SBI PO Exam pattern 2020:
State Bank of India PO exam needs a highly dedicated hard work. For that, the SBI PO exam pattern is very much important before you start the preparation. Here we have updated the SBI PO exam pattern for prelims and mains.
The SBI PO 2020 exam pattern is the schedule that mentions the sections that are included in the exam. Also, SBI PO exam 2020 pattern contains a number of questions, total marks and time duration for all the sections. Without the SBI PO exam pattern 2020, you cannot have a strategy.The SBI PO Exam pattern helps to analyze your strong and weak zones. By referring to the SBI bank PO exam pattern you can know the outline of the exam. Also, it will help you to prepare an exam strategy by referring to the weightage of questions. “What is the pattern of SBI PO exam?” is a common question among the aspirants after notification release. Here the SBI PO pattern is updated for both prelims and mains. Candidates check it before you start the preparation.
Get more: SBI PO Notification PDF
SBI PO Selection Procedure:
There are three phases in the SBI PO selection process. They are given below in order as follows,
- Online Preliminary exam
- Online Mains exam
- Group exercise and interview
Each and every stage is a hurdle for the candidates. If you clear all these hurdles successfully, you can achieve your goal. Go through the updated SBI PO exam pattern and syllabus for all the stages and plan your preparation well. A well-planned preparation gives you real success.
Most of the candidates clear the prelims stage very easily. But the mains stage is very difficult to clear. In recent times, the SBI PO mains is the very difficult exam to crack. So candidates have to put in lot of efforts to crack the mains exam. Here SBI PO mains exam pattern and syllabus are available. Check them and plan a strategy for you. Only then you can handle the mains exam well.
SBI PO Prelims Exam Pattern 2020:
The SBI PO pre exam pattern is given for your reference. It consists of 3 sections namely English language, quantitative aptitude and reasoning ability. The important details about the SBI PO prelims exam pattern are given here.
Prelims Exam Details:
- The reasoning ability section has 35 questions comprising for totally for 35 marks.
- The English language section will have 30 questions. Each question carries one mark, such that the total marks for this section is 30.
- The quantitative aptitude section has 35 questions. The total marks for this section is 35.
- So, totally the exam has 100 questions and the total marks for the exam is 100.
- Students have to clear the overall cut off to clear the prelims examination. But there is no sectional cut off as per the SBI PO prelims exam pattern 2020.
- For each correct answer, you will get one mark
- There is a penalty for wrong answers. For each wrong answer, you will lose 0.25 marks as a penalty.
- If a question is left blank, i.e. if no answer is marked, there will be no penalty for that question.
- Each section will have a separate timing of 20 minutes.
- In the exam, a section appears first. After the completion of 20 minutes, the next section appears automatically. In the halfway, you cannot swap between the sections.
|S No.||Section||No. Of questions||Maximum marks||Duration|
|1.||Reasoning ability||35||35||20 minutes|
|2.||Quantitative aptitude||35||35||20 minutes|
|3.||English language||30||30||20 minutes|
SBI PO Mains Exam Pattern 2020:
The SBI PO mains exam pattern has 4 sections. They are English language, general awareness, data interpretation & analysis and reasoning ability & computer aptitude. There is negative marking for the wrong answers. Also sectional time is available as mentioned in the table. Apart from these sections, there will be a descriptive test. In this descriptive test, you have to type a letter writing and an essay in 30 minutes. The total marks for the descriptive test is 50. The detailed information about the SBI PO mains exam pattern 2020 is given for your reference.
Mains Exam Details:
- The reasoning ability & computer aptitude section contains a total of 45 questions. The total marks for this section is 60. The sectional timing for this section is 60 minutes.
- The data interpretation and analysis section has 35 questions in total. The maximum marks for this section is also 60. The sectional time duration for this part is 45 minutes.
- In general / economy / banking awareness section, totally 40 questions are available. The total marks for this section is 40. Also 35 minutes of time duration is given for this section.
- The English language section has a total of 35 questions. The maximum marks for this part is 40. Also the sectional timing for this part is40 minutes.
- Also, 1/4th of marks assigned to the question will be deducted as penalty for each wrong answer.
- Like prelims exam, mains also have no sectional cut off. The candidates clearing the overall cut off are shortlisted for the group exercise and personal interview.
- As there are sectional timings as mentioned, you cannot swap between the sections as per your wish
- Apart from these four sections, SBI PO mains exam pattern also have a descriptive test. After the completion of four sections, automatically the page for descriptive test will appear on the screen.
- In the descriptive test you have to type letter writing and an essay. The time duration for the descriptive test is 30 minutes. The total marks for the descriptive test is 50.
- Including descriptive test, the total marks for the SBI PO mains exam is 250.
|S No.||Section||No. Of questions||Maximum marks||Duration|
|1.||Reasoning ability & computer aptitude||45||60||60 minutes|
|2.||Data interpretation and analysis||35||60||45 minutes|
|3.||General/ Economy/ Banking awareness||40||40||35 minutes|
|4.||English language||35||40||40 minutes|
|Descriptive test: Letter and essay writing||2||50||30 minutes|
Group Exercise and Interview:
The candidates clearing the mains exam are called for the third and final round. In this round, group exercise and interview are conducted. The total marks for the group exercise is 20. For the interview round the maximum marks is 30. So, the maximum marks for the final phase of the SBI PO recruitment is 50. THE SBI PO exam pattern, i.e., mark split of group exercise and interview rounds are given in table.
|Name of the Round||Maximum marks|
After the completion of all the phases, the merit list is prepared based on the final cut off. The final cut off is arrived based on the following steps.
- The prelims marks are not taken into consideration while calculating the final cut off.
- The marks obtained in mains exam and final phase are taken to arrive the final cut off score.
- The total marks for the mains exam is 250 (including the marks of descriptive test). The marks scored by candidate out of 250 is converted to out of 75 marks.
- The total marks for the group exercise and interview round is 50. Here, the marks scored out of 50 is converted to out of 25 marks.
- By adding these two arrived marks, the final scores of candidates out of 100 are calculated.
- Based on the available vacancies, a final cut off out of 100 is fixed. The candidates scoring above the cut off marks are included for the preparation of final merit list.
So candidates refer to the SBI PO exam pattern pdf. Then with a proper preparation plan you can crack this exam easily.
SBI PO Syllabus:
“What is the syllabus for SBI PO exam?” The Syllabus for SBI PO contains the exam topics of all the sections. So you can refer to it and prepare for the exam easily. A proper study plan can be prepared only with reference to the updated syllabus. As like SBI PO 2020 exam pattern, here the complete updated SBI PO syllabus 2020 pdf download for both prelims and mains is given.
SBI PO Prelims Syllabus 2020:
For all the 3 sections of the prelims exam, the updated syllabus is provided here. Almost every topic is covered under these 3 sections. So you can make your preparation more effective.
|Reasoning Ability||Quantitative Aptitude||English language|
|Syllogism||Sequence & Series||Reading comprehension|
|Direction sense||Ratio and proportion||Cloze test|
|Alpha-numeric series||Average||Error spotting|
|Order and ranking||Partnership||Paragraph completion|
|Puzzle||Quadratic equation||Sentence connectors|
|Seating arrangement||Profit and Loss||Miscellaneous|
|Input Output||Time and work|
|Coding decoding||Pipes and cisterns|
|Data sufficiency||Boats and stream|
|Tabulation||Problems on age|
|Logical reasoning||Problems on train|
|Mixture of allegation|
|Time, speed & distance|
|Simple and Compound interest|
|Permutation, combination & probability|
SBI PO Mains Syllabus 2020:
The SBI PO mains syllabus for all the sections are covered in the below table.
|Reasoning Ability||Data analysis and interpretation||Computer Aptitude||General awareness||English language|
|Syllogism||Sequence & Series||Internet||Current affairs||Reading comprehension|
|Coded Inequality||Tabular graph||MS Office||Financial awareness||Para jumbles|
|Coded Direction sense||Line graph||Memory||Static GK||Cloze test|
|Coded Blood relation||Pie chart||Computer hardware||Banking awareness||Fillers|
|Alpha-numeric series||Bar graph||Keyboard shortcuts||Error spotting|
|Order and ranking||Radar graph||Computer fundamentals||Paragraph completion|
|Scheduling||Missing DI||Computer abbreviations||Sentence connectors|
|Tabulation||Caselet DI||Computer terminologies||Word association|
|Input Output||Data sufficiency||Operating system||Vocabulary|
|Coding decoding||Permutation, combination & probability||Number system||Verbal ability|
|Data sufficiency||Miscellaneous||Networking||Sentence improvement|
|Critical reasoning||Basic of logic gates||Miscellaneous|
|Circle Seating arrangement|
|Square seating arrangement|
|Analytical and decision making|
|Course of action|
Get More: SBI PO Syllabus
Use of Scribe & compensatory time:
In SBI PO application form the candidates wishing to have scribe should mention it in their online application form. The facility of scribe is allowed to a candidate only if the percentage disability is 40% or more. And the compensatory time is for the candidates having disability with the physical limitation to write including that of speed. In all such cases where a scribe is used, and the following rules are applicable.
- Only if the candidate mention in the application, he can attend the exam with a help of scribe.
- Both the candidate and the scribe will have to give a suitable undertaking at the time of exam. Also, the undertaking must be in the prescribed format.
- The candidates eligible to take test with a scribe will have the eligibility for the compensatory time also.
- For such candidates, compensatory time of 20 minutes for every hour of exam is allowed in the SBI PO exam pattern. It is no matter whether he is availing the facility of scribe or not.
- Candidate should arrange their own scribe at own cost.
SBI PO Exam Strategy:
Candidates refer the SBI PO syllabus and exam pattern to prepare a strategy for you. The strategy should be in such a way that you could score more mark in the exam.Here we have added the exam strategies for each of the section.
Get More: SBI PO Previous Year Papers
As per the SBI PO prelims exam pattern 2020, the number of questions in this section is 30. If you are strong in grammar, then you can easily score in most parts of this section. In this section, the time consuming topics are jumbled sentences and reading comprehension. So attend these topics finally. At first you can target some topics that are listed below,
- Spot the error
- Cloze test
- Fill in the blanks
As per the SBI PO mains exam pattern 2020, this section has 35 questions. In mains exam also you can follow the same exam strategy as said above. But the standard of questions will be very high. Therefore, your preparation have to match those standards. For that, you should practice more mock tests on all the topics. Try to improve your accuracy in this section. Analyse the SBI PO exam pattern and cut off marks. You will come to know about the importance of this section. If you score well in this section, your burden for the other section will reduce considerably.
As per the SBI PO pattern, this section contains 30 questions in the preliminary exam. This section needs fast calculation tricks and short cut methods. Only then, you can shine in this part. Coming to the strategy, aim to score marks from the easier topics first. In these topics, maintain your speed and accuracy at a high rate. Then automatically you can harvest a big score from this section. Some of the target topics for this section are,
- Simplification and approximation
- Wrong number series and missing number series
- Data interpretation (Easy to moderate level)
- Quadratic equation
In prelims exam the order of question selection is very important. If you excel in that factor you can easily attend more questions. Attend the difficult word problems at last. Also, if the data interpretation is difficult, skip it or attend at final timing.
As per the SBI PO exam pattern 2020 for the mains exam, this section has 35 questions. But it covers a bulk of 60 marks. So the standard of questions also will be very high. You have to attend too many mock tests and gain experience before the exam. Also, you can expect more questions from the data interpretation topic. All the data interpretation will be in a difficult manner. So refer to the old question papers and practice sample DI questions. So that you can attend this section without any fear in mains exam.
As per the SBI PO prelims exam pattern, the reasoning section has a total of 35 questions. Most of the candidates are stronger in this section. So in the competition you also have to attend more questions in an accurate manner. In this section, some topics are very easy. Some of them are listed below,
- Alphanumeric series
- Direction sense
- Blood relation
- Order and ranking
You can attend the questions in this order itself. If you are comfortable with a different order, then stick to your strategy. After completing these topics attend the puzzles and seating arrangements. If you follow this strategy, you can cover more questions in a very less time.
As per the SBI PO mains exam pattern, this section has 45 questions in total. However, it covers a whopping 60 marks. This is because the questions will be at hard level. Strategy wise you can follow the above said order. But you can attend decent number of questions, only if you practice with a complete dedication. So practice in a serious manner for this section in mains exam.
As per the SBI PO mains exam pattern 2020, the general awareness section covers 40 questions. The prelims exam not includes this section. However, in mains exam, this section plays a major role in the final results. More candidates have missed the victory due to less marks in this section. Use the following tips to score more marks in this section.
- Read current affairs in a daily manner. Only then you can complete bulk amount of topics within the exam time.
- Prepare a notes and revise it daily. So that you will not forget the important points
- Attend online quizzes regularly. It is the only way to improve your accuracy for this section.
- Use power capsules for the revision purpose. The power capsules will make your revision works much easier.
Start Practice: SBI PO Mock Test
SBI PO Preparation Tips :
- Know SBI PO syllabus and exam pattern
- Check the previous years’ question papers
- Brush up the basic skills
- Revise through short video tutorials
- Build a section-wise strategy to attempt the exam
- Analyse mock test and identify weak areas
- Read newspaper daily to increase your General Knowledge skills
- Practice regularly the Numerical Ability and Problem Solving Skills
- Do not do guesswork to avoid negative marking
Importance of Previous Year Paper Practice:
We have given the updated syllabus and exam pattern of SBI PO. This will help you to proceed your preparation. But candidates should practice with smart methods to take lead in the competition. If you practice with the SBI PO previous year papers it will help you a lot in improving your performance.
- More practice of previous year paper will help you to deal with difficult questions easily.
- You can become a master in every tougher topics such as puzzles, seating arrangement, etc.
- It is a real exam point of view preparation. Practice papers with timing as per the real exam. So that it will be a trial for the exam
The previous year papers will reflect the exact SBI PO exam pattern. So practice with previous year papers more.
Importance of Mock Test Practice:
Our part is to give you the updated SBI PO exam pattern and syllabus. It is all in your hands to practice well with the available sources. We have prepared a very good mock test series for the SBI PO exam. The importance of SBI PO mock test are,
- You can get rid of various careless mistakes through the mock test practice.
- Through the mock test practice you can learn more exam point of view difficult question.
- After the completion of the mock test practice, you can check detailed solutions for all the questions. So that you can easily clarify your doubts.
- After the completion of mock test you can find your real preparation standard. So that it will help you to optimize your preparation to score much in the exam.
- The mock tests are based on the actual SBI PO prelims and mains exam patterns. Also it follows the updated syllabus.
- Mock tests will easily eliminate your exam fear.
- After a continuous mock test practice you will get a good flow in selecting correct questions.
- Finally you can enhance your speed, accuracy and time management skills through the mock test practice.
In the basic preparation level do more topic tests to analyse your strength and weakness. Then move on to the sectional mock test practice. Finally move on to full length mock test practice. Before the exam practice more full length mock tests.
Practice through Online Videos:
Some people may find it very difficult and boring to prepare with the books and other study materials. For them online video course is the best option. The importance of video course learning are available here.
- The faculty members are very well trained in all the subjects.
- They will teach you as per the updated SBI PO exam pattern and syllabus.
- They will teach you very important short cuts and tricks. Learn them to save time in the exam
- They will handle doubt sessions to clear your doubts.
- You can learn from your home itself. It will give you a lot of convenience in exam preparation.
So candidates can also opt this method of learning for the SBI PO exam. It will be very useful in learning a lot of tips from the trainers to crack the SBI PO exams.
Learn through E-books:
E-books are very good sources to prepare for the SBI PO exam. Some people will find it hard to carry more test books for the preparation and practice. Those people can download the E-books for the exam preparation. The importance of E-books are,
- You can download any number of data and prepare whenever you want.
- It will cover the actual SBI PO exam pattern and syllabus.
- You can see the elaborated solutions and descriptions for all the puzzles and difficult problems.
- For preparing topics like banking awareness, static GK, etc, E-books are very good source.
So candidate use E-books for your SBI PO exam preparation.
SBI PO Previous Year Exam Analysis:
Exam analysis is very important in your preparation part. As you analyse the SBI PO exam pattern and syllabus, you have to check the previous year exam analysis. It will help you to revamp your preparation as per the previous year exam difficulty level. Also you can prepare each section taking it as a reference and benchmark. The SBI PO exam analysis will deal about the difficulties of each section and the individual topics. Also you can know the number of questions asked in each topic. More importantly the exam analysis will assess the number of good attempts in each section and the overall good attempts. By referring to this SBI PO exam analysis candidates can easily know the toughness level of the exam. Here the SBI PO previous year exam analysis has been added for your reference.
SBI PO 2019 Mains Exam Analysis:
Name of the Subject
|Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||13-19|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation||10-13|
|General / Economy / Banking Awareness||24-28|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation – Moderate to Hard|
|Topics||No. of Questions|
|New Pattern Number Series||3|
|Population Density Based Graph DI||3|
|New Pattern Time and work Table Based DI||4|
|Probability Based DI||4|
|Quantity I, II and III||3|
|Reasoning & Computer Aptitude – Moderate to Hard|
|Topics||No. of Questions|
|Statement and inference||4|
|Statement and conclusion||4|
|Course of action||3|
|Input and Output||4|
|Coded Direction Sense||3|
|English Language – Easy to Moderate|
|Topics||No. of Questions|
|Reading Comprehension (New Pattern) 5-6 Paragraphs given||20|
|Single Fillers (New Pattern)Based on column||5|
The level of general awareness section was easy to moderate. Most of the general Awareness questions are from current affairs section from January to June 2019. Some questions from static GK was asked. The break up is given below.
- Current Affairs – 35 questions
- Static GK – 5 questions
The topics asked in the descriptive test are given below.
The Essay topics were based on
- Internet Banking
- Financial Inclusion
Also the letter writing topics are based on
- A Letter to Bank Manager
- Thank you letter for friend
SBI PO Cut Off:
Cut Off is the minimum required marks to get qualified in the exam. Here the SBI PO previous year cut offs have been mentioned for your reference. It will help you to know about the standard of the exam. Here the SBI PO cut offs at various stages for the years 2018 and 2019 has been compared. So you can get a clear vision about the increase in competition and cut off.
As per the SBI PO exam pattern there is no sectional cut off. So candidates focus on your strong zones and try to boost your total score. Only then you can crack the overall cut off.
SBI PO Prelims Cut Off (Out of 100)
|category||SBI PO Mains Cut Off (Out of 250)|
|D & E||75.14||–|
SBI PO Mains Final Normalized Cut Off (Out of 100)
|D & E||33.37||–|
- Along with the SBI PO exam pattern and syllabus, the candidates have to analyse all these data. So that they can easily come to a conclusion on how to crack the SBI PO exam in the very first attempt. Yes, the candidates can even clear this exam in the very first attempt itself. For that a lot of analysis, practice, confidence and preparation are needed. A focussed preparation and practice will surely give you the success soon.
Some Common Exam Tips:
Here we are giving you some common exam tips. Some tips may look very simple. But it will have a huge impact on your performance. Every single mark is very essential to succeed in the SBI PO exam. By looking at SBI PO exam pattern yo can find the section which has more weightage. Then as per your strength, fix a strategy.
- Don’t prefer a very tougher puzzle or seating arrangement in the beginning time of the exam. It will lower your confidence if you take more time on it.
- Don’t recheck a solution after having solved a question. Because it will consume again some more. Also if you get a different answer second time, then it will decrease your confidence level further.
- Concentrate fully on the question, especially while solving puzzle, seating arrangement, data interpretation, etc. If you lose concentration, then you will end up with a tragedy for sure.
- Don’t attend questions in a fluke manner. It will lower your accuracy. Your total score will get affected due to the negative marking.
Some Useful Preparation Aspects:
Many candidates are failing in the exam due to their weakness in any particular section. As per the SBI PO exam pattern, analyze your weak sections first. Then try to enhance your marks in that section. Here a general preparation aspect is given here to crack the SBI PO exam.
- Concentrate more on general awareness part and English language section. These sections will surely give you a huge lead in the competition.
- If you are good in reasoning or aptitude, don’t be careless and ignore them in the daily preparation. Allocate sufficient time for those sections also.
- Concentrate more on prelims first. Many candidates think it as easy round and fail there itself.
So candidates follow these methods to get success in SBI PO exams.
Frequently Asked Questions:
FAQs will clarify the common doubts of candidates. So refer to the questions given below.
Does the SBI PO exam have negative marking?
Yes, as per SBI PO exam pattern 2020, both prelims and mains have negative marking of 1/4th of the marks assigned, for each wrong answer.
Is there any percentage criteria for SBI PO?
No, there are not any minimum percentage criteria to apply for this exam.
There is sectional cut off for each section in the SBI PO exam?
There is no sectional cut off for both prelims and mains. If the candidates clear the overall cut off, it is more than enough to qualify for the further rounds
When can I apply for the SBI PO 2020?
You can apply for SBI PO 2020 as soon as the Notification is released. You can expect it to be released in June 2020.
What is the marking scheme for SBI PO Syllabus 2020?
There will be three sections: Prelims, Mains, GD and PI. Prelims will be of 100 marks, Mains of 250 marks including the Descriptive Test while GD & PI will be of 20 and 30 marks respectively.
What is the criteria for final selection as an SBI PO?
The final selection will be made on the basis of the marks secured in the SBI PO Mains and GD & PI.
What kind of topics will be asked for SBI PO GD and PI?
The topics will cover the issues of burning issues of national and international interest. The topics can be related to NPI, Natural Calamity, Women Empowerment, Digitisation, etc.
How can I prepare for the SBI PO Exam Online?
You can study online by visiting at https://estore.ibpsguide.com/ You will get video lectures, E-books, Books and other materials as well.