN)for companies.
· BINwill help in reducing the time of registration processes of the companies by acting as an identification number for different purposes of the companies.
· The Companies will have to apply for the BIN on the Government’s e-Biz Portal.
7.Goa may term National Bird Peacock as ‘Vermin’:
· The Goa Government is considering to list thenational bird peacock and state animaland‘protected species’ wild bison as’Vermin’or’nuisance animals’.
· These animals are creating problems for farmers and are destroying their cultivation in Rural areas saidGoa’s Agricultural Minister Ramesh Tawadkar
8.Udyanotsav being celebrated at Rashtrapati Bhawan at New Delhi:
· The Mughal Gardens at the Rashtrapati Bhavan opens today for general public. President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the annual Udyanotsav .
· The Gardens will remain open for general public till 19th of next month between 9.30 in the morning to 4 PM. The garden will remain closed on Mondays, which are maintenance days.
9.UP Government present final budget before assembly elections:
· In Uttar Pradesh, Chief Minister Ahkilesh Yadav presented fifth and last budget of his present term.
· The size of the budget is 3,46,935 crore rupees, which is up 14.6% in respect of previous year’s budget. Out of it, 1336 crores rupees have been allocated to clear the sugarcane farmer’s dues.
10.Ministry of Railways signed MoU with Telangana for rail expansion:
· The Ministry of Railways and State Government of Telanganainked aMemorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the formation of Joint Venture (JV) companies for development of railway infrastructure in the state.
· The MoU was signed in the backdrop of Railway Minister’s Budget announcement regarding setting up of Joint Ventures with States for focused project development, resource mobilization, land acquisition, project implementation and monitoring of critical rail projects
11.Next phase of Odd-even traffic rationing scheme to be implemented from April 15:
· The second phase of odd-even number scheme for cars in Delhi will be implemented from 15th of Aprilthis year.
· Announcing this,Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwalsaid the scheme would continue for 15 days.
· It aims atcurbing vehicular pollution and traffic congestion in the city.
· Quoting the recent survey conducted by the city government,Chief Minister Kejriwal said around 81 per cent people in the national capital were in favour of bringing back the Odd-Even scheme.
12.Swine Flu toll rise to 27 in Rajasthan in 2016:
· In Rajasthan, with the death of two more Swine flu patients, the toll has risen to 27this year.
· According to Health Department, twelve deaths have been reported from Jaipur, while four persons died to the H1N1 virus in Ajmer and two in Churu and rest are from other cities.
13.India and UAE to increase trade by 60% in next five years:
· India and United Arab Emirates, UAE, has reaffirmed their resolve to work together to increase trade by 60 percent over the next five years.
· A joint statement issued in New Delhi today said the two sides examined various tariff and non-tariff barriers and agreed to enhance the trade of priority commodities and expand the access of goods and services in both markets.
14.RailYatri to address health emergencies in Train:
· Indian Startup RailYatri updated its appto help passengers in Medical emergencies during Train journeys.
· The android app givespassengers a list of hospitals on their train route, it also providesdirections of the hospitals from a station and contact numbers of hospitals and ambulance services.
15.Nepal’s Prime Minister to visit India on 6 day official visit in February:
· Nepal’s Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli will embark on a six-day official visit to India, beginning from February 19, making hisfirst foreign visit since assuming office last October.
· A cabinet meeting approved the dates for the prime minister’s India visit and assigned the task to prepare agenda and other necessary ground work to theministry of foreign affairs, Minister for Information and Communication Sher Dhan Rai, who is also Spokesperson of the Nepal government, said.
16.4th World Government Summit concluded in Dubai:
· The 3-day long annual World Government Summit (WGS) concluded in Dubai, the UAE.
· The summit was 4th in the series since the launch of WGS in 2013 by the UAE Government.
· The 2016 WGS was attended by 4500 participants from more than 130 countries to discuss challenges and opportunities before present and future governments worldwide.
· It also provided an opportunity to showcase innovations, best practice and smart solutions to inspire creativity to tackle these future challenges.
17.Sri Lankan Prime Minister visit Temple in Kerala:
· Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickramasinghe offered worship at the famousLord Krishna Temple at Guruvayur in Kerala.
· He had visited the temple in April last year along with his wife and had offeredThulabharam, an offering wherea devotee is weighed against offerings with sandal wood.
18.NATO launches operation against Human trafficking agents:
· NATO ships are on their way to the Aegean Sea tohelp Turkey and Greece crack down on criminal networks smuggling refugees into Europe, the alliance’s top commander said today.
· Hours after NATO Defence Ministers agreed to use their maritime force in the eastern Mediterranean to help combat traffickers.
19.Taiwan quake death toll rise to 108:
· The death toll from a powerful earthquake that struck Taiwan has increased to 108 with some nine people still reported missing.
· The 16-storey Wei Guan building, the most seriously damaged in the 6.7-magnitude quake, in Tainan city collapsed towards a road on its east side seconds after the earthquake, accounting for 106 of the casualties, Xinhua news agency reported.
· Taiwan will observe a national day of mourning on Monday with the national flag flying at half mast.
20.Iraqi PM vows to clear IS this year:
· Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi vowed on Friday that Iraqi security forces would clear terrorists of the Islamic State militants in his country this year.
· Addressing audience at the Munich Security Conference, Al-Abadi said Iraqi forces liberated “more than half” of areas occupied by the terrorists. “We intend this year to make it the final year and the last year for the existence of Daesh in Iraq,” he was quoted by Xinhua as saying.
21.Canada, US, Mexico to cooperate on climate change:
· Canada, the US and Mexico signed a deal in Winnipeg, Canada,to tap into energy cooperation among the three countries, National Resources Canada said.
· Under the memorandum, thethree countries will collaborate and share information in key areas such as low-carbon electricity, clean energy technologies, energy efficiency, carbon capture, use and storage, climate change adaptation, and reducing emissions from the oil and gas sector, including from methane.
22.US, Cuba to resume direct flights:
· The US government has announced the upcoming signing of amemorandum of understanding with Cubain the field of civil aviation that will pave the way for direct commercial flights by the year end.
· The memorandum of understanding will be signed on February 17 in Havana by Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and his Cuban counterpart, Adel Yzquierdo.
23.Bangladesh begins census of Myanmar’s Rohingya refugees:
· Bangladesh has started to conduct a census onMyanmar’s Rohingya refugees living in the country’s southeastern districts bordering Myanmar to determine their exact figure.
· Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) has began the listing of households as part of primary task in six southeastern districts – Chittagong, Cox’s Bazar, Rangamati, Khagrachhari, Bandarban and Patuakhali, Xinhua reported.
24.India third most disaster prone in 2015: UN report
· India has been ranked third among the top five most disaster hit countries in 2015, the hottest year on record, having suffered more than 2,800 deaths and over Rs 22,000 crore economic damage in the last year alone.
· Worldwide, the economic losses have been estimated at $66.5 billion and over 22,700 people dead.
· After China and the US, which have been hit by 26 and 22 disasters respectivelylast year, India is the most affected country having suffered 19 disasters in 2015, according to a study released by theUnited Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
25.India to summon US Ambassador over Washington nod for sale of eight F-16 fighters to Pakistan:
· The US government said it had approved the sale to Pakistan of up to eight F-16 fighter jets built by Lockheed Martin Corp, radar and other equipment in a deal valued at $699 million.
· The agency said the F-16s would allow Pakistan’s Air Force to operate in all-weather environments and at night, while improving its self-defense capability and bolstering its ability to conduct counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations.
· Lawmakers have 30 days to block the sale, although such action is rare since deals are well-vetted before any formal notification.
26.RBI announced liquidity measures for March 2016:
· Reserve Bank of India has said it will inject adequate additional liquidity using a combination of appropriate instruments while continuing with its normal liquidity adjustment facility operations.
· The apex bank said this while announcing the liquidity measures for March 2016
· The RBI said, this will be done with a view to addressing the expected tightening of liquidity condition
27.RBI asks global banks to report drain of liquidity in advance:
· Expecting global banks to weather the current turmoil,RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan has asked them to keep the Indian central bank informed about any liquidity drain from their operations in India.
28.Indian start-ups with overseas subsidiaries can open foreign currency account abroad: RBI:
· Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has said a start-up with an overseas subsidiary is permitted to openforeign currency account abroadto pool the foreign exchange earnings.
· In view of theGovernment’s ‘Start-up India’ initiative, regulatory relaxations are being given to them.
· RBI further said that the overseas subsidiary is also permitted to pool its receivables arising from the transactions with the residents in India as well as the transactions with the non-residents abroad into the foreign currency account opened abroad in the name of the start-up.
29.PF Online withdrawal could start from August:
· Officials of the Retirements funds bodyEmployee Provident Fund Organisation(EPFO)said theonline withdrawal of the Provident Fund(PF) could start from August this year.
· EPFO will reportedly set upCentral data centres inDelhi,Gurgaon and Secunderabad to manage the Online Transactions.
30.SBI Cap seeks to sell Kingfisher House in Mumbai:
· SBICAP Trustee Co. Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of investment bank SBI Capital Markets Ltd (SBI Cap), has initiated the process for selling Kingfisher House, the headquarters of grounded airline Kingfisher Airlines Ltd, as part of its efforts at recovering loans from its promoter Vijay Mallya.
· SBI Cap, the unit of India’s largest public sector bank State Bank of India (SBI),published a public notice forsale of Kingfisher House near Mumbai’s domestic airport throughe-auction under the Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act (Sarfaesi), 2002, to recover dues.
31.RBI asks banks to submit proforma Ind AS financial statements from September:
· RBI wanting banks to go the IFRS way, the central bank has issued new directives on the implementation of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) convergedIndian Accounting Standards (Ind AS)by banks.
· Banks have been asked to submit proforma Ind AS financial statements to theRBI from the half-year ended September 30, 2016, onwards.
32.UAE’s Central Bank signs pact for currency swap:
· The RBI signed a pact with the Central Bank of the UAE to enter into a Currency Swap Agreement, which is aimed at strengthening economic ties with the Gulf nation.
· The MoU was signed between RBI chief Raghuram Rajan and UAE’s Central Bank Governor Mubarak Rashed Al Mansoori.
· India is UAE’s top trading partner while the latter isIndia’s third largest trading partner after the U.S. and China
33.Bank of Baroda posts highest ever loss by an Indian bank:
· State Owned lender Bank of Baroda reported a net loss of 3342 crore for the Quarter ended December,the Highest ever quarterly loss posted by an Indian Bank.
· The bank’s profit for the Year ago period stood at 334 Crore. The Loss was attributed to a nearly fivefold increase in the bank’s provisions for bad loans to 6164 Crore.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
34.Individuals can book maximum 6 tickets in a month through IRCTC online:
· The Southern Railway (SR) today announced that an individual user could book amaximum of only 6 tickets in a month online through IRCTC with effect from February 15, 2016.
· The decision was taken after the matter was reviewed by Railway Board. At present, an individual user can book a maximum of 10 tickets online through IRCTC in a month.
35.Time acquires Myspace, creates 2004’s most fearsome media giant:
· Time Inc. said it has acquired what’s left ofsocial networking ghost town Myspace.
· The media giant will take on ownership of Myspace as part of a larger acquisition of parent company Viant, an advertising and data analytic firm. Viant acquired Myspace from News Corp in 2011.
36.Oracle to invest $400 m in new campus in Bengaluru:
· Making her maiden trip to India, Safra Catz, Chief Executive Officer, Oracle, on her whirlwind visit to the national capital met the powers that be including Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
· Chief of the cloud computing major said that she sees a lot of opportunities here, especially with projects like‘Digital India’ and ‘Make in India’. Catz said theinvestments by Oracle would support the country’s global digital leadership.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
37.Karnataka Mobile One project won 2016 Best m-Government Service Award at World Government Summit:
· Karnataka’s Mobile One project won2016 Best m-Government Service Award at the4th World Government Summit in Dubai, the UAE.
· The project was selected for the award in theOne Stop App category at the international level.
· To win the award, the Mobile One competed with projects from about 64 countries of which the e-governance apps of the UK and Kazakhstan were also shortlisted.
38.Four Indian-Americans elected to National Academy of Engineering of USA:
· Four Indian-American engineers and two Indians were elected toNational Academy of Engineering (NAE) of the USA for their outstanding contributions to engineering research, practice, or education.
· While Indo-Americans Anil K Jain, Dr Arati Prabhakar, Ganesh Thakur and Dr K R Sridhar were part of 80 newly-elected members,Reliance Industries CMD Mukesh Ambani and former technocrat Sam Pitroda were part of 22 foreign members.
39.Vilas Tonapi appointed as Director of Indian Institute of Millets Research:
· Vilas A.Tonapiwas appointed as theDirector of Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR).
· At present,Tonapi is serving as the Principal Scientist at Seed Science and Technology of the IIMR
40.Facebook India MD Kirthiga Reddy Quits:
· Facebook India Managing Director Kirthiga reddy nnounced her exit from the comoany through a facebook post.
· The first employee for facebook in India,Reddy will be relocating to US.Notablyfacebook shutdown its Free Basic Services in India.
41.TERI appoints Ashok Chawla as new Chairman:
· TheTERI council appointed former Competition Commission ChiefAshok Chawla as its New Chairman.
· The council also inducted the newDirector General Ajay Mathur as a member of the council who will operate with full executive powers.
· TERI board sent itsExecutive Vice Chairman Dr RK Pachauri on indefinite leave.
42.Ramesh Abhishek to be next Industry Secretary:
· The government has appointed 1982 batch Bihar cadre IAS officerRamesh Abhishekas the nextSecretary to the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) in the Commerce and Industry Ministry that spearheads the Make In India and Startup India programmes.
· Present secretary Amitabh Kant is due to retire on February 29 and Mr. Abhishek, who is presently posted in the cabinet secretariat as Secretary (Performance Management)
BOOKS AND AUTHORS:
43.Book titled A Kingdom for his Love launched by Amar Chitra Katha:
· A fiction book titledA Kingdom For His Love was launched in February 2016 by Amar Chitra Katha (ACK). The book is co-authored byVani Mahesh and Shinie Antony
· The authors through the book want to retell the Sanskrit play‘Swapnavasavadattam’, by one of the earliest and most celebrated playwrights Bhasa. It is an immersive novel about two people coming together against all odds for the sake of true love
· The book is the first romance fiction published by the comic book publisher after it announced the launch of ACK Stories Alive imprint recently. Over all it is the second novel after the first novel‘Counter Theft’was published in July 2015.
44.India Under-19 to face West Indies in the final of U-19 World Cup:
· The West Indies have set up a title clash with India in the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup at Mirpur in Bangladesh.
45.BCCI banned Pakistan umpire Asad Rauf for 5 years for involvement in 2013 IPL spot-fixing scandal:
· The Disciplinary Committee of theBoard of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)banned Pakistan umpire Asad Rauf for 5 years on charges of corruption and misconduct.
· The disciplinary committee took this decision after Rauf was found guilty of charges in relation to theIndian Premier League (IPL) betting and spot-fixing scandal of 2013.
· With this ban, Rauf became ineligible for umpiring or playing or representing cricket in any form or being associated with activities of the BCCI and its affiliates for 5 years.
· Earlier, on 18 January 2016, Ajit Chandila and Hiken Shah were also banned by the committee in relation to the 2013 scandal.
· While Chandila was banned for life, Hiken Shah was banned for 5 years from playing or representing cricket in any form or to be associated in any way with the activities of the Board or its affiliates.
46.India wins second T20I:
· IndiaDefeated Srilanka by 69 runs in the Second T20I to level the three match series 1-1.
· Man of the Match:Shikhar Dhawan
47.Thisara Perera takes 4th hat-trick in T20I:
· Srilankan All-rounder Thisara Perera became only thefourth bowler afterTim Southee, Brett Lee and Jacob Oram to take a hat-trick in Twenty20 internationals.
48.Messi wins his first ‘Player of the Month’ Award:
· Lionel Messiwon the La Liga Player of the Month Award for the first time ever in his career.
· The Argentine becomes only the second ever Barcelona Player to win the award,after his Brazilian team mate Neymar had won the award earlier in the season.
· Messi Scored 6 goals in the month of january to win the award.
49.Fifa: Ex-general secretary Jerome Valcke banned for 12 years
· The governing body’sindependent ethics committee also fined the 55-year-old 100,000 Swiss francs (£70,800)after it investigated allegations of misconduct relating to sales of World Cup tickets.
· Regarding the 12-year ban imposed , Amongst other things, the adjudicatory chamber found that a sports marketing firm had gained an undue advantage from the selling of World Cup tickets.
50.Brendon McCullum: Kiwi legend played 100th consecutive Test:
· Retiring Kiwi cricketer Brendon McCullum played his 100th consecutive Test as he takes the field against Australia at the Basin Reserve.
· Since making his debut on March 9, 2004 in Hamilton against South Africa, McCullum has played 99 consecutive Test matches for New Zealand so far.
· The 34-year-old, who was given a fitting farewell by his team-mates in limited-overs cricket with a series win over Australia, said it would be nice to win the series in whites as well.
· The record of playing most consecutive Tests at any stage of a career is still held by Allan Border (153 Tests)
52.Pulitzer Prize-winning Composer Leslie Bassett died:
· Leslie Bassett, a Pulitzer Prize-winning composer, passed away in Oakwood, Georgia. He was 93.
· Bassett won the Pulitzer for music for Variations for Orchestra, which premiered in Rome in 1963
53.Senior BJP leader Visheshwar Ojha shot in Bihar, party threatens protests:
· BJP’s Bihar vice-president and prominent Bhojpur leader Visheshwar Ojha, 53,was shot dead at Sonbarsha village in Ara. Ojha had just entered his car after meeting a relative at a marketplace when the assailants. He died on his way to the hospital.
· Ojha had unsuccessfully contested the 2015 Bihar assembly polls against RJD nominee and former MP Shivanand Tiwari’s son Rahul Tiwari from Shahpur constituency
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here