Daily Current Affairs Updates – 20th February 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1. Kalikho Pul Sworn in as Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister:
· Kalikho Pulwas sworn in as the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh,hours after the President’s rule was lifted in the State.
· Pul was the State Finance Minister from 2003 to 2007.
2. Maharashtra to form Policy for Safe organ Transport:
· Maharashtragovernment decidedto formulate a policy on ‘Green Corridor’ and appoint a nodal officer to ensure smooth transportation of harvested organs within a specified time.
· The Policy aimed at negating hurdlesfaced by police over jurisdiction, obtaining NoC’s and appointing counsellors to convince families of brain-dead patients to donate Organs.
3. PM Modi,PM Oli inaugurates Power line for Nepal:
· PM Narendra Modiand hisNepalese counterpart KP Sharma Oliinaugurateda power transmission line connecting Nepal’s Dhalkebar and Muzaffarpur in Bihar
· The Power Line will allow nepal to import upto 80 Mega Watts of electricity from India at 3.45 per unit.
4. Union Government nod for building of 82000 houses for poor in urban areas of 163 cities:
· The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviationsanctioned construction of aroundeighty two thousand houses for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) in urban areas of 163 cities.
· The cities are inWest Bengal, Telangana, Bihar, Mizoram, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Uttarakhand. State wise number of houses sanctioned
5. Supreme Court refused to disclose data on pending cases under RTI:
· The Supreme Court of India dismissed a plea presented to it asking the Supreme Court to maintain a data on the pending judgements and make the information public under the Right To Information (RTI) Act.
· The Supreme Court dismissed the plea presented by RTI activist Lokesh Batra on February 15, 2016 while upholding a previous decision by the Delhi High Court.
6. Government to establish a National Board for promotion of Yoga and Naturopathy:
· Minister for AYUSH Shripad Naik has said that Government will soon establish a National Board for promotion of Yoga and Naturopathy.
· AddressingAYUSH Minister’s conference in New Delhi,Mr Naik said, Cabinet approval to the agreement for collaborative activities to be signed in the area oftraditional medicine between Ministry of AYUSH and World Health Organization.
· In Gujarat, the leader of Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti Hardik Patel has started an indefinite fast in the Lajpore central jail of Surat from yesterday. \
· He is in jail in connection with a sedition case. According to jail authorities, Hardik Patel had written a letter threatening to start indefinite fast from 20th February, but suddenly started it from February 18, 2016.
8. Jharkhand raises MLA’s local area development fund:
· Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghuvar Das has said that theMLA’s local area development funds has been increased from present three crores to four croresrupees a year.
· Presenting the annual budget in state assembly a short while ago as Minister in charge of Finance, he said that the procedure for withdrawal of this MLA areas development fund has been simplified and instead of district DDOs, a new DDO would be appointed in each Assembly constituency for smooth withdrawal of the fund.
· Haryana Chief minister Manohar lal Khattarsaid that a committee formed tostudy the whole issue will submit its report by March 31, 2016.
· The Jat community has been demanding inclusion in the list of other backward classes and reservation in Government jobs and educational institutions.
10. Government asks Assam Government to implement Food security act:
· Ram Vilas Paswan, Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution has urged theAssam Government to speed up implementation of Food Security Actso that about 84 per cent of rural and 60 per cent of urban population in the State can get rice at Rs 3 per kg and wheat at Rs 2 per kg.
· He said that the implementation of the Act was delayed in the State as digitization of records of beneficiaries which is mandatory for the implementation of the Act was not done by the State.
· The Malaysian Government has placed a freeze on foreign workers,Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidiannounced.
· He said the government has made the decision to freeze the intake of all foreign workers, including those from Bangladesh. Mr Ahmad Zahid appealed to all employers to hire domestic workers.
12. Former Chief Justice of Sri Lanka acquitted and released:
· Sri Lanka’s former Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayaka has been acquitted and released from the case filed by the Bribery Commission.
· Ms Bhandaranayake was controversially impeached during the presidency of Mahinda Rajapaksa and charged of corruption for failure to accurately declare her assets and liabilities.
· Study published in the journal Ophthalmology Nearly five billion people, that is about half the world’s population, are poised to become myopic or short-sighted by the end of 2050, indicates a study.
· Also called nearsightedness, myopia is a vision condition in which people can see clearly the objects that are close to eyes but objects far away appear to be blurred to the sight.
14. Six Indian Americans to be awarded the Presidential Early Career award for scientists and engineers in USA:
· The Government of USA announced the names of the recipients of the Presidential Early Career Award for scientists and engineers
· As per the names announced, Six Indian-Americans among a group of 106 scientists and engineers will be honoured by the President of United States of America (USA) Barack Obama with a prestigious award.
· Pakistani authorities have lodged an FIR into the Pathankot terror attack case.According to official sources in Islamabad, the FIR was registered at Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) centre at Gujranwala in Punjab province.
16. Nepal decided to constitute 11-member political committee over provincial demarcations:
· Nepal Governmentdecidedto constitute an 11-member-political committee to study the demarcation of federal states on the constitution.
· It will also review the disputed provisions within the country’s new constitution that was adopted on 20 September 2015.
· The 11-member will be chaired by the Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Kamal Thapa and will also include representatives from the agitating Madhesis. Moreover, the committee will decide its terms of reference (ToR) on its own.
· The full shape to the committee will be given after Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli is back from his visit to India that started on 19 February 2016.Oli is on his first foreign visit since he became prime minister in October 2015.
· The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) revised the guidelines for the NBFC’s (Non-Banking Financial Companies).
· The Reserve Bank also rejected the plea of the NBFC’s to sell National Pension Schemes. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced revisions in the policy regarding credit, Non-performing assets, and reporting of frauds.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
18. Aditya Birla,Idea form JVfor payments Bank:
· Aditya Birla Nuvoannounced the Formation of joint Venture withIdea Cellularto form aPayments bank.
· Such Bank can offerinternet banking and initially collect deposits upto 1 lakh per individual.
· The RBI gave ‘in-Principle’ approval to 11 entities to form payment banks last year including Reliance Industries, Tech Mahindra and Vodafone.
· The Finance Minister of West Bengal Amit Mitra was named thechairman of the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers on Goods and Services Tax (GST).
· Mitra will succeed Kerala Finance Minister K M Mani who had to resign in November 2015 over corruption charges.
20. Kajol made Prasar Bharati Board part-time member:
· Actress Kajolwas appointed as a part-time member of the Prasar Bharati Board.
· The 41 year old actress will reportedly serve on the Board till november 2021.
· PaytmappointedShinjini Kumaras itspayments bank Chief Executive Officer.
· She is currently serving as Director at PricewaterHouseCoopers(Pwc), Kumar is also a former Reserve Bank of India Executive.
22. Christine Lagarde elected as IMF Chief for Second Time:
· International Monetary Fund (IMF) announced the re-election of its current managing directorChristine Lagarde for a Second 5 year term.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
23. Indian-origin Ashutosh Tiwari-led Utah Engineers discovered 2D Semiconducting Material made of Tin Monoxide:
· Engineers belonging to the University of Utah, the USA, discovered a new kind of 2D semiconducting material for electronics that is made up of the elements tin and oxygen or tin monoxide (SnO).
· The discovery was made by a team of engineers led by Indian-Orgin Ashutosh Tiwari and published online on 15 February 2016 in the journal Advanced Electronic Materials.
· The only one atom thick 2D SnO material allows electrical charges to move through it much faster than conventional 3D materials such as silicon and will facilitate development of much speedier computers and smartphones.
24. Scientists discovered five Jupiter-like Planets:
· The team, led by Pierre Maxted of the Keele University in Staffordshire of UK,discoveredfive new Jupiter-like planets that orbits very close to their host stars.
· The planets were studied in their light curve by using the Wide Angle Search for Planets-South (WASP-South) instrument—an array of eight cameras observing selected regions of the southern sky.
· The instrument is located at the site of theSouth African Astronomical Observatory (SAAO), outside Sutherland in South Africa.
· Microsoft has launched free group video calling feature on Skype for mobile phones and Tablets.
· The company has started rolling out feature on both Android and iOS in Western Europe and North America,with a world wide roll out expected to be complete by March.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· The Command Hospital (Eastern Command), Kolkata, was awarded with theBest Service Hospital.
· The Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar presented the trophy and citation to the hospital’s Commandant Major General TS Ahluwalia in the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) in Kolkata.
· The trophy for the Second Best Hospital was presented to INHS Asvini, Mumbai,which was received by its Commandant Surgeon Rear Admiral AA Pawar.
· Indian women cricket team whitewashed Sri Lanka in the three-match ODI series.
· In third and final One Day International at JSCA International Stadium in Ranchi today, Indian Eves defeated the visitors by seven wickets with 20.3 overs to spare. India won the series 3-0.
28. BCCI to file affidavit in Supreme Court against implementation of Lodha panel report:
· In its Special General Meeting held at Cricket Centre in Mumbai ,the members of Board for Cricket Control in India have unanimously authorizied its Secretary Mr. Anurag Thakur to file an affidavit in the Supreme Court on the anomalies and difficulties encountered in implementation of Justice Lodha Committee’s recommendations.
· New Zealand Captain Brendon McCullum Scored the fastest Century in Test History in 54 balls while playing his farewell test against Australia in Christchurch.
· McCullum broke the 56-ball record jointly held by Vivian Richards and Misbah Ul Haq.
· McCullum also surpassed Adam Gilchrist for the record of Most Sixes in Test Matches (106).
30. South Africa defeated England in 1st T20I:
· South Africadefeated England by 3 wickets in first T20I.
· Man of the Match- Imran Tahir (South Africa)
· Indian Men Defeated Malaysian Men 3-2 in thequarter-finals of the Badminton-Asia Team Championships in Hyderabad to go through the Semi-finals of the Tournament.
· American novelist,most known for Pulitzer Prize winning novel‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ passed away at the age of 89 in US.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here
/ 5. Reviews