Daily Current Affairs Updates– 28th February 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1.February 28: National Science Day:
· In India February 28 is celebrated as the National Science Day i.e. Rashtriya Vigyan Diwasevery year.
· Significance of Day: It aims to impart scientific temper in the minds of people of all age groups.
· Theme for year 2016 is “Scientific Issues for Development of the Nation” that aims at raising public appreciation.
· This day is celebrated as science festival in the entire nation by organising science exhibitions, seminars, workshops, symposiums and many other activities.
2.President Declares Kerala Country’s First Digital State:
· President Pranab MukherjeedeclaredKerala as the Country’s first fully digital State.
· WithBrodband in every Gram Panchayat, Kerala has emerged as a truly digital state.
· President also informed that theState has a mobile tele density of 95% and internet access covering over 60% of the Population.
3.Vedanta Wins India’s First Ever Gold Mine Auction:
· Vedanta limited has wonIndia’s first ever auction of a gold mine, beating three other bidders in the auction of theBaghmara Mine in Chattisgarh.
· The Company quoted the Highest bid of 12.55% of theIndian Bureau of Minesprice of 74,712 Crore a troy ounce (31.10 grams).
· The Mine has2700 kg of Gold Reserves.
4.India hikes US Government Securities holding by $34 Billion:
· According to the US Treasury Department, India hiked its exposure to US government securities by nearly $34 billion to touch $116.8 billion in 2015, up from $83 billion in 2014.
· This comes against the backdrop of the global economy witnessing uneven growth trends in 2015.
· China remained the largest holder of US government Securities worth $1.246 trillion
5.DMRC to transport Cargo on Airport Express Line:
· Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has decided to utilise the luggage coaches of Airport Express line to transport cargo from March 1 on an Experimental basis for next 3 months.
· The DMRC has signed an MoU with Cargo agency and also it ensure faster delivery and reduction in fossil fuel Consumption.
6.Odisha CM elected as BJD President for 7th Consecutive Term:
· Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was today elected uncontested as the president of Biju Janata Dal, BJD for the 7th consecutive term.
7.FM to Present General Budget in Parliament Tomorrow:
· Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will present General Budget in Parliament tomorrow.
· Certain steps like extending benefit of interest subsidy scheme to more sectors to boost exports is likely to be announced in the Budget. It may also look into the demands of SEZ players who have sought reduction or even removing the minimum alternative tax
8.Berkshire Hathaway Quarterly Net Income up 31.7%:
· World’s Second Richest Person Warren buffet’s Berkshire Hathawayreported a 31.7% year on year increase in net income to $5.48 billion for the Quarter ended December.
· The Company’s Profit were boosted by improved results in its insurance operations and higher gains from investments and derivatives.
· For all of 2015, profit rose by 21% to $24.08 billion.
9.UK Women are Oldest All-Women Transatlantic Crew:
· Four Yorkshire Womenbecame theOldest all-women crew to row across the Atlantic Ocean.
· The Crew who rowed for68 days across 4800 km included Niki Doeg, Helen butters, Frances Davies and Janette Benaddi.
· The Crew began their journey on December 20, in the canary Islands and arrived in Antigua on Thursday after 67 days, five hours and 2 minutes.
· Moody’s investors Servicehas downgraded the Credit Rating of Oman, thePoorest Gulf Arab Country on the basis of economic output per person, for the first time since issuing its initial rating in 1999.
· Moody’s cut Oman’s rating by two levels to A3, citing the Negative impact of lower oil prices on government finances, economic performances and balance of Payments.
· The filibuster began on Tuesday and had continued around the clock for more than 115 hours by Sunday afternoon, making it the world’s longest, according to the Kyunghyang Shinmun newspaper.
· The marathon filibuster easily surpassed a 58-hour session by 103 members of Canada’s New Democratic Party in 2011.
12.World’s First Boeing 727 make its last Flight:
· World’s First Boeing 727is set to make its last flight, from Paine Field to Boeing Field International (Washington) on March 2.
· After the Flightthe plane will be permanently displayed at the Museum of Flight in the US.
· The AirCraft which has not been airborne since 1991, had made its first flight on February 9,1963.
· President Hassan Rouhani won a resoundingVote of confidence and reformist allies won 29 out of Tehran’s 30 parliamentary seats in elections that could speed Iran’s post-sanctions opening to the world, early results released on Saturday showed.
· Capital Markets Regulator SEBIhas clamped down on 43 Companies so far this year for Raising 1479 Crore from Over 5.2 lakh Investors, without complying with the public issue norms.
· Sebi has ordered 29 of the Companies to refund investors money along with Interest.
15.First BRICS bank loan to India likely for solar project: Kamath:
· The New Development Bank set up by BRICS countries aims to lend up to USD 2 billion this year starting in about two months and the multilateral lender’s first loan to India could be for a green solar energy project, its president K V Kamath said.
Business and Economy:
· Aurobindo Pharmahas received tentativeapproval from the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) for itsRitonavir tablets (100 mg) used for the treatment of human immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)Infection.
· Established in 1986, the Pharmaceutical firm is present in Semi-Synthetic Pencillins and Therapeutic segments such as neuro sciences, anti retrovirals, anti diabetics, and gastroenterology.
17.Google invites Startups for accelerator program:
· Googlehas opened applications for startups fromIndia, Brazil and Indonesia to register for its 2 week accelerator program ‘LaunchPad’till March 31 this year.
· The Program to be held in June, includes all expenses paid trip to Google’s Campus in Mountain View, six months of support and Resources from Google.
· It also includes $50,000 equity free funding to selected Startups
· Whatsappannounced to end support for a number of Operating Systems including Blackberry 10, Nokia S40, Nokia Symbian S60, Android 2.1, Android 2.2 and Windows Phone 7.1 willstop supporting Whatsapp by the end of 2016.
19.Samsung wins $119.6 million Patent Case against Apple:
· A US appeal courtruled in a Favour of Samsung in the $119.6 million patent case against Apple.
Science and Technology:
· A team of MIT Engineers hasdeveloped a new prediction tool that acts as an early warning System for the incoming rogue waves.
· For this, the team simulated every wave in the Surrounding water body using the length and height of each wave to predict their future interactions that could result in rogue waves.
21.India Wins 2 Gold Medals at Race Walking Championships:
· The Opening day of theNational race Walking Championships in Jaipur saw as many as Seven Indians in the 20 Km Category better the Olympic Qualification Timings.
· Gurmeet Singh clinched the Gold in Men’s Category and Khushbir Kaur won the Women’s event.
· India Defeated Pakistan by 5 wickets in the Asia Cup.
· Man of the Match:Virat Kohli (India)
23.Olympics teams to be charged for Mosquito Nets:
· Organisers of the Rio Olympics in Brazil have announced plans to chargeNational delegations for installing mosquito screens on athletes amid the Zika Scare across Brazil
· However, Mosquito screens will only be installed where required in Communal Areas. Brazil’s government early said there could be around 1.5 million people infected with the Virus in the Country.
· Stan Wawrinkawon his ninth straight final with a 6-4, 7-6 (15/13) defeat of Marcos Baghdatis to clinch the Dubai ATP Tennis title
· The French Open champion from Switzerland claimed the 13th title of his careerand second of the season after Chennai, improving to 13-2 in 2016.
· South Indian filmmaker Rajesh Pillai died due to liver problem at the age of 42.
· His latest film Vettah, starring Kunjacko Bobban, Manju Warrier and Indrajith, released recently.
· Rajesh hit the headlines with his film Traffic in 2011which was then remade in other South Indian languages while its Hindi remake was made by the director himself
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here
/ 5. Reviews