Daily Current Affairs Updates– 24th December 2015:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· The day is being observed annually on 24 December, since theConsumer Protection Act, 1986 was enacted on 24 December1986.
· The day provides an opportunity tohighlight the importance of the consumer movement and the need to make every consumer more aware of their rights and responsibilities.
RBI IN NEWS:
· The decision toextend the deadline byanother six months was notified by the apex bank in a statement issued in Mumbai.
· RBI in an official statement said that the notes can be exchanged for their full value. It has also clarified that all such notes continue to remain legal tender.
3). Bihar Government banned 15-year-old diesel vehicles in Patna in the view of increasing polution:
· The decision was made during the review meeting of the environment and forests department under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
· The execution was pending since October 2013, when the state transport authority had reached a decision regarding this.
· The Chief Minister also instructedState Machinery to chalk-out a plan to control pollution. He said there will also berestriction onburning of plastic and solid waste.
· The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) on 23 December 2015 released the 2015OPEC World Oil Outlook (WOO).
· First published in 2007, the WOO offers a thorough review and assessment of various scenarios related to themedium and long-term development of the upstream and downstream sectors of theoil industry.
· As per the report,oil and gas, combined, are expected to supply around53 percent of the global energy demand by 2040.
5). UN adopted resolution to observe 5 November as World Tsunami Awareness Day:
· The creation of the day is aimed at raising awareness among people in the world of the dangers oftsunami and stressingthe importance of early warning systems in order to mitigate damage.
· The proposal was first suggested by theJapanese Government after theThird UN Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction held in Sendai, Japan in March 2015.
6). Lupin, has received final approval from the U.S. health regulator:
· The company has received final approval for itsPotassium Chloride extended release capsules from theUnited States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA), according to a statement issued by the company.
· The dividend policy of public sector banks, which payhefty dividend to the shareholders irrespective of the quality of the balance sheet, must be reviewed, according to a Reserve Bank of India (RBI) report.
· The RBI sought areview of the policy in the light of public sector bank reforms that was announced by the government in August this year.
· The government’s ‘Startup India, Stand Up India’ programme seems to be gaining some momentum, with the Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) clearing $140 million (Rs 930 crore) from the $302 million (Rs 2,000 crore) fund-of-funds which launched in August to support venture capital funds.
· Idea, the third largest mobile operator in terms of revenue and subscriber base, launched the4G services across 75 towns in the 4 telecom circles of South India, namely Andhra Pradesh& Telangana, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
10). List of Fortune 500 Indian companies 2015 are released:
· Indian Oil Corporation tops the chart with an annual revenue of Rs.4,51,911cr followed by Tata Motors with Rs.2,67,025cr.
· State Bank of India moved to fourth place and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd. is Ranked 5th.
· Through this acquisition, Wipro, which provides business process services to global investment banks, believes it can increase its capabilities for the sector.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· The generic version of the drug namedHarvoni will be sold under the brand nameCIMIVIR-L.
· The generic drug Harvoni is an improved version ofGilead’s hepatitis-C drugSovaldi or sofosbuvir and will come in fixed-dosecombination of ledipasvir-sofosbuvir of 90mg and 400mg, respectively.
· With her decommissioning,INS Godavari (F-20) will complete its full life cycle, meeting all responsibilities and duties assigned, proving the success ofIndian ship design and construction.
· It was the lead ship of her class ofthree guided-missile frigates of the Indian Navy. The other two warships areINS Ganga and INS Gomati.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· Jain is a professor atHarvard Medical School and Director of theTumour Biology Laboratory at Massachusetts General Hospital.
· He will receive the honour along with 16 other winners of the National Medal of Science and National Medal of Technology and Innovation at aWhite House ceremony in 2016.
· Amit Majmudar, a diagnostic nuclear radiologist, was named to the two-year honorary position by Governor John Kasich who created the honour.
· Senior Telugu actor and dialogue writerChilukoti Kashi Viswanath passed away with a massive cardiac stroke while travelling in Lokmanya Tilak Express from Hyderabad to Visakhapatnam. He was 69.
BILLS AND AMENDMENTS:
17). Lok Sabha passed The Payment of Bonus (Amendment) Bill, 2015
Provisions of Bill:
· It seeks to raise the eligibility limit for payment of bonus from a salary of 10000 rupees to 21000 rupees a month.
· It seeks to raise this calculation ceiling of bonus to 7000 rupees per month or as per the minimum wage notified for the employment under the Minimum Wages Act, 1948 (whichever is higher).
· It seeks to mandate prior publication of rules made by the Union Government in the Official Gazette to allow for more public consultation.
· It will have retrospective effect and will come into force on 1 April 2015.
· He is presently serving as theIndian ambassador to Bhutan.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here