Daily Current Affairs Updates– 16thJanuary 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· TheGhaziabad district administration announced that the use of polythene bags will be prohibited in accordance to the polythene ban in Uttar Pradesh which comes into effect onJanuary 22.
· For this, district authorities will be prohibiting entry of polythene bags Ghaziabad, it will also undertake public awareness campaigns condoning the use of plastic bags
· TheWorld Bank announced that India saved1 billion US dollars annually by usingAadhaar. It was revealed in the bank’s publication World Development Report 2016: Digital Dividends that was released in Washington DC, the USA.
· As per the report, transfer of fuel subsidy to bank accounts using the Aadhaar-based Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) saved about 1 billion per year when applied throughout the country on account of reduced leakage and efficient gains
· The report further estimated that the DBT has the potential to save over 11 billion US dollars per year in government expenditure if the scheme is expanded to other subsidy programmes
3). 7-year jail term for selling tobacco to minors:
· Selling Cigarettes or chewable tobacco products to minors is now punishable with up toseven years imprisonment and a fine of 1 lakh.
· This is part of the newJuvenile Justice Actthat came into effect on January 15. Previously the same offence carried a penalty ofRs.200 and jail term of up to 3 months.
4). Temple lets Dalits, women enter after 400 years:
· TheParsuram temple in Uttrakhand’sJaunsar Bawar area has reportedly allowed entry to Dalits and women after 400 years of prohibition.
· The temple also plans stopping its age-old animal sacrifice practice
5). India to use France’s Flood forecasting methods:
· India is planning to set up aNational Water Informatics Center in Delhi as a part of its flood forecasting systems, by collaborating withFrance
· This was followed by the visit of a 10 member delegation to France and the Netherlands in November to study the possibility of replicating the high tech systems in India which are used by these Countries.
COMMITTEES IN NEWS:
· Eminent film personalitiesKamal Hassan and Gautam Ghosh included in the Shyam Benegal Committee on functioning of theCentral Board of Film Certification (CBFC).
· The inclusion was done to give representation to more regions of the country and on the recommendation of the existing four members committee.
· Earlier, on 1 January 2016, theUnion Information and Broadcasting Ministry set up the panel under the chairmanship ofShyam Benegal to review the provisions of the Cinematograph Act, 1952 and recommend measures for the smooth run of CBFC.
The Other four members who are already in the Committee
· Shyam Benegal-Chairman
· Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra,
· Piyush Pandey
· Bhawana Somayaa
7). Delhi-based writer Ankita Anand won the Lorenzo Natali Media Prize for work on Khap panchayats:
· An independent Delhi-based writerAnkita Anand won theEuropean Commission’s prestigious Lorenzo Natali Media Prize for 2015 in Asia and the Pacific amateur category.
· She earned the award for her sensitive portrayal of life for young women facing the threat of the diktat of khap panchayats in Haryana with the title Stirrings beneath the peepul published in the journal The Equator Linel.
· Arison Tamfu, an editor for the Cameroon Journal, won theLorenzo Natali Grand Prize for a critical investigative report on how UN Climate change negotiations that are calling on nations to switch from fossil fuels to renewable energy are going to affect the development of African communities living where the resources are found with the title Africa’s billions might be buried forever.
8). Dr Jancy James selected for Prof MV Pylee Award for the Distinguished Academician of India:
· Dr Jancy James, the first womanVice Chancellor of Kerala, was selected for theProf MV Pylee Award for the Distinguished Academician of India.
· The award was instituted by Cochin University of Science and Technology in the name ofMV Pylee. He is an Indian scholar, educationist and management guru and widely regarded as the father of management education in Kerala.
· The award is given for excellence in teaching and research and contribution to academic community. It carries an amount of 1 lakh rupees and a citation
· ‘Bajirao Mastani’ was namedBest Film at the 61st Britannia Filmfare awards 2016, held in Mumbai.
· Sanjay Leela Bhansali bagged the Best Director award and Ranveer Singh was named Best Actor for ‘Bajirao Mastani’. Deepika Padukone bagged the Best Actress award for her role in ‘Piku’. Neeraj Ghaywan won the Best Debut Director award for ‘Masaan’.
· TheCoast Guards ofIndia and Japan on15 January 2016conducted their 15th joint exercise off the coast of Chennai.
· India’s Coast Guard vesselSamudra Pehredar and the Japanese vessel Echigo were berthed at Chennai Port for the bilateral training calledSahyog-Kaijin 2016.
· The highlight of the joint exercise was anti-piracy. However, search and rescue operations and interoperability between the two forces was also given emphasis.
· The exercise also involved Indian coast guard ships like Rajkamal, Vishwast, Rajtarang, Hovercraft, C-415, C-417, one Dornier and one Chetak helicopter
· About Sahyog-Kaijin:
· The Sahyog-Kaijin is a bilateral exercise, which is a part of the cooperative arrangements between two Coast Guards for the last 15 years.
· The exercise is also a part of the Memorandum on Cooperation, which was signed between India and Japan in 2006.
· It is a biennial bilateral exercise and the venue shifts in both countries on alternate occasions.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) declared that its spacecraft Juno has broken theSolar Power Distance Record. The solar powered spacecraft of NASA named Juno broke the previous record of travelling farthest distance set by Rosetta spacecraft of the European Space Agency. NASA’s Juno travelled 793 million kilometer to break this record on January 13, 2016. Before this, Rosetta spacecraft of the European Space Agency travelled till 792 million kilometers.
· Juno will be travelling further as it is scheduled to reach the planet Jupiter in July 2016. It is also expected that in 2017 the Juno will be orbiting the Jovian world 33 times, floating within the5,000 kilometers above the Jupiter’s cloud tops in every 14 days.
· Bhaskar Bhathas taken over asChairman of Tata SIA Airlines Ltd (Vistara). He replaced Prasad Menon who retired from the airline.
· As the managing director of Titan since 2002 and founding member of Titan Industries, Bhat has led it to become the largest watch manufacturer in India and the fifth largest in the world.
· Vistara is founded on common values of the Tata group and Singapore International Airlines (SIA).
BANKING AND ECONOMY:
· Reserve Bank has increased its shareholding inNational Housing Bankby contributingRs 1,000 croretowards the paid capital.
· The Reserve Bank has contributed Rs 1,000 crore towards the paid up capital of the National Housing Bank on January 12, 2016, thereby increasing its shareholding in the NHB from Rs 450 crore to Rs 1,450 crore,” RBI said in a release today.
· The move is aimed at facilitating NHB to expand financial operations given the demand for housing in the country.
· RBI had provided for an amount of Rs 1,000 crore during the accounting year 2014-15, specifically towards capital contribution to the NHB, which is its wholly owned subsidiary, it added. “This would help NHB to expand its financial operations as envisaged under the NHB Act, 1987,” RBI said further.
· The China-ledAsian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) was formally opened for business on Saturday, signaling the steady revamp of the global financial architecture, which will also soon incorporate the New Development Bank of the Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa (BRICS) grouping.
· Chinese President Xi Jinping, in his inaugural address saw the launch of the AIIB as “a historical moment.” “Asia’s financing needs for basic infrastructure are absolutely enormous,” Mr. Xi observed. He added that the bank would target investments in “high-quality, low-cost” projects.
· Analysts say that the AIIB is likely to lend anywhere between $10 billion-$15 billion a year during the first five or six years of its existence.
15). World Bank released report titled World Development Report 2016: Digital Dividends:
· The World Bank on 14 January 2016 released a report titledWorld Development Report 2016: Digital Dividends in Washington DC, the USA.
· The report explored the impact of the internet, mobile phones, and related technologies on economic development across the world including India.
· In relation to India, the authors of the report that included Kaushik Basu, Senior Vice President and Chief Economist of World Bank appreciated the Aadhaar scheme as it saved 1 billion US dollars by bringing down corruption
16). Easy Funds, policies key for startups: Arun Jaitley:
· Speaking at the inaugural session ofStart-up India initiative, Finance minister said” easier availability of capital and friendly tax regime” will be key to encouraging entrepreneurship.
· Jaitley called theMUDRA scheme by centre as a similar step to encourage small businesses.
· PM Narendra Modi will launch the Initiative and reportedly reserve 2000 Crore
17). SBI to offer loans to e-commerce sellers:
· State Bank of India announced the launch of‘SBI e-Smart SME’ to provide easy working capital to e-commerce players.
· The bank has initially tied up withSnapdeal to offer loans up to 25 lakhs to its sellers, while it is also planning a similar partnership with Flipkart, Paytm and Amazon, according to SBI’s chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya
18). Manufacturing optimism marginally up: RBI survey
· An RBI-sponsored ‘Industrial Outlook Survey” of the manufacturing sector released showed a “marginal increase in optimism” on the overall business situation for the January-March quarter of 2015-16.
· The survey ,which evaluated responses from 1337 manufacturing companies during however saw a marginal decline in optimism on employment and profit margins.
19). Rupee hits fresh 28-month low against US Dollar:
· Extending losses for the second straight day against theAmerican currency, the Indian rupee slipped to a fresh28 month low of 67.79 against theUS dollar
· Analysts attributed the decline of falling oil prices and negative sentiment in domestic markets leading to persistent foreign capital outflows
· Foreign portfolio investors pumped out$171.71 million from equity markets.
20). RBI fixes gold bond issue price at Rs.2600/gram:
· TheReserve Bank of India has fixed the public issue price of thesovereign gold bonds at 2600/gm, the applications for which are set be accepted Monday onwards
· The issue price for the first tranche of sovereign gold bonds in the scheme was 2684/gram wherein it had got a subscription for 915.95kg gold amounting to 246 crores
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· E-commerce giant Flipkart on Saturday announced an exclusive tie-up with Mahindra& Mahindra Ltd for online bookings of the newly launchedKUV100.
· The bookings for the compact SUV will open from midnight January 18.
· Anil Goteti, Vice President Business, Flipkart said for the first time in the automobile category, the exclusive tie—up will allow Mahindra access Flipkart’s extensive reach and network to connect with their customers and provide them the ease to book Mahindra KUV100 online.
· Flipkart launched automobiles as a category last month.
· Noted filmmakerAnil Ganguly passed away today at his residence here after a brief illness. He was 82.
· Ganguly is a noted director and screenwriter, who worked in Hindi cinema from 1970s to the 90s.
· He is best known for Jaya Bhaduri starrer, “Kora Kagaz” and “Tapasya” both of which won National Award.
· His other notable films are “Saaheb”, ” Trishna”, “Khandaan”, “Humkadam”, “Pyar Ke Kabil”, “Balidan” (Bolidan -1990, Bengali), “Dushman Devta” among others.
· His daughter Rupali Ganguly is a television and theatre actress and his son Vijay Ganguly is a director and choreographer.
· Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis defeat Caroline Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic in three sets to win theSydney International. This was their 30th win in-a-row.
· It was the 11th title together for the Indo-Swiss pair. In 2015, they won nine titles including the year-end WTA Finals. The year 2016 also started on a fabulous note for the duo as they won theBrisbane International title.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here