Daily Current Affairs Updates– 22ndJanuary 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1. Chhattisgarh Government inked pact with central PSUs for railway project:
· TheChhattisgarh Government signed a share-holding agreement with a few central government-run corporations for the second phase ofJagdalpur-Raoghat railway project.
· A special purpose vehicle (SPV)-Chhattisgarh Dakshin Railway Pvt Ltd-was constituted through the agreement to build142 km railway line at a cost of2000 crore rupees.
· The project aims at leading the economic development of tribal-dominated Bastar region.
2. Sudan offers ONGC three oil fields to explore:
· ONGC Videsh, the overseas arm of ONGC has been offered three more oil and gas blocks by Sudan for exploration and Production, ONGC Videsh already controls 25% stake in Sudan’s Greater Nile oil Project
· Sudan has also invited Indian firms to setup a Coastal Refinery.
· Sudan’s Oil Minister:Mohamed Zayed Awad
3.’Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ for 61 more districts:
· With more than 50% of districts showing improvement in the child sex ratio during the initial months of the launch of’Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’, the government has decided to extend the programme to61 more districts.
· The Programme that completes a year was implemented in 100 selected districts across the country with poor sex ratio.
4. Maharashtra cities submit proposals worth Rs 29,647 crore for ‘Smart City’ plan; Mumbai’s lowest
· Ten major cities in Maharashtra, including Mumbai, has submitted their estimated proposals worthRs 29,647.45 crore for the Central government-funded ‘Smart City’ project.
· However, the Mumbai proposal estimate of justRs 1,118 crore is the lowest among all the ten cities.
· The Thane Municipal Corporation’s proposal with an estimate of Rs 6,630 crore tops the list, followed by Amravati worth Rs 5,305 crore and Nagpur – Rs 3,409 crore.
4. Collector to Provide shoes to 25k School Kids:
· Jitendra Kumar Soni, collector the Jalore district, Rajasthan has started a scheme,’Charan Paduka Yojna’, to provide shoes to 25000 children before Republic day.
· Earlier Soni had asked school authorities in 274 gram panchayats and 3 nagar palikas for a report of the number of students coming barefoot to the school.
· The scheme was launched with the help of donors.
5. Indian Bureau of Mines, National Remote Sensing Centre signed MoU for monitoring mining activity:
· Indian Bureau of Mines,National Remote Sensing Centre signed MoU formonitoring miningactivity through satellite technology.
· The MoU was signed by IBM Controller GeneralR K Sinha andNRSC Director V K Dadhwal in the presence of secretary, Union Ministry of Mines, Subash Chandra
6. Jodhpur’s Umaid Bhawan Palace named the world’s best hotel of 2016:
· United Bhawan palace in Jodhpur, Rajasthan won the award of theworld’s best hotel at the Traveller’s Choice award organised byTripAdvisor
· The winners of Traveller’s choice award, which entered its 14th year, were determined on the basis of the reviews and opinions collected in a single year from TripAdvisor travelers worldwide
7. IOC only Asian firm to get Nigeria term contract:
· Indian Oil Corporationis the only Asian company that was offered a term contract by Nigeria for selling crude oil. Nigeria overhauled all term contracts last month.
· Under the contract, Indian Oil will buy 3 million tonnes of oil per annum from Nigeria, up from 1.7 million tonnes
8. New bird species named Himalayan Forest Thrush found in India:
· A team of scientists discovered a new bird species named Himalayan Forest Thrush in northeastern India and adjacent parts of China.
· The species was discovered after noticing that a bird, known as a brush that lived in the forest, sang differently than the same bird that lived in the mountains.
· Thenew species has been given scientific name Zoothera salimalii after famous ornithologist and naturalist Salim Ali who has made significant contributions to ornithology in India
9. Scientist discovered the largest Prime Number M74207281:
· In January 2016, Scientists discovered the largest prime number 2^74,207,281 – 1, with the help of computer. The new Prime Number was namedM74207281. It was calculated by multiplying together 74,207,281 twos then subtracting one, according to scientists. It is comprised of 22 million digits
· This Prime Number was discovered by a team headed byCurtis Cooper at University of Central Missouri. This is the fourth time that Curtis Cooper’s team has been credited for discovering the largest Prime Number. Curtis Cooper’s team is working as a part ofGreat Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) which aims to discover new world-record-size Mersenne primes.
10. Nai Manzil scheme for girls from minority communities launched in Jammu and Kashmir:
· The ‘Nai Manzil’ scheme has been launched, for the first time in the state ofJammu and Kashmir.Dr. Najma Heptulla, theunion Minister of Minority Affairs announced the launch of the ‘Nai Manzil scheme’ this while announcing the new initiatives taken by the Union Ministry of Minority Affairs for the state of Jammu and Kashmir. Dr Najma Heptulla announced that the scheme was launched for girls in Srinagar in three institutions. The institutions are Skill Development Centre, University of Kashmir and two Madarsas (Madarsa Shahi-i-Hamdan in Pampore and Madarsa Imam Sadique in Shadi pur ,Bandipora).
· Under the scheme girls fromminority communities will be imparted three month skill development training in seven identified sectors relevant to the region. These include training in saffron processing, food processing, embroidery, computers IT (both software and hardware), Tourism/hospitality, electronics and plumbing. Trainees will also be given stipend ofRs.4500/-for the course.
· The Union Minister also announced that the scheme has already been introduced in other parts of the country at Patna and Motihari in Bihar and Bhandup in Mumbai. It will be introduced in other Madarsas too in phased manner.
11. IDA approved $ 250 Million credit for Jhelum and Tawi flood recovery project in J&K:
· The International Development Association (IDA) signed a financing agreement with the Government of India for the ‘Jhelum and Tawi flood recovery Project’.
· The Financing Agreement for World Bank (IDA) assistance worth US$ 250 million for Jhelum and Tawi Flood Recovery Project in the state of Jammu and Kashmir was signed between Government of India, through DEA (Department of Economic Affairs) and the IDA (International Development Association) which is a subsidiary arm of the World Bank.
· The objective of the project isto support the recovery and increase disaster resilience in Project Areas and increase the capacity of the Project Implementing Entity to respond promptly and effectively to an eligible crisis or emergency.
12. Moldovan parliament appointed Pavel Filip as Prime Minister:
· Moldovan parliament on 20 January 2016 appointedPavel Filip as the Prime Minister. He would be the third prime minister of Moldova in less than a year.
· The appointment follows the rise and fall of two prime ministers in 2015, namelyChiril Gaburici (June 2015) andValeriu Strelet (October 2015).
· The small ex-Soviet state and Europe’s poorest country was in a political turmoil after the fraudulent disappearance of 1 billion US dollars from the banking system and then government was brought down in a no-confidence vote in October 2015.
· Pavel Filip, a member of the main pro-European coalition and a former IT and communications minister in the last government, followed the rejection of two previous candidates. His Candidature as a compromise figure was resisted by opposition as he was close aide ofVladimir Plahotniuc.
· Plahotniuc is one of Moldova’s richest but most unpopular men, who were believed to be behind the banking scandal. And the subsequent political crisis.
13. Prashant Kishor becomes Advisor to Bihar CM:
· Prashant Kishor, who played a key role in strategizing for theNitish Kumar-led grand alliance to register an impressive win in the last Bihar state assembly elections, has now been appointed as an advisor (Policies and Programme implementation) toChief Minister Nitish Kumar.
· His status will be of aState cabinet minister
14. Atulesh Jindal appointed as new Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes:
· Atulesh Jindal (IRS)was appointed as theChairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). He will take over Arun Kumar Jain as the Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) on his superannuation on January 31, 2016. The appointed was approved by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet on January 22, 2016.
· Atulesh Jindal will have tenure of six-months as the Chairman of CBDT till he retires in July, 2016. Atulesh Jindal is a 1978 batch Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer. Currently, he is serving as a member (revenue) in Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
15. India Post opens counters for eBay sellers:
· India’s government operated postal system, India post has opened up exclusive counters in Gurgaon and Faridabad exclusively foreBay India sellers.
· Through these counters, over 65000 eBay India sellers would be able to ship their international as well as domestic parcels.
· India Post had previously partnered withAmazon India, Snapdeal, Shopclues and Paytm
16. India’s first social mobile wallet launched:
· Mumbai Based TranServlaunched India’s first social wallet calledUDIO.
· Apart from the usual wallet functions like phone recharge, bill payment and digital money transfer,Udiowould also allows its users to split bills, send or request money and gift merchant vouchers.
· The users will also be provided withprepaid Visa card powered by Maharashtra based Ratnakar Bank
17. IndiGo net profit rises 24% to 657 Crore:
· InterGlobe Aviation, the parent company of Gurgaon Based low cost airline IndiGo posted a net profit of 657.28 crore for the quarter ended December, a 24% rise.
· The rise was fuelled by low prices and an increase in passenger by Revenues
18. Facebook launches online Sports stadium on IOS:
· Facebooklaunched anonline sports stadium to allow sports enthusiasts to discuss games in real-time.
· The virtual platform features live play by play action, live commentary, news, individual plays, scores and other such stats.
· To access the sports stadium users have to search Facebook’s main app by game, which will then lead them to the dashboard of the specific sport
19. FreeCharge launches virtual card for e-payments:
· Digital Payments platform FreeCharge, in association with YES Bank and MasterCard, has launched a new virtual card called‘FreeCharge Go’
· Customers can now pay across all major e-commerce portals and use the card on the go for online transactions including paying for the movie tickets, cab rides and groceries. The virtual card will be linked to the usersFreeCharge Wallet
20. Titan launches its first SmartWatch:
· Watchmaker Titan has marked its entry into the SmartWatch segment with the launch ofJUXT.
· Engineered in partnership with HP, JUXT can be paired with smart phones running android 4.4 or iOS8.1 and above
· It comes in 3 variants- Titanium, Stainless Steel and Rose Gold, Priced between 15,995 to 19,995. It can be pre ordered from Titan’s Website.
21. Ratan Tata invests in Pune-Based firm FirstCry:
· Pune based baby and maternity product retailer FirstCry has received an undisclosed amount of investment from Chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons,Ratan Tata.
· This is Ratan Tata’s fourth startup investment of 2016.
22. Sensex ends below 24k for 1st time since May ’14:
· The BSE Sensex closed 99.83 points down to at 23962.21, the first time since May 2014 that the index has closed below the 24,000 mark.
· The NSE Nifty breached the 7300 mark to close 32.50 points down at 7276.80.
· Analysts attributed the fall to weak global cues triggered by falling crude oil prices.
23. BSE launched Algorithm Trading Test Environment in partnership with Symphony Fintech Solutions:
· The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) launchedAlgorithm Trading TestEnvironment (ATTE) service in partnership withSymphony Fintech Solutions.
· The BSE is Asia’s oldest stock exchange and at present, is theworld’s fastest stock exchange with a speed of 6 microseconds
BANKING AND ECONOMY:
24. RBI allows partnership firms to deposit in GMS:
· RBIamended theGold Monetization Scheme (GMS) to permit proprietorship and partnership firms to make gold deposits under a joint deposit account in the name of Depositors
· Under the GMS that was introduced last year, resident Indians and trusts registered under theSEBI can earn interests on the gold deposited in the banks.
25. RBI permits banks to sell India Gold Coins:
· TheRBI allowed banks to sell theIndia Gold Coins (IGC) minted by state ownedMetals and Mineral Trading Corporation of India (MMTC) through their branches.
· The IGC was the first ever national gold coin with the national emblem introduced by the government under its Gold Monetization Scheme and will be available indenominations of 5 and 10 Gms.
26. Stock Exchanges to be classified as infra firms:
· Capital markets regulator SEBIsaid stock exchanges and depositories will be classified asinfrastructure companies.
· This comes after SEBI approved new norms for the listing of stock exchanges, which includes measures like maintaining51% of shareholding under the public category and ensuring that the holding of trading members, associates or agents does not exceed 49%
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
27. Rahul Thakkar won Scientific and Technical Achievement Award 2016 for technical achievement:
· Rahul Thakkar, along withRichard Chuang was chosen for Scientific and Technical achievement Award 2016 given by Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Rahul Thakkar will share the honour with Richard Chuang for “groundbreaking design” of the DreamWorks Animation Media Review System. Rahul Thakkar is person of Indian Origin.
· Rahul Thakkar was born inUnited Kingdom and was raised in India. Currently, Rahul Thakkar is serving as the Vice-President atBrivo Systems. He is a computer engineer graduate from Mumbai University. Rahul Thakkar holds a Master’s degree in computer science from Utah State University. He has an experience of 20 years in product design and research.
· The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on January 8, 2016 announced that 10 scientific and technical achievements represented by 33 individual award recipients will receive the honor at Academy Awards’ annual Scientific and Technical Awards Presentation 2016.
28. Indian Olympic Association signed 2-year marketing deal with Infinity Optimal Solutions:
· Indian Olympic Associationsigned 2-year marketing deal withInfinity Optimal Solutions (IOS)
· As per the contract the IOS will manage sponsorship and public relations for the IOA for all the major national and international events.
· This is the first time in the history of IOA that any professional sports marketing agency has been appointed to generate sponsorship revenues for Indian Athletes
29. India- Srilanka T20 series schedule announced:
· Indiawill hostSrilanka in a 3 match T20I series in February. The series is scheduled to play before the Asia Cup, following which the teams will participate in the World T20.
· Pune will host the 1st T20, Delhi will host the second, vizag will host the 3rd T20I
30. Real Madrid highest earning club for 11th Year:
· Real Madridwas at the top of the Deloitte Money League for 11th successive year, with annual revenue of4270 Crore.
· Barcelona and Manchester United completed the top three. Five of the Top 10 clubs were from England, While Bayern Munich was the only club from Bundesliga
31. Italian film director Ettore Scola died:
· Italian film directorEttore Scola passed away following a prolonged illness in Rome. He was 84
· As a film maker, he was considered to be among the last generation of Italian greats with a keen eye for the issues facing his country.
32. Social worker Nirmala Gajwani passes away
· Reputedsocial worker and one of the leading lights of the Sindhi community,Nirmala Gajwani, passed away. She was 87.
· Born in Rohri Sindh (now in Pakistan) on December 28 1928, she married Dr. Hassan and Gajwani at 16 and, due to the partition of India and Pakistan, was forced to flee as a refugee with her 10-month old infant son in 1947.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here