Daily Current Affairs Updates– 26th February 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1. Economic Survey Predicts 7 to 7.75% GDP Growth for 2016-17:
· TheEconomic survey today predicted GDP growth rate for 2016-17 in the range of 7 to 7.75 per cent. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today presented the Economic Survey in Parliament.
· It said government willmeet its fiscal deficit target of 3.9 per cent of GDP.
· The survey underlined thatcountry’s economic growth is amongst the highest in the world. The report said increase in wages recommended by the 7th pay commission not likely to destabilise prices and will have little impact on inflation.
· The survey said major public investments have been undertaken to strengthen the country’s infrastructure.
2. Suresh Prabhu announced setting up of Sreshtha a new Research organisation under Railways in Railway Budget 2016-17:
· The Minister of Railways, Suresh Prabhakar Prabhuwhile presenting the Railway Budget 2016-17 in Parliament today announcedto set up a R&D (Research and Development) organization, a Special Railway Establishment for Strategic Technology& Holistic Advancement, ‘SRESTHA.’
· SRESTHA would be headed by an eminent scientist reporting directly to Chairman, Railway Boardand would be staffed with scientists and a limited number of Railway experts. RDSO functioning will be made totally transparent with time bound results.
3. 30,000 Bio toilets to be introduced in Trains: Suresh Prabhu presenting Railway Budget 2016-17:
· The Union Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu while presenting the Railway Budget 2016-17 in Parliament introduceda string of measures to improve the cleanliness on stations and trains.
· Clean my Coach service on Pan India basis is introduced, where a passenger can request cleaning of his/her coach/toilets on demand through SMS. A1 and A classes of stations are ranked based on periodic third party audit and passenger feedback.
· He proposed setting up of waste segregation and recycling centers at A1 stations in a phased manner. He has set a target of 30000 bio-toilets in the next financial year.
4. Odisha receives Highest ever allocation of Rs.4682 Crore in Rail Budget:
· Odisha received the highest-ever allocation of 4,682 crore rupees against its demand of 5,000 crore rupees in the Railway budget presented by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu
· While presenting the budget, the Railway Minister has proposed eight new lines for Jeypore-Malkangiri, Jeypore-Nabarangpur, Berhampur Sambalpur, Junagarh-Ambaguda via Nabarangpur, Bansapani-Badabil, Barsuan-Bansapani, Bandhamunda-Rourkela and Narayangarh-Bhadrak.
5.New App launched for unreserved ticketing:
· Union Railway minister Suresh Prabhu presented the Railway Budget for 2016-17, the General Manager of Eastern Railways Ashok Kumar Goel launched amobile app for unreserved ticketing system.
· At the Eastern Railway headquarters at the Fairlie Place, Goel launched a new mobile application for the Howrah- Kharagpur section.
· The app-based facility will work forGPS enabled smartphones having good internet connectivity. Through the application passengers will be able to book tickets well in advance within two kilometre range.
6. Haryana Government announces interim relief for damage of Properties during Jag agitation:
· Haryana Government has announced to give an interim or part assistanceimmediately for the damage caused to properties in the Jat agitation.
· An applicant can claim upto25 per cent as an interim relief
· Claimants are required to provide details such as name, Aadhaar number, bank account number along with RTGS/NEFT code, address, electricity account number, if meter is installed, date of natural disaster, fire or law and order disturbance, and whether the damage is covered by an insurance policy.
7. India’s first railway auto hub will come up near Chennai:
· The country’s first rail auto hub will soon come up in Walajabad, near Chennai, to help automobile manufacturers in the region transport vehicles to other parts of the country.
· The announcement made by the Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on theauto hub along with the North-South dedicated freight corridor was a highlight for the Southern Railway in this Railway Budget.
8.Kalikho Pul wins floor test as 17 Tuki supporters remain absent:
· Newly-appointed Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Kalikho Pul won the vote of confidence without any opposition on the first day of the state assembly session, with 17 Congress MLAs including former chief minister Nabam Tuki remaining absent in the House.
· While chief minister Pul moved the motion seeking confidence of the House, all 40 members including himself who were present raised their hands and backed the motion.
9. Union Govt To Introduce Coal Linkage Auction Policy For Power Corporation:
· Union Govt to introducecoal linkage auction policy for power corporation which did not have such coordinations with Coal India Ltd.
· Anil Swarup, Coal Secretary said that the current surplus stock with Coal India Ltd (CIL) was a temporary phenomenon.
· Secretary told thatsix months large states distribution companies would come under the UDAY scheme for restructuring of their debts and unleash demand for coal.
· Coal import has already gone down by 16per cent in the April-January period, which has resulted in Rs. 20,200 crore savings for the government.
10. President Pranab Mukherjee on 2-day visit to Kerala:
· President Pranab Mukerjee is on a two day visit to Kerala.
· He willinaugurate the bicentenary celebrations of CMS College, Kottayam. and also he will inaugurate thevaledictory functions of the 155th anniversary of Indian Penal Code being organised by Kerala Directorate of Prosecutions at Kochi.
· He will dedicateMuzhiris Memorial to nation at Kodungalloor in Trichur. and he will inaugurate thefirst ever Cyber park in the country at Kozhikode.
11. Union Government decided to allow birth companions during delivery in public health facilities:
· The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare decidedto allow birth companions during delivery in public health facilities.
· The decision isaimed at reducing Maternal Mortality Ratio and Infant Mortality Rate in India.
· The presence of a female relative during labour is a low cost intervention that has proved to be beneficial to the women in labour
12. Mumbai Police created 16 no-selfie zones:
· Mumbai Policecreated16 no-selfie zones around the city. The action was taken in response to several deaths of people taking selfies.
· This enforcement of the order is police’s bid to discourage people from putting themselves at risk while taking selfies.
· The spots include popular sea-fronts like Bandra Bandstand, Marine Drive and Juhu Chowpatty.
· The process of identifying and marking certain spots in the city as ‘No Selfie Zones’ was initiated by Mumbai police in January 2016.
13. Union Govt. and UGC taken several steps to stop harassment of students:
· Union Government and the University Grants Commission, UGC, have taken several initiatives tocheck the incidents of harassment of all students including the Scheduled castes and Scheduled Tribes in higher educational institutions of the country.
· HRD Miniter Smriti Irani said that Central Universities are competent to take all administrative decisions including to prevent all kinds of harassment and discrimination against any section of students.
14. Power transmission capacity to be increased by 81% in next 18 months:
· Power Minister Piyush Goyal said in the Parliament that theUnion government will raise power transmission capacity by 81%in the next 18 months in Southern parts of the country.
· The move will help the States like Tamil Nadu, Karanataka and Kerala to get affordable power for their consumers.
15. Tribals to be given housing Pattas in Madhya Pradesh:
· Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced thattribals living in shanties by occupying land will be given housing pattas.
· Addressing a Shabri Mahakumbh at Anuppur yesterday, he said thattribals will be given one lakh rupees in villages and 2.50 lakh rupees in cities to construct house with toilet after issuance of housing pattas.
· He also announced that50 thousand rupees incentive money will be given to tribal students securing high marks in science faculty.
16. CCEA hiked MSP for raw Jute:
· Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has hikedMinimum Support Price of raw jute from 2,700 to 3,200 rupees per quintal.
· The hike has been done for the year 2016-17 to boost production.
17. Standing Committee on Finance submits report on Net Non Performing assets (NPA’s):
· The Standing committee on Finance said theNet Non performing Assets (NPAs) of Public Sector Banks stood at two lakh five thousand twenty four crores till September 2015.
· Gross NPAs during the corresponding period stood at three lakh sixty nine thousand nine hundred ninety crore rupees. In its twenty seventh report tabled in Parliament, the committee observed the bulk of bad loans of banks may be linked to firms that are struck with over capacity and weak demand.
18. Companies can apply online for revocation of suspension from stock exchange: BSE:
· Bombay Stock Exchange, BSE has said that companies seeking revocation of their suspension from the stock exchange can file applications on the exchange’s web-based portal.
· BSE said, this facility willmake the filing process with the exchange easier, more convenient and faster.
19. E-tourist visa extended to 37 more nations:
· Finance minister Arun Jaitley in his 2015-16 budget speech, the home ministry will extend e-tourist visa scheme to 37 more nations starting Friday, taking thenumber of beneficiary countries to 150.
· The countries added in the latest round include Albania, Austria, Bosnia& Herzegovina, Botswana, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, Comoros, Cote D’Ivoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Eritrea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Greece, Guinea, Iceland, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Moldova, Namibia, Romania, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Slovakia, South Africa, Swaziland, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Trinidad& Tobago, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
20. Lok Sabha passed Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2016:
· The Lok Sabha passed Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2016. The bill seeks toamend the Delimitation Act, 2002 and the Representation of the People Act, 1950.
· These Acts regulate allocation of seats to the national and state legislatures, and delimitation (that is, fixing boundaries) of parliamentary and assembly constituencies.
21. Resolution introduced in US house to block sale of F-16 fighter Jets to Pakistan:
· Former Republican presidential candidate Senator Rand Paul has introduced ajoint resolution in the US Congress to block the sale of F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan.
· The resolution (SJ Res 30) calls for prohibiting sale of eight F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan, which the State Department had recently notified to the Congress.
22. Italy approves Gay Civil Unions Bill:
· Italy’s Senate has approved a landmarkbill recognising same-sex civil unions. However, it removed a provision that would have allowed gay adoption
· Prime Minister Matteo Renzi put his government on the line for the bill, resorting to a confidence vote in the Senate yesterday to push through the amended text.
· Italy is the only major European country to have so far given no legal rights to same-sex couples.
23. India calls for aligning of UN activities with National Development plans:
· Cautioning against the externally-imposed prescriptions, India has called for closely aligningUnited Nations’s operational activities with the national development plans.
· Counsellor in the Indian Mission to the UN Amit Narang said, as the world shifts from the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the 2030 Agenda presents a meta-template for development.
24. LIC introduces third gender option in its proposal form; move cleared by IRDA:
· TheLife Insurance Corporation of India (LIC), which controls close to 70% of the life insurance market, hasintroduced the third gender as an option in its proposal forms in line with Supreme Court 2014 verdict recognising it.
· Though theNational Pension System also recognises the third gender, other insurance companies and mutual funds do not seek this information.
· Theknow your-customer (KYC) process, a prerequisite for making investments or opening bank accounts, also does not accommodate the third gender as an option. Incidentally, the option was included in Indian passports more than 10 years ago in 2005.
· RBIasked banks going in forStrategic Debt restructuring (SDR) to make sufficient provisions of close to 15% of the Loan’s value.
· The decision was takento tide over possible loss in the value of the Equity they acquire in lieu of debt and residual loans.
· RBI also revised more SDR Norms as many stakeholders sought more flexibility
26. RBI to buy 12000 crore Worth of Government Bonds:
· The Reserve Bank of India (RBI)announced anOpen Market Operation (OMO)purchase of government securities worth 12000 crore on March 3.
· The RBI Conducts OMO Purchase in order to infuse liquidity into the system whenever there is a deficiency, while it conducts OMO sales to suck excess liquidity from the System.
27.EPFO tightens norms for withdrawal of Provident Fund
· Retirement fund body, Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has tightened norms on withdrawal of provident fund as well investment of such amount inVarishtha Pension Bima Yojanafor its over five crore subscribers.
· Now, the subscribers will not be able to claim withdrawal of their provident fund after attaining age of 54 years. A senior official told that they would have to wait till attaining the age 57 years. The Ministry of Labour and Employment has notified new rules.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· World’s financial leaders will meet in Shanghai in G-20 summit from today to discuss ways to calm global markets and spur economic growth.
· They are likely to push for better implementation of the already agreed reforms and an assessment of where implementation is lacking and why
· A report published by the International Monetary Fund on Wednesday called for a coordinated stimulus programme to support a slowing global economy
29. Flipkart to shut grocery delivery app ‘Nearby’:
· E-commerce giant Flipkart shutting down its grocery delivery app ‘Nearby’ this month less than 5 months after the company launched it as a Pilot Project.
· The app was launched in October 2015 in Bengaluru to deliver groceries, personal care, health and wellness products.
· Flipkart is discontinuing the service due to poor customer demand and lack of Profit margins.
· Online Fashion Retailer Jabong appointedformer eBay India Country Manager B Muralikrishnan as its Chief Operating Officer (COO).
· Muralikrishnan will work closely withJabong’s largest shareholder Global Fashion Group (GFG) and will be responsible for the company’s technology and digital marketing functions.
31. United Spirits appoints MK Sharma as Chairman:
· United Spirits(USL)announced the appointment ofMK Sharma as its new Chairman, a day afterformer Chairman Vijay Mallya resigned from his position.
· USL had agreed to drop all charges of Irregularities under Mallya’s watch and pay him $75 million for his resignation.
32. Rohit Sharma named Nissan’s global ambassador:
· Japanese car manufacturer Nissan has named Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma as their new global ambassador.
· In its partnership with theInternational Cricket Council (ICC), Nissan also named West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell and New Zealand women’s team captain Suzie Bates as its ambassadors.
· Nissan’s eight-year sponsorship deal with ICC comprises all tournaments for the period 2016 to 2023. The World T20 will be played in India from March 15 to April 3
· The Union Government appointedRajendra Singh as the Director General (DG) of Indian Coast Guard, the country’s coastal protection force.
· This is thefirst time an officer who is not from the Indian Navy has been elevated to the position.
· The director general’s post has so far only been held by officers who were commissioned in the Indian Navy.
· The Appointments Committee of Cabinet had cleared the name of Singh as the next DG, with the Department of Personnel and Training issuing an order.
· Singh will replace Vice Admiral HCS Bisht who has been promoted as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval Command.
34. Infosys Extends Vishal Sikka’s Term By Two Years:
· India’s second largest software exporter Infosys has extended the tenure ofchief executive officer& Managing Director Vishal Sikka by another two years till the year 2021
· Sikka was earlier appointed as MD& CEO till 2019. Official stating that his initiatives have helped the company to grow towards leadership position.
· Mr. Sikka was the first non-founder who was appointed as the CEO and Managing Director of the company.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· Avinash Chander, former Scientific Adviser to Defence Minister and Director General of the DRDO, has been conferred with theAryabhata Award of the Astronautical Society of India.
· The award was presented to Avinash Chander by R Chidambaram, Principal Scientific Adviser to Govt. of India and A S Kiran Kumar, Chairman ISRO during theASI-ISRO Awards function held at Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad.
36. Yes Bank wins inaugural Green Bond Award in UK:
· India’s leading private lender Yes Bank has been awardedinaugural Green Bond Pioneer Award at a ceremony held in London, United Kingdom.
· Yes Bank was bestowed with this award in recognition for its pioneering efforts in the Green Bonds market including successful issuance of India’s first ever Green Infrastructure Bonds.
· Yes Bank was the first Indian Bank to issue Green Infrastructure Bonds (GIBs) in India. It had issued India’s first-ever GIBs worth 1,000 crore rupees in 2015.
37. Noida School named India’s Greenest by CSE:
· The Father Agnel School in Greater Noidahas been namedIndia’s greenest school by theCentre for Science and Environment (CSE)
· The School ” weeded out polythene use”, introduced solar panels and preserved its green areas.
· Second Prize went to Queen’s Valley School, Dwarka (Delhi),While theGovernment Senior School Shimla was ranked third.
38. GVK Bio wins Global CSR Excellence& Leadership Awards:
· GVK Biosciences has bagged theGlobal CSR Excellence& Leadership Awardsin the category ofBest Environment-Friendly Project
· The award has been given for its‘Go Green, Grow Green’ plantation drive.
· The awards are constituted by the World CSR Congress every year on the World CSR Day.
· GVK Bio has obtained this recognition for its mega plantation drive conducted in July 2015.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· Kashmir witnessed the hottest day in February in 76 years as the mercury rose to20.6 degrees Celsius in Srinagar, more than 10 degrees above normal for this time of the year.
· Srinagar had recorded a high of 20.6 degrees Celsius in the month of February in 1940. After a gap of 76 years, the same temperature was recorded yesterday,” Director local Meteorological department Sonum Lotus
40.Google’s new AI can determine image location without geotags:
· MIT Tech Review details a new project led byTobias Weyand, a computer vision specialist at Google. The project breaks photos down to the pixel-level and then tries to cross-reference these pixels with its massive image library to determine where they best fit.
· The sophisticated AI, named PlaNet was fed over 90 million geotagged images from all across the globe. In a trial using 2.3 million images, PlaNet determined the country of origin 28.4 percent of the time and the continent of origin in 48 percent of cases.
· Long-distance runner Lalita Babar was today named as the Sports Person of the Year in the India Sports Awards 2015.
· The Indian Sports Award were were given away here today at the conclusion of day one of‘Turf 2015-16’, organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) with the support of the Sports Ministry.
· Babar qualified for Rio Olympics recently im the 3000m steepelchase event and is the current Indian national record holder.
· She also won a bronze medal in 2014 Incheon Asian Games and is the current Asian champion.
· Besides Babar,Gynmast Dipa Karmakar was named as the Breakthrough Sports Person of the Year while Amateur Kabaddi Federation of India was conferred with the Best National Sports Federation recognition.
· Hockey legend Balbir Singh has been conferred with the lifetime achievement award.
42. Virat Kohli, Sania Mirza, Saina Nehwal in Forbes’ Asia list:
· Tennis starSania Mirza, Indian batting mainstayVirat Kohli and top-seeded badminton playerSaina Nehwallead the pack of over 50 Indians in Forbes’ inaugural list of top“promising young leaders and game changers” under the age of 30 in Asia.
· The Forbes ’30 under 30 Asia’ list includes 300 “young and driven entrepreneurs and game-changers” from countries including India, Indonesia, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Pakistan, Vietnam and Australia who are contributing to their industries in a significant way.
· As many as 56 Indians feature in the list with 27-year old Kohli, Mirza and Nehwal and 26-year old actress Shraddha Kapoor leading the pack.
· Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini had their bans from soccer reduced from eight years to six, two days before the sport’s ruling body tries to turn the page on years of scandals by electing a new president.
· Blatter and Platini were initially found guilty of wrong doing by FIFA’s independent ethics committee, which is led by a German judge, over a previously-secret 2011 financial transaction. FIFA President Blatter authorized a payment of 2 million Swiss francs ($2 million) to UEFA president Platini which was found to be unethical and a conflict of interest
44. Qatar Open: Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis 41-match Win Streak ends:
· In Tennis, the record 41-match winning run of Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis, the world number one pair, came to an end at the Qatar Open yesterday.
· The duo lost the quarter-final match against the Russian pair of Elena Vesnina and Daria Kasatkina, 6-2, 4-6, 5-10 to bow out of the tournament.
· Prior to Qatar, Sania and Hingis had won four titles this year out of an overall 13 trophies. These include three consecutive Grand Slams – Wimbledon, US Open and the Australian Open
· In Asia Cup match. defending champions Srilanka defeated UAE by 14 runs.
· Man of the Match:Lasith Malinga (Srilanka)
46. Mumbai seal 41st Ranji title with innings win
· Mumbai was crowned the champions of the Ranji Trophy for the 41st time as they defeated Saurashtra in the final by an innings and 21 runs on Friday.
· Saurashtra posted 235 and 115 in its two innings while Mumbai scored 371 in its sole innings. Notably, all the other participants of the tournament have a combined total of 41 titles
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here