Daily Current Affairs Updates– 20th May 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
JP Nadda launches Centre for Environmental Health to assess environmental impact on health:
· The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda launched the Centre for Environmental Health in New Delhi.
· The centre was launched to assess the impact of environment-related problems like air pollution, climate change, pesticide use and sanitation on health.
President of India inaugurated IOC in Rashtrapati Bhavan:
· The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated an Intelligent Operations Centre and launched a Mobile App ‘Monitor’ for transformation of President’s Estate into a smart township at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
· This facilities will help the residents of the Estate become more socially responsible, aware and collaborative.
· The solution designed by IBM which helps collect and make sense of the rich data streaming in from several sources within the Estate to provide intelligent insights.
· This application is a collaboration tool of the Intelligent Operation Center.
· This will help residents and Energy, Water, Horticulture, Waste and Security supervisors to collaborate in a smarter way for their observations.
India and Slovenia have signed Protocol amending the India-Slovenia Double Taxation Avoidance Convention:
· India and Central European country Slovenia have signed a protocol to amend an existing double taxation avoidance treaty.
· This agreement will widen the scope of the existing framework of exchange of tax related information.
· The protocol was signed by Indian ambassador to Slovenia Sarvajit Chakravarti, and Slovenian Finance Minister Dusan Mramor on behalf of Slovenia.
· The framework is likely to help curb tax evasion and tax avoidance between the two countries and also enable mutual assistance in collection of taxes.
ü Capital: Ljubljana
ü Currency: Euro
BHEL Commissions 250 Mw Thermal Unit In Maharashtra:
· State-owned Bharat Heavy Electricals has successfully commissioned 250 MW thermal unit in Maharashtra. This is the eighth coal-based unit commissioned by BHEL at Parli Power Station, in Maharashtra.
· The unit has been commissioned at Parli Thermal Power Station located at Beed district in the Marathwada region of Maharashtra.
· The project is owned by Maharashtra State Power Generation Company.BHEL has commissioned 16,000 MW of power generation capacity in Maharashtra, its highest in any single state.
· In the Performance manner the 200-270 MW rating class sets supplied by BHEL form the backbone of the Indian power sector and have been performing much above the national as well as international Standards.
· India has sent two Naval ships, with relief materials to Sri Lanka, which is hit by cyclone Roanu.
· The Naval ships, INS Sunayna and INS Sutlej, have been sent to the Colombo coast from the Southern Naval Command Kochi.
· At least 18 people have reportedly been killed and 200 families missing in the rains and landslides caused by the cyclone.
Government takes measures to set up science cities, science centres:
· With an aim to encourage science and technology incubators, the government will soon launch a hub and spoke model to set up science cities and science centres across the country.
· Union Minister Y S Chowdary said while inaugurating anASSOCHAM Summit on ‘India: Entrepreneurial, Creative& Innovative’.
· PM Narendra Modi is to address nation through ‘Mann ki Baat’ (20th edition of the programme) on May 22.
· The programme will be broadcast by the All India Radio.
· People can share their thoughts in MyGov Open Forum and can also dial the toll free number – 1800-11-7800.
Virbhadra Singh launches PEHAL in Shimla:
· Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh launched ‘PEHAL’ – a vision document of the Shimla District administration for raising education standards.
· The aim of the programme is to identify certain thrust areas which have a direct bearing on the lives of the people at grassroots.
· Five areas identified under PEHAL is Primary Education, Forest Rights, Health and Sanitation, Campaign against drugs and skill development and Women Empowerment.
ü Himachal Pradesh Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat
ü Himachal Pradesh Capital: Shimla
· Rashtrapati Bhavan has partnered with IBM to transform the Presidential Estate into a smart township.
· IBM has setup an Intelligent Operations Center (IOC) to monitor and enhance the efficiency of critical infrastructure and utilities at Presidential Estate spread across 330 acres of land.
Taj Mahal in top 5 tourist attractions in the world and Second position in Asia: Survey
· Most Iconic wonders of the world, The Taj Mahal has been surveyed as top five tourist spots in the world and Second in Asia,Surveyed by Travel Planning and Booking site TRIP advisor.
· No: 1 – Machu Picchu in Peru
· No: 2 – Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi
· Trip Advisor India Country Manager Nikhil Ganju expressed that India has a rich Cultural History and Architectural landmarks that built and recognized on the world stage.
· A two-day International Buddhist conference to remember the2,560th birth anniversary of Lord Buddha began
· Inaugurated by Nepal Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli
· Theme: Lumbini, Nepal: the birth place of Lord Buddha and the fountain of Buddhism and world peace
· One of the Monks from India who delegated the conference expressed that India’s Emperor Ashoka and Indian Scholar BR Ambedkar have played major role in spreading the message of Lord Buddha
Beijing-New Delhi Yoga Conference opens in China
· Chinese yoga practitioners gathered in large numbers over 1,000 for a group performance in Kunming in China to open the China-India Yoga Conference.
· The five day conference to be held between May 18 and 22 will feature activities including courses from Indian yoga masters and yoga introductions for communities.
· The Yoga gathering was organised by the Foreign Affairs and Overseas Chinese affairs offices and the China-India Yoga College in Kunming.
ü Capital: Beijing
ü Currency: Renminbi
ü President: Xi Jinping
· IFS officer A V S Ramesh Chandra Presently High Commissioner of India to Uganda, has been appointed as the Ambassador of India to Romania.
· He Joined Indian Foreign Service in August 1989. He did Master’s Degree in Veterinary Science majoring in Dairy Technology from Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University (APAU) in Hyderabad.
ü Capital: Kampala
ü Currency: Ugandan shilling
Indian journalist Philip Abraham elected as Deputy Mayor in United Kingdom:
· Indian journalist and Councillor Philip Abraham was elected unanimously as the Deputy Mayor of Loughton town in the United Kingdom.
· Councillor Abraham was presented with the Deputy Mayor’s Badge by Carol Davis, the newly-elected mayor.
· V K Krishna Menon was the first person from Kerala to become a Councillor in Britain. He was a Labour Councillor for the Borough of St Pancras from 1934 to 1939.
· Tsai Ing-wen was sworn in as Taiwan’s first woman president, with the export-driven economy on the ropes and wary Communist Party rulers in China watching for any move towards independence by an island it considers its own.
· Tsai’s Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) won parliamentary and presidential elections by a landslide on voter backlash against creeping dependence on China.
Binali Yildirim set to be Turkey’s new prime minister:
· Turkey’s governing party formally tapped Binali Yildirim as its candidate to lead the party and become the country’s next premier.
· The government is likely to appointInternational Finance Corporation official Sujoy Bose as the first chief executive officer (CEO) of the Rs 40,000-crore National Investment and Infrastructure Fund.
· SBI’s subsidiary Nepal SBI Bank has launched payment gateway to facilitate online trade and non-trade transactions between the Himalayan nation and India.
· Under this payment gateway customer of Nepal SBI Bank can utilise various features of mobile banking and other value added services.
· The Payment Gateway was inaugurated bySBI Managing Director B Sriram, and Indian Ambassador to Nepal Ranjit Rae.
· The lender also handed over a cheque for Rs 5.21 crore to Nepal Prime Minister K P Oli for PM Natural Disaster Relief Fund.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· Indian American professor Rakesh K Jain received the US National Medal of Science from the US President Barack Obama.
· He received the honour along with 16 other winners of the National Medal of Science and National Medal of Technology and Innovation at a White House ceremony.
· Jain is a professor at Harvard Medical School and Director of the Tumour Biology Laboratory at Massachusetts General Hospital.
· He was selected for the award in December 2015. The award function was initially scheduled for 22 January 2016 but was postponed due to a major snow storm.
Indian-American Rupa Iyer awarded with Highest Teaching Award in US:
· An Indian-American biotechnologist Rupa Iyer was awarded with the University of Houston’s Distinguished Leadership in Teaching Excellence Award, the highest teaching award of United States.
· Iyer was awarded for her sustained and significant contributions to education.
· She is an Associate Dean at Research and Graduate Studies at the University of Houston’s College of Technology.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· Country’s second-largest two wheeler maker Honda Motors Scooter India (HMSI) has partnered with Mumbai based IndusInd Bank to cater retail finance to buyers.
· The company aims to sell over 5 million units in the current fiscal.
· The Lender will provide Finance Assistance to the eligible players also customers of Honda buy a Honda two wheeler at an attractive rate of interest but also can earn benefits of up to Rs 7,500.
· Buyers can avail loan of up to 90% of the product value to be repaid in up to 36 Honda partners with IndusInd Bank for two wheeler financing months. Other benefits include waiver of processing fee and a quick loan approval within an hour.
ü Founded: 1994
ü Headquarters: Mumbai
ü CEO: Romesh Sobti.
Nomura exits mutual fund JV with LIC:
· Tokyo based Nomura financial Services Company has wholly withdrawn its mutual fund joint venture with LIC of India.
· In the aftermath LIC Nomura Mutual Fund has now been renamed LIC Mutual Fund.
· Upon this LIC holds a 45 per cent stake and LIC Housing Finance a 20 per cent stake in the venture, however Japanese firm, Nomura owns 35 per cent shares.
· LIC Nomura Mutual Fund has managed assets of almost Rs. 13.156 crore as of March this year.
ü Headquarters: Mumbai,
ü Chairman: S.K Roy.
· Ratan Tata, Chairman emeritus of Tata Sons, has invested an undisclosed amount in artificial intelligence based chatbot niki.ai.
· Existing investor, Ronnie Screwvala’s Unilazer Ventures, which invested in its seed round last October, also participated.
· Started in 2015 by IIT Kharagpur alumni Sachin Jaiswal, Keshav Prawasi, Nitin Babel, and Shishir Modi, it helps users order services through a chat.
SEBI tightens P-Note norms to check money laundering:
· The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has tightened norms for participatory notes (P-notes or PNs) as part of its efforts to curb money laundering through this route.
· Consumer goods conglomerate ITC will be setting up eight new integrated food processing units by 2019, with investments in excess of Rs 4,000 crore.
Samsung Electronics ties up with Alibaba Group holding to automate Alipay gateway:
· Samsung Electronics said it had struck a deal with an Alibaba Group Holding for owners of its phones to be able to easily make payments with Alipay accounts – a move it hopes will boost sales in the world’s biggest smartphone market.
· Users of Samsung Pay will also have the option of paying with their Alipay accounts without having separately access the Alipay application.
· Alipay, which is operated by Alibaba unit Ant Financial Services Group, has 450 million active registered users.
· Ella Mae Colbert, a 100-year-old retired South Carolina teacher set a new world record for the fastest 100-meter sprint by a 100-year-old.
· Colbert, who completed the 100-meter sprint in 46.79 seconds, broke the 1 minute, 17.33 seconds record previously held by Ida Keeling.
· Notably, Colbert’s first attempt ended with a fall near the starting line, before reattempting the sprint successfully.
Indian reach Uber Cup semis; guarantees medal:
· Indian women’s badminton team defeated fourth-seeded Thailand 3-1 to reach 2016 Uber Cup semi-finals, where they are guaranteed a bronze medal.
· Playing first, Saina Nehwal lost to world number two Ratchanok Intanon 12-21, 19-21. Victories for PV Sindhu and the Jwala Gutta-Ashwini Ponappa pair gave India a 2-1 lead, before Ruthvika Shivani Gadde upset world number 25 Nitchaon Jindapol.
· Renowned Gujarati folk singer and Padma Shri awardee Diwaliben Bhil passed away at her residence in Junagadh due to age-related ailments. She was 75.
· Morley Safer, the CBS newsman who changed war reporting forever when he showed GIs burning the huts of Vietnamese villagers and went on to become the iconic 60 Minutes correspondent whose stylish stories on America’s most-watched news program made him one of television’s most enduring stars, died in Manhattan. He was 84.
/ 5. Reviews