Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
World AIDS Day
- World AIDS Day, designated on 1 December every year since 1988, is an international day dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection and mourning those who have died of the disease.
- Government and health officials, non-governmental organizations, and individuals around the world observe the day, often with education on AIDS prevention and control.
|Theme 2019||“Communities make the difference”|
National Pollution Control Day
- National Pollution Control Day is observed every year on December 2. The aim behind the celebration of this day is to commemorate the people who lost their lives in the unfortunate incident of Bhopal Gas Tragedy that occurred on this day in the year 1984.
- There are basically three major objectives of National Pollution Control Day. It aims at raising awareness about the increasing air pollution and educating people about how to control and manage industrial disasters.
- National Pollution Control Day is celebrated to make everyone aware of the significance of the pollution control acts and ways to prevent the industrial pollution that is a result of human negligence.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
India becomes first country to make entire Haj process digital
- India has become the first country to make the entire process for pilgrims going on Haj completely digital.
- Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi stated that after signing the bilateral agreement for next year’s pilgrimage with the Saudi Haj Minister in Jeddah.
- An online application, e-visa, Haj mobile app, ‘e-MASIHA’ health facility, “e-luggage pre-tagging” providing all information in India itself regarding accommodation and transportation in Mecca and Madina will be provided to 2 lakh Indian Muslims going for Haj in 2020.
- The minister signed the bilateral annual Haj 2020 agreement between India and Saudi Arabia with Haj and Umrah Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammad Saleh bin Taher Benten. For the first time facilities were provided for digital pre-tagging of pilgrims’ baggage.
Government launches independent directors’ databank
- In a significant move, the government launched a databank of independent directors which will be a “comprehensive repository” of existing as well as those eligible to be independent directors.
- Set up under the Companies Act, 2013, independent directors are required to register themselves with the databank within three months from December 1, as per rules notified by the corporate affairs ministry.
- “Companies also may register themselves with the databank to search, select and connect with individuals who possess the right skills and attitude for being considered for appointment as independent directors”
- The databank is expected to become a comprehensive repository of both existing independent directors as well as individuals eligible and willing to be appointed as independent directors.
- The Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA), under the ministry, would be maintaining the databank portal.
India to import 110 lakh kg onions from Turkey amid rising prices
- State-owned trading firm MMTC has ordered import of 110 lakh kilogram of onions from Turkey amid rising prices.
- The consignment will begin arriving late this month or early January.
- The 110 lakh kilogram is in addition to over 60 lakh kilogram arriving from Egypt in the mid of this month. Onions are being sold for over ₹100 per kilogram.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
China to suspend US Navy visits to Hong Kong
- China will suspend US Navy visits to Hong Kong and sanction a range of pro-democracy non-governmental organizations.
- This is in retaliation for US Congress passing legislation supporting human rights in the semi-autonomous territory.
- China has long accused foreign groups and governments of fomenting the six-month-old demonstrations in Hong Kong.
Saudi Arabia becomes 1st Arab country to take over G20 presidency
- Saudi Arabia became the first Arab nation to assume the G20 presidency after it took over from Japan.
- The Saudi G20 presidency is committed to continuing the work from Osaka and promoting multilateral consensus.
- Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman hailed it as a “unique opportunity” to shape international consensus.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Vijayawada railway station bags ISO-14001 certification
- Vijayawada station, one of the busiest railway junctions in the country, has secured the prestigious Environmental Standard ISO 14001:2015 certification, making it an eco-smart station for efficient implementation of environment management system.
- Vijayawada is one of the three stations selected under South Central Railway, in addition to Secunderabad and Kacheguda, for development into eco-smart stations in tune with the National Green Tribunal directive.
- In all 36 railway stations across the country have been chosen, as per the NGT directive, for development into eco-smart stations.
- The ISO certificate would be valid till December 1, 2022, for implementing environmental management system using best and unique standards.
Mission Indradhanush begins in Rajasthan
- The state-level programme of Mission Indradhanush, a national vaccination campaign, began in Rajasthan. The campaign will be conducted in four stages in the state.
- This is the first phase of the intensive vaccination campaign. The second phase will start from January 6, the third from February 3 and the fourth from March 2. In each phase, vaccination will be done on seven working days.
- In the first phase of the campaign, 6071 vaccination sessions will be conducted and 10161 pregnant women and 42704 children will be immunised.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Ajit Doval to get honorary degree from HNBGU
- National Security Advisor Ajit Doval was awarded the honorary doctorate degree at the convocation ceremony of the Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University in Srinagar, Uttarakhand.
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank was also present at the ceremony.
- Doval stated that being awarded the doctorate in his native land was a matter of great honour for him.
Sub-lieutenant Shivangi becomes first woman pilot for Indian Navy
- Sub-lieutenant Shivangi became the first woman pilot for the Indian Navy.
- Shivangi was born in the city of Muzaffarpur in Bihar.
- Shivangi was commissioned into the Indian Navy last year after her initial training.
- She will be flying the Dornier surveillance aircraft of the Indian Navy.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Hari Mohan takes over as chairman of Ordnance Factory Board
- Senior Indian Ordnance Factories’ Service officer (IOFS) Hari Mohan took over as the new chairman of the city-headquartered Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).
- He succeeds Shri Saurabh Kumar who superannuated from the services.
Iraq’s Parliament approves Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi’s resignation
- Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi has submitted his resignation to Parliament amid ongoing anti-government protests in the country.
- The Iraqi protesters demand the overhaul of a political system which they say is corrupt and keeps them in poverty and without opportunity.
Former RBI deputy governor becomes chairman of micro-finance panel
- Former deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), H R Khan has been appointed as the first chairman of the steering committee of the Code for Responsible Lending (CRL) in micro-credit.
- The CRL is a self-regulatory step for the micro-credit industry making diverse entities like banks, NBFC-MFIs and NBFCs adhere to standards of customer protection.
- CRL was launched in September by MFIN and Sa-Dhan, an RBI-recognised association of MFIs, along with Finance Industry Development Council, an association of NBFCs.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT
UN Climate Change Conference to be held in Spain from Dec 2 – 13
- A two-week International Climate Conference started in Madrid, Spain
- United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has stated that the world’s efforts to stop climate change have been utterly inadequate so far and there is a danger global warming could pass the point of no return.
- Delegates from almost 200 countries will try to put the finishing touches on the rules governing the 2015 Paris climate accord at the meeting. Organizers expect around 29,000 visitors, including some 50 heads of State and Government for today’s opening, as well as scientists, seasoned negotiators and activists during the two-week meeting.
- The main task of the conference is to be taking a few important steps, which are the UN climate change agenda, including dealing with several issues pertaining to the full operationalization of the Paris Climate Change Agreement.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
IIT Researchers to offer an AI-based one-stop repository on Mahatma Gandhi
- Gandhipedia, a one-stop repository on the life and times as well as the contributions of Mahatma Gandhi, is being created with the help of Artificial Intelligence (AI), by Indian researchers.
- Commemorating the 150th birth anniversary of MK Gandhi, it will be an exhaustive portal for browsing the life, literature, contributions and his social network.
- The venture is the collaborative effort of the IIT KGP (Kharagpur) has joined hands with National Council of Science Museums and IIT Gandhinagar.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
13th South Asian Games formally begins in Kathmandu
- 13th South Asian Games have formally begun in Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal.
- Vice President Nanda Bahadur Pun, Chairman of National Assembly Ganesh Timilsina, Deputy Prime Minister Ishwor Pokharel, Ministers from South Asian countries and a large number of other dignitaries also graced the opening ceremony. Over 2700 athletes from seven South Asian Countries participated in the march past.
- During 10 days biggest sporting event of South Asia, 2715 athletes compete for 1119 medals including 319 Gold in 26 game categories. India is represented by 487 athletes. The closing ceremony will be held on 10th December.
Lewis Hamilton won the season ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2019
- World champion Lewis Hamilton cruised to victory from pole position at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, capping another stellar season with an 11th win and 84th overall.
- The six-time Formula One champion is now only seven wins behind seven-time F1 champion Michael Schumacher’s all-time record of 91, which he could realistically overtake next season
Senior Wrestling National Championships: Vinesh Phogat, Sakshi Malik clinch gold
- Star wrestlers Vinesh Phogat and Sakshi Malik win in the finals to claim gold medals at the Senior Wrestling National Championships in Jalandhar.
- While Phogat beat 20-year-old Haryana’s Anju 7-3 in the 55kg category, Olympic bronze medalist Malik defeated Radhika of Haryana 4-2 in the 62kg category.
- In the 68kg category, 35-year-old Haryana wrestler Anita Sheoran stunned Commonwealth Games bronze medallist Divya Kakran.
- Punjab’s 35-year-old Gursharan Kaur, claimed the title in the 76kg category, with a 4-2 win over Pooja of Haryana.
Gurpreet Singh, Sunil Kumar clinch gold medals in Senior National Championships
- In wrestling, Asian Championships silver medallists Gurpreet Singh and Sunil Kumar clinched gold medals on the final day of the senior national championships in Jalandhar.
- In the 55 kg category, Arjun, representing Services, won against Ajay by technical superiority.