Daily Current Affairs Updates– 18th January 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· India was elected to the first ever 12 member board of the newly launched Asian Infrastructure investment Bank (AIIB).
· The China sponsored AIIB has a capital of $100 billion to invest in energy, transport, education and healthcare sectors.
· India is the second largest stakeholder in AIIB with 7.5%voting shares. AIIB was formally launched with 57 founding members.
2). FDI in food processing likely to rise by 25%:
· Union MinisterHarsmirat Kaur Badal said that the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in food processing is likely to grow by over 25%.
· She attributed it to the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India’s efforts to ease product approvals.
3). NITI Aayog collaborated with IDFC for enterprise survey of Manufacturing Firms:
· NITI Aayog announced that itcollaborated with IDFC for enterprise survey of Manufacturing Firms.
· The Objective of this survey is to assess the business regulatory environment in each state and Union Territories and identify policies and regulatory hurdles faced by business in the states/UT’s
· London Based marathon Runner,Fauja Singh set a milestone as he took part in the2016 Mumbai Marathon at the age of 104.
· The Punjab born Marathon runner took up running at the age of 89 and is nicknamed ’The Turbaned Tornado’.
· The Marathon was won byKenya’s Gideon Kipketer (Men)andEthiopia’s Shuko Genemo (Women)
5). India’s Dinesh Sharma elected to Board of Directors of AIIB:
· India’s Dinesh Sharma elected 12 members Board of Directors of AIIB;it is the first board of directors of AIIB in which 57 nations are founding members including India.
· The inaugural meeting of the board of governors of the AIIB was held in Beijing after its Formal Launch.
· Union Finance Minister of India ARUN JAITLEY is the designated governor of the AIIB from the country; however he was represented by Sharma at the meeting.
· Sharma is currently serving as the Additional Secretary of Ministry of Finance
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
6). Asian Shares slide to lowest levels since 2011:
· Asian Shares slid to their lowest levels since late 2011 amid falling oil Prices, which stoked further worries about a global economic downturn.
· MSCI’s broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan fell 1% in early trade extending its fall so far this month to over 115.
· Japan, Saudi Arabia and other emerging markets also witnessed a slump
7). Netflix to spend $5 Billion this year on content:
· Chief Content Officer of Netflix,Ted Sarandoshas announced the company will spend 5 billion this year on content and will increase the number of family and children shows.
· Anil Ambani’s Reliance Communication (R-com) and Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio Infocomm (R-Jio)signed a spectrum sharing deal to enable faster rollout of 4G services.
· Under the strategic collaboration, the 2 companies said they will enter into reciprocalIntra circle roaming (ICR) arrangements
· R-Jiois expected to commercially launch4G services in India.
· The Centralized Processing Centre (CPC) in Bengaluru, the flagship project of Income Tax Department that processes tax returns, has been conferred with the ISO 9001:2008 standard for Quality Management System certificate.
· This is the third ISO certificate CPC is receiving after ISO 27001 in 2014 and ISO 27001 in 2013. The CPC was set up in 2009.
10). Gold Imports double to $3.8 billion in Dec:
· According to a data released by the Commerce Ministry, Gold Imports in December 2015 more than doubled to $3.80 billion as compared to $1.36 billion in the year ago period.
· Meanwhile oil imports declined 33.19% against the year ago period.
11). Wipro net Profit jumps 1.88% to 2234 crore:
· IT consulting major WIPRO witnessed a 2234 crore net profit for the quarter ended December, a 1.88% surge against the corresponding period last year.
· The Company’s revenue jumped 7.23% to 12860 core as against the year ago period
12). IT dept to issue 1148 crore refunds to Taxpayers:
· The Income Tax department is set to issue over 64000 refunds of about 1148 crore to small taxpayers by January end as part of governments directives to address grievances of the taxpayers in claiming their Bonafide dues.
· The refunds pertain to taxpayers where the individual refunds in a case are below 5000 and belong to Assessment years of 2013-14 and 2014-15
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· According to a study, a 36% share of renewable energy mix by 2030 would increase global GDP by nearly $1.3 trillion.
· This would generate millions of jobs and help countries like India which are dependent on importing oil and gas.
· Japanwould see the largest positive GDP impact of 2.3%.followed byAustralia, Brazil and Mexico
· NASA launchedSpaceX Falcon 9 rocket with Jason 3 ocean monitoring satellite from California’s Vandenberg Air Force Base in the USA.
· The rocket carried theocean monitoring satellite Jason-3 on board. The satellite will examine the topography of the ocean floor to help study effects of climate change or human induced changes on the ocean.
· The Government said theMicro Units Development Refinance agency (MUDRA)would not regulate Micro Finance Institutions (MFI) as proposed by the Finance Ministry earlier.
· RBIwill continue to regulate the MFIs registered as Non Banking Finance Companies.
· MUDRA scheme was setup to refinance loans upto 10 lakh to non corporate small borrowers.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· Indian AuthorAnuradha Roy won the prestigious DSC Prize forSouth Asian Literature for her novelSleeping on Jupiter at the Galle Literary festival in Srilanka
· Roy was awarded the prize and a unique trophy bySrilanka PM Ranil Wickremesinghe.
17). 21st Critics choice awards presented in California:
· The 21st Critics choice awards presented in California,TJ Miller hosted the presentation Program
· These awards honour thefinest achievements in drama and television filmmaking.
· The Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA) and Broadcast Television Journalists Association (BTJA)
· The Pune IPL franchise, owned bySanjiv Goenka has chosen the name‘Rising Pune Supergiants’ for the team.
· Captain:MS Dhoni Coach:Stephen Fleming
19). Delhi Acers crowned Premier Badminton League Championships:
· Delhi Acers were crowned the champions if Inaugural edition of the premier Badminton League after they defeated the Mumbai Rockets 4-3 in the final at the DDA Badminton Stadium in New Delhi.
· Brand Ambassador of PBL:Akshay Kumar
20). Wayne Rooney sets Premier League record for most goals for a club:
· Wayne Rooneyset the premier league record for the most number of goals scored for a single club by a player, after scoring the winner against Liverpool.
· He took his tally for Manchester United to 176, surpassing the record which was previously held by former Arsenal Player Thierry Henry (175).
21). Stuart Broad becomes No.1 Test Bowler:
· England fast bowler,Stuart Broad has become the number one test bowler in the world after producing a Man of the Match performance in the 3rd test against South Africa.
· Broad leapfrogged Ravichandran Ashwin to take the top spot in the rankings.
· Joe Rootreclaimed the Second spot in the batsmen’s rankings after scoring his ninth Century
· Veteran BJP leader andFormer Sikkim Governor Ventrapragada Rama Rao passed away in Hyderabad after prolonged illness. He was 80.
· Rao, who was suffering from severe long infection, is survived by his wife, son and daughter in law.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here