Daily Current Affairs Updates – 16th February 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1. Digital India initiative will transform the country: Ravi Shankar Prasad:
· Communications and Information Technology Minister Ravishankar Prasad said the ‘Digital India’ initiative will transform the country into a digital society and a knowledge economy.
· With the demand for electronic hardware expected to rise rapidly to $400 billion by 2020, India has initiatives to promote electronics hardware manufacturing and its policy on the same has received an encourage response, he said.
2. Finance Ministry launches portal to collect non-tax receipt:
· Finance Minister Arun Jaitleylaunched a portal to electronically collect over 2 lakh crore annually in Non-Tax receipts.
· The Sources mainly include dividends, interest receipts, spectrum charges, royalty, licence fee, sale of forms and RTI application fees.
· As per the Budget,the government aims to collect over 2.21 lakh crore as non-tax receipts during 2015-16.
3. India and Sweden inked MoU on technical cooperation in rail sector:
· The Ministry of Indian Railways and the Ministry of Enterprise and Innovation of the Kingdom of Sweden inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) ontechnical cooperation in rail sector.
· The MoU aims at developing cooperation activities in the railway area to promote efficiency and sustainability and achieve concrete results with regard to bilateral trade, investment, research and technology transfer.
· The MoU was signed by Girish Pillai, Adviser / Infrastructure on behalf of Ministry of Railways, and Oscar Stenstrom, State Secretary on behalf of Swedish Government.
4. National Capital Goods Policy released by the Union Government:
· The National Capital Goods Policy which aims to develop India as one of the major export hubs for capital goods was released by the Union Government in Mumbai.
· The Union Ministry of Heavy Industries and& Public enterprisesreleased the National Capital Goods Policy in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
· The National Capital goods policy is an endeavour to drive growth for Capital Goods sector, as well as a part of Government’s commitment to help realise this vision of‘Building India as the World class hub for Capital Goods’.
· This is a first ever policy of this sector, with a clear objective of increasing production of capital goods.
5. Kolkata Police Develops app to trace Criminals:
· Kolkata Police are all set to launch a mobile application that will make it easy for investigating Officers to immediately get hold of past records of Criminals.
· The Deputy Commissioner Santosh Pandey is leading a team of policemen with dedicated IT and Forensic experts to develop the app.
· The App will likely be calledM-Watch
6. Mysuru ranked the cleanest city in India:
· The Union Ministry of Urban development announcedMysuru as the cleanest city of India whileDhanbad was ranked at the bottom of the list of 73 cities.
· Results of‘Swachh Survekshan-2016’ were released by theMinister of Urban Development M.Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi.
· ‘Swachh Survekshan’ is a survey done by the Union Ministry of urban development to assess the cleanliness and sanitation of urban cities in India under the‘Swachh Bharat’ Abhiyan which was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Top 10 Cities:
· The top 10 cities in terms of sanitation and hygiene in order of rank are:Mysuru, Chandigarh, Tiruchirapalli (Tamil Nadu), New Delhi Municipal Council, Visakhapatnam(Andhra Pradesh), Surat, Rajkot, both in Gujarat, Gangtok (Sikkim), Pimpri Chindwad and Greater Mumbai, both from Maharashtr. Visakhapatnam(Andhra Pradesh),Surat and Rajkot, both form Gujarat and Gangtok(Sikkim) improved their ranks to break into top 10 clean cities in this year’s survey
7. Industrial Production declined for second consecutive month in December 2015:
· The Quick Estimates of Index of Industrial Production (IIP) with base 2004-05 for the month of December 2015 was released by theCentral Statistics Office of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
· IIP is compiled using data received from 15 source agencies calculating the indices across various industries. As per the data released by the Central Statistics Office,the country’s industrial production declined for the second month in a row, shrinking 1.3 per cent in December 2015.
8. Union Government approved assistance to seven states:
· The Union Government approvedassistance of over Rs 4,087 crore to seven states affected by drought.
· A high level committee chaired by the Union Home Minister Rajnath Singhapproved the assistance from theNational Disaster Relief Fund after examining the proposals based on the report of the Central Team which visited the affected states.
9. Sahitya Akademi annual festival of letters begin:
· Sahitya Akademi’s annual Festival of Letters began in New Delhi
· This year focus of the festival is on tribal, oral and North-Eastern literature.
· Noted writer Manoj Das inaugurated the the six day long festival. The Akademi is also organizing a Tribal Language Poetry festival which will see tribal poets from across the country reciting poems in their native languages, followed by the respective translations in either Hindi or English.
10. Over 250 villages electrified by Union Govt. under Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gram Jyoti Yojana:
· Over 250 villages have been electrified across the country from 8th to 14th February underDeen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojna (DDUGJY).
· Out of these electrified villages, 111 villages belong to Odisha, 81 villages in Assam, 40 in Jharkhand, 13 in Rajasthan, four in Bihar, three in Madhya Pradesh and one in Uttar Pradesh.
11. Rajasthan to encourage financial inclusion through cooperative banks :
· In Rajasthan, to encouragefinancial inclusion of people in the state, cooperative banks will start a month-long drive from today onwards in which new bank accounts will be opened and KYC forms will also be filled.
· According to Cooperative department officials, it will be a one-of-its kind drive in the country with an aim to give the benefit of various schemes of the government directly to the beneficiaries.
12. WPI inflation fall to (-)0.9 % in January 2016:
· Reversing four months of rising trend,Wholesale Price Index (WPI) inflation fell to minus 0.9 per cent in January as food articles, mainly vegetables and pulses, turned cheaper.
· The Wholesale Price Index-based inflation was minus 0.73 per cent in December. This is the 15th straight month since November 2014 that deflationary pressure persisted and wholesale inflation has remained in the negative zone.
13. Union Government to privatise 5 hotels as part of disinvestment:
· The Union Government has identified five ITDC-run hotels, including Hotel Janpath in the national capital for privatisation as part of its plan to disinvest such loss-making properties. India Tourism Development Corporation, ITDC, said in a regulatory filing in New Delhi.
· The decision for disinvestments of five properties has been taken in the review meeting taken by theTourism Secretary Vinod Zutshi.
14. Indian Railway announced e-Auction for scrap under Digital India:
· Indian Railways has made e-auction mandatory for scrap auction as part of theDigital India initiative.
· According to a senior Railway Ministry official it has made over Rs. 3000 crore from scrap sales in last fiscal. Railways sells thousands of tonnes of scrap, including about 15,000 wagons, 1,200 coaches, 80 to 100 locomotives, every year through public auction.
15. France urges Turkey to end assault on Kurdish fighters:
· France’s foreign ministry has urged Turkey to end its assault on Kurdish fightersin northern Syria.
· Turkey began shelling the militia, which it says is linked to the banned Kurdistan Workers Party.
16. Civilian casualties in Afghanistan rise in 2015: UN
· TheUN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, UNAMA Chief Nicholas Haysom told reporters in Kabul that the number of civilian casualties during 2015 were the highest recorded since it began its systematic documentation of civilian casualties in 2009.
· In 2015, Afghan hostilities left more than 3,500 civilians dead and nearly 7,500 others injured, an increase of four percent in civilian casualties from the previous year.
17. North Korea to put more Satellites in space:
· North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un has promised to put more satellites in space.
· The mission had come at a complex time when hostile forces are more bloody-eyed than ever to strangle North, the officialKorean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported today.
18. Negative interest rate policy came into force in Japan:
· The negative interest rate policy announced by the Bank of Japanin January, 2016 came into force on February 16, 2016. This is thefirst time that Japan has had negative interest rate.
· The negative interest rate recently approved by the Bank of Japan (BoJ) for certain bank deposits, came into force on Tuesday, a historic measure intendedto boost the growth of the world’s third largest economy.
· It is the first time that the benchmark rate falls into negative territory in Japan, after data on Monday showed a contraction in the gross domestic product (GDP) in the October-December quarter, showing the effects of a global deceleration on the Japanese economy, EFE news reported.
19. Justice D H Waghela sworn in as Chief Justice of Bombay High court:
· Justice Dhirendra Hiralal Waghela was sworn-in as theChief Justice of the Bombay High Court, at a swearing in ceremony held at Raj Bhavan in Mumbai.
· The Governor of Maharashtra Ch Vidyasagar Rao administered the oath of office to Justice Waghela. The ceremony was attended byChief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, Advocate General Shreehari Aney and several ministers and dignitaries.
20. UK Sinha gets extension as SEBI Chief:
· The Government extended the term ofUK Sinha as the Chairman of Market regulator SEBI by one year(March 1 2017)
· During his tenure,Sebi has taken a number of steps to check manipulationa and ensure safeguards of the investors and overall marketplace.
· Before Joining SEBI, Sinha was heading UTI Mutual Funds,after serving in the Finance Ministry.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
21. Asif Kapadia won Bafta award for documentary on Amy winehouse:
· Indo-British filmmaker Asif Kapadia has won the Bafta for his poignant documentary “Amy”on late British singer Amy Winehouse.
· It is Kapadia’s third trophy at the British Film Awards. He previously won for sports documentary “Senna” in 2012 and Irrfan Khan-starrer “The Warrior” in 2003.
22. Taylor Swift Wins ALBUM OF THE YEAR FOR 1989:
· Taylor Swift has taken home the 2016 award for Album of The Year at the 2016 Grammy Awards for her 2014 album1989.
· Album of The Year is the most prestigious award in the music industry, and it’s Taylor’s second Album of the Year win (she first won in 2010 for Fearless.)
· Swift, who also opened the night’s award ceremony with a performance of the 1989 track “Out of the Woods” accepted the award. Swift pointed out in her speech that she is the first woman to win album of the year twice
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
23. Tata Teleservices subsidiary mRUPEE tied-up with IRCTC:
· mRUPEE, a subsidiary of Tata Teleservices, announced that it has tied up withIndian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) to provide an additional payment gateway.
· Indian Railways carries more than 23 million passengers a day and the association will allow users one-tap payments for rail ticket bookings via mRUPEE wallet for a significant number of travellers
24. India Asks Vodafone To Pay Taxes Or Face Seizure:
· India said it may seizeVodafone Group Plc’s assets in the country if the company doesn’t pay a disputed Rs.14,200 crore tax bill that’s still undergoing international arbitration proceedings.
· Vodafone has disputed the tax bill levied by Indian authoritiesover its 2007 purchase of the India business of Hutchison.
· The telecom giant bought a majority stake in the mobile company from Li Ka Shing Holdings through a subsidiary based in the Netherlands.
· The $11.2 billion transaction was routed through Cayman Islands, and Vodafone said it did not owe the Indian government any taxes for the deal since it was conducted offshore.
25. IT Highest Paying Sector in India:
· According to Monster Salary Index (MSI), Information Technology sector is the highest paying sector in India with a median gross hourly salary of Rs 346.42, while those in the manufacturing sector get paid the least at Rs 254.04.
· Even though the IT sector is the highest paying sector in India, but only 57.4% are satisfied with their salary.
· Next comes Banking Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI) with a median gross salary of Rs.300.23 per hour while manufacturing sector pays the lowest among the three with a median gross salary of Rs.254.04 per hour. Only 52 percent BFSI employees are satisfied with their pay cheques.
26. Reliance Jio partners 8 global telecom operators:
· Reliance Jioforged an alliance witheight other global telecom operatorsincluding BT, Deutsche Telekom, Millicom,MTS,Orange,Rogers,TeliaSonera and TIM.
· The alliance aims atsharing telecom networks and bringing out innovative digital products and services.
· As of now,it has established relationships with30 partner businesses includingAirBnB and Spotify.
27. Quikr launches app to check condition of Mobiles:
· Quikr launched a new app ‘QuikrScanner’,that lets users check the condition and quality of pre-owned mobile phones listed on its platform.
· The app runs up to 20 tests to evaluate an android Phone,including its battery,cameras and Network.
· QuikrScanneralso comes embedded withQuikr’s mobile app.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
28. Google’s Project Loon begins its first balloon internet tests in Sri Lanka:
· Google’s balloon-powered high-speed Internet service known as “Project Loon”began its first tests in Sri Lanka ahead of a planned joint venture with Colombo, the country’s top IT official said.
· One of three balloons that will be used in the trials entered Sri Lankan airspace Monday, theInformation and Communication Technology Agency chief Muhunthan Canagey said.
· “The first balloon entered our airspace this morning. It was launched from South America.” Canagey told AFP. “It is currently over southern Sri Lanka.”
29. Android 6.0 MarshMallow comes to Galaxy devices:
· Samsung started rolling out the Android 6.0 MarshMallow operating system to its flagship Galaxy devices,beginning with theGalaxy S6 and S6 Edge smartphones.
· The operating system first released in October 2015,currently has around 1.2% adoption.
· Samsung will launch its Galaxy S7 smartphone on February 21,leading to the speculation that the device will also sport MarshMallow
30. National Woman Sports begin at Patna, Bihar:
· The National Woman Sports began at Patna, Bihar.
· It will finish on February 17, 2016. 22 states are participating in this event. Teams of various states are participating in different events including Athletics, Hockey, Tennis and Handball. For the first time National Woman Sport has been organized in Bihar.
31. India’s woman footballer Oinam Bembem retires after South Asian Games:
· The captain of the Indian women’s football team Oinam Bembem bid farewell to her career as a footballer asIndia won the Gold medal in the Woman’s football in the 12th SAG.
· India’s iconic women’s footballer Oinam Bembem Devi hanged up her football boots with a 4-0 win against Nepal in the final of the South Asian Games championship here on Monday.
· Bembem made her international debut representing India in 1995 at the Asian Women’s Championships at the age of 15
32. Indian women football team defeated Nepal to bag gold at SAG:
· The India women’s team won gold at the 12th South Asian Games (SAG), beating Nepal 4-0 in the final at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong.
· India’s Kamala Devi scored twice. Bala Devi and Ashalata Devi were the other scorers.
· On the other hand, thematch brought to an end India’s top women’s footballer Bembem Devi’s international career.
· India reached a medal tally of 301 with Gold-183 Silver-88 Bronze-30
33. Jauna Murmu, Ranjit Nayak included in Target Olympic Podium Scheme:
· Two prominent sportspersons from Odisha, namely Jauna Murmu and archer Ranjit Nayak were included in theTarget Olympic Podium (TOP) Scheme formulated by the Union Government for the 2016 and 2020 Olympic Games.
· Jauna Murmu is a sprinter, while Ranjit is an archer. The two sports persons were chosen for the scheme by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
34. Dominic Thiem defeated Nicolas Almagro to win ATP Argentina Open:
· World No.19 Dominic Thiemdefeated Spaniard Nicolas Almagro 7-6 (2), 3-6, 7-6 (4) to win the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Buenos Aires tournament. With the win, Theim claimed his fourth ATP singles title.
· Thiem reached the final after beating former No. 1 Rafael Nadal in the semifinals.
35. Elliott, Babar make record 10th wicket Stand:
· In a PSL match between Quetta Gladiators and Peshawar Zalmi,Grant Elliott and Zulfiqar Babar set a new world record for the Highest 10th Wicket Partnership in a T20 game as they scored 63 runs in 32 balls.
· The Previous best was 59 runs made by Heath Streak and James Anyon playing for Warwickshire on 1st July 2005
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here