Daily Current Affairs Updates– 27th January 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· President Pranab Mukherjee gave his assent to the cabinet’s recommendation for President’s rule in Arunachal Pradesh.
· Mukherjee earlier metHome Minister Rajnath Singh, who explained the rationale behind the recommendation.
2. Aishwarya meets French president for lunch:
· Actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan metFrench President Francois Hollande at a lunch hosted by theFrench Ambassador to India, Francois Richier, in Delhi.
· Hollande, who attended the Republic Day parade, had also invitedShah Rukh Khan and Aditya Chopra.
· French army soldiers became the first foreign military contingentto take part in India’s Republic Day parade led byLieutenant Colonel Paul Bury of the 35th Infantry Regiment, the 76 member contingent marched down Rajpath beforePresident Pranab Mukherjee, French President Francois Hollande and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
· Also a French band played two military tunes at the parade
4. IOC, BPCL, HPCL to setup largest oil refinery:
· Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradhan said the public sector oil firms IOC, BPCL, HPCL and EIL will invest 1.5 lakh crore to set up India’s largest refinery in Maharashtra
· The refinery with atotal capacity of 60 million tonnes a year, will be built in 2 phases.
· Reliance industries currently has the largest refinery in India at Jamnagar (Gujarat)
· India’s first blind friendly train, fromMysuru to Varanasi, made its maiden journey.
· All reserved coaches of the Mysuru-Varanasi Express which leaves mysuru on Tuesdays and Thursdays havemetallic Braille signage’s indicating the location of toilets , emergency windows and berth numbers.
· The South Western Railways plans to launch the feature for some other trains by March end.
6. India less vulnerable to external shocks: S&P;
· Indiais less vulnerable to external shocks as its primarily driven by government spending and household expenditure, rather than hot money which can pull out quickly,Standard& Poors (S&P).
· The US based rating agency expected the Current Account Deficit, the difference between the inflow and outflow of foreign currency, to be 1.4% during this fiscal.
· The Ministry of External Affairs announced that all first time applicants for normal passports will be able to avail passports on post police verification basis without any additional fees.
· The MEA also launched ‘mPassportPolice’, a phone application that allows quick submission of Police Verification Report; the ministry has made these reforms to speed up the issuance of passports.
8. 50 Maharashtra towns to become open defecation free:
· Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao said that 50 towns in the state will become ‘swachh’ by the end of 2016 in efforts towards making Maharashtra an“open defecation free” state.
· State government is working towards ensuring 100% segregation, collection and processing of municipal solid waste as part of‘Swachh Maharashtra Abhiyaan‘
9. India donated ambulances and buses to Nepal on 67th Republic day:
· On its 67th Republic day,India donated ambulances and eight buses to various hospitals, non-profit charitable organizations and educational institutions in Nepal to strengthen the education and health services in the Himalayan nation
· Among them, 33 ambulances and six buses were distributed at a function at the Indian embassy here while seven other ambulances and two buses were gifted by the Consulate General of India, Birgunj, to different organizations’ under its consular jurisdiction
· Earlier during the day,Indian Ambassador to Nepal Ranjit Raehoisted the national flag at a function in the embassy premises and read out the message of Indian President Pranab Mukherjee that stressed, among other things, on India’s support for peace, stability and development in its neighborhood
· The event was marked by unveiling of the‘Bhu Puu (ex-army men) 2015Magazine’, published by the Defence Wing of the Embassy to publicize all welfare initiatives of the Indian government for ex-servicemen domiciled in Nepal.
10. Railway broadband “Connected India-2020″ project to touch 500,000 homes:
· It was established that the Connected India-2020 project, Railtel Corporation’s broadband is going to reach 500,000 households through its Railwire network providing a host of services at the block level in the next two years, a top railway official has said. The Broadband Highway will involve a three-layer network – state capitals to district headquarters, district to sub-divisional and then to gram panchayats which will be joined to theNational Optic Fibre Network (NOFN), Pradeep Kumar, executive director (East) of Railtel Corporation of India, told a Global Communication Conclave.
· The Conclave, 10th in a series organised by the Public Relations Council of India (PRCI), conducted a knowledge forum with the theme ‘Digital Now- What Next’. Pradeep Kumar said Railwire network architecture provides the answer for ‘What Next’ as it will empower the people at village level with knowledge, skill development and core competencies
11. AAP government sets up Commission of Inquiry on ‘unheeded’ complaints of women by the police:
· TheDelhi government has appointed a Commission of Inquiry to address “unheeded” complaints of women by the police
· The three-member commission, to be headed by retired district judgeDinesh Dayal, will receive complaints, including on violence, sexual harassment, stalking and voyeurism against women since February 2013. The appointment of the probe panel was notified by Delhi Women and Child Development Department on January 19.
12. Services of ex-servicemen may be utilised in schools:
· The HRD ministry is mulling an initiative under which services of ex-servicemen would be utilised in schools for providing physical training and also creating awareness about sacrifices made by security forces for the nation.HRD minister Smriti Irani said this at an event where she launched the first batch of five books for children on lives of five Param Veer Chakra awardees.
· Irani said her ministry is considering an initiative under which services of ex-servicemen would be utilized in schools for providing physical training and creating awareness about the country’s glorious history.
13. 2 Indian institutions among world’s top 20 small universities:
· Indian universities have secured two spots in the top 20 places in Times Higher Education’s (THE) ‘World’s Best Small Universities Ranking 2016′, which was published.
· Indian Institute of Technology-Guwahati ranked 14th globally, followed bySavitribai Phule Pune University in 16th place make their mark in the debut list released.
· The best small university in the overall rankings is theCalifornia Institute of Technology.
· Of the eight European countries represented in the ranking, the UK does not feature despite being second only to the US for overall world-class universities, with 78 in the top 800 and 34 institutions in the top 200.
· All India Radio (AIR) launched a 24*7 classical music channel ‘Raagam’on its‘All India Radio live’ mobile app.
· The channel will take contributions from 13 AIR stations across India but will be broadcasted fromBengaluru.
15. 17 Indian Reserve Battalions approved for Jammu and Kashmir and LWE affected states:
· Union Cabinet headed by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi approved a proposal for raising17 Indian Reserve Battalions (IRBns) forJammu and Kashmir and Left-Wing Extremism (LWE) affected states. These 17 Indian Reserve Battalions includes five battalions in Jammu and Kashmir, four in Chhattisgarh, three each in Jharkhand and Odisha and two in Maharashtra.
· The Left-Wing Extremism (LWE) affected states in India are as follows:Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha, Bihar, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Telengana, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
The major features in raising these 17 Indian Reserve Battalions (IRBns) are as follows:
· Local youths will be recruited for this purpose.
· If required States can provide relax in the age and educational criteria
· 60% of the vacancies will be filled from the border districts of Jammu and Kashmir for the posts of constables and class IV in order to raise 5 Indian Reserve Battalions (IRBns) in Jammu and Kashmir
· 75% of the vacancies of constables will be filled up from 27 core districts under Security Related Expenditure (SRE) Scheme in order to raise Indian Reserve Battalions(IRBns)in Left-Wing Extremism (LWE) affected states.
· Danish Parliament, Folketing, voted on a proposal to confiscate asylum seekers’ personal possessions in order to pay their upkeep.
· The minority Liberal Party government’s bill was adopted by 81 votes to 27, with the support of the opposition Social Democrats and the anti-immigration Danish People’s Party (DPP). One politician abstained and 70 others were absent.
· The policy says that the police will be able to seize valuables worth more than 1340 euro’s (10000 kroner or 1000 Pound) from refugees to cover housing and food costs. MPs also approved plans to delay family reunions for asylum seekers.
17. United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed Nepal constitutional amendments:
· Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed Nepal parliament’s vote to amend the constitution and hoped that the positive development would help ease the border blockade
18. India called for united action against extremist organizations’ in Northern Iraq and Syria at the UN Security Council debate:
· Indiahas called for united action against extremist and radicalized organizations operating in northern Iraq and Syria in order to stop the “dangerous trends” endangering peace and stability in the Middle East and Gulf regions
· It also called for a“comprehensive political resolution” of the conflict, bringing all parties to the negotiating table, but said it should be a “Syrian-led process”
19. Malaysia to launch regional digital counter-terrorism centre to fight against Islamic State propaganda:
· Malaysiahas announced that it is set to launch a regional centre to counter-terrorism digitally on the lines of the ones used by theUS to fight terrorism.
20. Denmark world’s least corrupt country: Watchdog:
· Denmarkhas emerged as the least corrupted country in the world for a 4th consecutive year, according to the non-governmental organisation Transparency International.
· Finland and Sweden ranked second and third respectively on the 2015 Corruption perceptions index, while North Korea and Somalia were named the most corrupt out of 167 nations.
· India took the 76th spot on the list.
· American Express executiveLeslie Berland has been named by Twitter as its Chief Marketing Officer, according to a tweet fromCEO Jack Dorsey.
· Berland is currently Vice President, global advertising, marketing at American Express.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
22. Rekha conferred with Yash Chopra Memorial award:
· Veteran Bollywood actress Rekha was honoured with the third Yash Chopra Memorial Award in Mumbai.
· Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao presented the award to the actress in recognition of her talent and contribution to the film industry.
· The 61-year-old actress, who worked with Chopra in 1981 romance Silsila, said the filmmaker taught her the meaning of love through his work
23. Kerala Dentist Sajeev Koshy honoured with Order of Australia:
· A Kerala Dentist Sajeev Koshy settled in Melbourne was honoured with thehighest civilian honour, the Order of Australia.
· Koshy was given the award for his service to dentistry in Victoria, Australia.
· He was honoured on the Australia Day Awards 2016, by the Governor General of Australia.
24. Cottalango Leon selected for 2016 Technical Achievement Award of Academy of Motion Pictures:
· Cottalango Leon, a person of Indian origin,was selected for the 2016 Technical Achievement Award of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
· Leon won the award under the Scientific and Technical Achievements category for the design, engineering and continuous development of Sony Pictures Imageworks It view along with his two team members J Robert Ray and Sam Richards. It is a tool used only within Sony Imageworks
· Dubbed as it view, the software makes review of movie segments by artists at various levels a lot easier during film making
· He joined another person of Indian originRahul Thakkar who also was named as one of the winners of Scientific and Technical Awards 2016 of Academy Awards
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
25. US startup develops gravity defying shoe:
· US startup Moonshine Crea has developed unisex shoe‘Moonwalker’ that defy gravity and gives the user a feeling of walking on the Moon’s Surface.
· The moon walking sensation comes from within the two layers of the shoe which consists ofmagnets placed with opposite poles that are repulsive.
· The repulsion makes the person wearing the shoe feel light.
26. New Sheppard rocket became the first reusable rocket to be reused after landing back successfully:
· New Sheppard rocket of aerospace company Blue Origin became the first reusable rocket which was reused and landed back successfully on earth. New Sheppard rocket first landed back successfully in November 2015 after its launch. The same New Sheppard rocket was used again (for the second time) on January 22, 2016 which successfully landed back on earth making it the first reusable rocket that has been reused. This time, New Sheppard reached an apogee of 333,582 feet (101.7 kilometers) before returning to earth for the reuse.
· New Sheppard rocket is named after first American man in space, Alan Sheppard. It is comprised of two elements—a crew capsule in which the astronauts ride, rocket booster powered by a single American-made BE-3 liquid hydrogen, liquid oxygen engine.
· New Sheppard was built by private aerospace company Blue Origin which is owned byAmazon’s founder Jeff Bezos.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
27. Paytm signs 120 crore agreement with Alibaba:
· Online payments and m-commerce platform Paytm signed a 120 crore agreement with its lead investorAlibaba’s cloud computing arm AliCloud.
· Under the agreement, Paytm users will be allowed to access Alibaba’s online payment platform Alipay for Shopping in US, China, Japan and the UK.
· In return Alipay’s users can shop in India through Paytm
28. Sony acquires Altair Semiconductor for $212 million:
· Sony Corporation will acquireAltair Semiconductor for $212 million, with an aim to boost their Internet of Things business..
· Founded in 2005, the Israel based Startup makes chips that connect devices to LTE.
· Coca-Colabeverage giant announced that it will launch milk – based beverages under the brand name“Vio”.
· The company, which will introduce two flavours under Vio, has tied up with Reliance Retail as part of pilot launch to make the brand available exclusively across the latter’s 500 stores starting on Tuesday.
· The company has tied up with Schreiber Dynamix Dairies Pvt Ltd which will manufacture the product. Vio will be available in‘Kesar Treat’ and ‘Almond Delight’ variants, priced at Rs 25 per 200ml pack.
30. Uber using Smartphone’s to check speeding Drivers:
· Ride hailing serviceUber announced that they have been running a pilot program where, using user’s Smartphone gyro meter data, they are detecting if any driver is speeding or braking too hard.
· The company said that if a rider complains about a driver accelerating or braking too hard, they would review the trip to check it was true.
· Chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata invested in premium tea selling platformTeaBox.
· Founded in 2012 byKaushal Dugar, Teabox through its online platform sells teas fromDarjeeling, Assam and Nilgiri.
32. South Africa defeat England by 280 runs in 4th Test:
· South Africa defeated England by 280 runs in the 4th test.
· Man of the Match:Kagiso Rabada (SA)
· Man of the Series:Ben Stokes(England)
· Englandwon the Test Match Series: 2-1
· The Indian Women’s team defeated their Australian counterparts by 5 wickets in the 1st T20I inAdelaide.
· This was also theirhighest ever chase in T20Is.
34. Herold 1st Indian to qualify for World Championships:
· Deborah Herold created history by becoming thefirst Indian to qualify for the Track Cycling World Championships to be held in London in March.
· This qualification came based on her performance in the past 12 months which included a total of 8 medals in the Taiwan Cup Track international Classic and the 2015 Track Asia Cup
35. India regains no.1 spot in ICC test Rankings:
· Indiaare now officially the top ranked test team in the latest ICC rankings with a rating of 110.
· South Africa’s 2-1 series loss to England saw them drop down two spots to 3rd in the Rankings, with the Australia ranked 2nd.
· Earlier, India had moved to 2nd after their 3-0 series win over South Africa in December.
36. Netherlands’ Robert Van der Horst and Lidewij Welten named as the Players of the Year 2015:
· The International Hockey Federation (FIH)named the Netherlands pair ofRobert Van der Horst and Lidewij Welten as the Players of the Year 2015 in the men’s and women’s categories respectively, while India’s Akashdeep Singh missed out on the junior player award
· The Netherlands made it a hat-trick of award wins asJoyce Sombroek picked up the women’s Goalkeeper of the Year for the second year in a row, while Ireland’s David Harte won the men’s Goalkeeper of the Year.
· The Rising Star of the Year awards went toGermany’s Christopher Ruhr,who picked up this award for the second time in his career, and GreatBritain’s Lily Owsley.
· Women’s Rising Star of the Year —Great Britain and England’s Lily
37. 2022 Winter Olympics: Winter sports to get boost in next seven years:
· China’s Hebei province, which is also a co-host for 2022 Winter Olympicswith Beijing, has unveiled its plan for an anticipated winter sports boot in the next seven years
· Hebei’s winter sports development plan (2015-2022) requires each big city in the province to build at least one qualified ice and snow sports venue by 2022 with barrier-free access for the handicapped. The province will train more winter sports competitors, aiming to have home-grown players compete in the Olympic Games
· Zhangjiakou and Chengdu will develop themselves into ice sport training centres with expansion of a ski training base in Chongli, Zhangjiakou, which will host the cross-country, freestyle and some other skiing events at the 2022 Olympics
· Marvin Minsky, who combined a scientist’s thirst for knowledge with a philosopher’s quest for truth as a pioneering explorer of artificial intelligence, work that helped inspire the creation of the personal computer and the Internet, died on Sunday night in Boston. He was 88.
· Well before the advent of the microprocessor and the supercomputer, Professor Minsky, a revered computer science educator at M.I.T., laid the foundation for the field of artificial intelligence by demonstrating the possibilities of imparting common-sense reasoning to computers.
· Professor Minsky, in 1959, co-founded the M.I.T. Artificial Intelligence Project (later the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory) with his colleague John McCarthy,who is credited with coining the term “artificial intelligence”.
· Actor Abe Vigoda, known for his work inThe Godfather and on thetelevision series Barney Miller, passed away in New Jersey following natural causes. He was 94.
· He was best known for his roles asmobsterTessio in the movie The Godfather.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here