Daily Current Affairs Updates– 29th January 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1.Union Ministry of Finance will organise India Investment Summit in New Delhi:
· Union Ministry of Finance will organiseIndia Investment Summit inNew Delhi February 2016.
· The India Investment Summit is being organized to attract investments in infrastructure sector. The focus of the summit will be on investment opportunities in the sectors of road transport, highways, ports, urban infrastructure, railways, power and renewable energy.
2.The second volume of memoirs of President of India Pranab Mukherjee was released with title The Turbulent Years – 1980-1996:
· The second volume ofmemoirs of President of India Pranab Mukherjee was released .
· The book was titled The Turbulent Years – 1980-1996. It was released by VicePresident Hamid Ansari at a function held in Rashtrapati Bhavan.
· The President Pranab Mukherjee stated that many of the parts of this book are from his personal diary.
3.UP IPS Aparna Kumar scales Mount Vinson Massif: The highest peak in Antarctica:
· The Uttar Pradesh state has come up once again with flying colors, withIPS officer Aparna Kumar becoming the first civil servant of the nation to scaleMount Vinson Massif.
· Mount Vinson Massif is the highest peak in Antarctica. Aparna Kumar achieved the feat on 17th January 2016. She hoisted the Tricolour flag and the flag of the Uttar Pradesh Police Service on Mount Vinson Massif.
· IPS officer Aparna Kumar is posted as a DIG telecom in Lucknow. She is a 2002 batch IPS officer. Aparna had embarked on the Antarctic expedition on 5th January 2016 with a team of 10 mountaineers from various countries of the world. Aparna has now scaled 5 out of 7 summits which are considered as the most challenging summits for the mountaineers in the world.
· Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Akhilesh Yadav, awarded her with ‘Rani Lakshmi Bai Puraskar’ for her achievements.
· In Republic day 2016, she was awarded the special DGP Commendation Disc for her achievements.
4. Assam Regiment won the Best Marching Contingent title on the occasion of the Republic Day Parade:
· Assam Regiment won the Best Marching Contingent amongst the three Services on the occasion of the Republic Day Parade held on January 26, 2016. This is to note that 2016 also marks the beginning of the Platinum Jubilee year of the Assam Regiment. Assam Regiment came into existence during Second World War in 1941.
· This Regiment won its first six Battle Honours and Theatre Honour ‘Burma’ in the very first three years of its coming into existence. It is the only Infantry battalion to receive the Battle Honour in Chhamb Sector during the 1971 Indo-Pak war.
5. Union Minister of Urban Development M Venkaiah Naidu announced names of 20 smart cities:
· Union Minister of Urban Development M Venkaiah Naidu announced names of 20 Smart Cities includingBhubaneswar, Pune, Jaipur, Surat, Kochi, Ahmedabad, Jabalpur, Visakhapatnam, Solapur, Indore, Guwahati and New Delhi Muncipal Council.
· The total investment of Rs 50,802 crore was proposed to be spent in the selected smart cities and towns during the five year period. About 1.52 crore citizens will participate in the preparation of Smart City plans at various stages.
· Smart City Plans will demonstrate how integrated planning and smart technologies can deliver better quality of life.
6. NGT asked Government’s to fix environmental norms on noise pollution in residential areas near airports:
· National Green Tribunal (NGT) showed concern over Union Government’s failure to fix environmental norms on noise pollution in residential areas near airports throughout India.
· A bench headed byNational Green Tribunal (NGT) Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar asked Union Ministry of Environment and Forests, Directorate General of Civil Aviation and Central Pollution Control Board to arrange a meeting and take a clear decision on this issue.
7. India overtook Thailand as the world’s largest rice exporter in the year 2015:
· India overtook Thailand as theworld’s largest rice exporter in the year 2015.
· India exported 10.23 million tonnes of rice in 2015. While Thailand exported 9.8 million tonnes of rice in 2015.Vietnam was on the third position among the rice exporters.
8. Gyan Jyoti app helped rural Indian women use modern contraceptives:
· A unique Smartphone app developed by an Indian-American researcher from the Johns Hopkins University has helped married rural women in India better understand contraceptive choices, leading to a dramatic increase in women using modern family planning methods in just a few months.
· According toSanjanthi Velu, Asia team lead at the Johns Hopkins Centre for Communication Programs (CCP), women who watched motivational videos on the app called “Gyan Jyoti” were 4.5 times more likely to use modern contraceptive methods than those who did not.
9. India successfully test fired Akash missile at Chandipur:
· India on 28 January 2016 test fired its indigenously-built surface-to-air Akash missile from complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR).at Chandipuri in Odisha. It was as part of a user trial mission
· Three rounds of test were carried out by Indian Air Force (IAF) personnel aiming at para-barrel targets
About Akash Missile
· The Akash (sky) is a mid-range surface-to-air missile (SAM) system.
· It is developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) of India under the integrated guided-missile development programme (IGMDP).
· IGMDP is also involved the development of the Nag, Agni and Trishul missiles and Prithvi ballistic missile.
· The first missile was delivered to the IAF in March 2012. The missile was formally inducted into the IAF in July 2015.
· The missile can fly at supersonic speeds ranging from Mach 2.8 to 3.5 and can engage aerial targets up to a range of approximately 25 kilometers.
10. Union Government formed expert panel to review Specific Relief Act, 1963:
· The Legislative Department in the Ministry of Law& Justice on 28 January 2016 constituted an expert committee to review the Specific Relief Act, 1963. The committee will have five members besides the Chairman.
· The committee has been asked to submit its report within three months.
· The Specific Relief Act, 1963 provides for the law relating to certain kind of specific relief and has not been amended since its inception.
· The decision was taken in view of tremendous developments that have taken place after 1963 and also in the context of present scenario involving contract based infrastructure development, public private partnerships and other public projects involving huge investments and enforceability of the contracts thereof.
· It is a remedy which aims at the exact fulfillment of an obligation or specific performance of the contract rather than a general relief or damages or compensation. The review of the Act will also ensure ease of doing business.
11. Madhya Pradesh to impose ban on polythene from January 2017:
· Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan directed officials to impose ban on polythene in entire state from January 2017.
· The Chief Minister’s decision came after his review of the activities of Urban Development and Environment and Housing Department in capital Bhopal.
· As per the decision, the ban on polythene will be strictly enforced at tourist destinations and holy cities Ujjain, Amarkantak, Khajuraho, Pachmarhi, Maheshwar, Omkareshwar and Orchha from September 2016.
· Besides, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has also directed the officials to chalk outa scheme for developing a new green field city between Bhopal and Indore.
12. Union Government launched National Job Portal for Persons with Disabilities:
· The Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawar chand Gehlot launched the National level Job portalwww.disabilityjobs.gov.infor Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).
· The Ministry aims tocarry out skill training programme for 5 lakh Persons with Disabilities in next 3 years.
Highlights of the job portal:
· It was developed by theNational Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC).
· The PwDs can avail the different facilities like self employment loan, education loan, skill training, link to scholarships and information about jobs at this portal.
· It will empower persons with disabilities by providing them all desired information for employment opportunities on single window platform.
13.MSDE signed MoU with Yashaswi Academy to provide 1 lakh trade apprentices for youth:
· Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship in line with Prime Minister’s vision to make India skill capital of the world, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) withYashaswi Academy for Skills with an objective to exponentially expand the number of apprentices in India by committing to take necessary steps required to motivate today’s youth as well as employers to participate in the program.
· Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship:Rajiv Pratap Rudy
14.Customs Department Launches Mobile app:
· A mobile-based application has been launched by the customs to inform people about all Indian customs rules including those related to import of pets and goods.
· The app–Indian Customs-Guide to Travellers has been developed by IRS officer Sandeep Kumar Rawal, now posted as Joint Director, Regional Training Institute of National Academy of Customs Excise and Narcotics(NACEN), Bhopal in coordination with Bengaluru customs
· It is a first-of-its-kind mobile application in the world which contains a ready reckoner of the customs baggage rules and entitlement of passengers coming from various countries. The application provides information to users as per their need. After installation of app on smart phones, it works in offline mode.
· It alsoprovides 24 x 7 contact details of customs officers in major Indian airports.
· International Customs Day- January 26
15. China and Iran signed 17 agreements to broaden Bilateral Cooperation:
· China and Iran signed17 agreements to broaden bilateral cooperation, were signed inTehranduring theChinese President Xi Jin Ping’s visit to Iran.
16. France’s Justice Minister Christiane Taubira resigned:
· France’s Justice MinisterChristiane Taubira resigned due to her disagreement with the French Government over thenew anti-terrorism proposal.
· This anti-terrorism proposal will introduce the provision that the people who are convicted of terrorism offences will be stripped of their citizenship.
17. Japanese Economy Minister Akira Amari resigned:
· Japanese Economy MinisterAkira Amari resigned. He was alleged for corruption. Mr.Akira Amari held the position of Minister of state for economic and fiscal policy since 2012.
18.World Health Organization set up a Zika emergency team:
· The World Health Organization (WHO) set up aZika emergency team after the outbreak of Zika virus.
· Zika has been linked to thousands of babies being born with small brains in Brazil. Zika emergency team will meet on February 1, 2016 in order to decide if Zika should be treated as a international emergency.
· The last time an international emergency was declared for the Ebola outbreak in West Africa which killed more than 11,000 people.
· WHO Director General-Margaret Chan
19. A British woman Sue York became the first person in the world to have a pancreas transplant:
· A British woman namedSue York became the first person in the world to have apancreas transplant because of a severe needle phobia.
· Sue York had type-1 diabetes since she was seven years old. She was afraid of injecting herself with insulin.
20. 31 members of OECD signed an agreement that will stop companies from using complex tax arrangements:
· 31 members of Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) agreed to sign the rules that will stop companies from using complex tax arrangements to avoid paying corporate tax.
· These 31 members include countries like France and UK. This is to note that this agreement between theOECD members includes the provision of sharing information on tax-issues.
· Companies like Google, Amazon and Facebook will now pay tax in the country where the profits are made.
21. Iran, Airbus signed deal to buy 118 Airbus planes:
· Iran and Airbussigned two agreements covering new aircraft orders and a comprehensive civil aviation co-operation package. The agreement includes purchase of 118 new Airbus aircrafts.
· The agreement for 118 new aircraft includes 21 A320ceo family, 24 A320neo family, 27 A330ceo family, 18 A330neo (-900), 16 A350-1000 and 12 A380.
· The agreements were signed at the Elysee Palace, Paris, duringIranian President Hassan Rouhani’s official visit to France with French President Francois Hollande
22. IMF implemented 2010 Quota and Governance Reforms:
· The International Monetary Fund (IMF) implemented the long-pending 2010 Quota and Governance Reforms.
· The reforms represent a major step towards the increasing role of dynamic emerging market and developing countries. The entry into force of these reforms will reinforce the credibility, effectiveness, and legitimacy of the IMF
Reason for the delay in implementation of reforms:
· The 2010 Quota and Governance reforms were approved by the IMF’s Board of Governors in December 2010. However, their implementation got delayed due to the time taken by the US Congress to approve the changes.
· The US Senate approved the changes in December 2015 paving the way for the implementation of the reforms
23.Gurdeep Singh appointed as CMD of NTPC:
· Gurdeep Singhwas appointed as theChairman and Managing Director (CMD) of NTPC Ltd.
· Singh will be the first person to be appointed to the top job at a Maharatna company through a search committee route.
· The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved the appointment of Singh for aperiod of five years from the date of assumption of charge of the post.
· The post of chairman and managing director at NTPC fell vacant after Arup Roy Choudhury completed his five year term on 31 August 2015
24.Asian Development Bank and Government of India signed $80million loan agreement:
· The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed an $80 million loan agreement.
· This $80million loan will be used for the development of infrastructure in twoNorth Eastern State Capital cities- Agartala and Aizwal.
· This loan is the third tranche of a $200 million financing facility under the North Eastern Region Capital cities Development Investment Program.
25. Bank of Japan announced introduction of negative interest rates from February to counter deflationary trend:
· The Bank of Japan (BOJ) said, after a two-day policy board meeting, it wouldintroduce negative interest rates from next month.
· The decision came to encourage more lending and business spending amid projections that the central bank will not achieve its two percent inflation goal as oil prices slide and a global economic downturn threatens to further impact spending.
· Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda
AWARDS AND HONORS:
26.Well-known wild life film maker Naresh Bedi chosen for V Shantaram Life Time Achievement Award at MIFF 2016:
· Well-known wild life film maker Naresh Bedi was chosen for the V Shantaram Life Time Achievement Award at 14th edition of Mumbai International Festival.
· The 14th edition of Mumbai International Festival (MIFF) was inaugurated in Mumbai on January 28, 2016.
· Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Colonel Rajyvardhan Rathore inaugurated MIFF 2016. Few of the famous documentaries that will be screened during MIFF 2016 includes For the Love of a Man -about the cult of Rajnikant in South India and Among the Believers, The Look of Silence, etc. MIFF 2016 was organized by the Films Division in collaboration with Maharashtra Government.
· It is the largest festival of non-feature films in South Asia.MIFF takes place in every two years
27.Persons of Indian origin awarded Medal of order of Australia:
· Australia’s highest civilian honour, Medal of order of Australia, was awarded to3 persons of Indian origin.
· The award was conferred for their contribution in their respective fields ofEngineering, Medicine, and Physics.
· The announcement of award was done on 26th January 2016, Australia Day. The awardees wereChennupati Jagadish, who is a professor at Canberra’s Australian National University (ANU),Sajeev Koshy, a dentist in Melbourne, andJay Chandra who is an eye doctor in New South Wales.
28.Indian Human Rights Activist Henri Tiphagne chosen for Amnesty International Human Rights Award 2016:
· Indian lawyer and Human Rights Activist, Henri Tiphagne was chosen for the 8th Human Rights Award byAmnesty International Germany.
· The Amnesty International Human Rights Award 2016 will be presented at an official ceremony on April 25, 2016 at the Maxim Gorki Theatre in Berlin. As per Amnesty International Germany, Henri Tiphagne will be awarded for his“exceptional commitment to human rights”.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
29.Intelsat launched the first of its new Epic telecommunications spacecraft named Intelsat 29e:
· Communications satellite services provider, Intelsat launched itsfirst Epic telecommunications spacecraft named Intelsat 29e through Arianespace’s Ariane 5 ECA launch vehicle from the Guiana Space Center inKourou, French Guiana.
· Intelsat 29eis the first of the Intelsat’s Epic^NG high throughput satellites. It will provide customers with superior connections at a lower cost.
30.Google’s AlphaGo software defeated the European champion of the board game Go:
· A Google artificial intelligence program using theAlphaGo software defeated theEuropean champion of the board game “Go”.
· The tech company’s DeepMind division stated that AlphaGo software defeated its human rival five games to nil.“Go” is a Chinese game that is supposed to be a much tougher challenge than a chess game
31.NASA: Hubble Space Telescope spots monstrous hydrogen Smith Cloud boomeranging back to our galaxy:
· NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope has spotted a monstrous cloud of hydrogen gas that is plummeting toward our galaxy at nearly 1.1 million km per hour.
· Though hundreds of enormous, high-velocity gas clouds whiz around the outskirts of our galaxy, this so-called“Smith Cloud” is unique because its trajectory is well known. New Hubble observations suggest it was launched from the outer regions of the galactic disk, around 70 million years ago
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
32. Marriott launches first dual branded Indian hotel:
· Marriottlaunches has opened itsfirst dual branded property in India- Courtyard and Fairfield- with a 300 crore investment in Bengaluru.
· The Dual Branded strategy will help cut operational and construction costs while giving customers different experiences, the company’s Asia Pacific President said.
· Marriott intends to increase capacity by adding 1200 rooms to the existing 8000 in India.
33.Yahoo shuts operations in Mexico, Argentina:
· Yahoo has shut down its operation inMexico and Argentina as a part of its strategy to downsize regional operations, especially in Latin America.
· Yahoo CEO-Marissa Mayer
34.Facebook giant Mark Zuckerberg became Sixth richest person in the world:
· Mark Zuckerberg, has become the sixth richest person in the world as per the Bloomberg’s Billionaires Index.
· The list is topped byBill Gates followed byAmancio Ortega and Warren Buffett. Mukesh Ambaniof India is ranked at 31st place,Ajim Premji at 54th andShiv Nadar at 71st. Mark saw his net worth pitched to around $47.5 Billion as of 4PM ET on the vigour of the social network’s recent quarterly results. He stands behind Mexican telecommunications tycoon Carlos Slim Helu
35. Airtel and Axiata to merge Bangladesh operations:
· Axiata Group Berhad (Axiata) and Bharti Airtel will merge their telecom operations in Bangladesh.
· Both companies have signed a definitive agreement to merge their subsidiaries in Bangladesh — Robi Axiata Limited (Robi) and Airtel Bangladesh Ltd (Airtel).
· Upon completion, Axiata will hold 68.3 per cent controlling stake in the combined entity, while Bharti will hold 25 per cent. The remaining 6.7 per cent will be held by the existing shareholder, NTT Docomo of Japan
36.Mirza-Hingis win Australian Open Doubles Title:
· The Top Seeded Pair ofSania Mirza and Martina Hingisclinched theAustralian open women’s doubles title after defeating Lucie Hradecka and Andrea Hlavackova in the finals.
· The Indo-Swiss pair defeated the Czech duo in straight sets 7-6 6-3.
· With thisworld number one pair won their third Grand slam title and 36th match on the trot.
37.Pakistan Cricketer Imran Farhat retired from International Cricket:
· Pakistan Opener Imran Farhatretired from international cricket. He made the announcement after getting No-Objection Certificate from Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).
· With this, he would be eligible to play a T20 tournament for retired cricketers calledMasters Champions League (MCL).
· It is the PCB’s policy that players who sign for the MCL have to completely retire from International Cricket. However, they can play the domestic cricket.
38.Australian diving player Matthew Mitcham retired from the sport:
· Australian diving player Matthew Mitcham announced his retirement from the sport of diving.
· Mitcham won the 10m platform at the 2008 Beijing Games and 10m synchro platform at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. He is the first Australian male to win Olympic gold in diving since Dick Eve in 1924.
39.Navneet Kaur, Santosh Kadale won gold in Senior National Rowing Championship:
· Punjab’s Navneet Kaur won two gold medals in the34th Senior National Rowing Championship at Hussainsagar Lake, Hyderabad.
· It was her maiden gold at the country’s highest level in the senior category.
· Kaur took 8:26.83 seconds to take the first place in the 2000mts Open Single Scull. Later, Navneet and Harpreet Kaur won the women’s doubles sculls timing 7:42.94 seconds.
· In the men single scull, Nasik’s Santosh Kadale won his maiden national gold.
· Host Telangana men team had to be contended with a silver in the Open Men’s Coxless while K Tejeshwar Reddy bagged a bronze medal for Andhra Pradesh in single scull
40.Ishika Shah won 12th Sub-Junior National Snooker championship title:
· 14-year old Ishika Shah won the12th Sub-Junior National Snooker championship title in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
· To win the title, she defeated Anushi Seth by 50-2, 50-33 in the final match.
· To reach the finals, she defeated the defending champion Doyel Dey in the semi-final. Incidentally, Ishika lost the title to Doyel in the summit clash held in Kolkata in 2015.
· However, Doyel retained the sub-junior billiards title. The title was awarded to her when the original winner, Lahiri Sinapara, was found two months over-aged than the prescribed 18 years age limit.
· Both the snooker and billiards championship were held as part of the 20-day long National Billiards& Snooker Championship 2016 that began on 12 January 2016 in Indore
42.Former minister and freedom fighter Maheswar Baug died:
· Former minister and freedom fighter Maheswar Baug died at the district headquarter hospital in Balasore, Odisha. He was 85.
About Maheswar Baug:
· He was minister for works and health during chief ministership of Nilamani Routray in 1977.
· He was twice elected as the Member of Legislative Assembly from Basta constituency in Balasore district in 1961 and 1977.
· He was associated in many social organizations all along his life and was inspired by Ram Manohar Lohia
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here