Daily Current Affairs Updates – 17th February 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1.India successfully test fired Prithvi II missile from Chandipur:
· India successfully test fired itsindigenously developed Prithvi-II missile from the Chandipur, off Odisha coast.
· The medium range missile iscapable of carrying 500 kg to 1000 kg of warheads and is thrusted by liquid propulsion twin engines.
· As part of a user trial,the missile with a strike range of 350 km, the surface-to-surface Prithvi-II test was carried out from a mobile launcher from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range at around 1030 hrs.
2.INS Vikramaditya reach Maldives on 4 day visit:
· India’s largest aircraft carrier, INS Vikramaditya, accompanied by two battleships,INS Mysore and INS Deepak reached Maldives yesterday on a four-day long goodwill visit.
· Maldivian Foreign Minister has termed the visit a powerful symbol of the strength of relationship between India and Maldives.
· Later,Maldivian Defence Minister Adam Shareef Umar Adhi visited the ship and held interactions with the officers.
3.Parliamentary standing committee on commerce invited memorandum on framework of industrial corridors:
· Parliamentary Standing Committee on Commerce has invited memoranda onframework of industrial corridors in Indiaas a part of examination of the subject ‘Industrial Policy in the Changing Global Scenario.
· The committee is currently studying the framework of the policy. The memoranda can be sent to Rajya Sabha Secretariat in New Delhi within 15 days.
4.NHRC seek report from Odisha Government over farmer suicide:
· The National Human Rights Commission has sought an action taken reports from six district Collectors and Superintendent of Police over alleged farmers’ suicide in Odisha.
· The apex human rights watchdog passed the order acting on a petition filed by a Supreme Court lawyer.
5.Tiruchirapalli received best city in behavioural change in swachh Bharat:
· Tiruchirapalli city in Tamil Nadu has received the best city performer in behavioral change communication award from Union Minister of urban Development Venkaiah Naiadu.
· Trichy city commissioner Vijayalakshmi received the award from the Minister in the Swach Sarvekshan function held at Delhi .
· Tiruchirapalli city has shown the way in cleanliness and hygiene. The city got the third clean city award and is among the 15 leader cities alongwith Mysuru, Chandigarh and New Delhi.
6.Nagpur central Prison to provide state bank ATM cards to jail inmates:
· In Maharashtra, Nagpur Central Prison has undertakena novel pilot project with the cooperation of State Bank of India to provide ATM cards to all the inmates for completion of the financial transactions in the jail.
· Around 140 inmates of the Central Prison were given the SBI ATM cards at a special function held recently in the jail premises for internal use.
· The cards were handed over to select inmates by Additional Director General of Police (Prisons) Dr. Bhushan Kumar Upadhyay.
7.Samej Village in Kullu became first smokeless village in Himachal Pradesh:
· Under Union Government’s campaign, theSamej village in Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh, has been made smokeless by the Indian Oil Corporation
· Sarpara Panchayat of Shimla district has also been adopted for the purpose. Mansi, Assistant Manager Sales of Indian Oil Corporation said, nearly 83 percent people are using the LPG in the state and now the company is trying to achieve hundred percent target in this direction.
8.Uber to create 75000 Jobs in Maharashtra:
· Tax Hailing app Uber signed an agreement with Maharashtra Government to generate 75000 Jobs in the state over next 5 years.
· Under the agreement,Uber will train women and people from the Marginalized sectors of the Society to become micro-entrepreneurs.
· The move is a part of governmentsMake in India Scheme
9.Bhopal Police educates Poor Chidren for Free:
· Police at the Bhopal’s Hanumanganj Police Station is offering Free of cost education to poor children in the Slums under a programme called ‘Bal Sanjeevani Paramarsh Kendra’.
· For The purpose a police vehicle picks up children from slums for lessons at the Station.
· Funded by the Bhopal’s police department,the first of its kind school was launched 10 days ago.
10.Haryana, South Korean state of Chungcheonbuk to collaborate on Technology and Development:
· South Korean state of Chungcheonbuk and Haryana agreed to enter into a sister statehood relationship for Development.
· Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar accepted the proposal for such a relationship made by a visiting South Korean delegation.
· The South Korean delegation was led bySection chief of Chungcheongbuk Government Lee iksoo
11.BAE Systems,Mahindra Partner in Howitzer deal:
· BAE Systems announced thatMahindra is their India Partner to Supply 145 M777 Howitzer gunsin the nearly $700 million deal.
· Mahindra will be responsible for the Spares,Maintenance and Ammunition of the UltraLightWeight Artillery gun
12.Supreme Court Upheld Army’s Command Exit Model of Preferential Promotion:
· The Supreme Court upheld the Union Government’sCommand Exit Model (CEM)of preferential promotion. The 2009 CEM aimed at lowering the age of battalion and brigade commanders as well as improvement in career aspirations of military officers.
· While upholding the CEM, theapex court bench of Chief Justice TS Thakur and Kurian Josephdirected the Union Government to create 141 additional posts of colonel for combat support stream to accommodate officers who are eligible for promotions.
13.Yellow fever outbreak reported in Angola:
· In Angola, a yellow fever outbreak has killed 51 people out of 241 suspected cases over last six weeks.
· There is no specific treatment for the viral hemorrhagic disease which is transmitted by infected mosquitoes and found in tropical regions of Africa and Latin America’s Amazon region.
· Authorities have launched a mass vaccination drive targeting about 1.5 million people. Angola lies in the yellow fever belt of Africa where vaccination against the disease is recommended.
14.First China from China to Iran arrived in Tehran through silk road:
· The first train to connect China and Iran has arrived in Tehran, reviving the ancient Silk Road, the Iranian railway company says.
· The train, carrying 32 containers of commercial products from eastern Zhejiang province took 14 days to make the 9,500-kilometre journey through Kazakstan and Turkmenistan.
· The arrival of this train in less than 14 days is unprecedented, said the head of the Iranian railway company, Mohsen Pourseyed Aqayi. He added they are planning to extend the railway to Europe in future.
15.Pakistani province gives legality to Hindu Marriages:
· A province in Pakistan has become the first in the largely Muslim country togive Hindu’s the right to register their marriage.
· The bill was passed by lawmakers in Sindh, home to many of Pakistan’s three million Hindus. Hindus have long called for such a law, citing logistical problems as well as forced conversions, underage marriage, and a lack of rights for widows. The country’s national assembly is also considering a similar law.
16.Saudi Arabia, Russia agree to Freeze Oil output:
· Saudi Arabia and Russia, the World’s largest suppliers of Crude Oil agreed to Freeze output at January levels after talks in Qatar amid falling prices due to excess supply.
· Qatar and Venezuelahave also agreed to freeze their output.
17.Prime Minister Arsenly Yatsenyuk led Ukrainian Government Survived No Confidence Motion:
· Prime Minister Arsenly Yatsenyuk led government in Ukraine survived a no confidence vote hours after thePresident Petro Poroshenkoasked him to step down.
18.Pop-up Urinal introduced in Australia:
· Australia has introduced its First ever pop-up urinal in Perth to discourage men from urinating in Public Areas.
· The hydraulic urinal is a Self Cleaning Unit which is already being used in Many cities in Europe.
19.PF interest Rate hiked to 8.8% for 2015-16:
· Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO)announced an increase in interest rate on Provident Fund (PF) deposits for 2015-16to 8.8% from 8.75% in the previous two fiscals.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
20.India’s Cheapest Smartphone to Cost Rs.251:
· Noida based handset makerRinging Bells will launchIndia’s cheapest smartphone for under Rs.500.
· Called Freedom 251,the Phone will belaunched by Defense Minister Manohar Parikkar.
· 3G Enabled Android Phone a 4’Q HD Display,1GB RAM,32/0.3 Mp Cameras and powered by 1.3Ghz QuadCore Processor.
21.HCL buys Volvo’s external IT Business at $138 million:
· HCL Technologiesacquired Volvo Group’s external IT Business for $138 million in an all cash deal.
· HCL also signed a 5 year IT outsourcing deal with volvo which brings 2500 employees from 11 countries to HCL and 40 new customers to company’s European Arm.
22.Amazon Buys Indian Payments Startup Emvantage:
· Amazon acquired Noida Based Online payments Solution StartupEmvantage Payments.
· Founded in 2012, Emvantage has developed payment solutions including a payment Gateway, mobile wallet and prepaid card solutions.
23.Myntra relaunches its Website:
· Online Fashion and Lifestyle Products retailerMyntra relaunched its mobile websitethat lets users buy products from its platform.
· Last year Myntra shutdown its mobile and desktop sites and switched to the app-only Model.
· However the platform has decided to stick to its Mobile only approach and is not considering to relaunch its desktop Site.
24.Alibaba buys 5.6% stake in GroupOn:
· Chinese e-commerce major Alibaba has bought nearly 33 million shares ofChicago based Online Daily Deal Service GroupOn.
25.Apple announces $12 billion Bond Sale:
· Apple announced it was issuing bonds worth an estimated $12 billion,despite a cash reserve of $215 billion.
· The Bond Issue,the latest in a series of Debt issues,will be used largely to return money to Shareholders without repatriating any of the $177 Billion Apple holds Overseas at a Tax rate lower than that in the US.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
26.Fashion Designer Manish Arora conferred Knight of the Legion of Honour,France Highes Honour:
· Fashion Designer Manish Aroraawarded with theChevalier de la Legion d’Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour), France’s highest Civilian Honour.
· French Ambassdor Francois Richier presented the award to Arora for his renowned and critically acclaimed contribution to the Fashion World.
27.Mary Kom wins Gold Medal in Boxing in South Asian Games:
· India white-washed the Boxing events of the 12th South Asian Games held in India.
· MC Marykom, Sarita Devi and Pooja Rani clinched Gold medals in their respective categories to help India clean sweep Boxing with 10 Gold medals.
· The host nation had won all the seven categories in the Men’s section.The Gold medal winners included Shiva Thapa, L. Devendro Singh, Mandeep Jangra and Vikas Krishan.
28.ICC Cricket for Good and UNICEF launched Team Swachh clinics in partnership with BCCI:
· The International Cricket Council (ICC) Cricket for Good andUnited Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) in partnership with BCCI launched theTeam Swachhclinics during the ICC WT20 Host City Tour.
· The clinics were launched at theHPCA Stadium in Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh.
· The step was taken to promote a nationwide initiative that aims to build a social movement for sanitation and toilet use there by leading to an open-defecation-free India.
· After Dharamshala, the ICC World T20 Host City Tour will visit each of the venues that will host matches of the showpiece event.
29.India Crowned Overall South Asian Games Champion:
· India was crowned the Overall Champion at the 12th South Asian Games after finishing top with arecord 308 medals including 188 Gold, 90 Silver and 30 Bronze Medals.
· Srilanka came Second with an overall tally of 186 medals followed by Pakistan with 106.
30.Indian Railways won 36th National Chess Team Championship:
· Indian Railwayswon the 36th National Chess team championship inBhubaneswar, Odisha.
· For the Indian Railways team it was theFirst ever title.To win the Championship the team defeated Life Insurance Corporation(LIC) team in the Final.
31.Former UN Secretary General General Boutros Boutros Ghali died:
· TheFormer United Nations Secretary General Boutros Boutros Ghali passed away inCairo,Egypt. He was 93.
· He served as UN Chief from January 1992 to December 1996 and became the first secretary general to be deprived of a second term as he struggled to impose the UN’s Writ in a post cold war world.
· He was the First African to hold the Position. He helped secure peace deals between Israel and Egypt.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here