Daily Current Affairs Updates– 14thFebruary 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· India is the only economy which has not been affected by theglobal economic crisis which has hit the world, primarily due to the policies being implemented by the government, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said.
2). Arunachal Pradesh Governor takes exception to handling of refugee issue
· Arunachal Pradesh Governor JP Rajkhowa has taken strong exception to the poor performance of the state’s legal team on theChakma-Hajong refugee issue and directed that the matter be reviewed and represented once again.
· Rajkhowa asked the Chief Secretary and the Principal Secretary (Home) to immediately hire the best lawyers to take up the matter in Supreme Court, Raj Bhawan said in a communique.
· Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today inaugurated a series of projects taken up byHighways and Minor Ports Department,costing Rs 1,002.02 crorethat includes construction of new bridges, railway over bridges and buildings.
· She inaugurated the projects from the secretariat via video conference facility, an official release said.
· Foundation stone for construction of five bridges and equal number of railway over bridges was also laid.
4). Delhi govt to spend 25% of budget on education
· Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi Manish Sisodia said that theAAP government would allocate25% of its annual budget to the education sector, focussing on“quality education, training, infrastructure and international collaboration”.
· The first day of the‘Make in India’ week, saw the signing of three MoUs between Maharashtra government bodies and various companies for total investment worth Rs. 21,000 crore.
· Twinstar Display Technologies, Raymond Industries and Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages were among the companies that signed the MoUs for setting up manufacturing plants in India.
6). 1st Mega Food Park in Madhya Pradesh inaugurated at Panwa
· 1st Mega Food Park (MFP) of Madhya Pradesh was inaugurated atPanwa village in Kasarwad tehsil of Khargone district.
· The MFP, named after Indus, was inaugurated by Harsimrat KaurBadal, Union Minister of Food Processing Industries.
· Prime Minister Modi and theSwedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfvenvisited the ABB stall at the ‘Make in India’ week.
· ABB is part of the Swedish Pavilion and is showcasing a host of innovative technologies made in India at the exposition.
· With a presence in India of 100 years, ABB India has been an integral part of the country’s power and automation journey.
8). Afghanistan civilian casualties top 11,000 to hit record in 2015
· TheUN in 2015 recorded its highest number of civilians killed or wounded in Afghanistan, according to a new report today, with children paying a particularly heavy toll as struggling Afghan forces faced a militant surge.
· There were 11,002 civilian casualties in 2015, a four percent rise over 2014, the UN said in the annual report, with 3,545 of them fatalities.
· Russian PresidentVladimir Putin andU.S. President Barack Obama agreed tointensify diplomatic and other cooperation to implement an agreement on Syria struck at talksin Munich, the Kremlin.
· Major powers agreed on Friday to a temporary “cessation of hostilities” in Syria. The pause is due to begin in a week’s time .
10). Axis Bank to launch wearables for its customers in collaboration with GOQii
· Axis Bankhas tied up with fitness firmGOQii to collaborate on wearable devices for its customers.
· Rajiv Anand, head-retail banking, Axis Bank, told ET that this would be the first MasterCard certified wearable device.
· India’s public sector banks will lose their ‘highly safe category tag’ if the government does not step in and provide more capital than what was committed under theIndradhanush plan, Crisilsaid.
· Intensifying asset quality problems at public sector banks have the potential to impair their credit risk profiles and necessitate significantly higher capitalisation either through government infusion or relaxation of regulatory capital norms, according to the credit ratings firm.
12). Paytm to unveil leadership for its proposed payments bank in March
· Paytm, the ecommerce and digital wallet company, will reveal leadership for its upcoming payment bank next month, its founder said.
· “March first week we will announce our leadership team. We have people from Citibank and Barclays joining us. The launch is not happening before June,” Vijay Shekhar Sharma said at the venue of the Nasscom India Leadership Forum here on Friday. The launch is on track as Paytm has time until March 2017, he added.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· Swedish Defence and security company Saab has teamed up withKalyani Strategic Systems Ltd (KSSL), the defence arm of the Kalyani Group, to prepare for a joint venture company in India for the SRSAM (short range surface-to-air missile) and VSHORAD (very short range air defence systems) air defence programmes.
14). Amazon launches Make in India store
· Online marketplace Amazon.in, supporting the Indian Government’s Make in India initiative, has dedicated its main page for the event that kicks off in Mumbai.
· It has also launched a dedicated‘Make in India’ store on its platform featuring products, across categories that are manufactured in India including offerings from hundreds of Indian and international brands.
· As it scurries to garner funds to ensure release of jailed chiefSubrata Roy, embattledSahara group has begun another mammoth exercise oftaking back loads of investor documents it had given to the markets regulator Sebi in128trucks over three years ago.
· The move follows Sebi gettingRs 41 crore, from interest earned on money deposited bySahara for investor refunds, as reimbursement of expenses incurred by the regulator in this high-profile case including towards huge storage costs of these documents that are key to verification of investors.
16). Paytm gave away Rs. 588 crore of cashback in 2015
· During the recently concludedIndia Digital Summit conducted by IAMAI (Internet and Mobile Association of India), founderVijay Shekhar Sharma shared that Paytm gave awayRs. 588 crore of cashback to its customers in 2015.
· Notably, the company reported a revenue of Rs. 337 crore in FY 2014-15 with a loss of Rs. 372 crore.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
· Vidya Balanwas felicitated with the‘Pride of Kerala’ award by theWorld Malayalee Council and media broadcasting channel Kairali TV.
· The actress who hails from Palakkad in Kerala took to Twitter to express her joy after being presented the award.
· The 38-year-old actress will next be seen in SujoyGhosh’s ‘TE3N’, alongside Amitabh Bachchan and NawazuddinSiddiqui.
· Conservative US Supreme Court JusticeAntonin Scalia (79) passed away, prompting a political debate over his replacement.
· He died ofapparent natural causes, in his sleep after a day of quail hunting outsideEl Paso, Texas.
· He was staying at a private residence in the Big Bend area of South Texas.
· Biraja Prasad, who was posted recently asAmbassador to Tajikistan, passed away on Saturday following a massive cardiac arrest.
· Mr. Prasad, who belonged to Odisha, suffered a heart attack during sleep, family sources said here. Prasad, a career diplomat, had joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1998.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· Google has announced that it will shut downPicasaand will redirect users to try Google Photos for all their photo sharing needs.
· Google has also announced that it will stop support for Picasa desktop application from March 15, 2016. The Google blogpost reads, “As of March 15, 2016, we will no longer be supporting the Picasa desktop application.
21). India-launched satellite performing well: Singapore
· Singapore said its first satellite launched by India was performing well and it was developing a second much-larger“Next Gen Satellite” to enhance its remote-sensing capabilities.
· TeLEOS-1 is performing to plan as the‘In-Orbit Test’activities continue to beconducted and test imagery are taken as part of the camera calibration and validation process, said Singapore Technologies at the media preview of the Singapore Airshow 2016.
· Video sharing websiteYouTube was founded by three former PayPal employees, Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim, on February 14, 2005.
· However, the first video on the website was uploaded on April 23, which was an 18-second clip of Karim at a zoo.
· Headquartered in California, United States, YouTube was bought by Google for $1.65 billion in October 2006.
23). Scientists achieved record data transmission rate:
· University College London scientists have developed a fibre-optic equipment which can transfer data at1.125 terabits per second, the fastest data transmission ever.
· This was achieved by sending15 pulses of different frequency light at once. “The data rate we have achieved would allow the entire HD Game of Thrones series to be downloaded within one second”, a scientist said.
· Tainted Pakistani umpireAsadRauf was banned for five years by the BCCI after its disciplinary committee found him guilty of corrupt practices and bringing the game into disrepute.
· The 59-year-old Rauf, who was part of the ICC’s elite panel and officiated in Test matches, was accused of accepting expensive gifts from bookies besides placing bets on IPL matches in the 2013 edition.
· West Indies defeated India by 5 wickets to win theirmaiden ICC U-19 World Cup.
· Chasing a target of 146, the West Indians reached the total with just 3 balls to spare, thanks to Keacy Carty’s 52* and Keemo Paul’s 40*.
· Earlier, India were bowled out for 145, with Sarfaraz Khan scoring 51 and Alari Joseph picking 3 wickets.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here