Daily Current Affairs Updates– 25th January 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
12). Alice Vaidyan, new CMD of GIC Re:
14). Get ready for 5 eclipses this year
· 6th National Voters’ Day (NVD) was observed across the countryon 25 January 2016 by the Election Commission of India. The theme for the 6th National Voters’ Day is‘Inclusive and Qualitative Participation’.
· The Commission’s objective through NVD is to increase enrolment of voters, especially of the newly eligible ones. The National function of the NVD was held in New Delhi and presided over by President of India, Pranab Mukherjee
· On the occasion,the Chief Election Commissioner Dr. Nasim Zaidi also released a book titled,‘Belief in the Ballot’and presented it’s the first copy to the President
· Amid the national crackdown on terrorists and terror suspects,the Mumbai Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) has blocked 94 websites linked to Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant’s.
· Phansalkar further said that the Mumbai ATS is ready to combat terrorism.
· The multi-city raids that had begun on Friday across six states wound up with the arrest of Imran Mozzam Khan Pathan of Aurangabad in Maharashtra.
3). Maharashtra gets first Mini-Water Supply Plant through solar plant in Mouda Taluka of Nagpur:
· In Maharashtra,the first Solar Power operated Mini-Water Supply Plant in the state has been commissioned in Hingna village of Mouda Taluka in Nagpur district.
· The Solar Pump Unithas been installed on experimental basis by Rite Water Solutions under the supervision of the Zilla Parishad authorities. The village with six hundred households is now getting pure water for a very low cost which can easily be borne by the Gram Panchayat.
· The system runs completely on solar power for which 1800 Watt panels have been installed.It delivers 10,000 Litres of purified water every day and the nitrate content from water is completely removed so as to prevent the ill effects on the health of villagers.
4). Finance ministry approves buying 14 lakh new electronic voting machines
· The Election Commission has moved a step forward towards procuring nearly14 lakh new electronic voting machines (EVM), with the Finance Ministry giving in-principle approval for buying the new devices which are required ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha polls.
· Sources in the government said an estimated Rs 1,872 crore would be required in 2016-17 for the new EVMs, but final figures will be available when the EC issues tender.
· A senior government functionary explained that the two government undertaking Bharat Electronics Ltd, Bengaluru and Electronic Corporation of India Ltd, Hyderabad will not be in a position to produce new EVMs in one go and would provide it to the Commission in batches.
5). India with France in fight against Terror:
· PM Narendra Modi said that India would stand shoulder to shoulder with France in the fight against terrorism.
· “France has shown the way of combating terrorism without deviating from its principle” Modi added
6). Jammu city records coldest day in 71 years:
· Jammu city the winter capital of J&k recorded its coldest day since 1945 with a minimum temperature of 0.5 degree Celsius.
· The J&K meterological department has forecast foggy weather accompanied by child wind.
· Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of state (Independent Charge) for petroleum and Natural Gas, launched an online payment facility for booking LPG refill cylinders in Mumbai.
· He said that this will bring consumer convenience transparency and cashless transaction.
· People can now refill their LPG cylinders around the clock and get them delivered even in their absence.
8). 20 Feet High Sea Walls to come up in Odisha:
· Two 20 feet high sea walls which will be 14km and 3.5 km long are coming up in the coastal Kendrapara district of Odisha tosafeguard the seaside settlements.
· The seawalls will protect the coast from tidal surges that rise upto 10-12 feet.
· The 42crore project has been sanctioned under the National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Programme.
9). Francois Hollande visits India: Chandigarh, Pondicherry, Nagpur on France’s s mart city radar:
· French President Francois Hollande began the economic leg of his three-day visit to India, offering his country’s assistance in thedevelopment of at least three smart cities Chandigarh, Pondicherry and Nagpur.
· The announcement came during two back-to-back meetings which the visiting head of state, along with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, held here with the corporate leaderships of the two countries.
· The businesses of the two sides also signed 16 pacts mainly in urban development and clean energy, but also covering one agreement on aerospace between the French giant Airbus and India’s Mahindras.
· China and Iran mapped out a wide-ranging 25-year plan to broaden relations and expand trade during the first visit by a Chinese leader to the Islamic republic in 14 years.
· President Xi Jinping met with his counterpart Hassan Rouhani, a week after the lifting of international sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program. The Chinese leader is the first head of state of the six-country bloc that negotiated the historic deal to visit Iran.
· The two countries signed 17 documents and letters of intent, IRNA reported, including treaties on judicial, commercial and civil matters. Iran is seeking to attract $50 billion annually in foreign investment for the country’s ailing $400 billion economy.
11). Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa won Presidential Election of Portugal:
· Marcelo Rebelo de Sousawon the Presidential election of Portugal. Sousa, a centre-right Social Democrats candidate and a former journalist, won the election by securing 52 percent of votes.
· The outcome is likely to help maintain political balance after the inconclusive parliamentary ballot in October 2015.
· His closest rival, Socialist Antonio Sampaio da Novoa, conceded defeat after picking up around 23 percent of the vote. Left Bloc candidate Marisa Matias had 10 percent
12). Alice Vaidyan, new CMD of GIC Re:
· Alice Vaidyan has been appointed Chairman and Managing Director of General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC Re), the National Reinsurer. She will hold office till July 31, 2019. GIC Re is the 14th largest reinsurer globally and is presently the only reinsurance company in India.
· Vaidyan belongs to the 1983 batch of direct recruit officers of general insurance industry. She has been the General Manager and CFO of GIC Re from October 2012.
13). Koovs Co-founder Rajesh Karma Joins Wooplr:
· Online fashion retailer Koovs cofounder Rajesh Karma joined Fashion discovery app Wooplr as the head of commerce.
· Wooplr also roped in Fabric manufacturer ArvindLifestyles CEO Rajiv Mehta for a senior advisory post
14). Get ready for 5 eclipses this year
· Astronomy enthusiasts andsky gazers will be able to watch five eclipses this year, but only two of these will be visible in India.
· The celestial events will start with atotal solar eclipse on March 9, which will be partially visible in North East; Ujjain based Jiwaji Observatory’s Superintendent Rajendraprakash Gupt.
· Later, a penumbral lunar eclipse will occur on March 23, but it would not be visible in India. Another penumbral lunar eclipse will take place on August 18 and an annular solar eclipse will occur on September 1, both of which will again not be visible. However, lunar eclipse will occur on September 16 and will be visible.
15). N-gage messaging app launched in India
· Instant messaging app n-gage launched its service in India to allow users to share content with competing platforms like WhatsApp and Viber, a move aimed at tapping into the booming mobile Internet user base in India.
· The platform ensures security of users through the various features and at the same time, availability of the desktop version ensures that those without Smartphone’s can use the platform,”.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
16).Regulators Recall another 5 Million Vehicles Due To Faulty Air Bags
· Prompted by a recent death in South Carolina, federal regulators have recalled five million vehicles with defective Takata air bags, which have injured more than 100 U.S. drivers.
· The brands recalled includeFord, Volkswagen, Audi and Mercedes Benz.
· In one of the largest such actions in history, 24 million vehicles equipped with the Japanese company’s air bags have been recalled in the United States.
17). ONGC received environmental nod for 53000 crore rupees KG basin project:
· Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) received environmental clearance from the Ministry of Environment and Forestsfor drilling 45 developed wells in the Krishna Godavari (KG) basin in Andhra Pradesh. The total cost of the project is estimated at 53000 crore rupees.
· ONGC is planning to drill 45 development wells and set up a Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) facility, among others. The project will be implemented in the northern discovery area of NELP-I offshore block KG-DW N-98/2
· It is expected that the proposed development drilling and subsequent development of fields will lead to production of 51.33 billion cubic meters of gas over a period of 16 years and 26.71 million cubic meters of oil in 12 years
· Maharashtra based RBL Bank has launched a new platform called‘India Startup Club’to provide all around banking services to emerging entrepreneurs.
· Through this platform, entrepreneurs can avail personalized banking services, planning solutions and financial tools
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· Actor Rajinikanth and spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravishankarare among the awardees for this year’s Padma vibhusan awards, while reliance industries founder Dhirubhai Ambani will be awarded posthumously.
20). Izumo Takuto and Zhu Chengzhu won ITTF World Junior Circuit Finals:
· Japan’s Izumo Takuto and Hong Kong’s Zhu Chengzhubecame champions in the boys’ and girls’ categories, respectively, in the 11Even Sports 2015 ITTF World Junior Circuit Finals at the Abhay Prashal Stadium, Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
· The three-day event came to its conclusion when Takuto hardly dropped a sweat beating Carlos Vedriel from Spain 4-0 in a one-sided final while Zhu overcame stiff resistance to beat Park Seri of Korea 4-2.
· Each winner took home 3800 US dollars while the runners-up received 2100 US dollars each.
21). New Zealand beat Pakistan by 70 runs in 1st ODI:
· New Zealand beat Pakistan by 70 runs in 1st ODI in wellington. Batting first the kiwis scored 280/8 with Henry Nicholls scoring 82 of 111 balls.
· In reply Pakistan innings folded at 210, with Babar azam playing a fighting knock of 62.
· Trent Boultwas the wrecker in chief for the Kiwis taking 4 wickets.
22). New Guidelines for Transgender Olympic athletes:
· The governing body of Olympic Games International Olympic Committee (IOC) eased the guidelines for transgender athletes making them take part in the competition without undergoing genital reconstruction surgery.
· India won the first T20 Asia cup cricket for Blind. In the final clash played at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium of Kochi, India defeated Pakistan by 44 runs
· Batting first, India scored 208 runs in 20 over whereas Pakistan was restricted to 164 runs in 18.2 over
· So far, Pakistan was unbeaten in this tournament and had defeated India by 19 runs in the group stages
24). Australia won five-match ODI series against India, 4-1:
· Australia on won the five-match One Day International (ODI) series against India 4-1. In the fifth and final match played at Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney, India defeated Australia by 6 wickets.
· This is thefirst time that any team has chased more than 300 runs to complete victory against Australia in their own den. India will retain their No. 2 ranking in ODIs as well.
· The ODI series between India and Australia was named asIndia tour of Australia, 2016. However, the tour will also see a 3-match T20I series, which will kick off on 26 January 2016 at the Adelaide Oval
Series Report :
· 1st Match:Played at W.A.C.A. Ground, Perth, Australia on 12 January 2016. Australia won by 5 wickets.Steven Smith(Australia) was declared the Man of the Match.
· 2nd Match:Played at The Gabba, Brisbane, Australia on 15 January 2016. Australia won by 7 wickets. Rohit Sharma(India) was declared the Man of the Match.
· 3rd Match:Played at Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, Australia on 17 January 2016. Australia won by 3 wickets.Glenn Maxwell(Australia) was declared the Man of the Match.
· 4th Match:Played at Manuka Oval, Canberra, Australia on 20 January 2016. Australia won by 25 runs.Kane Richardson(Australia) was declared the Man of the Match.
· 5th Match:Played at Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney, Australia on 23 January 2016. India won by 6 wickets.Manish Pandey(India) was declared the Man of the Match.
· Man of the Series: Rohit Sharma(India) for his truckload of runs in the entire series.
· Famous Malayalam film actress Kalpana Ranjani died on 25 January 2016 in Hyderabad. She was 51 and famously known as Kalpana.
About Kalpana Ranjani
• She was born to theater artists Chavara V.P.Nair and Vijayalakshmi.
• She made film debut as a child artiste in 1983 and acted in more than 300 movies in all south Indian languages. She was well known for her comedy acting.
• Her sisters,KalaranjiniandUrvashiare also actresses and her two brothers, late Kamal Roy and late Prince had also acted in few Malayalam movies.
• In 2012, at the 60th National Film Awards, she won the Best Supporting Actress award for her performance in the filmThanichalla Njan.
• She has published her memoirs with the titleNjan Kalpana.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here