Daily Current Affairs Updates– 25th February 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1. Rail Budget 2016: Passenger fares Unchanged:
· Railway Minister Suresh Prabhuannounced that there will be no increase in Passenger Fares.
· Further, he announced a33% sub-quota for women passengers in reserved categories, along with increasing thesenior citizen’s lower berth quota by 50%.
· AlsoDisabled Friendly toilets will be introduced in 11 Class-A Stations this year.
2. Union Government approved AMRUT action plan for 13 cities:
· Government today approved Atal Mission for Rejuvenation& Urban Transformation, AMRUT Action Plans for 13 cities for 2015-16 with anoutlay of Rs 495 crore.
· Ministry of Urban Development said it has cleared the investment plans for cities including Guwahati, Jammu, Srinagar, Panjim, Shillong, Agartala and Puducherry. Centre will provide an assistance of Rs 425 crore out of the total project cost
3. Cabinet approves Atal Innovation Mission:
· The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given itsapproval for establishment of Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) and Self Employment and Talent Utilisation (SETU) in NITI Aayog with appropriate manpower.
· Establishment of AIM and AIM Directorate would result in implementation of Mission activities in a focussed manner. This would be a focal point for innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
4. Andhra Pradesh to launch Edu-Grid project:
· In Andhra Pradesh, Edu-Grid project of IT&C department unifying all State universities would be implemented to enable students to access data on their attendance, grading profile and assignments, among others, through the university website.
· India will host Asia Ministerial Conference on Tiger Conservation from 12 April 2016 to save tigers. It will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
· It is the third such conference on tiger conservation to be hosted by India that will see the participation of all 13 tiger range countries (TRCs).
· They are Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Russia, Thailand, and Vietnam
· The fifth edition of exercise IBSAMAR betweenBrazil, India and South Africa begins in Goa.
· This is the first time that Exercise IBSAMAR is being conducted in Indian waters. All the previous editions were being held off South Africa.
· The primary aim of the exercise is to increase interoperability amongst the three navies as well as develop common understanding and procedures for maritime security operations.
7. Union Government to Provide Wi-Fi at 25,000 Spots by March:
· The Government has set a target of providing wi-fi facilities at 25,000 spots in the country by March this year.
· Communications and IT Minister Ravishankar Prasad said, thefacilities are available at three hundred spots at present.
8. Union Government to electrify 7,000 villages by March:
· Power and Coal Minister Piyush Goyal has said that theCentre has fixed a target of electrifying 7,000 un-electrified villagesby the end of next month.
· Addressing a Power Focus Summit in New Delhi,he said Centre hasalready electrified 5,542 villages out of the total 18,452 un-electrified villages so far.
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi on his Independence Day speech, last year, hadset a target of electrifying 18,452 villages in one thousand days, that is by May 1, 2018.
9. IRCTC ties up with OYO Rooms for accomodation:
· In a bid to provide standardised accommodation options to train travellers through a convenient booking platform,Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has tied up with OYO Rooms.
· The Partnership is expectedto provide a more user-friendly hotel booking window for rail travellers, as OYO Rooms will show their available inventory of rooms through the IRCTC website itself, along with the promise of offering standardised amenities to the train passengers.
· The IRCTC-OYO Rooms partnership will offer as many as 45,000 hotel rooms spread across 170 cities in India. All of these rooms will have certain assured amenities, including air-conditioning facilities, complimentary breakfast, Wi-Fi access, and 24-hour customer service support.
10. West Bengal Government announced to constitute two task forces for tribals, Gorkhas:
· West Bengal Government announced its decisionto constitute two task forces for the development of Adivasis and Gorkhas living the state.
· One task force will work for the tribals of the Terai-Dooars and the other for the Gorkhas living in the Darjeeling Hills region in northern part of the State.
· These task forces will have working authority akin to the development boards constituted earlier.
· Announcement was made by State Sports and Youth Affairs Minister, Arup Biswas at a meeting of the Dooars Siliguri Terai Bhartiya Nepali Development Forum (DSTBNDB) held on 24 February.
11. Mizoram launched National Food Security Act, 2013:
· National Food Security Act (NFSA) 2013 was officially launched in Mizoram
· The Act was launched byState Food civil Supplies and Consumer affairs Minister John Rotluanglianaat Aizwal.
· The Act will become effective in the state from 1 March 2016.
· The state has decided to allocate 3 kilogram of rice in addition to the 5 kilogram covered by Food Security Act.
· In addition, theState government has also decided to provide 8 kilogram of Rice at the rate of 15 Rupees to those not covered by Food Security Act.
12. India’s nuclear power capacity to reach 10080 MW by 2018:
· India’s nuclear power capacity is expected to reach 10080 mega watt by 2018-19.
· It will further expand tothrice the present capacity of 5780 mega watt by 2024.
· Minister of State in PMO Jitendra Singh said theGovernment intends to introduce a Bill to give statutory powers to the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board, the national regulator for nuclear energy.
13. Odisha Government launches pilot project for Computerisation of PDS system:
· Odisha governmentis taking up a pilotproject to monitor the distribution of essential commodities under the public distribution system.
· To check the loopholes in the distribution, every transaction of commodities among the beneficiaries will be recorded in a mechanized system.
· Computerised Fair Price Shop Automation system will help to eliminate any irregularities by the distributors and track all transactions sitting at one place.
14. Union Cabinet approved India-Maldives Agreement on Avoidance of Double Taxation of Income from International Air Transport:
· Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi gaveapproval to sign an agreement between India and Maldives for the avoidance of double taxation of income from international air transport.
15. Parliamentary Standing committee on Finance tabled report on NPAs of Public Sector Banks:
· Parliamentary Standing committee on Finance submitted the report on theNet Non performing Assets (NPAs) of Public Sector Banks (PSBs).
· The committee is chaired byM. Veerappa Moily.
· The committee has tabled its 27threport in Parliament which observed that many of bad loans of banks are because of companies with over capacity and weak demand.
16. India to set up Satellite Tracking system in Vietnam:
· India is to set up a Satellite Tracking and Data Reception and Processing Centre in Vietnam for ASEAN Member countries.
· The facility is meant to acquire and process data from the Indian Remote Sensing Satellite relating to the ASEAN region.
17. India-Sri Lanka economic agreement to be signed by mid 2016:
· Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has said thatIndo-Lanka Economic and Technological Cooperation Agreement (ETCA) will be signed by middle of this year.
· He said the final draft of the agreement will be prepared after those discussions and could be presented to Parliament.
18. Promotion of Payments through cards and digital means:
· The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given itsapproval for introduction of steps for promotion of payments through cards and digital means.
· The move aims atreducing cash transactions.
· Thehas also recently approved licences for setting up of Payments Banks with the objective of greater financial inclusion by the Payments Banks by providing small savings accounts and payments/remittance services to migrant labour workforce, low income households, small businesses, other unorganised sector entities.
19. Union Government to make policy on strategic sale of state owned companies:
· Government will soon come out with apolicy on strategic sale of state-owned companies.
· Disinvestment Secretary Neeraj Kumar Gupta said, the disinvestment will not be confined to loss making enterprises.
· Under the strategic sale, the equity of the company is sold along with the controlling management. However, the quantum of stake to be sold can vary from place to place and company to company
· Beijing is the new “Billionaire Capital of the World”. The Chinese capital has overtaken the Big Apple as home to the most billionaires 100 to 95 according to Hurun, a Shanghai firm that releases yearly rankings and research about the 1 per cent.
· Beijing took the title from New York after minting 32 new billionaires last year, while New York gained four.
· Moscow came in third place, with 66 billionaires, whileHong Kong and Shanghai came in fourth and fifth with 64 and 50, respectively.
21. Johnson& Johnson fined $72 million for cancer death linked to talc:
· Johnson& Johnson has been ordered to pay $72 million (£50 million) in damages after a woman’s death from cancer was linked to its talcum products.
· Jacqueline Fox’s death from ovarian cancer was linked to her use of the company’s talc-based Baby Powder and Shower to Shower for several decades.
· It’s the first time a jury has ordered J&J, the world’s largest maker of health-care products, to pay damages over claimsthat it knew decades ago that its talc-based products could cause cancer and failed to warn consumers.
22. India and UK sign MoU for research in crop science:
· Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology and a consortium of top UK research institutions signed an MoU for establishment of ajoint India-UK collaboration programme in crop science.
· The aim of the agreement is to enhance collaborative research, promote knowledge exchange, and support capacity building to develop resilience in food security. This collaboration builds on the close links already established between leading researchers in the United Kingdom and India.
23. India approves $150 million credit line for Iran’s Chabahar port:
· India has approved a$150 million credit line for the development of Iran’s Chabahar port.
· The Port in southeast Iran is central to New Delhi’s efforts to circumvent arch-rival Pakistan and open up a route to landlocked Afghanistan where it has developed close security ties and economic interests
24. United States won WTO dispute against India’s solar rules:
· A World Trade Organization (WTO) dispute settlement panel ruled in favour of the United States in its challenge to New Delhi’s alleged discrimination against US solar exports.
· The panel agreed with the US that India’slocalisationrules discriminated against imported solar cells and modules under India’s National Solar Mission.
· The US Trade Representative’s office called the ruling a significant victory that will hasten the spread of solar energy across the world and support clean-energy jobs in the United States.
25. People of Bolivia rejected fourth term for President in referendum:
· Bolivia’s Electoral Commission announced thatpeople of the country rejected an amendment to the Constitution in a referendum with 51.3 percent vote.
· With this vote, theincumbent President Evo Moralesstands disqualified for contesting the Presidential election for fourth term in 2019.
· At present, Evo Morales is into his third term and his most recent victory was in 2014. Prior to 2014, he was elected to the Presidency twice – in 2006 (under the 1967 Constituion) and 2009.
· As per the most recent and the 17th Constitution, which was promulgated by Evo Morales in 2009, the President of Bolivia is allowed to re-elect only once.
26. US Stocks decline to slump in oil prices:
· US stocksdeclined amid a renewed slump in oil prices and a still uncertain outlook for global growth and U.S. corporate earnings. So the Dow Jones industrial average slumped 189 points, or 1.1 percent, to close at 16,432.
· The Standard& Poor’s 500 index lost 24 points, or 1.3 percent, to 1,921. And theNasdaq Composite index fell 67 points, or 1.5 percent, to 4,504.
27. China and USA close to agreement on UN resolution against China:
· United States and China made progress toward a draft UN sanctions resolution to punish North Korea for its recent nuclear tests and push it to the negotiating table.
· China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi and US Secretary of State John Kerrysaid the draft is still being evaluated by officials before being submitted to the UN Security Council.
28. China building Radar facilities in South China sea: American Think Tank:
· An American think tank has said thatBeijing is installing radar facilities on its artificial islands in the disputed South China Sea, in a move analysts warned would exponentially improve the country’s monitoring capacities.
· Satellite imagery of Cuarteron reef in the Spratlys released by the Washington based Centre for Strategic and International Studies showed what appeared to be a high frequency radar installation, as well as a lighthouse, underground bunker, helipad and other communications equipment.
29. Saudi Arabia and UAE urge their citizens to leave Lebanon:
· Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have urged their citizens to leave Lebanon or avoid travelling there after Riyadh halted 4 billion dollars in aid to Lebanese security forces in response to hostile positions linked to Lebanese Shia group Hezbollah.
30. RBI cancelled Certificate of Registration of 26 NBFCs:
· The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) cancelled thecertificate of registration of the 26 non-banking financial companies (NBFCs).
· RBI cancelled the certificate of registration of these 26 NBFCs in exercise of the powers conferred on it, under Section 45-IA (6) of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934.
· Following the cancellation of registration certificate, these companies cannot transact the business of a non-banking financial institution as laid down underclause (a) of Section 45-I of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· Payments technology company FINO PayTech (FINO) has tied up withReliance Commercial Finance to providecredit to rural poor in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
· The tie-up will help FINO improve the product bouquet for its payments bank, for which it has received in-principle approval.
· Reliance Commercial Finance will offer small loans to women borrowers for a tenor of up to 24 months for carrying out revenue-generating activities.
· Steel production in India fell by 1.5 per cent to 7.4 million tonnes (m.t.) in January 2016compared with the output in the same month last year.
· This is the first fall since September 2015, when the crude steel production in the country had declined by 0.5 per cent to 7.3 m.t. as against the corresponding month of 2014.
· According to the latest data by theJoint Plant Committee (JPC), under the Steel Ministry, overall crude steel production fell 1.5 per cent in January 2016, impacted by a decrease of 1.7 per cent in case of other producers, while output fell by 1.4 per cent in the case of Integrated Steel Plant (ISP) producers.
33. Ola to create 50,000 Jobs in Uttar Pradesh:
· Olasigned a MoU with theUttar Pradesh government to create 50,000 jobs in the state in next 5 years.
· Under the MoU,ola will skill and create entrepreneurial opportunities for both men and women in the State.
· Ola will also launch itsOla Auto, Ola Share and Ola Shuttle services across the State.
34. No Service Charge to be levied on card Payments:
· Union Government cleared aproposal to withdraw surcharges, service charges and convenience fees on cards and digital payments.
· This would be instrumental in reducing cash transactions and tax avoidance.
· The government will also rationalise the merchant discount rate-the fee charged by a bank for providing debt and credit card services.
· The Centre today appointedAmitava Bhattacharyya,Bimal Julka & Divya Prakash Sinha asinformation commissioners in the Central Information Commission (CIC)
· Amitava Bhattacharyya is a former Chairman, Staff Selection Commission, Bimal Julka is a former Secretary, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, and Divya Prakash Sinha is a former Secretary (Security), Cabinet Secretariat.
· “The appointments have been made for a term of five years from the date on which they enter upon their office or till they attain the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier, as per the provisions of the Right to Information Act, 2005,” an official release said.
36. Rahul Taneja Appointed As Chief People Officer of Jet Airways:
· India’s 2nd largest airline Jet Airways India Ltd named Rahul Taneja as its chief people officer, responsible for shaping the operations and performance of the group.
· His earlier roles included HR Director at computer giant Dell International and Group HR Head at telecom networks solutions company HFCL.
37. Justice Subhro Kamal Mukherjee sworn-in as Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court
· Justice Subhro Kamal Mukherjee took oath as the28th Chief Justice of the High Court of Karnataka.
· Governor Vajubhai R. Vala administered the oath to Justice Mukherjee in a ceremony held at the Raj Bhavan.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· Goverdhan Mehta, a well-knownresearcher in Chemical Sciences& former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Hyderabad (UoH), has been conferred with Federal Republic of Germany’s prestigious ‘Cross of the Order of Merit’.
· He is a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS), a Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences and has been conferred with `Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur’ by the President of France.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
39. ISRO to launch first solar Mission Aditya –L1:
· The Indian Space Research Organisation, ISRO, is set to launch the country’s first solar mission called Aditya-L1.
· Aditya-L1 satellite will be placed in an orbit about 15 lakh kilometres from the earth.
· Its primary objective will be to study the solar corona in different wavebands.Minister of State in PMO Jitendra Singh said ISRO is going to launch eight Indian and 19 foreign satellites this year.
· The countries whose satellites it will be launching include Algeria, Canada, Germany, Indonesia and USA.
40. Rabishield – World’s first fast-acting Anti-Rabies drug to be launched in India:
· World’s first fast-acting anti-rabies drug Rabies Human Monoclonal Antibody (RMAb) will be launched in India
· The drug has been developed byPune-based Serum Institute of India (SII) and US-based MassBiologics of the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
· RMAb drug is a human IgG1 monoclonal antibody that instantly deactivates rabies virus by specifically binding to a conformational epitope of glycoprotein of the virus.
41. India defeated Bangladesh in First Asia Cup match:
· India Defeated Bangladeshby 45 runs in First ever T20 Asia Cup match held at Dhaka, Bangladesh.
· Man of the Match–Rohit Sharma
42. Ramon Castro passed away in Cuba:
· Ramon Castro, the older brother of former Cuban leader Fidel Castro and current President Raul Castro, died yesterday. Castro, aged 91, died in Havana and his cremated remains were to be taken to Biran, the rural town in eastern Cuba where the Castro brothers were born.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here