Daily Current Affairs Updates– 17th January 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· TheMadhya Pradesh government has inked a pact withInternational Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, to setup the world’slargest single sitesolar energy plant.
· The750 MW Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Power Project will be setup in Gurh Tehsil ofRewa District over a 1500 hectare area at an estimated cost of 4500 crore
· At the official launch of the‘Start up India’ programme,PM Modi announced that profits of startups set up after1st April 2016, shall be exempted from income tax for a period of three years.
· He announced80% rebate on filing of patents for startups. Modi also added that a dedicated fund of10000 crore will be created
3. Union Government launched 4 mobile Health services to strengthen public health infrastructure:
· Union minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Naddalaunched 4 mobile health (m-Health) services to provide citizen-centric health services.
· These m-Health services areKilkari, Mobile Academy, M-Cessation and TB Missed call initiative.
4. Haryana records 900+ girls in sex ratio at birth:
· For the 1st time in Haryana, the sex ratio at birth has crossed the900 mark with903 girls per 1000 boys as per records forDecember 2015
· Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar announced this historical moment for Haryana as he set a target for achieving sex ratio above 950 in the coming six months.
· Prime MinisterNarendra Modi surpassed ActorShah Rukh Khan to become the 2nd most followed Indian on Twitter.
· Modi was followed by17.37 million people, while khan had a total of17.35 million. With a total of 18.9 million followers, actorAmitabh Bachchan continues to remain the most followed Indian on Twitter
· TheWorld Bank has extended an assistance of$20 million for thereconstruction and eco-development of theIndira Gandhi Zoological Park in Vishakhapatnam.
· This is the first time that the global lender is directly involved with a zoo and also it is a part of the banks$250 million assistance for the damage caused by cyclone HudHud in 2014
7. CIC asks varsities to charge Rs.2 for answer sheet:
· TheCentral Information Commission (CIC) has directed universities and examining bodies to charge not more than Rs..2 per page when giving out copies of evaluated answer scripts to students.
· Tsai Ing wen of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) was elected as the president of Taiwan, becoming the country’sfirst female president.
· Tsai defeated Eric Chu of the Kuomintang party by around 3 million votes, registering the second ever victory of the DPP in the country
9. Economic Sanctions against IRAN lifted:
· The world powers lifted economic sanctions againstIran after it had agreed to impose curbs on itsnuclear programme.
· Iran’s assets were unfrozen and companies across the world can now do business with the country
· Chinese scientists developed a newbio-artificial liver device that can help liver failure patients survive a bit longer for anorgan transplant. Interestingly, this new bio-artificial liver was designed fromhuman liver cells.
· The findings about the development of this new bio-artificial liver device were published in the latest issue of international science magazineCell Research on January 15, 2016. The team behind this research was comprised of scientists from theShanghai Institute for Biological Sciences and doctors from Nanjing Drum Tower Hospital.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· During the Startup India eventSoftBank groupCEO Masayoshi Son announced that the companywill increase their Indian investments from last year’s$2 billion to$10 billion in the coming year.
12. Jet Airways and Bangkok Airways entered into Frequent Flyer Partnership:
· Mumbai basedJet Airways entered into aFrequent flyer partnership withBangkok Airways
· The partnership came into force with the tie upof award winning loyalty and rewards management programme of Jet Airways namedJet Privilege andFlyerbonus, the loyalty scheme of Bangkok Airways.
· Analjit Singh resigned as the chairman of Max Financial Services ltd following the demerger of Max India Ltd.,
· He will continue to serve as Chairman of Max Ventures and Industries ltd.,
· State Bank of India proposed to raise up toRs.15000 crore from various means including public offer and overseas issuance of shares, in the next 14 months, to meet theBasel III norms.
· SBI had earlier revealed plans tomonetize non-core assets to raise capital for meeting the global risk norms, which will be effective from March 2019
15. Gold prices rise Rs.340 to hit over 2-month high:
· Gold prices surgedby 340 to hit an over 2 month high of26550 per ten grams at the bullion market.
· The upside in the gold prices was supported by positive global cues, a wedding season triggered jewellery demand hike, and a weaker rupee, which plunged to fresh 28 month low of 67.59 against the dollar
· TheDepartment of Posts (DoP) is planning to open1000 ATM’s and bring all 25000 departmental post offices under Core Banking System (CBS) by March this Year.
· CBS will enable their customers to operate their accounts and avail banking services from any post office on the CBS Network, regardless of where they maintain their account
17. India ranks first in Business Operation:
· India ranks first in business optimism, according to Grant Thornton International Business Report, a quarterly global survey of 2580 business leaders across 36 nations.
· As per thesurvey 89% Indian respondents expect economic recovery, owing to a stable government, recent policy announcements and regulatory changes.
· India was followed byIreland (88%) andPhilippines (84%) in Business Optimism
· Saddledwith debt worthRs. 40,000 crore, Air India has reportedly Sought nearly 4300 crore from the government as part of the Budget Wish list for the 2106-17 fiscal
· The airline is surviving on a 30231 crore bailout package extended by UPA government in 2012.
· Under theTurnaround Plan (TAP), which runs till March 2021,it has already received 22,280 crore.
19. MakeMyTrip being probed for 75 crore Tax evasion:
· TheCentral Excise department has filed a tax evasion case against online travel companyMakeMyTrip for not depositing around75 crore service tax collected for renting out hotel rooms.
· The Probe found that many hotels that have agreements withMakeMyTripwere not registered with service tax Authorities
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· Easterine Kire, a poet, novelist and children’s writer fromNagaland won TheHindu Prize, 2015.
· Ms. Kire won for her novel ‘When the River Sleeps’, a book about a lone hunter seeking a heart stone in a faraway sleeping river and fighting all odds to get it.
· The award was given away by author Alexander McCall Smith on Saturday afternoon at the ongoing Lit for Life event organised by The Hindu at Sri Mutha Venkatasubba Rao Concert Hall, Chetpet.
21. India attains Top Spot in ICC Test rankings:
· India was ranked number one in the latestTest rankings released by the ICC following South Africa’s Seven defeat against England
· India has achieved the top spot for the first time since August 2011.
22. Broad’s spell helps England clinch Test Series:
· England defeated South Africa by7 wickets on the third day of the third test in Johannesburg to take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the four match series.
· Stuart Broad picked up six wickets to help England dismiss the South African lineup at 83.
· It was south Africa’s second lowest total since their readmission in International cricket in 1992
· Indian BatsmanVirat Kohli, while playing against Australia in the third ODI, became thefastest cricketer to score 7,000 runs in ODIs. He achieved this feat in 161 international matches.
· The record was previously held by South African Captain AB de Villiers, who reached the milestone in 166 matches.
· Virat Kohli also became the fastest batsman to score 24 ODI Centuries.
24. Australia clinched the ODI Series against India:
· Australia defeated India by 3 wickets in Third ODI to take an unassailable lead 3-0 in the 5 match ODI series
· TheBoard of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) banned the on tour Indian Cricket Team from visiting casinos in Australia, as a pro active image building measure.
· Martin Guptill and Kane Williamson set the highestT20I partnership of 171 runs to lead New Zealand to a 10 wicket win in the second T20I.
· The previous highest partnership of 170 was made by Loots Bosman and Graeme smith against England in 2009.
· Guptill scored 87 of 58 balls while Williamson scored 72 of 48 balls.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here
/ 5. Reviews