Daily Current Affairs Updates – 6th February 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1). Vice President Hamid Ansari completes his visit to Thailand:
· Vice-President Hamid Ansari left Thailand after concluding a five-day tour of Thailand and Brunei.He held talks with the top leadership of the two countries on ways to enhance bilateral ties.
· During his three-day stay here, Ansari held talks withPrime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, delivered a speech at the prestigious Chulalongkorn University, addressed the Indian community.
2). Prime Minister dedicated Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited to Nation:
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated theBrahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BCPL) at Lepetkata, Assam to the nation.
· The 10000-crore plant is the first ever petro-chemical project in the entireNorth-East and it will make raw material for manufacturing plastic.
· Besides, the Prime Minister also dedicatedIndia’s highest wax producing unit using indigenous technology inNumaligarh Refinery Limited to the nation.
3). Union Government approved Heritage development projects for Andhra Pradesh and Telangana:
· Union Ministry of Urban Development approved projects worth over 12 crore rupees for improving tourist infrastructure in heritage places ofAmaravati in Andhra Pradesh andWarangal in Telangana.
· Amaravati and Warangal are among the 12 cities included in theHeritageDevelopment and Augmentation Yojana (HRIDAY) for improving the social, cultural and economic ecosystems.
· An inter-Ministerial HRIDAY National Empowered Committee approved development of a Heritage Park in Amaravatiand developmental works at 1000 Pillar Temple and Kazipet Durgah and rejuvenation of pond atPadmakshi Temple in Warangal city.
4). Labour Ministry signed agreements with organizations engaged in employment& career activities:
· Union Labour Ministry signed agreements with leading organizations engaged in employment and career related activities. The agreements were signed to exploit the potential of theNational Career Service (NCS) project.
· The MoUs signed withUber, Quikr, Monster, Tech Mahindra, Babajobs, India Staffing Federation, Buzzmatic Ventures and GoldFish will help in widening the scope and scale of the project.
· This partnership will also provide transparent and credible platform and save both employers and job seekers from possible fraudulent practices.
5). Consumers can send Whatsapp messages to complaint against over pricing:
· Consumers who are charged more than the MRP can now file their complaints onWhats App or dial up the Weights and Measures department for appropriate action.
· An official from the state Food and Civil Supplies department said that people can nowWhats App their complaints on 9869691666 or dial 022-22886666 between 10 AM to 5.30 PM to register their complaints.
· It could be made mandatory for shopkeepers, eateries and other establishments selling food items to put up these numbers for public knowledge. Also these numbers would function 24X7 soon.
6). Delhi High Court stayed Delhi Government order on removing management quota from schools:
· Delhi High Courthas stayed Delhi government’s orderscrapping management quota in nursery admissions in private unaided schools.
· Justice Manmohanin his interim order yesterday said the decision was taken without the authority of law. He said the autonomy of private unaided schools with regard to nursery admissions cannot be restricted by an office order and has to be done under the law.
7). International Fleet review began at Visakhapatnam:
· The opening ceremony ofInternational Fleet Review 2016 was held inVisakhapatnamat Indian Navy’s Eastern Fleet Command Stadium,INS Satavahana.
· Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan will be the Chief Guest for the event andChief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu will grace the occasion.
· The event will also be attended by Members of Parliament, State Ministers, Member of Legislative Assembly and Legislative council of Andhra Pradesh.
8). Union Government to encourage use of plastics:
· Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has said that the Union Government is encouraging investments in petrochemical sector and plans to double per capita consumption of plastics from the present 10 kg per person 20 kg a person by 2022.
· He said this while speaking at the‘Indian Oil Petrochemical Conclave 2016′in Mumbai yesterday. Mr Pradhan further said that this would require setting up of one naphtha cracker plant every year.
9). Indian Army soldiers missing in Avalanche in siachen declared dead:
· InJammu and Kashmir, Army has declared dead its 10 soldiers who were swept away by a massivesnow avalanche in Siachen area of Ladakh region.
· Public Relations Officer of Udhampur-based Northern Command, Col S D Goswami said General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Northern Command, Lt General D S Hooda, expressed grief over the deaths.
10). National Organic Farming Research Institute to be established in Sikkim:
· National Organic Farming Research Institute will be established in Sikkim by upgrading the Regional Centre of theIndian Council of Agricultural Research in Gangtok.
· The decision to this effect was taken by theUnion Agriculture Minister Radhamohan Singhand Sikkim Agriculture Minister Som Nath Paudyal in New Delhi.
11). First Kerala Literature Festival began at Kozhikode:
· In Kerala,the maiden Kerala Literature Festival began atKozhikode. The Festival will have an array of contemporary topics set for discussion in its various sessions over four days.
· Spirituality, social media, women’s issues, Dalit issues, freedom of expression, environment issues, and media activism would be the key topics that will be discussed, besides literature in its various genres.
12). Food safety commission to be formed in Maharashtra to implement PDS:
· Maharashtra government has informed the Bombay High Court that it would appoint theFood Safety Commission within three months to ensure distribution of Foodgrains to beneficiaries underPublic distribution system (PDS) of the Union and the state Governments.
· Government Pleader Abhinandan Vagyani assured this to a bench headed by Justice Naresh Patil.
· Under the National Food Security Act of 2013, it is mandatory to constitute a Food Safety Commission.
13). Bombay High Court asks Maharashtra Government to disclose policy to lay optical fibre cables:
· The Bombay High Court has asked Maharashtra government to disclose in an affidavit its policy for allowing telecom companies to lay downunderground Optical Fibre Cables (OFC) for broadband and mobile connectivity.
· The direction was given yesterday by a bench headed by Justices Abhay Oka on a public interest litigation.
· The PIL stated that the unauthorised laying down of cables, ducts after illegal excavation of road created problems for vehicular traffic movement and also resulted in losses to public exchequer.
14). FDI growing by 38% in India while FDI is slowing down globally:
· Foreign direct investment inIndia is growing at 38 per cent even as it has witnessed a decline of 16 per cent at the global level.
· Union Commerce and Industry MinisterNirmala Sitharaman said this while addressing the‘Invest Karnataka 2016′ global investors meet in Bengaluru.
· Mrs.Sitharaman said India’s brand image has been built in the last two years due to extensive tours by the Prime Minister.
15). India ready to address Sri Lanka’s concerns on economy pact:
· India has come forward to host a workshop later this month in Colombo on the proposedEconomic and Technological Cooperation Agreement to address concerns on the side of Sri Lanka.
· The initiative of India was in response to criticism from certain quarters that the proposed agreement would take away jobs of Sri Lankan professionals.
· Sampoor project:
· Ms Pall announced that the500-MW Sampoor thermal power project, a joint venture involvingSri Lanka and India.
· Chairman of the Ceylon Electricity Board,Anura Wijayapala, who also heads theTrincomalee Power Company Limited [a special purpose vehicle for the project,it had been planned to get the project commissioned by the middle of 2020.
16). Arun Jaitley launches Finance Ministry’s official YouTube channel:
· Finance Minister Arun Jaitley launched the official YouTube channel of the Ministry with a view todisseminate information on a real-time basis.
· The channel showcases videos featuring schemes launched by thePM – Jan Dhan Yojana Launch, Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana, Insurance schemes, among several others.
· The channel also has videos of the reforms introduced in the Union Budget 2015 and several speeches ofFinance Minister Arun Jaitley at Press Conferences.
· Watch The official YouTube channel of Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
17). Free local SIM for foreign tourists on arrival:
· International visitors to India availing theelectronic Tourist Visa (eTV) facility would soon get SIM cards on their arrival in the country. The move is not only aimed at attracting more foreign tourists to make India a global holiday destination but also to address security concerns.
· The proposal was made by the Ministry of Tourism to give a boost to the sector in the country by sending a message that international tourists can plan a hassle-free visit to India.
· Sources said there is a view that onlyBSNL SIM cardsshould be provided since it’s a state-owned telecom company but a final decision is awaited.
18). Government plans to sell its books directly via Amazon, Flipkart:
· The government plans to start directly offering the books it publishes through online platforms such asAmazon, Flipkart and Google Play.
· The process is likely to start with the annual ‘India’ compendium followed by another 150 books. It also plans to start selling digital versions at a 25% discount.
· The Publications Division of the information and broadcasting ministry is in talks with ecommerce companies on the plan, said officials aware of the matter. “Now, the publications division wants to sell it directly also. We are gearing up for this.”This year’s ‘India’ book is likely to be launched on February 18.
19). India, Nepal to hold military training exercise Surya Kiran from February 8:
· The ninth Indo-Nepal combined battalion-level military training exercise‘Surya Kiran’will be conducted atPithoragarhfrom February 8 to 21, 2016 under the aegis of Panchshul brigade of central command
· Surya Kiran series of exercises isa bi-annual event conducted alternatively in India and Nepal
20). Welder’s son from Bihar lands Rs. 1-cr job in Microsoft:
· In an inspiring tale of triumph against adversities, a final-year student ofIIT Kharagpur, who is the son of a welder in Bihar, has bagged a job with US-based Microsoft with anannual starting salary of 1.02 crore.
About Sing Chauhan:
· 21-year-old Vatsalya Singh Chauhan, who bagged the dream job, hails from Khagariya village in the eastern State where his father runs a small welding workshop.
· Vatsalya says he had overcome a poor performance in 2009 at a coaching institute here to clear the IIT entrance exam with an All-India Rank of 382.
21). USA to give $ 450 Million to Columbia to assist in its peace plan:
· President Barack Obama promised yesterday to provide more financial aid and other support for Colombia as its government prepares to finalize a peace deal with left-wing guerrillas it has battled for more than 50 years.
· After meeting withColombian President Juan Manuel Santos at the White House, Obama announced additional funding and other measures he said would help Colombia rebuild after reaching a peace accord with the Marxist rebel group Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC.
22). Saudi Arabia ready to join Ground operations against ISIS in a US led coalition:
· Saudi Arabiais ready to join any ground operation of the US-led coalition against theIslamic State group in Syria
· A general from the kingdomBrigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri said, if there is any willingness in the coalition to go in the ground operation, Saudi Arabia will contribute positively in that.
· Since late 2014 Saudi Arabia has been part of a US-led coalition which officially has 65 members and has been bombing the Islamic State’s Sunni extremist group which seized large parts of Syria and Iraq.
23). Julian Assange founder of Wikileaks arbitrarily detained by Sweden and Britain: UN Panel:
· UN panel examining the case ofWikiLeaks founder Julian Assange today said, he had been arbitrarily detained by both Sweden and Britain and called on both countries to compensate him.
· The panel comprising five independent rights experts insisted Assange’s detention should be brought to an end to respect his physical integrity and freedom of movement and that he should be entitled to an enforceable right to compensation.
24). Disaster declared in Zimbabwe due to drought:
· Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has declared a state of disaster in most rural parts of the country severely hit by a drought, with 26 percent of the population said to be in need of food aid.
· Declaring a state of disaster allows international donors to raise money quickly to provide food aid to Zimbabwe.
25). Strong quake hits Taiwan:
· Rescuers in the southernTaiwanese city of Tainan pulled out 221 people from two residential high-rises that collapsed when a shallow6.4-magnitude earthquake struck before dawn Saturday, leaving still others trapped inside.
· Firefighters and soldiers scrambled to the site with ladders, cranes and other equipment and extracted dazed survivors from the buildings that were lying on one side of the road.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
26). Paytm ties up with Indian Oil for petrol payment:
· Online payments and m-commerce platform,Paytm tied up with Indian Oil to let its users pay for petrol through its mobile wallet.
· The news was shared byVijay Shekhar Sharma, Paytm Founder and CEO, on his Facebook timeline.
27). Adani Power to build $2 billion power plant:
· Adani Power Ltdwill soon sign a deal to set upa $2.2 billion coal-based power plant in easternJharkhand state, as its controlling shareholder aims to nearly double capacity this decade.
· The utility, controlled by billionaire Gautam Adani, plans to build two power units with atotal capacity of 1,600 megawatts (MW) and construction could begin by December.
28). Tata Motors launches contest for renaming Zica:
· Previously named Zica, an acronym derived fromZippy Car, the hatchback was first publicly showcased at the Auto Expo 2016 in New Delhi.
· While it carries the ‘Zica’ label for the duration of the event, the new name will be announced after a few weeks, Over the next three days, the company will receive all entries through its social media channels.
29). Mahindra AMC received SEBI nod for Mutual Fund business:
· Mahindra Asset Management Company (AMC) receivedSecurities and Exchange Board of India’s (SEBI’s)approval to manage the Mahindra Mutual Fund.
· Mahindra AMC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mahindra& Mahindra Financial Services (MMFS), a part of the Anand Mahindra-led Mahindra group
· Currently, about 40 mutual fund houses are operation in the country. HDFC MF, ICICI Prudential and Reliance MF are among the top mutual fund companies in India
· Reliance Infrastructure Ltd (RInfra) announced the signing of Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) with Birla Corporation Ltd in relation to 100 percent sale of its subsidiary Reliance Cement Company Private Limited (RCCPL).
· While RInfra is an entity of the Anil Ambani-headed Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (Reliance ADAG), Birla Corp is the flagship Company of the M P Birla Group.
· The deal was valued at 4800 crore rupees or 140 US dollars per tonne and the proceeds will utilized by RInfra towards debt reduction.
· Under the SPA, the Birla Corp will acquire an integrated cement capacity of5.08 Metric tonnes per annum (Mtpa) at Maihar, Madhya Pradesh and Kundanganj, Uttar Pradesh and a grinding unit of 0.5 Mtpa at Butibori, Maharashtra.
· Dinabandhu Mohapatra, the new Executive Director of Canara Bank, is a post-graduate with a degree in Law, CAIIB and Diploma in Computer Application.
· Mohapatra, who took charge as ED of Canara Bank recently, started his banking career with Bank of India as Probationary Officer in 1984.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· Whats App groups are perhaps one of the most buzzing closed social networks. The 50-member limit was upped to 100 in November 2014 and now the Facebook-owned instant messaging service hasmore than doubled the limit to 256.
· This is however yet to be available to all Whats App users and quite like many other features, this is being added to the version of the Android app that can be downloaded directly from its website.
· Facebook had acquired Whats App for $22 billion in 2014
33). NASA’s New Horizons mission spotted floating hills on Pluto:
· NASA’s New Horizons mission on 14 July 2015 spotted the nitrogen ice glaciers on Pluto appeared to carry numerous isolated hills which are likely to be the fragments of water ice, as per the press release of NASA on 4 February 2016.
· As the nitrogen-dominated ice is dense than water ice, it is believed that newly found water ice hills are floating in a sea of frozen nitrogen and resembles icebergs in Earth’s Arctic Ocean. These hills individually measure one to several miles or kilometers across.
· These hills are another example of Pluto’s fascinating and abundant geological activity and are likely to be fragments of the rugged uplands and smaller versions of the large and jumbled mountains on Sputnik Planum’s western border
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi opened the12th South Asian Games (SAG) in Guwahati, Assam.
· The opening ceremony was held at theIndira Gandhi Athletics Stadium, Sarusajai Sports Complex.
· Over 2,500 athletes from8 SAARC nations – India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Nepal, Bhutan and the Maldives – are taking part in the Games.
35). Shane Watson becomes IPL’s million-dollar baby with Bangalore’s:
· Australian all-rounder Shane Watson became the first million-dollar buy of the Indian Premier League players’ auction going to Royal Challengers Bangalore for a whoppingRs 9.5 crore ($1.39 million)after an intense bidding war.
· India’s Yuvraj Singhwasn’t third-time lucky in terms of being the biggest buy but Sunrisers Hyderabadentered late into the fray to buy him for Rs 7 crore ($1.03 million).
· The full squad:Mahendra Singh Dhoni (c), Rohit Sharma, Shikar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravindra Jadeja , Hardik Pandya, R Ashwin, Harbhajan Singh, Jasprit Bhumrah, Ashish Nehra, Pawan Negi, Mohd Shami
· Since the squad is meant for both the Asia Cup and World Cup, one can expect Shami to be handled with care in the days leading to the World Cup where India begins its campaign on March 15.
· With Virat Kohli returning to the squad after being rested for the Sri Lanka series, Manish Pandey had to make way
· The founder of soul group Earth, Wind& Fire,Maurice White, has died in the US. White 74 suffered from Parkinson’s Disease.
· Earth, Wind& Fire were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000, and Maurice was individually inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2010.
· Popularly known by his nickname ofReese.
38). NASA Astronaut Edgar Mitchell died:
· NASA Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who was the sixth man to walk on the Moon, died in West Palm Beach, Florida. The lunar module pilot on Apollo 14 died at the age of 85.
· His death occurred on the eve of the 45th anniversary of his lunar landing, which took place on 5 February 1971.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here