Daily Current Affairs Updates– 19th January 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· The Goa Legislative assembly approved reclassification of Coconut tree as Palm,the reclassification was approved by the legislature through the passage of the Goa preservation of Trees (Amendment) Bill 2016.
2. Union Government held First National Stakeholder consultation on BIOFIN Project:
· BIOFIN: Biodiversity Finance Initiative
· The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change held the first national stakeholder consultation meeting on the BIOFIN
· The meeting was organized to understand the BIOFIN project and to seek professional inputs from experts of various fields in strengthening the biodiversity conversation efforts in the country.
· The Union Government decided to institute a new award category under theNational Film awards titled The Most Film Friendly State/UT.
· The new award will be conferred for the first time at the 63rd National Film awards to be held on 3 May 2016.
· The Decision to create a new category of award was taken as part of the government’s effort to promote the Indian film industry and India’s Soft Power
4. Sikkim declared first organic farming state of India:
· Sikkimdeclared as the first organic farming state of India. The declaration was made by the PM Narendra Modi while inaugurating theSikkim Organic Festival 2016 in Gangtok, Sikkim.
· Besides making the declaration, the PM also handed over the organic certificate to Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling.
· On this occasion, he also launched three new orchid species. The new species are
· Cymbidium Sardar
· Cymbidium Deen Dayal
· Cymbidium Namo
§ The Sikkim organic Festival 2016 was held on the sidelines of the 2 day long National Conference on Sustainable Agriculture and Farmers Welfare that began on 17 January 2016.
· The total installed capacity of solar power in India has crossed the milestone of5,000 MW. The Government has set the ambitious target of generating 100 GW of solar power by 2021-22 under the National Solar Mission.
· It is envisaged to generate 60 GW of ground mounted grid-connected solar power and 40 GW through the roof-top grid interactive solar power to fulfill the requirement of 100 GW of solar power. The target for the current year is 2,000 MW and the next year 12,000 MW.
6. NOTA option for ZP, TP polls:
· When elections to 26 zilla panchayats and 175 taluk panchayats will be held on February 13 and February 20, voters will have the option of NOTA (None of the above) forthe first time in rural local body polls.
· Although the Karnataka Panchayat Raj (Amendment) Act 2015 had made provision for NOTA in rural local body elections, the option could not be introduced in the gram panchayat elections held in May.
· Announcing the calendar of events for ZP, TP polls, State Election Commissioner P.N. Srinivasachari told presspersons that NOTA provision had been introduced in the polls this time and all the electronic voting machines (EVMs) will have the option
7. Modi second most popular world leader on FB:
· According to a study by global PR firm Burson-Marsteller,Prime Minister Narendra Modiis the second most popular world leader on Facebook with 31 million followers on his personal page and 10.1 million followers on PMO India’s page.
· US President Barack Obama tops the list with over 46 million Followers. However, Modi has five times more interactive fans than Obama
· In an initiative aimed at quick delivery of government services,Tamilnadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today launched a round-the-clock call centre for ensuring fast response to grievances.The ‘Amma Call Centre’, which will work all through the year, was launched by the Chief Minister here through video-conferencing.
· The latest initiative was aimed at ensuring quick response to people’s grievances where in they can dial toll-free number ‘1100’ at any point of time in the day, a government release here said
· French President Francois Hollande declared “a state of economic and social emergency”as he unveiled a $2.2 billion plan to revive hiring in France and redefine the country’s business model.
· However no new emergency powers over the economy will be introduced.
· Hollande also talked about training jobless workers and giving aid to companies who hire young workers.
10. UNWTO released World Tourism Barometer:
· The World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) released the World Tourism barometer, which reviewed trends in tourism at the regional and global level for 2015 and enumerated prospects for 2016.
· As per the publication, international tourist arrivals grew by 4.4% in 2015 to reach a total of 1184 million in 2015. In numbers, around 50 million more travelers were recorded in 2015 compared to that 2014.
· China witnessed an economic growth of 6.9% in 2015, its slowest pace in a quarter of a century. The Country’s GDP for December quarter stood at 6.8%, its weakest quarterly growth since 2009.
12. China launches first online database on monks’ authenticity
· The system was put in place to counter fake Living Buddha’s, who have been found cheating believers for money.
· For the first time,China launched an online system to check the “authenticity” of top Tibetan Buddhist monks, amid growing incidents of fraud involving religious leaders.
· The first list of 870 verified Tibetan monks, also known as ‘Living Buddha’s’, was published on the official website of the State Administration for Religious Affairs
· Guenter Butschek appointed as Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of India’s biggest auto maker Tata Motors Group.
· Butschek will lead all operations of Tata Motors in India and in International Markets including South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia and South Africa.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· Anil Ambani led Reliance Commercial Finance (RCF) has tied up with e-tailerSnapdeal to offer financing to over 80,000 Snapdeal vendors across India.
· The company is also in talks for similar tie ups with commerce players including Flipkart and Amazon India.
· The new e-commerce centric product will offer customized options to the vendors of e-commerce companies.
15. Uber Partners with Airbus for Helicopter Rides:
· Uberis partnering with aerospace fromAirbusto offer on demand helicopter rides, Users will be able to avail the services at the Sundance Film Festival 2016, to be held in UTAH from Jan 21 to Jan 31, where airbus will provide its H125 and H130 helicopters for a trial project.
· Uber will also send a car to pick passengers up for the Chopper ride.
16. E-Comm enabler Kart Rocket secures $6 million Funding:
· Delhi based e-commerce platform enabler Kart Rocket raised $6 million from Bertelsmann India Investments and existing investors Nirvana Digital India Fund ,Nirvana Digital Investment holding.
· 500 Startups and Singapore based Beenext also participated in the round.
· Founded bySaahil Goel, Gautam Kapoor and Vishesh Kurana, Kart Rockethelps small retailers and SME’s start their own online store.
17. Patanjali sales ma cross 1k crore by 2017: Biyani:
· Future Group CEO Kishore Biyani said that he aims the sales of Patanjali products to cross 1000 crore by next year.
· Future Group is already witnessing sales of 30 crore per month. Baba Ramdev’s Patanjali had entered into a partnership with the Future Group, making its products available in Big Bazaar outlets across India.
· Whatsapp will stop charging users with its yearly subscription fee of $1 over the 1next several weeks.
· Whatsapp Founder:Jan Koum
19. CORP-ACQM Mind tree acquired a Sales force Platinum Consulting Partner Magnet 360:
· Mind treesigned a definitive agreement to acquire Magent 360, a Sales force Platinum consulting partner. It was a deal to accelerate leadership in cloud computing and digital transformation.
· The Justice RV Easwar led committee on simplification of Income Tax laws recommended the reduction of Tax deduction at Source (TDS) for individuals and Hindu Undivided Families (HUF).
· It has proposed the reduction of the rates to 5% as against the present 10%.It also recommended raising the threshold limits for TDS.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
21. Six children from Kerala State among bravery award winners
· Eight children from the southern part of the country, includingsix from Kerala and two from Telengana, are among the 25 National Bravery award winners this year.
· The winners will receive the award, a medal, a certificate and cash price from Prime Minister Narendra Modi at his residence on January 24. The award recipients will also participate in the Republic Day parade on January 26.
· One of the six winners from Kerala is Aromal SM (12), who saved two children from drowning in a 14-feet deep pond. Aromal has been honoured with the Bapu Gaidhani award.
· Chris Gayle equaled the record for fastest fifty in T20 as he scored his half century off 12 balls, thus sharing the record with Indian all-rounder Yuvraj Singh.
· Gayle achieved the feat for the Melbourne Renegades against the Adelaide strikers in the Australian Big Bash League.
· Yuvraj smashed 50 off 12 balls against England in 2007 T20 World Cup.
23. Ajit Chandila, Hiken shah banned for IPL spot-Fixing:
· Ajit Chandila of Rajasthan Royals and Hiken Shah of Mumbaihave been handed a lifetime ban and a five year ban respectively for their roles in the IPL spot fixing scam.
· Chandila was part of the 2013 spot fixing case; shah was earlier suspended by BCCI for being found guilty for approaching a cricketer for match-fixing.
· Ronnie O’Sulivan won his sixth Snooker Masters title after defeating Barry Hawkins 10-1 in the final at the Alexandra Palace in London.
· He had previously won the events in1995,2005,2007,2009,2014 equaling the record set by Stephen Hendry
· Renowned Kannada lyricist and film maker GeethaPriya died of cardiac arrest in Bengaluru. He was 84 and survived by wife, son and 2 daughters.
· He Penned lyrics for over 250 songs in Kannada and directed 40 films including one Hindi Film.
· Glenn Frey, a founding member and guitarist of the Eagles, one of the most popular and commercially successful artists of the 1970s, passed away. He was 67.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here