Daily Current Affairs Updates– 23rd January 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1). High Speed Public Wi-Fi service started at Mumbai Central Station:
· Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu, Minister of Railways, Govt of India, inaugurated the Wi – Fi service in a function at Mumbai Central Railway station.
· This is a part of an ambitious project towards Digital India initiative by Indian Railways with the help ofRailTel Corporation in collaboration with Google.
2). Andhra Pradesh Govt reestablished Commission for OBC:
· The state government ofAndhra Pradesh has reestablished the Andhra Pradesh Commission for Backward Classes by exercising the rights vested in the section 3 of Andhra Pradesh Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993.
3). India ranked 22nd among world’s best countries:
· India ranked 22nd among world’s best countries, as India proved itself as the world’s fastest growing economy,this report was released by theWorld Economic Forum in the annual meeting.
· India that exports a wide range of advanced products everything from jet engines to medicines to soybeans.
· India’s growth rate is expected to rise to 7.5 per cent this year.
4). Sri Lanka tops South Asia in human development:
· Sri Lanka topped theHuman Development Index (HDI) 2015 in South Asian Region.
· But the country’s performance in terms of average annualhuman development index (HDI) growth rate during 1990-2014 was lower than many other South Asian countries.
· This is the highlights of the Global Human Development Report (HDR) 2015 released by theUN Development Programme (UNDP).
5). World’s best country for women – Denmark:
· Denmark is the best country in the world for women to live in, according to a survey conducted by American media companyUS News and World Report.
· The survey contains the views of 7,000 women, who were asked to score countries on five attributes – including gender equality, income equality, safety and its progressiveness.
BANKING& FINANCE NEWS:
6). Jan Dhan account deposits cross Thirty Thousand Crore Rupees:
· Deposits in accounts opened under the government’s flagship financial inclusion programme —Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) — have crossed theRs 30,000 crore mark.
· As many as 20.38 crore bank accounts were opened under the PMJDY as on the January 20, as per the latest data available.
7). FreeCharge partnered with MasterCard& Yes Bank to launch Virtual Card:
· In collaboration withYes Bank andMasterCard, the wallet company FreeCharge launched a“FreeCharge Go”, a virtual card that allows users to pay for goods and services at online shops and offline retailers.
8). Locally developed Maruti Suzuki’s Vitara Brezza to be sold abroad:
· TheVitara Brezza is going to be a major milestone forMaruti Suzuki BSE 5.53 %, as the locally developed vehicle will be sold abroad as well, showcasing the technological capabilities of the nation’s top car maker.
· The compact SUV is the first vehicle to be conceived, designed, developed and validated in India by Maruti. It will be unveiled at next month’s Auto Expo in Greater Noida. “Vitara Brezza was given as a challenge to the Indian R&D team.”
9). Retail giants Amazon, Walmart to invest more than Rs 2,000 crore in India:
· Two of the world’s largest retailers,Walmart Stores Inc and Amazon, will invest more thanRs 2,000 crore to build their networks and gain a share of the Indian retail market that’s expected to cross $1 trillion by 2020.
· The investment takes Amazon’s total investment in Amazon Seller Services in the past year to about Rs 4,800 crore.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS:
10).PM releases unique illustrated version of Shri-Durga-Saptashati:
· The book has been compiled byDr. Sandeep Joshi, a research scholar from Rajasthan.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
11). 4th India Africa Hydrocarbons Conference (IAHC) started in New Delhi:
· The fourth edition ofIndia Africa Hydrocarbons Conference (IAHC)has begun New Delhi.
· The two day conference aims at enhancing greater cooperation between India and African continent in the field of Hydrocarbons.
· It also seeks to explore opportunities, bridge boundaries and boost bilateral trade between India and Africa.
12). “Naseem Al Bahr” a joint naval exercise was flagged by India and Oman:
· India and Oman will conduct 10th edition of bilateral maritime exercise‘Naseem Al Bahr’in the Arabian Sea from January 22 to January 27, 2016.
· Two Oman Navy ships RNOV Al-Shamikh and RNOV Al-Seeb, which will also participate in IFR 2016, entered the port of Goa.
13). An MoU for monitoring mining activities through satellite was signed between IBM and NRSC:
· Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM) has signed a MoU with theNational Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC)to monitor the mining activities in the country through satellite technology.
· As part of the MoU, IBM would set up an exclusive remote sensing cell under the technical guidance of the NRSC at its offices in Nagpur and Hyderabad.
14). Government inks MoU to implement Action Plan for skill development in Telecom:
· TheUnion Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has signed MoU withDepartment of Telecommunication (DoT) for Skill Development in Telecom Sector.
· The MoU has signed to implement National Action Plan for Skill Development in Telecom Sector.
Under this MoU
· Both signatories will make concerted joint efforts towards skill development by facilitating mobilization of financial support for various activities.
· The financial mobilization will be under the National Ecosystem for Development of Telecom.
· National Institute for Policy Research Innovation and Training (NTIPRT) will be also developed for training and skill up-gradation in Telecom.
15). Shankar Gosh legendary tabla player passed away:
· Tabla MaestroShankar Ghosh, died at the age of 80 due to pneumonia, cardiac problems and old age complications.
16). Gujarat Assembly former Deputy Speaker Nirmala Gajwani passes away:
· Former Deputy Speaker of Gujarat Assembly and Social ActivistNirmala Gajwanipassed away on 21 January 2016 in Rajkot, Gujarat. She was 87.
· Gajwani was a reputed social worker and one of the leading lights of the Sindhi community in the state.
17). Paranjoy Thakurta appointed EPW Editor:
· Senior journalist and political commentatorParanjoy Guha Thakurtawas on Saturday appointed Editor of Economic and Political Weekly (EPW), a well-known academic weekly.
· 60-year-old Thakurta will take over from April one next in succession to Rammanohar Reddy, who had decided to step down at the end of March after 11 years as Editor.
18). 300th Grand Slam tittle won by Roger Federer:
· Roger Federer climbed into rarefied territory at the Australian Open by winning 300thGrand Slam in his carrier.
· With a 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 third-round win over 27th seed Grigor Dimitrov in Rod Laver Arena, the No. 3 seed clinched the 300th Grand Slam match win of his storied career, becoming the first man to reach the milestone.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here