Daily Current Affairs Updates– 18th December 2015:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· TheUniversity of South Florida (USF) has announced a postgraduate fellowship in the name of former presidentDr. APJ Abdul Kalam to support accomplished and talented Indian students looking to study abroad.
· Afghanistan has become the164th WTO member and the36th least developed country (LDC) to join the global trade body after 11 years of negotiations.
· The landlocked Asian country expects to reap the benefits of the WTO membership for its post-conflict reconstruction.
3). UNSC adopts resolution to cut off supply of funds to ISIS, Al-Qaeda
· The resolution was adopted at the first-ever meeting ofFinance Ministers of the UNSC.
· This meeting was presided over byTreasury Secretary Jack Lew of the United States, which holds its monthly presidency.
· The 15-member body called for enhanced actions, from closing financial system loopholes to stopping the abuse of charitable causes, as well as updating the existing ISIS and Al-Qaeda Sanctions List.
· TheNational Stock Exchange (NSE) has launched three separate indices on three corporate houses of India.
· The three separate indices areNifty Tata Group Index, Nifty Aditya Birla Group Index and Nifty Mahindra Group Index.
5).Tata Starbucks appoints Sumi Ghosh as its CEO
· The announcement came afterAvani Davda resigned from the position ofCEO of the Seattle-based coffee chain.
· Tata Starbucks Limited is a 50:50 joint venture company, owned by Tata Global Beverages and Starbucks Corporation, which owns and operates Starbucks outlets in India.
· Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas appointeda single-member committee to look into the dispute between Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) and Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) on Krishna Godavari (KG) gas fields.
· The committee will be headed by the Chairman of the 20th Law Commission of India Justice (retd)Ajit Prakash Shah.
· Former Defence SecretaryR.K. Mathur has been appointed asChief Information Commissioner (CIC), breaking away from the convention of appointing the head from among the serving Information Commissioners.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· Poetry: Brajendra Kumar Brahma (Bodo), Dhian Singh (Dogri), Ramdarash Mishra (Hindi), K.V. Tirumalesh (Kannada), Kshetri Rajan (Manipuri) and Ram Shankar Awasthi (Sanskrit).
· Short stories: Kula Saikia (Assamese), Man Mohan Jha (Maithili), Gupta Pradhan (Nepali), Bibhuti Pattanaik (Odia), Maya Rahi (Sindhi) and Volga (Telugu).
· Novels: Cyrus Mistry (English), Jaswinder Singh (Punjabi) and MadhuAcharya ‘Ashawadi’ (Rajasthani).
· Essays: Rasik Shah (Gujrati) and A. Madhavan (Tamil).
· Plays: UdayBhembre (Konkani), RabilalTudu (Santali).
· Books on criticism: Bashir Bhadarwahi (Kashmiri) and Shamim Tariq (Urdu). Memoirs: ArunKhopkar (Marathi).
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
9).Fokker Technologies partners Aequs to make parts for Boeing helicopter:
· Under the agreement, signed at the Boeing India Supplier Conference in Hyderabad, Aequs will supply machined detail parts made in India for the heavy lift helicopter.
· On its part, Fokker Technologies will build the parts into final sub-assemblies in facilities in Papendrecht, The Netherlands.
10).DAC gives nod to purchase of Russian S-400 Air Defence Missile Systems
· Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has cleared the purchase of Russian advance S-400 TriumAir Defence Missile Systems at an estimated cost of 40,000 crore rupees.
· Decision in this regard was taken by DAC meeting chaired by Union Defence MinisterManohar Parrikar in New Delhi.
11). Veteran Communist leader Noorul Huda passes away
· Huda, aMuslim Meitei Manipuri, was a member of the Central Committee (CC) of the CPI (M) for nearly three decades.
· He was also member of the Assam State Assembly from 1978 to 1983.
· He was arailway employee who hailed fromVijayawada city.
· Mr. Sriramulu was awarded ‘Best Actor’ twice by Andhra Nataka Kala Parishad and was also a recipient of Central Government’s Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1982.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here