Daily Current Affairs Updates – 21stFebruary 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1). India Nepal Sign 9 Partnership Deals:
· India and Nepalsigned9Partnership deals during Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli’s first foreign trip since being elected.
· Deals are expected to help developinfrastructure, improve cultural cooperation and utilise India’s $250 million post-earth quake reconstruction grant.
2). Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan set up SPV’s for smart Cities:
· Special Purupose Vehicles (SPVs)have been setup for thecities of Jabalpur, Indore and BhopalinMadhya PradeshandJaipur and Udaipur in Rajasthanfor the development of Smart Cities.
· An SPV is a legal entity created to fulfil specific or Temporary Objectives.
3). Panchayat bans mobile phones among girls:
· Blaming mobile phones for “corrupting” girls, a panchayat in an Aligarh village has announceda complete ban on use of the devices by girls younger than 18.Moreover,families of violators will be punished by having to sweep village roads.
· The decision was announced by thepanchayat of Basauli village in Gonda block of Iglas tehsil in the district.
4). National Food Security Act would be implemented across the country by April:
· Union Food and Public Distribution Minister Ram Vilas Paswan said that theNational Food Security Act would be implemented across the country by Aprilthis year.
· Mr. Paswan said that as of now,28 States and Union Territories have implemented the Act. The Minister said online allocation of food grains has been started in 20 states to make the distribution system leakage free.
· Mr. Paswan said that storage capacity of over 62 thousand MT has been created in North East.
5). Printing of Budget 2016 document begins with ‘halwa’ ceremony:
· The process of printing documents for the Budget 2016-17 began with the ritual‘Halwa ceremony’, which was attended by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and his deputyJayant Sinha in the North Block office.
· As part of the ritual, which has continued for long,‘halwa’ is prepared in a big ‘kadhai’ (large frying pot) and served to the entire staff in the ministry.
6). Former Indian military personnel to guard Reliance Industries’ assets:
· The $57-billion Reliance Industries, the holding company led by Mukesh Ambani, has hired 16,000 former Indian defence personnel and commandosto protect its energy and economic assets.
· Reliance has created a new business vertical, christenedGlobal Corporate Security (GCS), which apart from these services personnel, will include information security experts to protect the company’s data assets too
· The government is looking at providing banking services in every village of the country by leveraging technology and the network of Common Services Centres (CSCs).
· The withdrawal facility has already been introduced at CSCs whereas opening of accounts is being worked out with the banks and is likely to be rolled out shortly.
· Our target is to create banking access point in every village through new technology,” Communications and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said during a conference of women village level entrepreneurs (VLEs) under CSCs.
· The minister said commission earned by VLEs on Pancards, Passport and Rail ticketing stands at 438 crore.
· VLEs have a major role in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s dream of startup revolution in India. CSCs play important role in interface between the government and the beneficiaries, thus reducing corruption and delays,” Prasad said.
· Prasar Bharatihas signed a MoU with Empressa de Brazil Communicacao (EBC) in connection with several broadcast related activities including exchange of news, programmes and co-production.
· This MoU is being described as historical as it is the first agreement thatPrasar Bharati has signed with any South American country.
· It was signed betweenPrasar Bharati Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Jawhar Sircar andEBC Vice President Mr Mario in Brasilia, Brazil.
9). Uma Bharti to Inaugurate Jal Manthan 2016:
· Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Sushri Uma Bharti will inaugurate “Jal Manthan -2″ in New Delhi.
· The main theme of two day event isIntegrated Approach for Sustainable Water Management.
· The first Jal Manthan was organized in November 2014.
10). HRD Panel recommends Sanskrit Cells in IITs:
· A Sanskrit Cells has been recommended in Central Government run premier Engineering and Scientific Institutions, including the IITs, by a panel of the Union Ministry of Human resource Development (MHRD).
· The panel said that Sanskrit Texts,such as Atharavaveda and Vaisheshika Darshana are a “Treasure house of Scientific Concepts” and hold “great relevance” for research and Innovation.
11). Maharashtra Teacher Starts Digital Teaching:
· Sandip Gund,Primary School Teacher from Pashtepada,Maharshtra has converteda Zilla parishad school into a “Smart School”, where Children are Taught using Tablets and Computers instead of School Books.
· The Majority of the Students are Children of Families and Labourers, he has inspired over 400 schools in Thane district to replicate his ‘Gund’ model of teaching this Year.
12). US launches anti-dumping probe on tyres from India, Sri Lanka:
· A US investigative body has decided to go ahead with its anti-dumping investigations into a certain category of tyres imported fromIndia and Sri Lankathat may have a damaging effect on domestic industry even as it let China off the hook.
· The Commission further determined yesterday that imports of these products from China are negligible.
· World Bank has decided to lend support to the Rajasthan government on energy reforms and a detailed project has been prepared in this regard.
· The decision was taken at a meeting betweenWorld Bank’s country director in India, Onno Ruhl and Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje at her official residence.
· Ruhl conveyed that World Bank was working with the Rajasthan government on energy reforms and a detailed report has been prepared focusing on conventional and non-conventional sources of energy.
14). Infosys Consulting Holding appoints Michael Pesch as CEO:
· IT major Infosys has appointed Michael Pesch as Chief Executive Officer of Infosys Consulting Holding AG(formerly Infosys Lodestone),effective from April 1
· He will focus on expanding the reach of Infosys consultants and experts in digital transformation and design-led innovation, as well as increasing Infosys’ expertise in large-scale SAP programmes.
· He will also serve as theRegional Head for the DACH (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) countries, bringing an integrated approach to IT transformation to every client engagement in the region.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
15). Yahoo hires advisers to sell internet Operations:
· Yahoo announced that it has hiredThree Investment banks, including Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, to evaluate potential bids to sell its internet operations.
· The move is reportedly aimed at providing a turnaround to Yahoo after Years of decline and helping it focus on Mobile apps and other services most likely to revive its revenue growth.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
16). Facebook Messenger app now supports multiple accounts:
· Facebook has redesigned its popular Messenger app so severalpeople can use it on the same smartphone or tablet without relinquishing their privacy.
· The New feature will accommodatemultiple accounts without allowing people sharing the more versatile app to get into each other’s queue of messages.
· Facebook added the ability to switch accounts within the Messenger app after getting requests from people who share their smartphones and tablets with family and friends.
17). Dutee Chand sets new 60 meter National Record:
· Indian Sprinter Dutee Chandset a new national record, clocking 7.28 seconds in the 60 meter dash heats at the Asian Indoor Championships.
· She Beat the National record of 7.81 seconds.
18). Long Jumper Mayookha wins gold at Asian Indoors:
· Indian Long Jumper Mayookha Johny leapt to the 6.35 meter ,mark to win the Gold Medal at the Asian Indoor Athletics Championships in Doha, Qatar.
· This was India’s first medal at the Championships.
· Sugandha Kumari also won a Bronze medal in the women’s 1500 metersprint, registering a timing of 4 minutes 29 seconds and 6 micro seconds.
19). Maharashtra Cricketer Pritam Patil Creates history,Scores First Triple Hundred in 50 Over Cricket:
· Maharashtra Cricketer Pritam Patil Creates history,Scores First Triple Hundred in 50 Over Cricket.
· He Scored 306 runs off just 134 Balls for PYC Hindu GymKhana as they beat Nanded by a margin of 508 runs in a 50 over game in Maharashtra Cricket Association’s Senior invitation League.
· He smashed as many as28 Fours and 26 Sixes.
20). Umberto Eco, author of ‘The Name of the Rose,’ dies at 84:
· Italian author Umberto Eco, who intrigued, puzzled and delighted readers worldwide with his best-selling historical novel“The Name of the Rose,”.
· Spokeswoman Lori Glazer of Eco’s American publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, told The Associated Press that Eco died Friday at age 84.
· Noted Odia singer Bhubaneswari Mishra passed away in New Delhi on Friday. She was 67. She died due to heart attack in a private hospital.
· She was popular both as a classical and a playback singer. Her sudden demise has cast a pall of gloom in the music industry.
· Mishra has bagged many prestigious awards includingOdisha State Film Award for best playback singer female for two consecutive years in 1979 and 1980 for the movies Srikrushna and Jay Maa Mangala respectively.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here
/ 5. Reviews