Daily Current Affairs Updates – 7th February 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
1). Health Minister Approves proposal for common test:
· Union Health Minister JP NADDA has approved Medical Council of India’s proposal to amend theIndian Medical Council Actto hold a nationwide common medical entrance test.
· The proposal calls for aone country, one medical exam, for undergraduate and post graduate medical courses in colleges.
2). Sanskrit University to be setup in Jharkhand:
· The Central Government agreed to Jharkhand’s Proposal of Setting up aSanskrit University in the Deoghar District.
· The Decision came after a meeting that took place betweenJharkhand CM Raghubar Das and Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani, in New Delhi.
· The HRD ministry will also help to increase the education level in Jharkhand
3). India gets first fully solar powered Institute:
· The Sri Aurobindo International Centre for Education(SAICE),Puducherry has become India’s first fully solar powered educational Institute.
· The Institute generates three times the electricity it consumes through solar power plants installed on the roofs on the dining room, primary school,library and high school in the campus.
· SAICE has been self-reliant in energy since September 2014.
4). Metro to be expanded to Greater Faridabad:
· Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattatar said that the metro rail service would be extended up to Greater Faridabad after its Expansion from YMCA Chowk to Ballabgarh is completed.
5). Chhattisgarh to form JV company with Railways:
· The Chhattisgarh government has signed a Mou with theministry of Railways to form a joint Venture company with the Indian Railways.
· The Venture will Identify viable rail projects in the state and implement them.
· Under the MoU,the state government will reportedly have 51% share and theRailways will have 49% share.
6). Delhi Government posts record VAT Collection in January:
· The Delhi Government announced that it has made a record monthly VAT collection of over2000 crore in January this Year.
· The introduction of‘most efficient awards’ earlier has enthused the Officers and Staff of the Department to work with greater Zeal, S S Yadav, Commissioner, Trade and Taxes.
7). IRCTC launches ‘Bharat Darshan’ Train Packages:
· The IRCTC launched four‘Bharat Darshan’special train packages from Delhi and Chandigarh that cover popular destinations inSouth India and Goa.
· Each package has been priced atRs.830 per day per person. All the four packages include confirmed train tickets, sightseeing, accommodation, vegetarian food, besides facilities of security guards and Housekeeping.
8). Government Withdraws customs exception on 74 Drugs:
· TheCentral Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC)has withdrawn customs duty exemption on theimport of 74 drugs including the ones used for treating HIV and Cancer.
9). President inspects International Fleet review:
· President Pranab Mukherjee inspected theInternational Fleet Review(IFR) 2016 just off the coast of Vishakapatnam.
· Around 75 Indian Warships sailed past thePresidents Yacht INS Sumitra that also hosted by PM Modi, Defense Minister Parrikar and the three Service Chiefs
· IFR 2016 could be India’s largest Maritime Event.
10). Maharashtra plans to bring Anti-Spitting Bill:
· Due to the increasing number of infectious diseases in the state,Maharashtra government will introduce a bill banning spitting in public places in the upcoming state Legislature Budget Session.
· State government will impose heavy fines on the offenders and make them do social services such as clean public places.
11). India Post to invest 322 Crore on Parcel Handling:
· India Postreportedly proposed to invest 322 crore to augment its parcel handling capacity through which it projects to earn 1608 crore in revenue.
· The Postal department serves over 400 customers including major e-commerce players likeAmazon,Flipkart, and Snapdeal would be handling 40 lakh parcelsper month in the near Future.
12). Several Cities more Polluted than Delhi:
· According to recentCentral Pollution Control Board(CPCB) data, Delhi stood sixth in terms of air pollution in January, withMuzaffarpur(Bihar) and Varanasi topping the list.
· The data compares the Air Quality Index(AQI) of 24 cities across India. WHO had earlier termed Delhi to be the most Polluted City in the World in terms of Air Pollution.
13). North Korea launches long Range rocket:
· North Korealaunched along range rocket to put a satellite into orbit earlier today amid allegations that the launch was actually a missile test.
· North Korea had earlier notified UN bodies of its plan to launch anEarth Observation Satellite
14). UN releases stamps on LGBT Issue for first time:
· TheUnited Nations Postal Administration (UNPA)issued 6 new postage stamps which for the first time are based on the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) theme.
· Through this UNPA is promoting the UN Free and Equal campaign for ensuring fair treatment of the LGBT community.
· The Stamps explore issues including ‘Gay Families’ and ‘Coming Out’.
15). France bans supermarkets from Wasting Food:
· Francebecame theWorld’s first country to ban supermarkets from wasting or destroying unsold food by forcing them to donate it to charities and food banks.
· The law was passed unanimously by the French Senate. Campaigns rallied for such a law to curb the food waste as thecountry reportedly wastes 7.1 million tonnes of Food annually.
BANKING AND ECONOMY:
16). AMFI Proposes more Tax breaks for Mutual Funds:
· The Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI), in its pre budget proposals, has asked the government to consider additional tax benefits for investors.
· The industry body has sought equal treatment of pension products of Mutual funds and National Pension System(NPS).
· Separate Tax exemption forEquity-linked savings scheme (ELSS) and more tax incentives for infrastructure debt mutual funds.
17). Gold Extends gains to hit 9-month High:
· Gold Prices increased for the seventh consecutive day to surge to a nine monthhigh of 27,700 and 27550 per ten grams of Gold of 99.9 and 99.5% purity respectively.
· Bullion Traders attributed the rise to domestic wedding season-triggered jewellery demand and global cues like a sell-off in equities and signs of uneven economic growth in US.
18). RBI to buyback Inflation Indexed Bonds:
· The RBI said the government will repurchase theinflation indexed bonds(IIBs)maturing in 2023,for an aggregate amount of 6500 crore, through a reverse auction on February 11.
· Inflation-indexed bond is a type of bond in which the principal is indexed toofficial inflation or deflation data on a daily basis(Wholesale Price Index for India).
19). IT Department cautions taxpayers against Online Fraud:
· The Income Tax Department cautioned Tax payers not to share confidential or financial information over e-mail.
· It also directing tax payers not to open such e-mails falling in spam folders or reply to them
20). IMF chief expresses optimism over Indian Economy:
· International Monetary Fund(IMF) chief Christian Lagarde said the global economic body is quite bullish about India, while forecasting 7.5% growth for the 2016-17 fiscal.
· She further called India, one of the major beneficiaries of the lower oil prices and also expressed her hope for the passage of Critically Important reforms like GST and Land Acquisition bills.
21). CBDT concerned over low direct tax Collections:
· The Central Board of Direct Taxes(CBDT) has written to the Income Tax Department showing concern over low tax collections this fiscal.
· The IT department has collected 5.21 lakh crore till January against a target of 7.98 lakh crore for the fiscal, a shortfall of 35% with only 2 months left.
· CBDT asked the IT department to expedite Collections.
22). Tax reforms proposed in gems and Jewellery Sector:
· The Commerce and Industry has proposed several tax reforms related to customs and excise duties for thelabour-intensive leather and gems and Jewellery sectors for the budget 2016-17.
· The recommendations are reportedly aimed at Upgrading Technology,expanding manufacturing activity and acheiving the target of boosting exports under the ‘Make in India’ Initiative.
23). Jet Airways report its highest quarterly Profit:
· Air Carrier Jet Airways reported its highest ever quarterly profit of467 crore for the quarter ended December, registering a 640% profit growth compared to the year ago.
· The sales for the quarterincreased 7.7% to 5544 Crore. The Rise in profits was attributed to lower fuel prices, higher airline traffic and enhanced aircraft utilization.
24). Onion Exports hit 1.5 Lakh tonne per month:
· After the restrictions on the Onion Exports were lifted in December 2015 around1.5 lakh tonne of onions is being exported from India every month.
· Export deals are contracted around $250 per quintal as Indian onions are preferred over others and onion production is expected to improve by 10-15% in 2015-16 subject to weather conditions.
25). India tightens restrictions on Steel imports:
· India’s Commerce Ministry announced aminimum import price across different grades of steel in a bid to control the surge of cheap imports and stabilize local industries.
· The duty ranges from $341 to $752 per tonne of Steel and will be valid for 6 months.
· This is the Firstsuch restriction in 15 years
26). Doctors who accept Freebies to be punished:
· As per the guidelines to be introduced by theMedical Council of India, doctors who accept gifts and other facilities worth 5000 to 10000 from Pharmaceutical companies will have their state/national registration removed for3 months.
· If the gift costs50000 to 1 lakh punishment will be for a year as their connection with companies causes high drug prices.
27). Entertainment on demand launched at Hyderabad Airport:
· Mumbai based travel entertainment startup Fropcorn has launched its entertainment on demand services at theRajiv Gandhi International Airport in Hyderabad.
· Through this Flyers can download a movie from over 200 options on their phone in 3 minutes.
· The service will be available for free for the first 2 weeks, after which download charges will be 50 to 100rs.
28). LinkedIn Acquires hiring Startup Connectifier:
· Linkedin has acquired Connectifier, a startup that helps recruiters find suitable talent.
· Connectifiers search technology draws on Artificial Intelligence and its search index contains profiles for over 400 million job candidates.
· Its Customers includeFacebook,NetFlix and Twitter.
· Other recent Linkedin acquistions includeFliptop and Lynda.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
29). ISRO Satellite built at 60% of actual Cost:
· The New Weather Forecasting satellite being developed by ISRO is being built at 60% of the actual cost and in one third of the estimated time.
· The 301Kg Satellite namedScatSat-1 will help predict the beginning of Cyclones in Oceans.
· About 300 scientists are working on the Satellite at theSpace Applications Centre in Ahmadabad.
30). BBC broadcasts live rugby match to the ISS:
· British Media broadcaster BBC for thefirst time broadcasted a live stream of a ‘Six Nations Championship’ rugby match between Scotland and England, to theInternational Space Station(ISS)
· The live feed was first sent to theEuropean Space Agency, which then relayed it to NASA, who redirected it to British astronautTim Peake and his colleagues at the ISS.
31). India win 14 golds on day 1 of South Asian Games:
· On the opening day of the2016 South Asian Games, India won a total of19 medals-14 gold and 5 silver medals.
· The Indians won seven medals in Swimming, five in Wrestling, three in Weighlifting and Four in Cycling.
· Though Srilanka tallied 21 medals, they only had 4 gold medals, giving India the Top Spot.
32). Pawan Negi most expensive Indian in IPL Auction:
· Pawan Negibecame the most expensive Indian Player to be bought at the IPL Auction 2016.
· He was signed byDelhi Daredevils for 8.5 crores, eclipsing the7 crores paid for Yuvraj Singh by Sunrisers Hyderabad.
· Negi,who played for Chennai Superkings in the IPL last season, was also picked in the Indian squad for World T20.
33). India Through to Semi-Finals of U-19 World Cup:
· India defeated Namibia in the quarterfinal of the ICC U-19 World Cup, winning by 197 runs.
· Rishabh Pant’s 111 helped India score 346/9 in their 50 over’s. In reply Namibia dismissed for 152.
· The other teams qualified are:Srilanka and Bangladesh
34). Australia Defeated NZ in 2nd ODI to level series:
· Australia defeated New Zealand by 4 wickets in the second ODI of their tour to level theSeries 1-1.
· Batting First Kiwis Scored 281/9 in 50 overs and Australia Chased down and Clinched the Win.
35). Political Cartoonist Sudhir Tailang passes away:
· Renowned political Cartoonist Sudhir Tailang,who was suffering from Brain Tumour,passed away at the age of 55 in Gurgaon.
· Talang worked with the brands like Indian Express,Hindustan Times and Times of India. He was awardedPadma Shri in 2004 for his contribution in the art of Cartooning.
For more Daily Current Updates- Click Here