Daily Current Affairs Updates– 13thJanuary 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1). Union government announced Greenfield petrochemical complex and NIPER in Visakhapatnam:
· Union Minister for Fertilizers and ChemicalsAnanth Kumar announced the sanction ofGreenfield petrochemical complexand National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) in Visakhapatnam and a Central Institute of Plastics Engineering& Technology (CIPET) in Vijayawada.
· The announcement was made at Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) partnership summit 2016 in Visakhapatnam.
· The proposed petrochemical complex will be constructed by public sector companies Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) and Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL). This would be an additional Medical Devices Park to the prior announced one in Gujarat in December 2015.
· Greenfield petrochemical complexwill have a potential investment of 20000 crore rupees will be manufacturing medical devices andNIPERwould help meet the demand for specialized manpower for making Visakhapatnam as a pharmaceutical hub.
· Along with these, Union Government will expand the student capacity of Central Institute of Plastics Engineering& Technology (CIPET) in Vijayawada to 5000 from the existing 200 and the institute will also offer graduate and post graduate courses in plastic engineering and that there are 28 CIPET centers all over the country.
2. Kerala First to achieve 100% primary Education:
· Kerala’s Education Minister PK Abdu Rabbannounced that the state has become the first ever Indian state to achieve 100% primary education.
· The Minister attributed the success to the primary education equivalency drive under state’s literacy mission’ATHULYAM’.
3. 20th National Youth Festival inaugurated in Naya Raipur:
· The 20th National Youth Festival was inaugurated by Union Road Transport and Highways MinisterNitin Gadkari at Rajyostav Sthal in Naya Raipur, Chhattisgarh to mark the National Youth Day.
· For the 20th National Youth Festival,Chhattisgarhwas chosen asthe partner state with thetheme India Youth for Skill, Development and Harmony.
· Mascot: Wild Buffalo, the state animal of Chhattisgarh, in famous dancing pose was chosen as the mascot of the event.
· The mascot was named asSanghi (friend), which symbolizes strength, gives message of physical fitness to youth of nation and its dancing pose signifies festive zeal.
4.Sushma Swaraj to visit Palestine, Israel:
· External Affairs MinisterSushma Swarajwill visit Israel and Palestine on January 17-18 to further build on the goodwill generated by the trip of President Pranab Mukherjee to the two West Asian nations three months back.
· Palestine will be Ms. Swaraj’s first destination where she will hold talks with leadership of the country with an aim to boost bilateral engagement and deepen mutual understanding at the political level.
5.PM Modi to lead galaxy of top global, Indian CEOs at ET Global Business Summit 2016:
· Prime MinisterNarendra Modiwill be the chief guest, and star attraction, at the Airtel-ET Global Business Summit (GBS) on January 29-30. PM Modi will inaugurate the summit on the evening of January 29.
· The first edition of ET GBS, held last January, was defined by the PM asking business leaders to dream of a $20-trillion Indian economy.
6. Anil Ambani-led Reliance Group signed MoU to set up naval facility in Vishakhapatnam:
· Reliance Defence Ltd, a unit of Anil Ambani ledReliance Infrastructure Ltd signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Andhra Pradesh Government to set up a world class naval facility in the state.
· The announcement regarding the MoU was made at Andhra Partnership Summit in Visakhapatnam. The proposed facility will be established with an initial investment of 5000 crore rupees. And, it will be setup on the East Coast of India atRambilli, which is 70 kilometers south of Visakhapatnam.
· Earlier, in March 2015, Reliance acquired the Pipavav shipyard on West Coast in Gujarat. These two facilities will build submarines and aircraft carriers and also provide services including maintenance and refitting of ships.
7. DAC approved major changes in Defence Procurement Procedure:
· The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Union Defence MinisterManohar Parrikar approved major changes in the new Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) 2016.
· The DPP 2016, which will take at least another two months for it to be notified, allows government funds up to 90 percent of development costs to private companies to push research and innovation. It also aims to enhance private sector participation and speed up procurement process.
· The new DPP will streamline defence acquisitions and give a big impetus to indigenization through the Make in India initiative.
8. ANDHRA PRADESH INKS MOU’S FOR RS. 4.78 LAKH CRORE:
· Chief Minister N. Naidu announced that they would hold Davos-type interface with stakeholders regularly to extend the benefits of development to the common man after signing pacts worth Rs.4.78 lakh crore with investors from India and the Middle East, the United States, China and other countries.
· The pacts were signed during the three-day CII Partnership Summit titled ‘Sunrise Andhra Pradesh Investment Meet’.
· As many as 328 MoUs signed has a potential to create employment for nearly ten lakh people, Mr. Naidu said Major investment proposals include Essel and ZEE Group establishing smart industrial parks, including LNG terminal, involving an investment of about $ nine billion indirectly by encouraging various Chinese and Indian companies to set up base in the park.
9.CCI approves ATC’s ₹7,635-crore stake purchase in Viom Networks:
· US-based American Tower Corphas got the approval of the Competition Commission of India to acquire a majority stake in telecom tower firm Viom Networks for ₹7,635 crore in an all-cash deal.
· In the largest FDI in the telecom sector this fiscal year, American Tower Corp (ATC) will buy 51 per cent in Viom, which owns and operates about 42,200 towers and has another 1,000 mobile phone masts under construction from Tata Teleservices and SREI Infrastructure Finance.
· Tata Teleservices Ltd owns 54 per cent of Viom, with the Kanoria family’s Kolkata-based SREI Group holding about 18 per cent with management control.
10. US, Jordan signed Joint Action Plan on cooperation to counter Nuclear Smuggling:
· United States and Jordan signed aJoint Action Plan (JAP) to improve efforts against nuclear and radiological smuggling. The partnership will help in enhancing the effortsto combat nuclear terrorism.
· The JAP was signed by Secretary of StateJohn Kerry and Jordan’s Foreign MinisterNasser Judeh in Washington.
11. Conference of QCG on Afghan Peace& Reconciliation held in Islamabad:
· Conference of Quadrilateral Coordination Group (QCG)on Afghan Peace and Reconciliation process was held in Islamabad. The purpose of the conference was to explore ways to create consensus for talks between the Taliban and Afghanistan’s government.
· The conference was participated representatives from Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and the US. The group will again meet in Kabul on 18 January 2016 to hold discussions on a roadmap.
· The joint statement released after the discussions emphasised the immediate need for direct talks between the representatives of the Afghanistan government and representatives from Taliban groups. The talks for peace process aims at preserving Afghanistan’s unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity.
About Quadrilateral Coordination Group
The four-nation group was set up in 2015 to expedite the process of reconciliation in the war-torn country after decades of bloodshed.
The first round was held in July 2015 but the process was suspended in the same month after news of Taliban Chief Mullah Omar’s death was announced.
12. USIBC appointed Edward Monser, Punit Renjen as Vice Chairs of Council Board:
· The U.S.-India Business Council (USIBC) Board of Directors selected Council board members Edward Monser, President of Emerson, andPunit Renjen, CEO of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited(Deloitte Global), as USIBC vice Chairs.
· The announcement came at the heels of former Cisco CEOJohn Chamber’s recent appointment to USIBC Chairman.
· Renjen and Monser together represent over 60 years of experience and expertise in global manufacturing, business strategy, and business development, reflecting USIBC’s directive to maintain a diverse leadership.
13. Amitabh Bachchan made honorary life member of Mohammedan Sporting:
· Bollywood actorAmitabh Bachchan was bestowed honorary life membership of Kolkata’s soccer outfit Mohammedan Sporting.
· Sporting presidentSultan Ahmed handed over the club’s life membership to Bachchan.
· Bachchan was also invited to be the chief guest of the club’s 125th anniversary gala event to be held later in 2016
14.SBI chief identifies four change drivers in Indian banking system:
· State Bank of India ChairpersonArundhati Bhattacharya said four drivers are changing the banking landscape in India. These are regulatory changes, technology, competition and financial inclusion.
· She was delivering the Assocham Foundation Day lecture in the capital.
· SBI, which has been at forefront of technology adoption, will this year open 100 new digital branches.
· SBI will also launch private wealth management business at Bangalore.
15.Increase in personal income tax exemption limit to Rs.2.5 lakh for savings sought:
· Increase in exemption limit to Rs.2.5 lakhs for savings under the Income Tax Act, interest rates on small savings schemes to be fixed at five-year Government Security yields and an end to the dividend distribution tax these are among the suggestions the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley received at a pre-Budget Consultative Meeting with the representatives of Banks and Financial Institutions (FIs).
· The experts have also demanded that Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) expenses should be treated as business expenditure for taxation purposes.
16. EPFO bags National Award on e-Governance
· The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization has won the National Award on e-Governance 2015-16 for launching theUniversal Account Number (UAN).
· The UAN facility enables workers to transfer their provident fund deposits while switching jobs anywhere in India easily.
· The EPFO won the gold award in the ‘innovative use of technology in e-governance’ category and the retirement body will get a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh.
· The award will be presented by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions to the EPFO in the 19th National Conference on e-governance to be held in Nagpur on January 22.
17.Sree Chithira Tirunal national award presented to T.P. Sreenivasan
· Vice presidentHamid Ansari conferred theSree Chithira Tirunal National Award on former Ambassador and vice chairman of theKerala Higher Education Council T.P. Sreenivasan.
· The award instituted by a private trust is annually bestowed on persons reckoned to have anexcellent public service record.
18.Vodafone begins selling 4G-ready SIMs in Kolkata:
· These 4G-ready SIMs will be made available at multi-brand outlets in a phased manner.
· According to the release, the SIMs is being made available in advance of the commercial launch of Vodafone’s 4G services in Kolkata.
· Vodafone has already launched its high-speed 4G services in Kerala. The roll-out will continue with major metros such as Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru and Delhi to be launched by March 2016.
19. Fillip to ‘Make in India’ in defence purchases:
· New category to promote domestic manufacturing, including funding for R&D.
· Attempting to streamline defence acquisitions and give a big impetus to indigenization through the ‘Make in India’ initiative, the government has approved major changes to the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP).
· The highlights of the new procedure are a new category to promote domestic manufacturing, including government funding for Research& Development (R&D) and recognition of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) in technology development.
20. Bentley’s Bentayga SUV is the fastest in the world
· The Bentayga is powered by a 6.0 litre, 12-cylinder twin-turbo engine which develops 600hp and will blast you from rest to 100km/h (60mph) in four seconds.
· British car maker Bentley has said that its first SUV Bentayga is the fastest and the most luxurious SUV in the world.
· Bentley said the diesel engine will be available soon after launch but the plug-in hybrid won’t appear until sometime in 2018.
21. CII Partnership Summit 2016 concluded in Vishakhapatnam:
· The 22nd edition of Confederate of Indian Industry (CII) Partnership Summit -cum-Sunrise Andhra Pradesh Investment Summit was concluded on 12 January 2016 at Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
· The summit was held in cooperation with the Government of Andhra Pradesh and the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Government of India.
Key highlights of the Summit
· •Andhra Pradesh became first state to release retail policy.
22. Australia beat India by 5 wickets in first ODI:
· Australian captainSteve Smith’s brilliant 149 overshadowed Rohit Sharma’s magnificent 171 as the hosts flayed India’s listless bowling attack en route a comprehensive five-wicket victory in the first ODI of the five-match cricket series.
· While it was another heartbreaking end to aRohit century that ended in a losing cause (his T20 hundred and ODI hundred against SA were scored in defeats)
· It also turned out to be the highest successful run-chase at the WACA and the third highest in an ODI in Australia.
23. Mirza, Hingis equal record with 28 straight wins:
· World Number one pair ofSania Mirza and Martina Hingis equaled the world record of winning 28 consecutive matches, which was set by Puerto Rican-Belarusian duo of Gigi-Fernandez and Natasha Zvereva in 1994
· They achieved this feat after defeating Chen Liang and Shuai Peng 6-2,6-3 in the Apia International quarterfinals in Sydney
24. Book titled Jawaharlal Nehru and the Indian Polity in Perspective released by Hamid Ansari:
· The book titled Jawaharlal Nehru and The Indian Polity in Perspective was released by Hamid Ansari on 12 January 2016 by the Vice President of India Hamid Ansari at Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala.
· The focus of the book is on the role of Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first Prime Minister, on shaping the polity of modern India.
· The book was edited by Prof Alexander and with contributions from eminent persons like Justice K T Thomas, Dr Rajan Kurukkal, Dr B Vivekanandan, M G Radhakrishnan and others. It was published by T M Varghese Foundation.
25. Monte Irvin, Hall of Fame outfielder, passed away:
· Hall of Famer Monte Irvin, an outfielder who starred for theNew York Giantsin the 1950s, died on 11 January 2016 in Houston, Texas, the USA. He was 96.
· Irvin was the oldest living former Negro Leagues player. He lived in a retirement community in Houston prior to his death.